Following Former Red Sox: 2014

nattysez

Member
SoSH Member
Sep 30, 2010
3,873
knucklecup said:
RT @timdierkes: Wily Mo Pena, 33 in January, looking for MLB contract for 2015. 29 HR in Japan this year. 3 interested teams.
When he connects, it's a beautiful thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s67DmbCsSf0
 

Gash Prex

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 18, 2002
1,882
I can't believe how bad Drew has been this season and he's been even worse for the Yankees.  A .138 BA, .233 OBP - an ops+ of 34!!!  By comparison Xander has an OPS of 87 for the year so far.  I suspect he'll be looking at a minor league contract, certainly not a guaranteed salary for millions of dollars.  
 
While I am not sure who was driving that bus this past off season, my gut tells me he lost many millions of dollars by following Boras' advice.  
 

Plympton91

bubble burster
SoSH Member
Oct 19, 2008
12,079
Gash Prex said:
I can't believe how bad Drew has been this season and he's been even worse for the Yankees.  A .138 BA, .233 OBP - an ops+ of 34!!!  By comparison Xander has an OPS of 87 for the year so far.  I suspect he'll be looking at a minor league contract, certainly not a guaranteed salary for millions of dollars.  
 
While I am not sure who was driving that bus this past off season, my gut tells me he lost many millions of dollars by following Boras' advice.  
Yeah, it is just absolutely mind boggling. And it's not just this year, having been helpless at the plate in the playoffs last season too. While arguing for the Red Sox to sign him, or for some team to give him big money last offseason, I like most, thought that was just an ill-timed slump. But, it's been like some switch went off last October 1 (he was great last August/September) that just made it impossible for him to hit, almost like a hitters version of Steve Blass disease. I thought his very nice July was the start of a good finish and salary push, but it's just reverted to awfulness.
 

InsideTheParker

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
25,980
Pioneer Valley
Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat said:
Our former pitchers are impacting the NL Central race tonight...
 
Doubront is shutting out Pittsburgh through 6
Morales gave up 4 runs in 4 innings against St. Louis
Doubront has an ERA of 1.5 with Chicago. They can't hit in the NL or Theo's coaches saw something that Nieves missed? Or something else altogether.
 

mabrowndog

Ask me about total zone...or paint
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 23, 2003
39,676
Falmouth, MA
InsideTheParker said:
Doubront has an ERA of 1.5 with Chicago. They can't hit in the NL or Theo's coaches saw something that Nieves missed? Or something else altogether.
 
Sometimes it's just a matter of a player tuning out from the input of his environment after it's become so familiar to him, and a change of scenery putting his head back where it needs to be. For the first time in his career, Doubront experienced prolonged failure. It couldn't be rectified, and he was moved to the bullpen. I have no doubt that no matter how much Sox coaches & FO personnel tried to couch their impatience with smiles, their collective changes in persona (be they frustration, patronization or condescension) were readily visible to Doubront. And I wouldn't be surprised if that reinforced his resistance to any advice being given.
 
So he gets to the Cubs organization with lots of fresh faces and voices, but enough familiarity (Theo and other ex-Boston staffers) to get somewhat comfortable. He settles down & relaxes, returning his focus to where it needs to be. The talent everyone knows has been there all along resurfaces and is reflected in performance.
 
I'm not surprised one bit. To look to assign blame within Boston's coaching or management staff is a natural reaction, but it's also a fool's errand. It's certainly disappointing when a club's 9-year investment in developing a player from the age of 17 bears so little fruit, but this sort of thing happens all the time in sports and other vocations.
 

soxhop411

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 4, 2009
34,211
X posting from September game thread

Papelbon blew the save. Fans booed him. Papelbon grabbed crotch in front of dugout towards fans. Umps saw it. Umps ejected papelbon.
 

NDame616

will bailey
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2006
1,763
soxhop411 said:
X posting from September game thread

Papelbon blew the save. Fans booed him. Papelbon grabbed crotch in front of dugout towards fans. Umps saw it. Umps ejected papelbon.
 
http://deadspin.com/jonathan-papelbon-ejected-for-grabbing-crotch-at-booing-1634651203?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
 
Video goodness
 
With like 12 games left, looking at Paps reaction in which he makes contact with the ump, it wouldn't surprise me if he's thrown his last pitch on the Phillies this year
 

Spacemans Bong

chapeau rose
SoSH Member
soxhop411 said:
How is Joe west allowed to just toss him aside like that?
 
Because Papelbon is acting, as usual, like a jackass?
 
Somebody screams in your face while doing the "Hold me back, bro!!!!111" look, I think you're entitled a free swing. Which, considering how easily Joe West tossed the illiterate rube aside, would have been mighty entertaining.
 

NDame616

will bailey
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2006
1,763
I usually am of the opinion of the umps are wrong in the way they respond, usually they are the instigator and if someone breaths on them they get belligerent, but I don't think West acted inappropriately there. Paps was clearly the aggressor.
 

