Pedroia's wrist - "Great news"

Laser Show

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 7, 2008
4,870
https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/455774654733357056
 
https://twitter.com/ESPNJoeyMac/status/455785379770425344
 

glennhoffmania

but still failing
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,397,545
NY
Was just about to post this:

 
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia does not have a serious injury to his left wrist, according to a baseball source.
 
Further tests are being done in Boston today, but Pedroia should be fine, based on the preliminary results.
 
 

mabrowndog

Ask me about total zone...or paint
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 23, 2003
39,676
Falmouth, MA
Dan to Theo to Ben said:
what's the story/backstory with "mbd is a dingus? "
 
Yeah, it's the revenge of Nip. So now when anyone posts a Twitter URL that doesn't autolink, it's followed with that text and a working link to the Twitter status. Trust me, it's an honor I'll eternally treasure. And as long as it works, I don't give a rat's ass.
 
Thing is, I thought he set it up in a way that only I could see that text, since I tried viewing it after signing out and it didn't show up. It also didn't show up in any quoted posts. It's hilarious that it's visible globally.
 

E5 Yaz

Transcends message boarding
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
61,636
Oregon
mabrowndog said:
 
Thing is, I thought he set it up in a way that only I could see that text, since I tried viewing it after signing out and it didn't show up. It also didn't show up in any quoted posts. It's hilarious that it's visible globally.
 
Ironically, it's trending on the twitters
 

threecy

Cosbologist
SoSH Member
Sep 1, 2006
1,532
Tamworth, NH
What are the chances that Pedroia snuck in imagery from someone else's MRI so that he'd be cleared to keep playing? :)
 

Sampo Gida

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 7, 2010
5,038
This happened before with Pedey in June of 2011.  During a series in the Bronx  he was sent back for tests on his knee. There was talk of needing surgery and it was given as the reason for his poor performance over the last month or so.  Tests were fine, and he came back and went on a tear,  I remember being amazed at the quick recovery,
 

nvalvo

Well-Known Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 16, 2005
16,699
Rogers Park
Sampo Gida said:
This happened before with Pedey in June of 2011.  During a series in the Bronx  he was sent back for tests on his knee. There was talk of needing surgery and it was given as the reason for his poor performance over the last month or so.  Tests were fine, and he came back and went on a tear,  I remember being amazed at the quick recovery,
 
I remember that too, and I think he said at the time that once the doctors reassured him that he would be unlikely to injure himself further by playing on it, he could put it out of his mind and play with his usual intensity. It's hard enough to square up a baseball or get a good jump on a hard grounder without nagging anxieties about injury sapping your concentration. 
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,943
Maine
Sampo Gida said:
This happened before with Pedey in June of 2011.  During a series in the Bronx  he was sent back for tests on his knee. There was talk of needing surgery and it was given as the reason for his poor performance over the last month or so.  Tests were fine, and he came back and went on a tear,  I remember being amazed at the quick recovery,
 
Could be a pyschological thing where the pain or discomfort isn't really enough to physically inhibit him, but it is enough to plant the seeds of doubt that it could get worse.  As a result, he babies it, hesitates on pushing it, makes unnecessary adjustments to protect it, etc.  Once he gets the medical confirmation that he's okay and not going to cause further damage, he gets right back to normal.
 

Sampo Gida

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 7, 2010
5,038
Red(s)HawksFan said:
 
Could be a pyschological thing where the pain or discomfort isn't really enough to physically inhibit him, but it is enough to plant the seeds of doubt that it could get worse.  As a result, he babies it, hesitates on pushing it, makes unnecessary adjustments to protect it, etc.  Once he gets the medical confirmation that he's okay and not going to cause further damage, he gets right back to normal.
 
Yeah, in fact that's pretty much what he said IIRCC. he was worried about the knee and when he found out everything was ok he knew he could not hurt it anymore than it was and relaxed
 

Plympton91

bubble burster
SoSH Member
Oct 19, 2008
12,065
Rasputin said:
 
He's [Middlebrooks] begun baseball activities. Doesn't sound like it will be much longer.
 
I thought the report on one of the games over the weekend was that it would be a while longer.  Whoever was talking indicated that "It wasn't a complete tear, but it was almost a complete tear.   He's hitting, but he still can't run."
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,943
Maine
Plympton91 said:
 
I thought the report on one of the games over the weekend was that it would be a while longer.  Whoever was talking indicated that "It wasn't a complete tear, but it was almost a complete tear.   He's hitting, but he still can't run."
Three days ago in the Herald.

Middlebrooks resumed baseball activities before Wednesday’s game at Fenway Park and plans to take swings off the tee and ramp up his agility drills this weekend in New York. With any luck, he will be ready to come off the disabled list on April 20, the first day he’s eligible, possibly after a brief minor league rehab assignment.
 

Rasputin

Will outlive SeanBerry
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 4, 2001
29,156
Not here
Middlebrooks resumed baseball activities before Wednesday’s game at Fenway Park and plans to take swings off the tee and ramp up his agility drills this weekend in New York. With any luck, he will be ready to come off the disabled list on April 20, the first day he’s eligible, possibly after a brief minor league rehab assignment.
 
As it is currently the 14th, six more days plus a few rehab games sounds like not much longer to me.
 

DaveRoberts'Shoes

Aaron Burr
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Nov 1, 2005
3,977
OR 12
Plympton91 said:
 
I thought the report on one of the games over the weekend was that it would be a while longer.  Whoever was talking indicated that "It wasn't a complete tear, but it was almost a complete tear.   He's hitting, but he still can't run."
Yeah, it was a grade 1, not even really a tear - more of a strain.
 
Sounds like they were worried about a non-displaced fracture for Pedroia - since there wasn't one, the presumptive diagnosis is a wrist sprain - I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a cortisone injection and he takes a couple more days off to see how it responds before going back into a game.  I'm thinking... Thursday.
 

Minneapolis Millers

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
1,973
Twin Cities
With a guy like Pedroia, they should probably sedate him for two days to be CERTAIN that he takes the days off and rests the wrist.  Merely holding him out of the line-up won't be enough.
 

Laser Show

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 7, 2008
4,870
DaveRoberts'Shoes said:
Yeah, it was a grade 1, not even really a tear - more of a strain.
 
Sounds like they were worried about a non-displaced fracture for Pedroia - since there wasn't one, the presumptive diagnosis is a wrist sprain - I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a cortisone injection and he takes a couple more days off to see how it responds before going back into a game.  I'm thinking... Thursday.
 
https://twitter.com/GordonEdes/status/456174405509320705