- Oct 27, 2010
I've been thinking about starting a thread like this for a while and this quote from Dummy Hoy in the Bruins gamethread reminded me.I'm not a big Barstool guy- I think Portnoy is a donkey and it's a bit too fratty for me, but Spittin Chicklets and Zero Blog Thirty are automatics for me every week.
I think Portnoy is kind of brilliant but mostly agree with DH in that I can't stand him at all. He capitalized on fratbro humor and made himself a lot of money and a well recognized brand. He's not my cup of tea but he's also made some great hires and diversified a lot especially lately and it now covers a lot of ground. Some podcast recommendations that I think people here would enjoy if they, like me, thought the entire site was too sophomoric or just plain stupid.
- Pardon My Take- If you hate how hot-takey, Skip vs Stephen A the entire sports world has become check this out. I've said before that PFT Commenter's satire is close to equal that of prime Colbert. He's brilliant and can drop obscure WWII references just as fast as he can drop a tremendous 69 joke. Also, I think Big Cat is a future star in whatever he chooses to do. He can be in character and hang with PFT or he can get serious and have well-reasoned, informed opinions. He's also a great interviewer and has helped to change my opinion on Joe Buck, Mike Golic, and even Peter King kind of, among others. They also work harder than most people out there. Seriously, give this a few episodes to get the hang of and you probably won't be disappointed
- Spittin Chiclets- Rear Admiral is an interesting guy who also happens to be a great Bruins beat reporter. Ryan Whitney had an interesting career and is a great story teller. If you're a Bruins or Hockey fan in general (and can get past the accents) give this a shot too. The Taylor Hall episode recently was interesting. He was more at ease than you'd expect because he was Whitney's roommate. He didn't say anything too crazy to get him in trouble but he told more interesting stories than you usually hear about pros just living their lives.
- Zero Blog Thirty- Uncle Chaps is a liberal-ish former Marine and Conner is a conservative-ish former Army officer. They discuss current events but their leanings, refreshingly, barely come into play and they have very civilized and informed discussions. Also not being a military person at all it's a fresh perspective for me. The best part is them discussing hilarious stories about training and being deployed that you can't really get anywhere else.
- Mickstape- An NBA pod with Coley (a Boston guy) and Tyler (a Georgia/Magic fan/all around NBA guy). They have great chemistry and don't take any of it too seriously. They just did an entire 30 minute episode breaking down the viral video of the youth coach blocking a little kid's shot and it was the hardest I've laughed in weeks.
- Section 10- A Red Sox podcast from Jared Carrabis and Pete Blackburn. It's not my favorite but it's a pretty decent listen when I run low on podcasts in a given week.
- Fore Play- A golf podcast that's more my speed than something like ShackHouse from the Ringer. They come at it more from the casual fan who can't play well and watch most tournaments from the couch. They aren't bitter, grumpy sports writers which is how Shackleford comes off to me much of the time. Again not my favorite but I will give it a listen when my feed runs low.