Quick poll--who's winning this thing?

Who's going to win it all?


  • Total voters
    166

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
50,918
So, I kinda thought the total votes in the second questions would equal the number of NE votes in first...silly me.
 

Jer

lurker
Jul 17, 2005
278
Boston, MA
I can't vote unless I answer the 2nd question. Maybe add an option for "I didn't pick NE".
 
I would pick Denver to win it all.
 

ShaneTrot

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Nov 17, 2002
5,845
Overland Park, KS
I picked NE because they hang around in every game and give themselves a chance to win. Plus they have looked good against other contenders like Cincinnatti, NO, Carolina, and Denver. They have a puncher's chance. No one has kicked their ass. Do you see Marvin Lewis winning a playoff game in the Razor?
 
My head tells me Seattle but it's Pete Carroll and I just feel he will do something stupid to lose a tight game. For my second pick I chose SF, I just think they are the toughest team. Their defense is lethal.
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
50,918
I can't vote unless I answer the 2nd question. Maybe add an option for "I didn't pick NE".
 

 
I would pick Denver to win it all.

 
 
 

 
 
Fixed
 

Jer

lurker
Jul 17, 2005
278
Boston, MA
DrewDawg said:
 
Thanks.
 
To expand on the Denver pick... I'm simply voting on what I see as the most likely outcome. I really dislike Denver and obviously I'd love for the Patriots to run the table. I just think winning the AFC Championship in Denver will be a tall order for this Patriots team with so many injuries on defense.
 
Seattle looks like the obvious #2. If I didn't have such an AFC bias, I might've picked them.
 

Jungleland

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 2, 2009
2,138
Seattle
San Francisco
Denver
Carolina
New England
New Orleans 
KC
Cincinnati
GB
Philly
Indy
SD
 
Those would be my power rankings. That said, I think Denver makes it out of the AFC rather easily, while the NFC playoffs look to be a dogfight. Thus, I picked Denver, as I think that offense will destroy anyone that isn't Seattle, and that just might be enough to offset their pretty horrendous defense. Hopefully the Seahawks make it through what will surely be two tough games to get there. If not, I hope I'm wrong. 
 
I'd have Seattle over NE in the Super Bowl if Gronk were healthy. The Pats are fun as hell right now and certainly have a chance to go the distance, but there are way too many key injuries to put them top 3.
 

Kenny F'ing Powers

posts way less than 18% useful shit
SoSH Member
Nov 17, 2010
13,520
So, according to this poll so far, the Patriots are roughly 50% to win the superbowl?
 
I like those odds!
 

Mugsy's Jock

Eli apologist
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 28, 2000
14,650
UWS, NYC
I picked SF because I think they have the best combination of coach, overall talent, defense, and consistency.  I'm not sold on Kaepernick... but he did a more-than-respectable job in the postseason last year so what the hey.
 
That said, SF has no bye, no home games, and a good chance of a path through Seattle to get to the Meadowlands.  So yeah, that was probably a dumb choice.
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
50,918
Mugsys Jock said:
 I'm not sold on Kaepernick... but he did a more-than-respectable job in the postseason last year so what the hey.
 
Kaepernick played really well down the stretch with a 101.4 QB rating in December, going 5-0 with a 7/1 TD/INT ratio.
 
Solid pick. The NFC though is so tough.
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
50,918
Removing the NE votes, Seattle seems to be the overwhelming favorite.
 

Average Reds

Dope
Dope
SoSH Member
Sep 24, 2007
34,776
Southwestern CT
I'd love to pick my Eagles but their lack of a real defense precludes this delusion.
 
I think San Francisco is on a roll and I picked them.  Watch them now lose this coming weekend...
 

RG33

Certain Class of Poster
SoSH Member
Nov 28, 2005
6,818
CA
I think has arguably been BB's best coaching job, but I just don't see how they can stackup in DEN and against SEA/SF. Everything is gravy for me at this point, and I would absolutely LOVE to see them go to Denver with ALL the pressure on Peyton, but I really don't have high expectactions. I think KC is even a tough matchup for them even with all of their speed. Fingers are crossed for a cold and windy divisional round playoff game for Peyton . . . .
 

