Kirk and Callahan: Done

MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 26, 2006
10,541
SidelineCameras said:
Small point of clarification but it does affect your argument enough to bring it up:

In order for something to be illegal in the workplace, a worker needs to belong to a protected class. Race, religion, and gender are all federally protected classes. Even if it creates a hostile work environment, you can't legally argue it's hostile if you're not protected. If my asshole co-worker is a Giants fan and makes my life miserable all day every day talking about Superbowl 42 and 46, I still can't claim that's a hostile work environment because "Patriots fan" is not a protected class.  
 
As of today, sexual orientation is not a federally protected class. It is protected in many states, including Massachusetts, but it's not protected at the federal level, so a homosexual NFL player wouldn't have this protection with every team for which he might play.
 
That's a good point. I was thinking mostly in terms of just straight-up sexual harassment, but that raises the question of whether you have to be a woman to be sexually harassed, and that's something about which I have no idea.
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
15,582
Maine
Oh boo hoo, Toucher and Gresh were bagging on Brady for taking his "paycut".  Dennis is upset that Toucher dared rip Brady having emailed Dennis to explain why he won't be coming on the air to address the contract.  Toucher didn't reference Dennis by name, but clearly he was offering an off-the-wall opinion for attention, and Dennis played right into it.  THIS is the worst thing about sports radio, or frankly any radio...manufactured outrage and drama over shit that really doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things, and has nothing to do with sports.
 

wutang112878

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 5, 2007
6,066
Desperate times call for desperate measures, Dennis probably sees the writing on the wall and is doing anything possible to try to stay relevant.
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
16,448
I loved Fred and rich singing the chad Finn article. How the hell have D&C talked about that red hot sports take for 2 hours?
 

HomeBrew1901

Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray
SoSH Member
Very classy of D&C listeners to text Rich that they hope his wife dies. 
 
Edit: The best part of them ranting about T&R for two hours is that some of their listeners are now going to tune into T&R to see what the controversy is all about. 
 
I too am curious what Minihane is doing this morning, I'm not going to listen but I am curious.
 

John Marzano Olympic Hero

has fancy plans, and pants to match
Dope
Apr 12, 2001
21,074
wutang112878 said:
Desperate times call for desperate measures, Dennis probably sees the writing on the wall and is doing anything possible to try to stay relevant.
 
Is this the last day of the Winter Books? Because if it is, it's a nice bump to go after the number-one rated show, get some click-overs and then tell your advertisers, "See! We are trending upward for the spring. And we have the Sox and John can mess all over himself when he talks to Brad Faxon! And Gerry can mess all over himself when he make more homophobic remarks about Teo during the draft! It will be great ratings!"
 

CantKeepmedown

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
2,290
Portland, ME
Gerry now saying that there is not one NFL or college D1 coach that wants to be the first to have a openly gay player on their team. Too much distraction. Minihane again calling him out on it.

Gerry also can't seem to understand why people might be uncomfortable that teams are asking players if they like girls.
 

mabrowndog

Ask me about total zone...or paint
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 23, 2003
39,676
Falmouth, MA
Imagine Callahan as a radio host 50 years ago.
 
"...but you can't have METCO gorillas black people drinking out of the same faucets, eating in the same restaurants, or using the same bathrooms as whites. Society simply won't allow it. That's just the way it is."
 

HomeBrew1901

Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray
SoSH Member
Smiling Joe Hesketh said:
I think Gerry in general is uncomfortable with the fact that gay people exist, and resents the fact that they just won't go away and pretend not to exist.
I don't hate Callahan like many here do, but his open disgust at gay people really is horrifying and it's amazing that he is still on the air since he doesn't do anything to really couch or hide it.  He is openly and proudly homophobic, the fact that EEI lets him get away with saying gay marriage is one step away from legalizing beastiality is... I don't know what it is but it isn't right. 
 

Smiling Joe Hesketh

All Hail King Boron
Dope
May 20, 2003
32,351
Deep inside Muppet Labs
HomeBrew1901 said:
I don't hate Callahan like many here do, but his open disgust at gay people really is horrifying and it's amazing that he is still on the air since he doesn't do anything to really couch or hide it.  He is openly and proudly homophobic, the fact that EEI lets him get away with saying gay marriage is one step away from legalizing beastiality is... I don't know what it is but it isn't right. 
 
