2013 Boston College Football...From A Spaz to a A Dazz

berniecarbo1

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 1, 2008
1,518
Los Angeles, CA
4 6 3 DP said:
 
I think, in reading this Q/A,  that Dazz is very realistic in what he is expecting and the goals are acheivable for this year. He admits it will take some time and it will take a few years for his program to be installed. Having said that his goals for 2013 are to win the opener (Villanaova) and be bowl eligible (6 wins). Based on the scheule they have I would say they should win the opener and they should get at least 6 wins. I would suggest that they should go at least 3-1 in OOC games ( NOVA, Army and NMSU) and then pick up 3 conference wins (Maryland, Wake and Syracuse??). That's 6 wins and a berth in the Armed Forces Bowl against Houston or SMU. That is probably where this year is heading. I won't mention USC again but....you heard it here first!
 

4 6 3 DP

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 24, 2001
1,973

FelixMantilla

reincarnated mr hate
SoSH Member
Jan 30, 2001
11,445
Foxboro, MA
After all that's gone on I'm still optimistic about the hire. However, it does puzzles me that Addazio doesn't seem to have interest in exploiting the talents of the players he does have onboard. A senior QB who has started since his freshman year should have plenty of opportunity to throw the ball.
 

BigMike

Dope
Dope
Sep 26, 2000
22,096
At this point we will see what it is when they take the field in the fall.  
 
Interesting to hear about Andre Williams running with power and passion, but honestly I'll believe it when I see him actually hit a hole rather than shuffle his feet 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage before he gets going.
 
Daz talks a lot, and he does seem to want to go in a different direction.   It does seem to be working with recruits, but the test is not April, it is next February.  I do read some things from recruits that make it sound a bit used car salesman, tailoring the message for each recruit, and well stretching the truth at times.  But it is hard to say what he said, versus what the recruit heard, versus what the recruit told the reporter.  And face it the used care salesmen type is often very effective at this level
 
I suspect Fall will come and BC will throw the ball more often than it runs it, largely because there just isn't much on campus at RB. I think they will try to force the run early,  and that is likely to fail, which will force them to use the talent they have. I think Daz knows if he wants to get momentum going he needs to be in a bowl this year, because 2014 will be a lot harder
 

Dave Stapleton

Just A Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 11, 2001
7,775
Boston, MA
It sounds like he is trying to instill a mindset of being able to run the ball.  Last year they only ran the ball 345 times all year.  That's way too few attempts.  They will throw the ball this year.  They have to.
 

BigMike

Dope
Dope
Sep 26, 2000
22,096
Dave Stapleton said:
It sounds like he is trying to instill a mindset of being able to run the ball.  Last year they only ran the ball 345 times all year.  That's way too few attempts.  They will throw the ball this year.  They have to.
 
Right, you just hope that he is able to install a system, coach kids up so that when BC has 3rd and 2, 4th and 1, they actually might have a chance at gaining a yard on a running play.     Seemed like 15+ times last year they failed on this and at critical moments,  now some games it wouldn't have mattered (sorry they weren't beating FSU whether they scored on the first drive or not).  But it clearly cost them 1-4 games.  Obviously the Army game, but the Miami and Northwestern games were very winnable if they could have converted a short yardage play or two, and I believe there was one other one
 

berniecarbo1

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 1, 2008
1,518
Los Angeles, CA
Not to be contrarian, well I guess I am, but maybe Dazz is looking at Rettig and sees a kid who....well....ain't that good. I think Chase has some raw talent but he never really had a consistent coaching staff to work with. He had a different OC every year and now he has another one in Day. As a result, rather than progressing through a system and learning his craft he was always adjusting to fit the new scheme. As such his talent leveled off. He's probably the best they have on campus but maybe Dazz doesn't see a leader in him. maybe he sees a kid who plays the position and until he shows Dazz he can take the team and drive them down the field and score in a pressure situation he (Dazz) doesn't want to rely on Chase. It could all change in the Fall but I think Dazz is looking at Chase and saying..."this kid ain't much." I blame all of that squarley on Spazz and his joke of a regime.
 

berniecarbo1

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 1, 2008
1,518
Los Angeles, CA
Did any BC players get drafted? And if not when was the last time not one senior was picked up by an NFL team in any round of the draft? Kinda says it all doesn't it?
 

