2014 Draft Game Day 2

SeoulSoxFan

Dope
Dope
Jun 27, 2006
19,402
2nd round draft order as of end of round 1:
  1. #33: Texans
  2. #34: Snyders
  3. #35: Browns
  4. #36: Raiders
  5. #37: Falcons
  6. #38: Buccaneers
  7. #39: Jaguars
  8. #40: Seahawks (via Vikings)
  9. #41: Bills
  10. #42: Titans
  11. #43: Giants
  12. #44: Rams
  13. #45: Lions
  14. #46: Steelers
  15. #47: Cowboys
  16. #48: Ravens
  17. #49: Jets
  18. #50: Dolphins
  19. #51: Bears
  20. #52: Cardinals
  21. #53: Packers
  22. #54: Eagles
  23. #55: Bengals
  24. #56: 49ers (via Chiefs)
  25. #57: Chargers
  26. #58: Saints
  27. #59: Colts
  28. #60: Panthers
  29. #61: 49ers
  30. #62: Patriots
  31. #63: Broncos
  32. #64: Seahawks
As with round 1, NO SPOILERS -- please wait until each announcement from the podium before posting the pick. 
 
P.S. Bit of a sad news for me -- my flight is early Saturday morning Seoul time so will miss all of day 2. (I am still befuddled that we don't have intercontinental net access for all seats). Will be checking back furiously once I land back in the States.
 

Mugsy's Jock

Longtime Member
Lifetime Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Dec 28, 2000
10,843
Bi-Coastal, for the time being
Very disappointed the Pats didn't trade down to get an extra pick I what I think will be an excellent 2nd and 3rd round today.

Now I'm terrified they will trade out of the second (where they could certainly get a stud TE or OL)!

First thoughts for #62:

OL: have to believe Bitonio, Xua-Filo, and Moses will be long gone. Mewhort and Trai Turner and Richardson and Gabe Jackson and Yankey could be there, and Martin or Richburg could make sense.

TE: ASJ might last to 62, but I wouldn't bet on it. Amaro won't. Probably too early for Niklas or CJF.

RB: they'll pretty much all be there, but I don't see RB as a big enough need to use 62.

DL: so much depth here (Jernigan, Hageman, Nix, Tuitt, Ealy, Crichton) a stud may be there and you could double down. A little high for DaQuan Jones?

P: Kirby Van Der Camp will be long gone. Probably to Bills.

Me, I wouldn't go DB or LB or WR unless there really was a surprise there...figure LBs Chris Boreland, Van Noy or Attoachu are gone, WRs Lee and Robinson and Lattimer are gone (one of them to NYJ?). Maybe Lamarcus Joyner?
 

mwonow

Member
SoSH Member
Sep 4, 2005
5,148
Mugsys Jock said:
Very disappointed the Pats didn't trade down to get an extra pick I what I think will be an excellent 2nd and 3rd round today.

Now I'm terrified they will trade out of the second (where they could certainly get a stud TE or OL)!
Could be worse. In the AFC East, the Jets got the only "thumbs up", but they picked a safety with both Manziel and Bridgewater available. How are they going to feel for however many more years they get Geno or Vick at QB, followed by ?, when they see these guys in other unis?
 

zimmy

lurker
May 9, 2014
1
I loved the Easley pick. Aside from being an impact player he gives us some flexibility on the D-line with his ability to play multiple positions. 
 
Using CBS rankings, and assuming we don't trade up, I would like to see one of 3 players at 62:
 
Weston Richburg
Troy Niklas
Bruce Ellington
 
I'm particularly in love with Ellington. He's young and could turn into a Cobb/Austin/Harvin type player. 
 