It's bigotry. Might as well call it what it is.
 

wutang112878

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 5, 2007
6,066
HomeBrew1901 said:
I don't hate Callahan like many here do, but his open disgust at gay people really is horrifying and it's amazing that he is still on the air since he doesn't do anything to really couch or hide it.  He is openly and proudly homophobic, the fact that EEI lets him get away with saying gay marriage is one step away from legalizing beastiality is... I don't know what it is but it isn't right. 
 
Its one of 3 things, just classless bigotry, they are actually catering to the audience that they have left because they know they agree with Gerry which is calculating and classless, or they are doing the shock jock thing which again is calculating and classless.  I hope its just idiotic bigotry, because if they are really thinking and planning to do this they are just awful human beings.
 

HomeBrew1901

Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray
SoSH Member
I don't think they are doing the shock jock thing because Callahan has been like this for over a decade when there was no competition.  I think it's outright bigotry and catering to their audience.  At this point you know what you are going to get with this show and why they won't get me back as a listener.
 
Sorry Minihane you backed the wrong horse by taking your shot with this show, hopefully you won't be lumped in with D&C and this is a chance for the morning show listeners to get used to you so they can dump both D&C and give you a new partner.
 

SidelineCameras

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 13, 2011
1,730
Back one morning before TSH, D&C were arguing about gay marriage. I remember being amazed that Dennis was talking the pro-gay marriage side (or at least, not the anti-gay marriage side). Anyway, Gerry's main point was that gay people wanted to get married to shove it in his face. Dennis said something like, "You really believe the only reason gay people want to get married is to show you up?" and Gerry yelled, "YES! OF COURSE!"
 
That was the beginning of the end for me with those two.
 

MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 26, 2006
10,541
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but just think about how stupid Callahan's argument is: The UNITED STATES FREAKIN' MILITARY has no problem with openly gay soldiers. They allowed service members to march in gay pride parades, even.
 
But the NFL! That's just too macho a place for gays. It just won't fly! Seriously? More than the Marines? Ok, Gerry. The Joint Chiefs are okay with it, but not Jim Harbaugh. No way, no how.
 

Sparky Lyle

Ask me about my nightstick
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 21, 2002
3,496
Boston, Massachusetts
Smiling Joe Hesketh said:
It's bigotry. Might as well call it what it is.
 
 
 
It most certainly is.  Even though I believe that the majority, vast majority, of the D&C listeners agree with Callahan's  world-view I don't understand why the station allows him to persist speaking so publicly as he does.  I suspect it's strategy consigned to failure.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.  The station managers must not think as we do.
 
And I've just stated the obvious, haven't I? 
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
15,582
Maine
Sparky Lyle said:
I don't understand why the station allows him to persist speaking so publicly as he does.  I suspect it's strategy consigned to failure.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.  The station managers must not think as we do.
 
And I've just stated the obvious, haven't I? 
 
Perhaps they're just waiting for him to say something egregious enough to warrant firing him, Imus-style?  "They" being either Entercom or NESN.
 

Andy Merchant

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 2, 2010
685
Red(s)HawksFan said:
Perhaps they're just waiting for him to say something egregious enough to warrant firing him, Imus-style?  "They" being either Entercom or NESN.
 
I dunno, there are even posters here that say Dennis is the problem with the show and not Callahan.  I've had my fill of both of them to be perfectly honest.
 
Interesting that on twitter they teased they were going after someone in the Boston media at 6 AM and I don't even see it mentioned on their two podcast entries from today in iTunes (unless they were attacking Fred while on the air with Mike Lupica or Doc Rivers).
 

Patriot_Reign

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 21, 2011
567
Andy Merchant said:
Interesting that on twitter they teased they were going after someone in the Boston media at 6 AM and I don't even see it mentioned on their two podcast entries from today in iTunes (unless they were attacking Fred while on the air with Mike Lupica or Doc Rivers).
 
I was amazed when almost two years ago D&C had regained the #1 spot by a fraction of a decimal place, and opened the show with a 15 minute rage about Chad Finn (aka FLYNN), and how they were the champs - and they uploaded the episode as one of their daily podcasts.
I can probably upload it if anyone who like to rehear it.
 