InsideTheParker

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
25,980
Pioneer Valley
Barry Larkin (espn) seemed to buy Papelbon's explanation that he was just "adjusting himself," and implied that Joe West should be fined for putting hands on Pap. I surely don't see it that way, myself.
 

wade boggs chicken dinner

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 26, 2005
17,278
Doubront has an ERA of 1.5 with Chicago. They can't hit in the NL or Theo's coaches saw something that Nieves missed? Or something else altogether.
It's three games, one of which was STL (described above) and the other two against PIT, which is much worse against lefties than righties.

Also, in the two games against PIT, he went 11 IPs with 3 BBs versus 2 Ks (BABIP was .270 in the first game; .190 in the second game).

Perhaps it's all just good luck.
 

JimD

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 29, 2001
6,703
InsideTheParker said:
Barry Larkin (espn) seemed to buy Papelbon's explanation that he was just "adjusting himself," and implied that Joe West should be fined for putting hands on Pap. I surely don't see it that way, myself.
 
Does Larkin have access to some secret ESPN footage that shows West running up to confront Papelbon and not the other way around?
 

The Gray Eagle

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2001
12,935
Andrew Miller just blew away the Yankees for an inning and a third with sick and nasty stuff. Thanks, beautiful!

As of right now, Miller is one of the best setup men in the game. Some team is going to make him a closer next year, and he will get paid like a top closer too.
 

Soxfan in Fla

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 30, 2001
7,123
The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa said:
Jonathan Papelbon got exactly what he wanted.
While in some ways I feel you are right I can't help but think if Paps grabbed that fat slob West by the shirt and tossed aside in the same manner Paps would be suspended for a month. If the players can't lay hands on the umps the same should apply considering a chunk of them get more aggressive by the year. IMO there are 2 wrongs here, not just one.
 

InsideTheParker

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
25,980
Pioneer Valley
Soxfan in Fla said:
While in some ways I feel you are right I can't help but think if Paps grabbed that fat slob West by the shirt and tossed aside in the same manner Paps would be suspended for a month. If the players can't lay hands on the umps the same should apply considering a chunk of them get more aggressive by the year. IMO there are 2 wrongs here, not just one.
As a woman, if someone confronted me and blocked my path the way that Papelbon did West, I would probably try to dodge out of the way under one of Paps' outstretched arms and run. But it doesn't strike me as the kind of thing that a man would do. The other umpires would usually intervene, but they didn't get there fast enough. I don't blame West at all.
 

Smiling Joe Hesketh

All Hail King Boron
Dope
May 20, 2003
30,642
Deep inside Muppet Labs
Umps should not be laying hands on the players either, though, and West has a long history of confrontational and escalating episodes (particularly with Milton Bradley). Papelbon is in the wrong and was acting like a jackass, but West is as well. West cannot be grabbing a player's shirt like that and moving him aside, it's unacceptable.
 

threecy

Cosbologist
SoSH Member
Sep 1, 2006
1,532
Tamworth, NH
Smiling Joe Hesketh said:
Papelbon is in the wrong and was acting like a jackass, but West is as well. West cannot be grabbing a player's shirt like that and moving him aside, it's unacceptable.
Agreed...the shirt grabbing elevated it to a different level in my eyes.
 

JimD

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 29, 2001
6,703
Where were the Phillies coaches and/or manager?  Papelbon was already back in the dugout and left it to go confront West, correct?  You can't let your players do that.
 

strek1

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 13, 2006
23,149
Hartford area
During the Phillies game broadcast, Jamie Moyer, defended Papelbon's crotch grab:     "There's a lot going on down there."
 
 
Sorry Jamie,  Way TOO MUCH of a cooincidence to have Jock itch at that particular time.
 

Andrew

broke his neck in costa rica
SoSH Member
Jan 20, 2006
12,011
Western Massachusetts
If MLB had a problem with what Papelbon did and they wanted to fine and suspend him, that'd be more than justified in my book. Joe West ejecting him and grabbing by the jersey is complete bullshit, and just more of the horsecrap Joe West pulls. From this to saying the Red Sox and Yankees should swing at more pitches, to promoting his horrible country music, Joe West always has an agenda and I'm so sick of it. 
 
Edit: Right, I also forgot when he called Milton Bradley "boy". Probably the only time in chronic rager Bradley's life that he was justified in being so pissed off. 
 

mt8thsw9th

anti-SoSHal
SoSH Member
Jul 17, 2005
17,111
Brooklyn
Why are people completely forgetting in 2003 when Joe West basically threatened Doug Mirabelli with retribution in the playoffs after ejecting him from a game at the end of that season? And that was after West blew a call pretty badly.
 

Smiling Joe Hesketh

All Hail King Boron
Dope
May 20, 2003
30,642
Deep inside Muppet Labs
Andrew said:
If MLB had a problem with what Papelbon did and they wanted to fine and suspend him, that'd be more than justified in my book. Joe West ejecting him and grabbing by the jersey is complete bullshit, and just more of the horsecrap Joe West pulls. From this to saying the Red Sox and Yankees should swing at more pitches, to promoting his horrible country music, Joe West always has an agenda and I'm so sick of it. 
 
