- Apr 24, 2019
I got Strange and Marcus Jones…except for the part when I changed Strange to Tom.
That's pretty impressive considering the Patriots only made those 4 picks that year.In 2017, we only had 11 players, but the Pats draft must have been easier to call. Four people got 3rd rounder Derek Rivers, 3 got 3rd rounder Antonio Garcia, four got 4th rounder Deatrich Wise, three got 6th rounder Conor McDermott, . Two got UDFA Josh Williams, two got UDFA Max Rich, one each got UDFAs Harvey Langhi, Damarius Travis, and D.J. Killings.
Thank you for this summary. As more folks like SMU exist, there are less likely players that are 'unheard of', and the ability for knowledgeable folks to guess which players are even under reasonable consideration for the Pats is higher. Combine that with competition for the same players, other unknown variables and this drafting thing is hard - guessing team results is even more difficult.So - was this an unusual year? Here's some info
- In the early years of this contest, we had fewer players, and only 15 picks allowed.
- In 2010, we had 10 people playing. One got Devin McCourty, Brandon Spikes, and Rob Gronkowski (@SoxScout in all cases), .Three got Zolan Mesko. Maybe to our credit, nobody got Jermaine Cunningham, Taylor Price or Aaron Hernandez, or Ted Larsen, or Brandon Deaderick, Thomas Welch or Zac.Robinson.
- In 2011, out of a group of 17 with 15 picks each (so, about half the current volume of guesses), three people got Ras-I Dowling, one (@Mystic Merlin) got Ryan Mallett, one (@pappymojo) got Marcus Cannon, three got Nate Solder correct, one (me) got Shane Vereen. Most common pick was Cam Jordan (15), followed by Danny Watkins and Mo Wilkerson (11) and JJ Watt (9).
- By 2013, we had expanded to 24 players, and 20 picks per player - so almost exactly what we had this year.
- In 2013, 6 people got Logn Ryn right, three each got Aaron Dobson, Jamie Collins, and Josh Boyce. one got Michael Buchanan, and @Super Nomario correctly called two UDFAs, TJ Moe and Matt Stankiewich; one player also got UDFA Zach Sudfeld.
- In 2014, with 23 players (again, totalling about the same number of picks we collectively had this year), 7 people ID'd third round choice Dominique Easley, two (@Mugsy's Jock and @Jeff Van GULLY) correctly picked Jon Halapio, three (including @SMU_Sox) got UDFA Jeremy Deering, and one got UDFA Steven Houston.
- .In 2016, five people picked 3rd rounder Cyrus Jones "correctly," one got fourth-rounder Malcolm Mitchell, one got UDFA Bryce Williams.
- In 2017, we only had 11 players, but the Pats draft must have been easier to call. Four people got 3rd rounder Derek Rivers, 3 got 3rd rounder Antonio Garcia, four got 4th rounder Deatrich Wise, three got 6th rounder Conor McDermott, . Two got UDFA Josh Williams, two got UDFA Max Rich, one each got UDFAs Harvey Langhi, Damarius Travis, and D.J. Killings.
- In 2018, we had 15 players with 20 picks each, about 60% of this year's total picks. It was also a tough year to predict, with two people getting Sony Michel right, and one picking Isaiah Wynn