BigMike

Dope
Dope
Sep 26, 2000
22,096
berniecarbo1 said:
Did any BC players get drafted? And if not when was the last time not one senior was picked up by an NFL team in any round of the draft? Kinda says it all doesn't it?
 
2005.    And that was a 9-3 team, and a program on the upswing approaching an epic high.     So having no one drafted is kind of a meaningless standard.
 

SoxScout

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jun 19, 2003
30,147
Steve Addazio, head football coach, heads to Bristol, Conn., and ESPN Studios tomorrow - Tuesday, April 30 - for a full day of appearances across many ESPN platforms. Addazio will begin the day with Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg on the Mike & Mike radio show, is also scheduled to appear on ESPN's First Take, SportsCenter and College Football Live, and will join ESPN.com for a live chat. Be sure to keep up with Addazio by following his day on Twitter at: @BCFootballNews
http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042913aae.html
 

Dave Stapleton

Just A Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 11, 2001
7,775
Boston, MA
Huge get for Addazzio. Connor Strachan 4 star LB from Mass has committed. It's amazing what a little personality and passion can do on the recruiting front.

This is shaping up to be a very good class, especially so when you consider this team only won 2 games last year.

I've been a doubter but man Addazio has me drinking the cool aid.
 

Dave Stapleton

Just A Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 11, 2001
7,775
Boston, MA
So since the Strachan commit, BC has picked up a commitment from Cameron Seward, a three star athlete from Atlanta.  He projects as a LB in Brown's system.  Seward had offers from Cal, Cincy, Kentucky, Miss. St., NC St. and West Virginia.
 
But some of the biggest news surrounds previous DE commit Harold Landry from NC who committed early to BC when he was unrated (now high 3-Star).  It will be a battle to hold onto this kid but he still claims he is solid with BC.  Check out this offer list:
 
Auburn
Florida St.
Ohio St.
Clemson
Duke
East Carolina
Georgia Tech
Miami (FL)
Mississippi
North Carolina
N.C. State
South Carolina

BC now has 10 Commits (8 3-Stars, 1 4-Star and 1 2-Star with solid buzz).  Its recruiting class is currently ranked 19th nationally and 4th in the ACC (behind FSU, Miami and Clemson).
 
These ranking are very fluid at this point and who knows where they end up when all is said and done but the fact that they have this kind of buzz following a 2 win season is just remarkable.  Gotta give Addazio a ton of credit for the work that he and the staff have put in on the recruiting front.  There are still a number of battles to be won and they need to hold onto the current commits but the early results are promising to say the least.
 
 

doldmoose34

impregnated Melissa Theuriau
SoSH Member
Picked up a 6'7" 296  3* OL from Dexter school yesterday, (i know Dexter, but you cant teach size)
its a loooong way to Feb, but this class looks unreal, and I bet the pitch is what we've thought all along, 'Son, you want to play right away, come on down!'
 

Dave Stapleton

Just A Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 11, 2001
7,775
Boston, MA
berniecarbo1 said:
Who said Dazz was the guy??  Who was that again??
It's early man but he really is a breath of fresh aire. Good call so far. Even me the king of maroon and gold colored glasses was skeptical.

I put my money where my mouth is and dropped off a check for the Flynn Fund today. Any of you are welcome to stop by my tailgate on Shea all year.
 

berniecarbo1

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 1, 2008
1,518
Los Angeles, CA
Something to chew on besides BBQ this weekend. We all know that Spaz was a disaster and had a 4 year record of 21-29 overall, 13-19 in the conference, never beat SBCC, never beat a ranked team and when trailing at the half was 2-21.   I had  a chance to look at the next few years schedule and this is is how it is shaping up:
 
Teams facing 4 times:
Syracuse
Wake
Lou/Maryland
Clemson
Va Tech
FSU
NC State
Army
FCS (Villanova,Rhode Island, Richmond)- I just lump them together. They are interchangeable IMHO. And they should all be wins.
 