I also believe that was the last time they held the #1 spot.
 

Mo's OBP

lurker
Jul 15, 2005
108
Weymouth
The fact that Callahan clings to his anti-gay views--given the evidence such politics allowed a couple of (funny) radio guys to destroy them--pretty much proves he is a true, unrepentant bigot.
 

jose melendez

Earl of Acie
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 23, 2003
26,389
Washington DC
I don't live in Boston, so I haven't even had the opportunity to listen for four years, but as long as Callahan is talking politics, I ain't listening.  IF he only talk sports, it's fine  (in contrast to Dennis who si awful on anything), but unless I know he ain't talking politics, sociology, anthropology whatever... I ain't listening.
 

HomeBrew1901

Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray
SoSH Member
If this is a tryout for Dale while Dennis is on vacation sign me up.  Callahan, Arnold and Minihane would definitely be a solid #2 option for me when T&R go off the rails or start playing drunken recaps.
 
I haven't listened a lot but what I have heard is far and away better than anything Dennis brings to the table.
 

Gambler7

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 11, 2003
3,639
HomeBrew1901 said:
If this is a tryout for Dale while Dennis is on vacation sign me up.  Callahan, Arnold and Minihane would definitely be a solid #2 option for me when T&R go off the rails or start playing drunken recaps.
 
I haven't listened a lot but what I have heard is far and away better than anything Dennis brings to the table.
Agreed. I've listened quite a bit.
 

BellhornsBiatch

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
476
Plymouth MA
Show's been great this morning with Dale, Gerry and Kirk. Let's make it permanent. They can even keep the D&C moniker (which i suspect they've already thought of if that's the NESN hold up) if Dale replaces Dennis. 
 

Phenom

as if andy gresh and gary tanguay had a baby
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2006
998
I'll add to the chorus and say I agree with that.  
 
BellhornsBiatch said:
Show's been great this morning with Dale, Gerry and Kirk. Let's make it permanent. They can even keep the D&C moniker (which i suspect they've already thought of if that's the NESN hold up) if Dale replaces Dennis. 
 
I'll add to the chorus and say I agree with that.
 
I don't love T&R's sports talk, so I listened to a lot of Dale, Callahan and Kirk last week during free agency.  Pretty good show.  
 
I don't know if they could win the time slot, but they could certainly be more competitive in the mornings than Dennis and Callahan have been over the past two years.  
 
Dale, though we make fun of his "Ned Flanderness," has been a terrific asset for WEEI.  He's made it work with every partner he's had.  
 

Koufax

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
5,036
jose melendez said:
I don't live in Boston, so I haven't even had the opportunity to listen for four years, but as long as Callahan is talking politics, I ain't listening.  IF he only talk sports, it's fine  (in contrast to Dennis who si awful on anything), but unless I know he ain't talking politics, sociology, anthropology whatever... I ain't listening.
He hasn't talked politics for a year or two.  He is clearly under instructions to lay off.  Many listeners (including me) feel as you do.
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
15,582
Maine
Phenom said:
Dale, though we make fun of his "Ned Flanderness," has been a terrific asset for WEEI.  He's made it work with every partner he's had.  
 
He's a pro's pro behind the mic, always has been, even if he's tended to be on the vanilla side for the most part.  I think I've said this before, but I think something snapped with him when he was relieved of his mid-day duties and reduced to fill-in work.  He's still the pro's pro broadcaster, but he's had a bit more fire in him since the demotion, and I think it suits him.  He seems to be a bit more animated, for lack of a better word, with his opinions.  He calls Callahan out on his crap way more than Dennis does, and with Minihane in studio too, Callahan really can't run amok with his more foolish trains of thought.  Makes for a much tighter and generally informed show with good conversation.
 

Vinho Tinto

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 9, 2003
6,546
Auburn, MA
Red(s)HawksFan said:
He's a pro's pro behind the mic, always has been, even if he's tended to be on the vanilla side for the most part.  I think I've said this before, but I think something snapped with him when he was relieved of his mid-day duties and reduced to fill-in work.  He's still the pro's pro broadcaster, but he's had a bit more fire in him since the demotion, and I think it suits him.  He seems to be a bit more animated, for lack of a better word, with his opinions.  He calls Callahan out on his crap way more than Dennis does, and with Minihane in studio too, Callahan really can't run amok with his more foolish trains of thought.  Makes for a much tighter and generally informed show with good conversation.
 
