2019 Pre-Game Thread: Week 2 @ Dolphins

DrewDawg

Dorito Dink
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
36,069
Tom Brady press conference about to start.

Not that we'll get anything interesting.
 

Cotillion

lurker
Jun 11, 2019
94
I thought they were finally changing that so that everybody would get 3 games.
Me too... something must have changed between May and now. Or maybe the rule doesn't kick in for another season?


As explained by Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, that means that all broadcast markets will get at least three games in the Sunday windows.
So if, for example, you’re a Miami Dolphins fan living in Dallas and both the Dolphins and Cowboys are playing at 1 p.m. ET on CBS and Fox, you’ll get to see both games.
In the past, the Dolphins game would have been blacked out in the Dallas market.
This is a boon for fans who don’t want to shell out for Sunday Ticket and DirecTV, and those who live in markets that have multiple teams, like greater Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, New York or the Bay Area.
 

Cotillion

lurker
Jun 11, 2019
94
Me too... something must have changed between May and now. Or maybe the rule doesn't kick in for another season?
And if you follow the link inside the article to Ben Fisher, you get to his tweet thread that has this caveat.

View: https://twitter.com/BenFischerSBJ/status/1131282680266534913


Urgent: NFL is now clarifying this, saying they'll let this happen "up to two times" this season in each market, to see how it goes. Team can do it more than twice if they want.
I guess the clarification got lost in the shuffle of news.
 

DrewDawg

Dorito Dink
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
36,069
I thought they were finally changing that so that everybody would get 3 games.
I'm getting 3 games.

I get Skins/Cowboys early and Buf/NYG then a late Fox game.

While we are in the Skins home market, we don't get blacked out of the CBS early game. I was simply lamenting the choice of game to air in our market.
 

pokey_reese

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 25, 2008
13,177
Eugene, OR
If you truly believe the Dolphins have a 16% chance to win outright, you should bet them heavy. The Pats -19 line converts to an almost certainty of a Pats win.(-16 points is a 98.5% win probability)

The consensus money line is Dolphins +1200, Pats -3000

good luck

but GO PATS
For what it's worth, the analytics person NFL Network/.com uses has a model/sim tool that gave the Pats an 86% chance to win (aka, Dolphins have a 14% chance).
 

Cotillion

lurker
Jun 11, 2019
94
That would be fucking brilliant to intentionally inflate all the balls to the absolute max in an A/C environment and then ask the refs to check them at halftime.

Too bad it’s Miami who gets to doctor the balls.
I forget what were the changes after DFG. Does the home team have complete control over the balls now? I thought it was still each team provides their bag of 24-48 balls that they've broken in to the QB's liking for examination still.

K-balls are still they get 3 hours to rough them up to the kickers liking.
 

rodderick

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 24, 2009
6,549
Belo Horizonte - Brazil
I forget what were the changes after DFG. Does the home team have complete control over the balls now? I thought it was still each team provides their bag of 24-48 balls that they've broken in to the QB's liking for examination still.

K-balls are still they get 3 hours to rough them up to the kickers liking.
I'm still waiting for the results of the pressure measurement tests the NFL conducted after Deflategate.
 

Reverend

for king and country
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
I forget what were the changes after DFG. Does the home team have complete control over the balls now? I thought it was still each team provides their bag of 24-48 balls that they've broken in to the QB's liking for examination still.

K-balls are still they get 3 hours to rough them up to the kickers liking.
I think you are correct. That’s why the interception was key.

So yeah, that would be a fun twist to Sunday.
 

dcmissle

Deflatigator
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Aug 4, 2005
27,886
I’d be a bit surprised if many teams have > 86% chance, especially on the road and against a divisional opponent.

Losing 3 times out of 20 does not seem all that unreasonable in these circumstances.

It would, of course, be a complete s-show.
 

j44thor

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2006
9,049
I think the Pats D will outscore MIA this week. If all NE did was kneel, punt and play D I'd still take them in a pickem.
Let's not forget PIT OL is very good and NE got little pressure on Ben last week despite lighting it up in the pre-season. That won't happen again this week.
I'd take over 6 sacks and under 7 pts allowed on Sunday. The one guy who might have been able to take a short pass a long distance was Albert Wilson and he is out.
 

j44thor

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2006
9,049
I think the Pats D will outscore MIA this week. If all NE did was kneel, punt and play D I'd still take them in a pickem.
Let's not forget PIT OL is very good and NE got little pressure on Ben last week despite lighting it up in the pre-season. That won't happen again this week.
I'd take over 6 sacks and under 7 pts allowed on Sunday. The one guy who might have been able to take a short pass a long distance was Albert Wilson and he is out.
This guy gets it
 

reggiecleveland

sublime
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Mar 5, 2004
20,562
Saskatoon Canada
I think the Pats D will outscore MIA this week. If all NE did was kneel, punt and play D I'd still take them in a pickem.
Let's not forget PIT OL is very good and NE got little pressure on Ben last week despite lighting it up in the pre-season. That won't happen again this week.
I'd take over 6 sacks and under 7 pts allowed on Sunday. The one guy who might have been able to take a short pass a long distance was Albert Wilson and he is out.
Sure this has been done, but good call