Teams facing 2 times
USC
NMSU
Duke
UNC
 
One -Offs (as of now)
SBCC (2015)
UMass (2014)
Buffalo(2015)
 
A couple of open dates but you get the gist of how the schedule is shaking out. Dazz signed a 6 year deal. I figure we have him for better or worse for 4 years since if he kicks butt, he will move to a Top 10 program after 4 years or if he is Spazz Redux, 4 years will be enough...Given the Strength of schedule, his recruitng  and the overall direction of the program ( I know there hasn't even been a snap yet) what do think the likelihood is of him having an overall winning record after the 2016 season, what the record might be, and does he leave after 2016 to a bigger, better deal, get the boot, or stick around through his contarct, which ends in  2018.,. I say he wins 65% of his games, with an overall record of 31-17 and he leaves after 4 years to take over a perennial Top 10 program somewhere. Dazz is a college guy, so I don't see the NFL in his future.
 
Long and short, the over/under is 31 wins, 4 year stay. How far off am I considering the above list of opponents?   I know, lots of tme on my hands this Friday! :)
 

Dave Stapleton

Just A Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 11, 2001
7,775
Boston, MA
Darius Wade participated in the Elite 11 QB camp in Ohio this weekend and continues to impress.  Here's a blurb from 247 Sports:
 
Darius Wade, Middeltown (Del.)- Wade has been competing at events like these since he was a sophomore and to be quite honest, has impressed every time. The 6-foot-2, 193-pounder has gotten bigger, too, and at this point when you take into account what you see in a camp setting and combine it with what he’s proved on the field in pads during his high school career, you have no choice but to say that Boston College fans should be excited about him being a part of the 2014 class for the Eagles. Wade had a solid outing Saturday, just as he always does. He is the No. 27 dual-threat quarterback prospect in the 2014 class according to 247Sports and could be rising in those rankings soon.
 
http://247sports.com/Article/Columbus-Elite-11-features-a-deep-talented-group-133170
 

Dave Stapleton

Just A Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 11, 2001
7,775
Boston, MA
Ok. Two more three star recruits.

1. Mike Knoll - the number three rated kicker in the country from Ohio. He's listed as a hybrid punter/kicker, had an offer from Purdue and OSU was sniffing around.

2. Joe Vitello - TE/DL from NJ who projects as an edge defensive lineman. Doesn't have the offer list of some others but the staff seems really high on him.

Running out of spots guys .... Jump on board or there may not be a spot for ya.
 

4 6 3 DP

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 24, 2001
1,973
Crazy the way Dazz recruits. If he can coach 'em...Look out.
 
To date Bates gets an A+ for this hire.
 

BoSoxFink

Stripes
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2006
7,153
South Park
Not that ESPN is any great shakes with this, but they are in the top 25 in their rankings too at the moment.  They are #25 to be exact, but I am not sure if that is updated with the most recent additions or not.
 
Needless to say though, we have not seen someone be able to recruit at BC like this in a very long time, if ever.  I can only imagine if Dazz is able to get this team to start winning and having some good seasons how that would affect the recruiting in a good way as well. 
 

WayBackVazquez

white knight against high school nookie
SoSH Member
Aug 23, 2006
8,294
Los Angeles
BoSoxFink said:
Not that ESPN is any great shakes with this, but they are in the top 25 in their rankings too at the moment.  They are #25 to be exact, but I am not sure if that is updated with the most recent additions or not.
 
Needless to say though, we have not seen someone be able to recruit at BC like this in a very long time, if ever.  I can only imagine if Dazz is able to get this team to start winning and having some good seasons how that would affect the recruiting in a good way as well. 
 
Seems pretty comparable to your 2011 and 2012 classes to me. In 2011, Rivals had you as the #38 class, with 9 three-star and 4 four-star recruits. In 2012, Scout gave you 2 four-star recruits, 8 three-star, and 6 two-star.
 