MoGator71

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
5,117
I also picked San Fran. I think they'll have a tough road obviously having to go to GB with Rodgers back and likely a visit to Seattle...but I don't like Seattle's chances in the Meadowlands so I wasn't picking them. Wouldn't be shocked by Carolina either...NFC is pretty tough, there's a few legit contenders there.
 

Seels

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 20, 2005
4,572
NH
San Fran. Think the only team they will struggle with is Seattle at Seattle. I don't think Seattle can beat any of the top 3 AFC teams on the road.
 
Think, though the league has more parity this year than years past, the top 5-6 sit high above the rest (and said 5-6 because the Saints aren't the Saints on the road, which they will be).
 

Morgan's Magic Snowplow

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 2, 2006
21,642
Philadelphia
Mugsys Jock said:
I picked SF because I think they have the best combination of coach, overall talent, defense, and consistency.  I'm not sold on Kaepernick... but he did a more-than-respectable job in the postseason last year so what the hey.
 
That said, SF has no bye, no home games, and a good chance of a path through Seattle to get to the Meadowlands.  So yeah, that was probably a dumb choice.
My thoughts exactly.

Seattle remains a good choice but their offense has been really struggling for about a month now and that makes me wary. They haven't put up over 320 yards of offense since the blowout of New Orleans.

Denver probably has the best chance of playing in the Super Bowl but I think they'll be a significant dog to the NFC winner, especially outdoors in the elements, and I just can't pick Denver on general principle.
 

Bongorific

Thinks he’s clever
SoSH Member
Jul 16, 2005
8,066
Balboa Towers
I could see whichever of SF/GB wins this weekend make a run at the whole thing. It took GB a miracle just to get past CHI but it's hard to bet against Rodgers. As good as he NFC looks, I think Brees and Rodgers are still a level above the younger guys, both in talent and experience.
 

tims4wins

PN23's replacement
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
33,626
Hingham, MA
Bongorific said:
I could see whichever of SF/GB wins this weekend make a run at the whole thing. It took GB a miracle just to get past CHI but it's hard to bet against Rodgers. As good as he NFC looks, I think Brees and Rodgers are still a level above the younger guys, both in talent and experience.
 
/Not in wins or seed though/ - Russell Wilson one liner on Facebook pro football mock
 

TeddysBonefish

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 26, 2006
951
Morgan's Magic Snowplow said:
Denver probably has the best chance of playing in the Super Bowl but I think they'll be a significant dog to the NFC winner, especially outdoors in the elements, and I just can't pick Denver on general principle.
 
I keep hearing this... but Denver plays outdoors, in the elements, at elevation. They were 7-1 at home. The one loss was against San Diego on a beautiful day with temps in the 50s. Peyton also won a Super Bowl outdoors in the elements. I'm not saying I trust Peyton or an all-offense team in the playoffs, just that the outdoors thing doesn't seem to have much to do with it.
 

Super Nomario

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 5, 2000
13,886
Mansfield MA
TeddysBonefish said:
I keep hearing this... but Denver plays outdoors, in the elements, at elevation. They were 7-1 at home. The one loss was against San Diego on a beautiful day with temps in the 50s. Peyton also won a Super Bowl outdoors in the elements. I'm not saying I trust Peyton or an all-offense team in the playoffs, just that the outdoors thing doesn't seem to have much to do with it.
Denver plays outside, but the weather is relatively mild, without a lot of precipitation. Here was the weather in Denver's home games this year:
BLT: 83 degrees, relative humidity 30%, wind 7 mph, wind chill 0
OAK: 64 degrees, relative humidity 28%, wind 16 mph, wind chill 0
PHI: 76 degrees, relative humidity 16%, wind 8 mph, wind chill 0
JAX: 59 degrees, relative humidity 53%, wind 7 mph, wind chill 0
WAS: 69 degrees, relative humidity 14%, wind 8 mph, wind chill 0
KC: 43 degrees, relative humidity 34%, wind 6 mph
TEN: 18 degrees, relative humidity 63%, wind 5 mph, wind chill 11
SD: 37 degrees, relative humidity 50%, wind 2 mph, wind chill 0
 
The Tennessee game is the only one approximating the likely conditions for the Super Bowl in New York. And the 2007 SB was in Miami (66 degrees, relative humidity 86%, wind 7 mph) - not exactly the frozen tundra.
 