Edit: Right, I also forgot when he called Milton Bradley "boy". Probably the only time in chronic rager Bradley's life that he was justified in being so pissed off. 
West also confiscated Bradley's equipment and refused to give it back to him after an ejection. They had a long history of run-ins. An umpire cannot be escalating the situation in any way.
 
God, though, Papelbon is such an asshole. What the hell is wrong with him? We all know he's a dolt, but come on, he's an adult and he knows full well he can't be yanking his chain like that in front of the crowd, who were booing him because he was terrible.
 
Jul 10, 2002
4,279
Behind
And the denial is ridiculous.  That's what is making him more of a douche in this particular instance.
 
I've seen the still image (haven't we all), and that was an intentional crotch grab towards the fans that he was trying to pass-off as innocent.  And he sure is trying to stick to that story.  Own up to it Papelbon.
 

TheYaz67

Member
SoSH Member
May 21, 2004
4,712
Justia Omnibus
Remember now that without Joe West's keen eyes and steel resolve, perhaps Slappy's knocking of the ball out of Arroyo's glove in Game 6 of the 2004 ALCS stands, and the greatest choke job in the history of the MLB never happens....  so a big Joe West fan here!
 
That and Papelbon is a moron.
 

ScubaSteveAvery

Master of the Senate
SoSH Member
Jul 29, 2007
8,329
Everywhere
vadertime said:
Kyle Weiland is alive, well, apparently still active.  According to his baseball cube page he pitched in 14 minor league games this year for various Houston affiliates.
 
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=Kyle-Weiland
 
Apparently he almost died.  From an Astros blogger who interviewed him in September 2013:
 

Q: Can you give us a glimpse in to what your life has been like the past year and a half and, also, what is your status currently (from a physical standpoint)? 
 
A: Hmmm…it’s such a long story, but I’ll do my best to summarize it for you. I’ll start from the beginning, talking about going from a high to a low; I started out on an ultimate high, realizing that my childhood dream of becoming a Major League Baseball player had actually become a reality when I broke camp with the Astros to an ultimate low, as I found out later (via my at home nurse), fighting not just for my career, but for my life from a shoulder infection. Three surgeries and months of IV antibiotics later, with a new hole in my rotator cuff, demolished cartilage, and a removed biceps tendon, here I am today. Following my second surgery, doctors told me my career was now just a question mark, which was one of the hardest things I have ever had to hear in my life. Regardless, I decided that my life and career were not in any human hands, and I made a deal with God that if I made it back to baseball, it was because it was what He wanted, and that if it was His will, I would give all the credit to Him. So every single day I continue to progress, I thank and give credit to God who has made it possible for me to be where I am. Currently, I am throwing 3x a week up to 120 ft and plan to be ready to compete at spring training (God willing). 
 
 
Read the whole thing here: link
 

MakMan44

stole corsi's dream
SoSH Member
Aug 22, 2009
19,310
E5 Yaz said:
Papelbon ... 7 game suspension
For what? He wasn't the one who made contact with the umpire, unless I missed a video. 
 
EDIT: Well, not for what, but I think it's a bit long.
 

strek1

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 13, 2006
23,149
Hartford area
MakMan44 said:
For what? He wasn't the one who made contact with the umpire, unless I missed a video. 
 
EDIT: Well, not for what, but I think it's a bit long.
 
Making obscene gestures to fans isn't real popular.
 

MakMan44

stole corsi's dream
SoSH Member
Aug 22, 2009
19,310
strek1 said:
 
Making obscene gestures to fans isn't real popular.
But why is he getting more games than pitchers who are purposely trying to hit players?
 

soxhop411

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 4, 2009
34,211
MakMan44 said:
But why is he getting more games than pitchers who are purposely trying to hit players?
“@Ken_Rosenthal: Told that Papelbon’s penalty did not simply result from crotch grab. MLB determined that he bumped West once and Marty Foster twice.”
 

mt8thsw9th

anti-SoSHal
SoSH Member
Jul 17, 2005
17,111
Brooklyn
Ellsbury is .125/.154/.259 in September thus far, and the Yankees have lost 5 one-run games in that stretch, while the rest of the Wild Card contenders have all scuffled. Coming into the season he had swiped a base every 2.97 games, and that figure is at 3.8 this season. 
 

Soxfan in Fla

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 30, 2001
7,123
How many games is Fat Joe West suspended for grabbing Paps by the shirt and throwing him aside? Ridiculous. Paps was wrong deserved his suspension. West was wrong too and really needed to be sat down for a few games.
 

strek1

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 13, 2006
23,149
Hartford area
Soxfan in Fla said:
How many games is Fat Joe West suspended for grabbing Paps by the shirt and throwing him aside? Ridiculous. Paps was wrong deserved his suspension. West was wrong too and really needed to be sat down for a few games.  should RETIRE!
 
My preference