SeoulSoxFan

Dope
Dope
Jun 27, 2006
19,402
jsinger121 said:
I want OL today badly
 
I'd be willing to double-dip on DL. My "wishlist" today, provided they do not trade up nor down. Round 2:
  1. DE Scott Crichton: a true 5-tech in a 4-3 scheme, with great anticipation and good build. Lots of production at Oregen State
  2. TE Troy Niklas: with so many good values left on OL and DL, hoping Niklas falls after ASJ and Amaro are picked
  3. OL Xavier Su'a-Filo: won't likely to fall, like Kony Ealy, but would be fantastic to get at end of round 2
And in round 3:
  1. DT Will Sutton: bowling ball of a interior lineman who would be a great rotational talent -- nice value at round 3
  2. TE CJ Fiedorowicz: rumors have CJF not meeting BB's football intelligence standard, but I think he's a great backup to Gronk. Underrated pass catcher IMHO
  3. OL Brandon Thomas: most have him going at 4, but I think smarter teams will snatch him up a bit early. Hope that's the Pats
  4. TE Arthur Lynch: if CJF are taken, reaching a bit for the local boy Arthur Lynch wouldn't be bad at all. His hands are worrisome (this is where CJF wins over Lynch as well as blocking skills), but a it'll be hell of a fun to have him break a few tackles after the catch
 

Mugsy's Jock

Longtime Member
Lifetime Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Dec 28, 2000
10,843
Bi-Coastal, for the time being
SeoulSoxFan said:
 
 
I'd be willing to double-dip on DL. My "wishlist" today, provided they do not trade up nor down. Round 2:
  1. DE Scott Crichton: a true 5-tech in a 4-3 scheme, with great anticipation and good build. Lots of production at Oregen State
  2. TE Troy Niklas: with so many good values left on OL and DL, hoping Niklas falls after ASJ and Amaro are picked
  3. OL Xavier Su'a-Filo: won't likely to fall, like Kony Ealy, but would be fantastic to get at end of round 2
And in round 3:
  1. DT Will Sutton: bowling ball of a interior lineman who would be a great rotational talent -- nice value at round 3
  2. TE CJ Fiedorowicz: rumors have CJF not meeting BB's football intelligence standard, but I think he's a great backup to Gronk. Underrated pass catcher IMHO
  3. OL Brandon Thomas: most have him going at 4, but I think smarter teams will snatch him up a bit early. Hope that's the Pats
  4. TE Arthur Lynch: if CJF are taken, reaching a bit for the local boy Arthur Lynch wouldn't be bad at all. His hands are worrisome (this is where CJF wins over Lynch as well as blocking skills), but a it'll be hell of a fun to have him break a few tackles after the catch
 
I'm on board with these names, maybe adding DaQuan Jones.
 
Brings up an interesting question though -- if Pats are already taking one injury risk with Easley, does that make it less likely they'll consider another injury risk or redshirt candidate -- like Brandon Thomas or Aaron Colvin?
 

HomeRunBaker

bet squelcher
SoSH Member
Jan 15, 2004
18,219
The RB position obviously is not an emphasis in today's game but when teams are completely ignoring the position you get 1st round talent dropping to you. Carlos Hyde or Jeremy Hill wouldn't shock me.....seems like the type of value play Belichick relishes. This replaces Blount while providing Ridley fumblicious protection.
 

SeoulSoxFan

Dope
Dope
Jun 27, 2006
19,402
Mugsys Jock said:
I'm on board with these names, maybe adding DaQuan Jones.
 
Brings up an interesting question though -- if Pats are already taking one injury risk with Easley, does that make it less likely they'll consider another injury risk or redshirt candidate -- like Brandon Thomas or Aaron Colvin?
 
Not sure if Easley's injury concerns will take on anyone else like Thomas or Colvin more of a risk. It seems to me that's a luxury that teams like Niners, Seahawks, and Patriots can -- and should -- take at multiple opportunities.
 

SMU_Sox

loves his fluffykins
SoSH Member
Jul 20, 2009
6,270
Dallas
I don't see much upside in CJF or Niklas. I'd rather go DL again or OLine. Now, if ASJ is available and BB is OK with his football IQ, off field issues, and intangibles I'd be OK with him as well. Richburg in the 2nd or 3rd would be fine too (C). BPA for OL or DL is the best possible choice in 2 and/or 3 with the possible exception of ASJ.
 

SoxVindaloo

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Feb 20, 2003
912
Titletown of the Aughts
HomeRunBaker said:
The RB position obviously is not an emphasis in today's game but when teams are completely ignoring the position you get 1st round talent dropping to you. Carlos Hyde or Jeremy Hill wouldn't shock me.....seems like the type of value play Belichick relishes. This replaces Blount while providing Ridley fumblicious protection.
You think Sankey is sitting there at #62?
 