This year, Scout really doesn't like your class. Rivals thinks better of the talent, but the reason BC is ranked as high as it is is because it has earlier commits (the rankings are just based on accumulation). Based on average rating of recruit, even Rivals would have BC in the 35-40 range, which seems like a reasonable spot.
 

kenneycb

Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play
SoSH Member
Dec 2, 2006
13,436
Tuukka's refugee camp
We're beating out better schools than Bryant and UMass this year though. A lot of the commits we have now have actual BCS offers.

Agreed on the ranking point though. Those things are always disingenuous and skewed to teams with large classes.
 

WayBackVazquez

white knight against high school nookie
SoSH Member
Aug 23, 2006
8,294
Los Angeles
kenneycb said:
We're beating out better schools than Bryant and UMass this year though. A lot of the commits we have now have actual BCS offers.
 
I dunno man. I think this is selective memory/revisionist history because you guys hate Spaziani. Look at this class. It was loaded with out-of-state guys who had not just BCS, but major BCS offers.
 
 
Wujciak, Daniels, Borcich, Duggan, Evans, Suntrup, Mihalik, Lifka, Gaughan, Nelson in addition to the in-state guys. None of them were lacking other BCS offers.
 

Dave Stapleton

Just A Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 11, 2001
7,775
Boston, MA
WayBackVazquez said:
 
I dunno man. I think this is selective memory/revisionist history because you guys hate Spaziani. Look at this class. It was loaded with out-of-state guys who had not just BCS, but major BCS offers.
 
 
Wujciak, Daniels, Borcich, Duggan, Evans, Suntrup, Mihalik, Lifka, Gaughan, Nelson in addition to the in-state guys. None of them were lacking other BCS offers.
But here's the thing. From 2009-2012 BCs classes was ranked 70, 47, 38, 63. That class you mention was still way back at 38. There were way too many 2 star reaches at positions of need. When BC was successful it was ranking in 20s under TOB. That's where this class is going to finish. Particularly of note is the early success BC has had with its targets.

There is a very different vibe with this group and if you follow the BC recruiting sites you can see that this staff is really working. They have more of a targeted approach and there is more unified effort with recruiting. Bates, the Deans and several others are on the same page a nd contributing on the recruiting effort.
 

WayBackVazquez

white knight against high school nookie
SoSH Member
Aug 23, 2006
8,294
Los Angeles
Dave Stapleton said:
But here's the thing. From 2009-2012 BCs classes was ranked 70, 47, 38, 63. That class you mention was still way back at 38. There were way too many 2 star reaches at positions of need. When BC was successful it was ranking in 20s under TOB. That's where this class is going to finish. Particularly of note is the early success BC has had with its targets.

There is a very different vibe with this group and if you follow the BC recruiting sites you can see that this staff is really working. They have more of a targeted approach and there is more unified effort with recruiting. Bates, the Deans and several others are on the same page a nd contributing on the recruiting effort.
 
Hundred bucks to the Jimmy Fund says on signing day, BC is not in the 20s in either Scout or Rivals.
 

kenneycb

Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play
SoSH Member
Dec 2, 2006
13,436
Tuukka's refugee camp
WayBackVazquez said:
I dunno man. I think this is selective memory/revisionist history because you guys hate Spaziani. Look at this class. It was loaded with out-of-state guys who had not just BCS, but major BCS offers.
 
 
Wujciak, Daniels, Borcich, Duggan, Evans, Suntrup, Mihalik, Lifka, Gaughan, Nelson in addition to the in-state guys. None of them were lacking other BCS offers.
They also whiffed on a lot of guys and got run over in MA and other recruiting strongholds like NJ and OH.  I don't think they got a single one of the top 5 prospects in MA last year, which is absolutely disgraceful even for a state that doesn't produce a ton of talent.  Note that Daniels doesn't count as he was an OH guy doing a PG year in Worcester trying to get his grades right.
 

WayBackVazquez

white knight against high school nookie
SoSH Member
Aug 23, 2006
8,294
Los Angeles
kenneycb said:
They also whiffed on a lot of guys and got run over in MA and other recruiting strongholds like NJ and OH.  I don't think they got a single one of the top 5 prospects in MA last year, which is absolutely disgraceful even for a state that doesn't produce a ton of talent.  Note that Daniels doesn't count as he was an OH guy doing a PG year in Worcester trying to get his grades right.
 