 
I was not a fan of Dale's when he was on mid days regardless of his partners (I started listening when he was on the A-Team), but I agree with everything above. I have to believe he was too comfortable with his place at EEI or career in general. It had to be traumatic to have had two big jobs pulled from him, but he's currently doing his best work in years.  If he had been this good during the prior 10 years, he would have been a serious candidate to replace Ordway. 
 

HomeBrew1901

Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray
SoSH Member
As soon as I heard John Dennis' voice I switched it over to 98.5 and heard a great segment between Rich and Dan Roche, where Dan said he asked John Henry to use his suite in the offseason so he could wake up at Fenway.
 
Even Wallach was horrified.
 

mabrowndog

Ask me about total zone...or paint
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 23, 2003
39,676
Falmouth, MA
As if we needed another reason to detest the loathsome miserable piece of shit known as John Dennis.
 
WEEI program director Jason Wolfe assures us that John Dennis was joking when he suggested during Thursday’s “Dennis and Callahan’’ program that Kirk Minihane was relegated to the Kevin Winter Memorial Sports Flash booth because NESN had cut back on a camera during its simulcast.
 
The party line is that NESN and WEEI just want to see how having Minihane set apart from the other two works for a couple of days. Reasonable enough under most circumstances, right?
 
Sure. But anyone who appreciates the benefits of healthy skepticism has to wonder why Minihane, whose presence as a third voice has invigorated the program (especially when Dennis is absent), appears to be on the verge of marginalization roughly a month after his addition in a vaguely defined role.
 
One doesn’t have to be an accomplished conspiracy theorist to watch the simulcast and notice that Dennis often appears to treat Minihane as a threat and yet also with a “what’s your name again?” casual condescension. (He openly revels in calling him “Minnifield,” just as he infamously called Ryen Russillo “Rotillo.”)
 
The appearance of appeasement during this truly strange week on the program (I could spill another thousand words on the random Jerry Remy call-in) makes one wonder what comes next. 
 
Chad's column also has this tidbit:
 
Steve Ciaccio, a longtime executive producer for WEEI’s “Dennis and Callahan’’ program, announced on his Facebook page that he will leave the station April 2, writing “that the time was right for me to exit.” Ciaccio, who began at the station in 1997, said he has taken a position with Gerrity Stone in Woburn.
 

soxfan121

JAG
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2002
23,043
Chad Finn said:
I just assume it's where they eventually intend to dump my body.
 
No. It took Ciaccio long enough but he's finally realized the boat is sinking and it's time to abandon ship. 
 

shawnrbu

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
33,393
The Land of Fist Pumps
So Remy was prodded to call in by Dennis (or someone on behalf of Dennis) in order to make Minihane squirm and look like a tool for questioning Cancer Survivor Jerry Remy's work ethic?
 
The demise of this show is highly entertaining.  If someone on the inside could write a tell-all book about Dennis, it would be a fascinating read. 
 

Rusty13

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 3, 2007
4,864
The show was at its worst today.  D&C teaming up against Minihane on Jackie Bradley, Jr. talk.  Dennis brow beating callers in typical, angry fashion.  You can just tell by the sound of his voice that he knows his goose is cooked, and this is the start of him "kicking and screaming" on his way out.
 

HomeBrew1901

Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray
SoSH Member
Rusty13 said:
The show as at its worst today.  D&C teaming up against Minihane on Jackie Bradley, Jr. talk.  Dennis brow beating callers in typical, angry fashion.  You can just tell by the sound of his voice that he knows his goose is cooked, and this is the start of him "kicking and screaming" on his way out.
I listened to about 2 minutes and I couldn't take it anymore, Minihane simply making the point that it makes more sense from a team control perspective to keep him in the minors to start the season and then call him up after the allotted time, and D&C were making it sound like Kirk wanted Jr to stay in the minors all season long. 
 
The end to Dennis' radio career can't come soon enough.