SeoulSoxFan

Dope
Dope
Jun 27, 2006
19,402
SMU_Sox said:
I don't see much upside in CJF or Niklas. I'd rather go DL again or OLine. Now, if ASJ is available and BB is OK with his football IQ, off field issues, and intangibles I'd be OK with him as well. Richburg in the 2nd or 3rd would be fine too (C). BPA for OL or DL is the best possible choice in 2 and/or 3 with the possible exception of ASJ.
 
You know I think highly of your takes SMU, but I think you're underrating CJF's overall value -- he's arguably the best blocking TE available, and can be a nice red zone/3rd down target. He has relatively soft hands and will grow as a route runner.
 
He's really not a move TE by any stretch, so I'm not going to fault him for not being an Ebron/Hernandez/Amaro.
 
I agree with DD'ing on DL however. I'd be curious who BB takes to pair up with Easley if that happens.
 

Super Nomario

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 5, 2000
12,310
Mansfield MA
SeoulSoxFan said:
 
You know I think highly of your takes SMU, but I think you're underrating CJF's overall value -- he's arguably the best blocking TE available, and can be a nice red zone/3rd down target. He has relatively soft hands and will grow as a route runner.
 
He's really not a move TE by any stretch, so I'm not going to fault him for not being an Ebron/Hernandez/Amaro.
 
I agree with DD'ing on DL however. I'd be curious who BB takes to pair up with Easley if that happens.
I think your analysis of CJF is more-or-less correct, but I question how much playing time a player like that will get when Gronk is healthy. The genius of the Gronk / Hernandez offense was that they could run against nickel D and pass against base. With CJF / Gronk, teams are just going to line up in base and put a LB on Fiedorowicz. Is he a good enough pass-catcher to take advantage of that? Is CJF on a LB a better mismatch in the passing game than a nickel CB on a slot receiver? I'm not convinced, which leads to the logical conclusion that they'll pass on all the Niklas / CJF / Lynch blocking types and probably address the position late, unless Amaro or ASJ slips to 62.
 
SeoulSoxFan said:
Don't like it one bit. By far the least priority on offense, especially in round 2.
Less a priority than QB or OT? And for 2015, the only RB under contract is Jonas Gray; it's absolutely a long-term need. Not sold on Sankey at 62 though; the Twitter draft nerds all pretty much hate him.
 

ElcaballitoMVP

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 19, 2008
3,224
Keep building those lines. I'm happy with the Easley pick and would be fine adding a DE to compliment him. I think interior OL is the spot I'd be targeting though. I'd really like one of Bitonio, Su'a-Filo, Martin, Richburg, maybe Yankey. 
 

RedOctober3829

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
41,323
deep inside Guido territory
I want a pass-catcher today whether it'd be WR or TE in the 2nd.  Amaro, ASJ, or Niklas as TEs or Latimer/Matthews/Landry at WR.  In the 3rd, Will Sutton is a binkie of mine.  His career track reminds me of his former teammate Vontaze Burfict.  Great early in his career, then either performance or off the field issues plummet his stock.  The talent is there with Sutton.
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
38,199
RedOctober3829 said:
NFL.com mocks Tre Mason to the Pats at 62.
 
That seems....wrong. RBs aren't "important", the Pats don't have a big need for one...
 

Super Nomario

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 5, 2000
12,310
Mansfield MA
DrewDawg said:
 
That seems....wrong. RBs aren't "important", the Pats don't have a big need for one...
Jonas Gray is the only RB under contract for 2015.
 
I'd be OK with Mason at 62 ... but I'd probably rather go OL and take a RB later.
 

Dgilpin

Member
SoSH Member
Sep 19, 2006
3,774
PA
I will be really excited if Van Noy or Ealy make it to the Lions at 45, would also be thrilled with Marquise Lee but I don't there's anyway he lasts that long.
 

Morgan's Magic Snowplow

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 2, 2006
16,721
Philadelphia
ElcaballitoMVP said:
Keep building those lines. I'm happy with the Easley pick and would be fine adding a DE to compliment him. I think interior OL is the spot I'd be targeting though. I'd really like one of Bitonio, Su'a-Filo, Martin, Richburg, maybe Yankey. 
 
This is where I'm at too.
 
