Eagles game really feels massive, doesn't it? Traditionally, Bill has figured things out in the "on to" games. So, hopefully, they'll get the win. A loss puts a lot of less desirable possibilities on the table.
If the Ravens use this win as a springboard to finish 14-2, there's not much the Patriots can do about it, and the road to the Super Bowl will likely go through Baltimore. But other than that scenario, getting this next win sure would stabilize things.
Here are the last handful of teams to beat the Patriots, and what they did after that....
- Buffalo beat NE 16-0 in week 4. From that point on, they went 5-7 and missed the playoffs.
- Seattle beat NE 31-24 in week 10, which put them at 6-2-1. From that point on, they went 4-3, made the playoffs, and lost in the divisional round.
- KC beat NE 42-27 in week 1. From that point on, they won 4 in a row, then lost 6 of their next 7, and then finished with 4 straight wins to close out the year at 10-6. They then lost in the WC round of the playoffs, 10-7 to Tennessee.
- Car beat NE 33-30 in week 4 to get to 3-1. From there they went 8-4, made the playoffs, and lost in the WC round to the Saints.
- Mia beat NE 27-20 in week 12 to get to 6-7. From there they went 0-3 and missed the playoffs.
- Phi beat NE 41-33 in the Super Bowl. The next year they went 9-7, made the playoffs, and then lost in the Divisional Round to the Saints.
- Jax beat NE 31-20 in week 2 to get to 2-0. From then they went 3-11 and missed the playoffs.
- Det beat NE 26-10 in week 3 to get to 1-2. From then they went 5-8 and missed the playoffs.
- Ten beat NE 34-10 in week 10 to get to 5-4. From then they went 4-3 and missed the playoffs.
- Mia beat NE 34-33 in week 14 to get to 7-6. From then they went 0-3 and missed the playoffs.
- Pit beat NE 17-10 in week 15 to get to 8-5-1. From then they went 1-1 and missed the playoffs.
In most of these cases, the teams that have beaten the Patriots then went on to struggle. In none of the cases did the team that just beat New England proceed to go on a major roll. KC in 2017 did for a few weeks but then crashed back to earth.
Past results are not necessarily indicative of future performance, obviously, but the Ravens, while a good team, probably won't rip off 8 straight wins against a schedule that includes Hou, at LAR, SF, at Buf, at Cle, and vs Pit. I think they'd be pretty fortunate to go 6-2 and get to 12-4.