I don't think the cold weather is as much of a concern for Manning as some do, but he certainly doesn't face the same weather concerns the teams in the East or North divisions do.
 

DeJesus Built My Hotrod

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 24, 2002
42,425
I am rooting like hell for the New England Patriots but after that I like the Panthers.  Their defense is pretty damn great (especially against the run) and their offense is just good enough to grind things out.   By every metric, the Seachickens are the team to beat in the NFC but I have an irrational hate of Pete Carroll so fuck him and his team.  
 
However Carolina seems to be peaking at the right time and twelve wins against, arguably, the toughest schedule in the NFL (it was using records from last season) says they aren't to be taken lightly.
 

Kliq

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 31, 2013
21,039
This feels like a classic Manning meltdown in the playoffs. I have a really hard time believing that Denver can go all the way. I would be totally unsurprised if they get bounced in the divisional round. Out of the 24 teams during the SB era to average at least 30ppg, only 4 of them have gone on to win the SB.
 
The big selling point on Denver is their offense, but during Manning's career, he has often had the benefiet of a top offense, but that has never really translated to post-season success.
 By the years:
 
1998: 19th in scoring, missed playoffs.
1999: 3rd in scoring, lost divisional game at home against Tennessee
2000: 4th in scoring, lost wild card game @ Miami
2001: 2nd in scoring, missed playoffs
2002: 17th in scoring, lost wild card @ NYJ
2003: 2nd in scoring, lost in Conference Championship @ New England
2004:1st in scoring, lost Divisional game @ New England
2005: 2nd in scoring, lost Divisional game  at home against Pittsburgh
2006: 2nd in scoring, won Super Bowl
2007: 2nd in scoring, lost Divisional game at home against San Diego
2008: 13 in scoring, lost in wild card @ San Diego
2009:7th in scoring, lost Super Bowl
2010: 4th in scoring, lost Wild Card at home against NYJ
2011: N/A
2012: 2nd in socring, lost Divisonal game at home against Baltimore
 
That is almost 15 years of evience of Manning having mostly a top 5 offense, and having a lot of bad exits in the post season. I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T lose in the playoffs early, to be honest.
 

Grimace-HS

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Jun 8, 2012
843
DeJesus Built My Hotrod said:
I am rooting like hell for the New England Patriots but after that I like the Panthers.  Their defense is pretty damn great (especially against the run) and their offense is just good enough to grind things out.   By every metric, the Seachickens are the team to beat in the NFC but I have an irrational hate of Pete Carroll so fuck him and his team.  
 
However Carolina seems to be peaking at the right time and twelve wins against, arguably, the toughest schedule in the NFL (it was using records from last season) says they aren't to be taken lightly.
I voted before reading the comments, but mine mirror these.  I picked New England as they are just in every game and are in the weaker AFC; so barring Denver, they have as good a shot as anyone.  The tough NFC draw makes it difficult for any of these teams.  Whereas Seattle may be the most complete team, I just see Carolina as having a defense that can give them troubles and Cam Newton is the wild card....a great all around game by him can give Seattle's D fits...a very close game, but I could see Carolina getting through.  So if New England doesn't win, then I'd pick Carolina.
 
And taking it a step further, I'd love a New England / Carolina Super Bowl, with the Pats winning on a last minute touchdown catch by Hooman while being mugged/tackled/etc in the end zone by Kuechly, with no call but the catch anyways.