My biggest fear for next year at this point involves injuries and/or further regression on the interior OL blowing up our offense.  Drafting an interior OL and shoring up that unit would be a huge plus.  I'm not a big fan of Yankey but the other guys would be fantastic, although they may not last.  I'd be fine with moving a 4th or 5th to jump up in the 2nd round if that's what it takes to secure a really good player.
 
OL here, then look at RB (I am a Sankey fanboy) or TE in the 3rd.
 
It'll probably be a safety nobody's heard of though.
 

Pxer

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 16, 2007
1,437
Maine
SeoulSoxFan said:
 
You know I think highly of your takes SMU, but I think you're underrating CJF's overall value -- he's arguably the best blocking TE available, and can be a nice red zone/3rd down target. He has relatively soft hands and will grow as a route runner.
 
He's really not a move TE by any stretch, so I'm not going to fault him for not being an Ebron/Hernandez/Amaro.
 
I agree with DD'ing on DL however. I'd be curious who BB takes to pair up with Easley if that happens.
Not that interested in having another Hoo-man on the roster. That's who he is to me. Rosterable, but there's other directions the Pats should go.
 

EL Jeffe

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 30, 2006
645
I'm still holding out hope for De'Anthony Thomas to be a Patriot. Yeah, he's a luxury pick when they have some legit depth needs, but Thomas is just so electrifying and explosive. 41 TDs in just 356 plays from scrimmage is pretty insane. I get that he's 5'9", 176lbs and doesn't have a real position... BUT...with the ball in his hands, he's a genuine threat to take it to the house from anywhere. Plus he instantly fixes the KR game. I'd take him in the 3rd and trust that Belichick and McDaniels can figure out a way to take advantage of his skills.
 

( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

T&A
SoSH Member
Feb 9, 2010
5,272
Providence, RI
Honestly the more I think about it the "right" approach in a deep draft like this seems to me to be someting like:
 
  1. Rounds 1, 2, (and maybe 3) take the best talent on the board when your pick comes up
  2. Figure out how it all fits together later
  3. Target areas where you know you need depth in rounds 4 to 6 (specifically TE, LB, RB and S)
I almost don't care what position they pick in round 2.  I just want them to get the best talent they can.
 

RedOctober3829

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
41,323
deep inside Guido territory
( . ) ( . ) and (_!_) said:
Honestly the more I think about it the "right" approach in a deep draft like this seems to me to be someting like:
 
  1. Rounds 1, 2, (and maybe 3) take the best talent on the board when your pick comes up
  2. Figure out how it all fits together later
  3. Target areas where you know you need depth in rounds 4 to 6 (specifically TE, LB, RB and S)
I almost don't care what position they pick in round 2.  I just want them to get the best talent they can.
This is my feelings too.  BPA in Rd 2 is a good plan because they have so many areas they could address.
 

Morgan's Magic Snowplow

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 2, 2006
16,721
Philadelphia
EL Jeffe said:
I'm still holding out hope for De'Anthony Thomas to be a Patriot. Yeah, he's a luxury pick when they have some legit depth needs, but Thomas is just so electrifying and explosive. 41 TDs in just 356 plays from scrimmage is pretty insane. I get that he's 5'9", 176lbs and doesn't have a real position... BUT...with the ball in his hands, he's a genuine threat to take it to the house from anywhere. Plus he instantly fixes the KR game. I'd take him in the 3rd and trust that Belichick and McDaniels can figure out a way to take advantage of his skills.
 
I'd love Thomas but not before the late 4th or 5th.  I think he's a pure luxury item for the Pats - he doesn't fit the mold of what Belichick has generally wanted in his third down backs (ie, good blocker, good route runner, tough customer types like Faulk and Woodhead) - and I can't see spending a 3rd on that kind of specialist in a deeper draft when you have potential long term starters still available.
 

E5 Yaz

Transcends message boarding
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
62,314
Oregon
Don Banks, SI.com, says Tom Savage to the Pats in his Rd 2 Mock
 

dynomite

Member
SoSH Member
Mugsys Jock said:
Very disappointed the Pats didn't trade down to get an extra pick I what I think will be an excellent 2nd and 3rd round today.
This boils down to how much you trust the Pats as evaluators.