They got Tevin Montgomery. In any event, that's not really an appropriate metric. Last year there were two consensus 4-star prospects in Montelus and Hurst. Sorry, but no matter who your coach is, you're not getting those guys when they've wanted to go to Notre Dame and Michigan from the beginning (and have offers from a couple dozen other major BCS programs). It's different in a year like this one where the best player in the state is looking at UMass and UConn and whose best offer other than BC is from UVA.
 

kenneycb

Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play
SoSH Member
Dec 2, 2006
13,436
Tuukka's refugee camp
I was looking at 2012 because I'm dumb, in which Tim Joy (7) was the highest MA guy he got.  Which is not good.  The running joke was that he was building a wall around the ISL, which isn't exactly laden with BCS-caliber players.  Even without the coaching change the class was an abject disaster where we had little to no shot at a lot of guys that should've been in our wheelhouse.
 

Dave Stapleton

Just A Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 11, 2001
7,775
Boston, MA
I know I am the one who has mentioned rankings a few times so this may sound silly but it's not about the rankings.  This staff has brought BC recruiting to the modern age.  It starts at the top and Addazzio clearly enjoys recruiting.  The assistants are spending a ton of time on the road (with the coordinators Day and Brown leading the way).  The entire staff (along with the AD) are heavily involved in recruiting, have cast a wide net and are utilizing social media to its fullest (e.g., #beadude).  There is just a different buzz around the program than there has been in recent years (or even in the TOB years when they recruited solidly but quietly).
 
And to follow up on kenney's post above.  It seemed like over the last couple years Spaz just gave up.  The early offers seemed like ones that typically would come from "camp". 
 

mikcou

Member
SoSH Member
May 13, 2007
331
Boston
WayBackVazquez said:
They got Tevin Montgomery. In any event, that's not really an appropriate metric. Last year there were two consensus 4-star prospects in Montelus and Hurst. Sorry, but no matter who your coach is, you're not getting those guys when they've wanted to go to Notre Dame and Michigan from the beginning (and have offers from a couple dozen other major BCS programs). It's different in a year like this one where the best player in the state is looking at UMass and UConn and whose best offer other than BC is from UVA.
 
Montgomery committed after Spaz got canned. Almost as if he decided to come because he got canned.
 
Also, looking at Scout is just bad - their coverage has fallen off the map. Football is Rivals/ESPN/247 these days with ESPN really starting to push Rivals for the top spot. The ranking of the class wont stay at a borderline top 10 level, but the decline should be cushioned by the upgrades from a guy like Landry (if they in fact hold onto him) who has offers from just about everyone. 
 

WayBackVazquez

white knight against high school nookie
SoSH Member
Aug 23, 2006
8,294
Los Angeles
mikcou said:
 
Also, looking at Scout is just bad - their coverage has fallen off the map. Football is Rivals/ESPN/247 these days with ESPN really starting to push Rivals for the top spot.  
Um, no.
 

BigMike

Dope
Dope
Sep 26, 2000
22,096
WayBackVazquez said:
They got Tevin Montgomery. In any event, that's not really an appropriate metric. Last year there were two consensus 4-star prospects in Montelus and Hurst. Sorry, but no matter who your coach is, you're not getting those guys when they've wanted to go to Notre Dame and Michigan from the beginning (and have offers from a couple dozen other major BCS programs). It's different in a year like this one where the best player in the state is looking at UMass and UConn and whose best offer other than BC is from UVA.
 
BC had NO Shot at Montelus that is for sure, he barely even paid lip service to the school.    There are plenty who believe Hurst might have gone to BC under different circumstances
 
kenneycb said:
I was looking at 2012 because I'm dumb, in which Tim Joy (7) was the highest MA guy he got.  Which is not good.  The running joke was that he was building a wall around the ISL, which isn't exactly laden with BCS-caliber players.  Even without the coaching change the class was an abject disaster where we had little to no shot at a lot of guys that should've been in our wheelhouse.
 
Well to be fair,  I don;t care what the recruit rankings were.  Tim Joy was a whole lot better than the 7th best player in Mass that year. The frauds from CM got all the hype but Joy was better than all but maybe Williams. 
 

WayBackVazquez

white knight against high school nookie
SoSH Member
Aug 23, 2006
8,294
Los Angeles
FelixMantilla said:
Another commit today, Ty Schwab, linebacker from Florida.
 
Actually, the big news is Gabe McClary, who stops BC's streak of five straight commits with no other BCS offers.
 

WayBackVazquez

white knight against high school nookie
SoSH Member
Aug 23, 2006
8,294
Los Angeles
Lots of teams make camp offers. When you make those offers to unheralded players, and players who've been to several other camps without getting offers, the likelihood that they'll accept is high. And giving a two-star/no star player one of your scholarships is what it is. If you want to keep your belly full of Kool-aid and assume every time you give a camp offer to a kid, the genius coaching staff must have seen something everyone else missed, okay.
 

kenneycb

Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play
SoSH Member
Dec 2, 2006
13,436
Tuukka's refugee camp
Just pointing out that solely examining offers and implying conclusions based on that is stupid.  You're reading too much into my posts, which always turns out fun when you extrapolate on things I never said, as you are doing above.
 

WayBackVazquez

white knight against high school nookie
SoSH Member
Aug 23, 2006
8,294
Los Angeles
kenneycb said:
Just pointing out that solely examining offers and implying conclusions based on that is stupid.  You're reading too much into my posts, which always turns out fun when you extrapolate on things I never said, as you are doing above.
 
Yeah, sorry about that. I guess I was confused about what you meant when you wrote:
 
We're beating out better schools than Bryant and UMass this year though. A lot of the commits we have now have actual BCS offers.
 

Dave Stapleton

Just A Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 11, 2001
7,775
Boston, MA
WayBackVazquez said:
Lots of teams make camp offers. When you make those offers to unheralded players, and players who've been to several other camps without getting offers, the likelihood that they'll accept is high. And giving a two-star/no star player one of your scholarships is what it is. If you want to keep your belly full of Kool-aid and assume every time you give a camp offer to a kid, the genius coaching staff must have seen something everyone else missed, okay.
 
You may be correct but this is very early in camp season.  For example, Sam Schmal in an Atlanta lineman that was scheduled to camp at other places in the south and midwest this summer AFTER BC.  So similar to its strategy with some of its early commits it looks like they are trying to offer early before a kid potentially gets more interest or in the best case blows up (e.g. Landry).
 
Folks are excited by this staff's recruiting because they seem to have a plan.  Even the camp offers seem to be an attempt to open up new area or schools.  For example, two kids from Westminster in Atlanta and two more kids from Florida.
 
All this coming off of a 2 win season. 
 

kenneycb

Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play
SoSH Member
Dec 2, 2006
13,436
Tuukka's refugee camp
berniecarbo1 said:
Has Dazz talked about the Aaron Hernandez case?? He actually recruited him to Florida. Interesting to get his take on this.
Didn't say anything of substance, just some pretty tame coachspeak that avoided a real answer.
 

BigMike

Dope
Dope
Sep 26, 2000
22,096
berniecarbo1 said:
Has Dazz talked about the Aaron Hernandez case?? He actually recruited him to Florida. Interesting to get his take on this.
 
Personally  think he said way to much on the subject a couple days ago.    Should have completely deflected the issue and not commented on it.
 
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/06/25/steve-addazio-expresses-surprise-sadness-over-aaron-hernandez-legal-issues/udspiPQhaJhlp1QYvv2nBI/story.html
 
“He was a really smart kid, really good-hearted guy, fun,’’ Addazio
said. “He came down to Gainesville and had a really great work ethic
. . . he would practice really hard and was a student of the game. It
was all good.’’
 
Addazio said he was unaware of any off-field issues during Hernandez’s time at Florida.
 
 
Seems kind of silly for him to go there, especially where we know Hernandez had a bunch of problems down there.    Of course more and more it just seems like that program was completely out of control during the Urban era
 

Dave Stapleton

Just A Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 11, 2001
7,775
Boston, MA