The Pats were apparently highly committed to getting Easley and reports are that they could not wait. Both NESN (Kyed) and the Seattle PI reporting that the Seahawks were all over Easley (their DC coached him at Florida), furious they lost him, and as soon as he went to the Pats they traded out of the 1st Round altogether.
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
38,199
E5 Yaz said:
Don Banks, SI.com, says Tom Savage to the Pats in his Rd 2 Mock
 
Using a second round pick on a QB would tell me (although I could be wrong) that Mallett might be moving on.
 

E5 Yaz

Transcends message boarding
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
62,314
Oregon
Mel Kiper's mock (ESPN Insider):  RB Carlos Hyde (Ohio State) -- "The Patriots get a dynamic talent to take more pressure off Tom Brady, and they do have a need here." 

Don Banks' mock (SI.com): QB Tom Savage (Pittsburgh) -- "Taking another non-first round quarterback named Tom wouldn't be the worst decision the Patriots could make." 

Bucky Brooks' mock (NFL.com): RB Tre Mason (Auburn) -- "The Heisman Trophy finalist would be a nice fit." 

Rob Rang's mock (CBSSports.com): QB Jimmy Garoppolo (Eastern Illinois) -- "Tom Brady isn't getting any younger and Garoppolo's quick decisions and release make him an ideal protégé." 

Evan Silva's mock (Rotoworld): QB Tom Savage (Pittsburgh)/RB Tre Mason (Auburn) -- Draft covers second/third rounds. 

Nate Davis' mock (USA Today): TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins (Washington) -- "According to Tony Gonzalez, Seferian-Jenkins is the best all-around tight end prospect in the draft this year." 

WalterFootball.com: C Weston Richburg (Colorado State) -- "Upgrade at center is still needed."
 
 
Roundup from Reiss
 
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4762661/gathering-up-some-second-round-mocks?ex_cid=espnapi_public
 

soxhop411

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 4, 2009
34,232

 
http://deadspin.com/leaked-internal-scouting-report-the-patriots-do-not-li-1574040417?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
http://www.brobible.com/sports/article/johnny-manziel-scouting-report-new-england-patriots/
 
 
Last night, Johnny Manziel dropped all the way to the 22nd pick in the 2014 NFL draft, to the surprise of many. As Johnny Football’s stock plummeted before our eyes, an anonymous tipster contacted BroBible saying that he obtained Johnny Manziel’s scouting report from a New England Patriots employee. He then sent us the PDF file of said scouting report.
The Patriots intel doesn’t exactly paint Manziel in a favorable light, knocking his off-the-field work ethic, personal life choices, and although it stops short of calling him a locker room cancer, it says there is resentment from his teammates “in the offseason when he isn’t coming to workouts and they are busting their butt.” The report goes on to question the family he comes from, noting that it’s a family with “outlaw bloodlines,” whatever the hell that means.
The Patriots’ report does, however, praise his size saying that Manziel boasts, “High, knotted calves, with pretty gd. thickness through the thighs and bubble” and that that he has “big hands and feet.”
It’s unclear if similar conclusions were reached by the other 31 NFL teams, but it certainly highlights concerns about the Heisman Trophy winner.
The full report is below.
 

wibi

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
10,279
dynomite said:
This boils down to how much you trust the Pats as evaluators.

The Pats were apparently highly committed to getting Easley and reports are that they could not wait. Both NESN (Kyed) and the Seattle PI reporting that the Seahawks were all over Easley (their DC coached him at Florida), furious they lost him, and as soon as he went to the Pats they traded out of the 1st Round altogether.
 
I havent seen much outside of those two reports that say they were furious that they lost him.    Seattle was looking to move out of the first round before the draft even started given their lack of true pressing needs. 
 

dcmissle

Deflatigator
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Aug 4, 2005
28,259
Doubt authenticity as Pats insiders are not generally leakers, especially when leaking does the team no good.

This would do the team no good. "Outlaw bloodlines". Let the ridicule begin.
 

DanoooME

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 16, 2008
15,987
Richmond, VA
wibi said:
 
I havent seen much outside of those two reports that say they were furious that they lost him.    Seattle was looking to move out of the first round before the draft even started given their lack of true pressing needs. 
 
And the fact that they only had 6 picks in this draft backs that up.  I have read reports that Seattle was getting ready to deal the pick before the Pats picked, so there's no guarantee that they had to have Easley.  I don't think they would have taken the chance on losing him if that was true.