Game Thread March 21-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinho Tinto

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 9, 2003
7,127
Auburn, MA
SoxFanInCali said:
If Giggs was any good, he would have actually played in an international tournament in his career.
 The funny thing about the Olympics is that it is unimportant until your country is playing for gold.
 

Zososoxfan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 30, 2009
9,407
South of North
The MU-LIV game was a good watch. Mata puts on a finishing clinic, my god that 2nd goal. Fellaini had a great game. Gerrard is an idiot. Di Maria looked all out of sorts. Coutinho is amazing, but he didn't have a lot of help today.

Clasico lineups include no surprises. Modric will play alongside Kroos and Isco, which is a bit risky considering he's been out so long, has he played much since February? I can't find stats.
 

Zomp

Moderator
Moderator
SoSH Member
Aug 28, 2006
13,975
The Slums of Shaolin
First 30 minutes have been entertaining.  Should be 1-1 after Ronaldo hit the post from close distance but Matthieu had a nice header.
 
The theatrics, as always, are on full display.
 

DennyDoyle'sBoil

Found no thrill on Blueberry Hill
SoSH Member
Sep 9, 2008
43,945
AZ
"His finishing has been as sharp as a bag of wet mice." I love Hudson. I know he bugs some, but I don't know if I could watch a Clasico without him.

Hudson and Schoen sound pretty much the same when at the game as they do in their little windowless booth in Florida. I can't tell a difference, which is kind of interesting. I wonder if they are watching on tv to call it just because that's what they are used to or if they are watching the pitch.
 

DennyDoyle'sBoil

Found no thrill on Blueberry Hill
SoSH Member
Sep 9, 2008
43,945
AZ
Great game. Suarez probably the MOTM, or maybe give it to the assistant that flagged offside on Bale's almost goal. But there were phenomenal performances all over the field. Pique really stands out, making big play after big play, especially in the first half when Real Madrid had their ears pinned back and were attacking.
 

Zososoxfan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 30, 2009
9,407
South of North
I think Mathieu should get a lot of credit for this win. His goal was obviously huge, but he also played pretty solid defense and his speed at CB is such an asset. Benzema's pass was unreal. The Bale goal waived off was pretty clearly offsides on CRonaldo. Messi was relatively quiet this game until RM started pushing numbers forward after the Suarez goal. Marcelo had a great game. The Bravo save on the deflected Benz shot was spectacular. Neymar really needed to finish one tonight, but didn't have it. Very even game overall, I thought Real had more chances/shots, but the stats show shots in favor of Barca 17-13 (5-4 SOG). If you had to show someone why soccer is great though, the Clasico (generally) would be the first game I show them - supreme skill, organization, and astute tactics on display with (mostly) regularity.
 

SocrManiac

Tommy Seebach’s mustache
SoSH Member
Apr 15, 2006
8,814
Somers, CT
It's time to put a bullet in Hudson's head. He's an embarrassment. He seems to think we're there to listen to him scream and make the types of noises you'd kick somebody out of your house for. What a ridiculous mess.
 
The game itself... I look forward to the next World Cup when the Italians are again viewed as the world's masters of simulation regardless of the facts in front of us This game was 50% football, 20% simulation, and 30% referee manipulation. Serie A can match it, but can't surpass it.
 

Zososoxfan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 30, 2009
9,407
South of North
I disagree about Ray. When I first heard his broadcasts, I was annoyed with his shtick, but now that I've been subjected to Martin Tyler's inane and often incorrect commentary, Ray is a sigh of relief. Granted, he's the Jack Edwards of soccer and that might grate on folks, but I still think he's better than the Fox Sports crew (both Spanish and English - the Spanish team is surprisingly awful).
 

Turrable

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 12, 2011
2,670
Zososoxfan said:
I disagree about Ray. When I first heard his broadcasts, I was annoyed with his shtick, but now that I've been subjected to Martin Tyler's inane and often incorrect commentary, Ray is a sigh of relief. Granted, he's the Jack Edwards of soccer and that might grate on folks, but I still think he's better than the Fox Sports crew (both Spanish and English - the Spanish team is surprisingly awful).
 
Jack knows his stuff and calls it pretty straight until something sets him off. Hudson, in addition to providing no worthwhile analysis, is just constantly looking/begging for a reason to freak out, and it's fake as hell. At one point in the game there was a pretty decent Messi shot that missed and he unleashed some ridiculous rant about how Einstein would have marveled at his genius or whatever. Einstein would have been like "he missed, dude."
 

DennyDoyle'sBoil

Found no thrill on Blueberry Hill
SoSH Member
Sep 9, 2008
43,945
AZ
Turrable said:
Jack knows his stuff and calls it pretty straight until something sets him off. Hudson, in addition to providing no worthwhile analysis, is just constantly looking/begging for a reason to freak out, and it's fake as hell. At one point in the game there was a pretty decent Messi shot that missed and he unleashed some ridiculous rant about how Einstein would have marveled at his genius or whatever. Einstein would have been like "he missed, dude."
When one of the Young Boys players missed a sitter, Einstein was know to yell, "I'll glass you, you hipster cunt." Except in Bernese. True story.
 

Zososoxfan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 30, 2009
9,407
South of North
ConigliarosPotential said:
 
I'm pretty sure that's the first bad word I've ever heard about Martin Tyler's commentary.
 
If Tyler is the one calling the UCL games on Fox Sports, I stand by it. Those broadcasters have consistently been missing obvious cues as to what's happening on the field, actually detract from the excitement of the game, and IMHO misread the flow of the game.
 

teddykgb

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 16, 2005
11,425
Chelmsford, MA
You guys know how to rip the fun out of everything.  Hudson is a complete nutjob and it's awesome in so many ways that he's somehow become the top announcer in the game.  Live a little, just enjoy the oddity.
 

sachmoney

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 14, 2008
9,513
Tim Thomas' Bunker
I think that Tyler has brought more agenda to his play by play in recent years, but I still think that he's one of the best to describe games that there is. I also think it's worth noting that the quality of play by play commentary is also affected by the color commentator as well. I remember I hated hearing Darke with McManaman because McManaman was a black hole of cynicism and offers nothing more "nothing in it" or pie talk. It took away from the match commentary when Darke had to bring up tired news paper stories in order to engage McManaman because he was getting nothing from his color guy. All said, I don't think Tyler is the clear cut top choice that he once was.
 

teddykgb

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 16, 2005
11,425
Chelmsford, MA
One random thought I had watching Barca play a few times over the last few weeks is that Jordi Alba doesn't get enough credit for what he does in this Barcelona setup.  His speed as a full back is such a weapon, he made several recovering runs yesterday that I'm not sure any other FB can make.  With Barca always pushing the line forward to compress the space, it's really essential to have players who can sweep up stuff over the top and I feel Alba takes that to another level.  Against both City and Madrid there were occasions where Barca were opened up and the guy just sprints back and gives everyone time to recover.  I don't think he's the best footballer I've ever seen, but I think he does an awful lot to make that squad work.
 

Zososoxfan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 30, 2009
9,407
South of North
teddykgb said:
One random thought I had watching Barca play a few times over the last few weeks is that Jordi Alba doesn't get enough credit for what he does in this Barcelona setup.  His speed as a full back is such a weapon, he made several recovering runs yesterday that I'm not sure any other FB can make.  With Barca always pushing the line forward to compress the space, it's really essential to have players who can sweep up stuff over the top and I feel Alba takes that to another level.  Against both City and Madrid there were occasions where Barca were opened up and the guy just sprints back and gives everyone time to recover.  I don't think he's the best footballer I've ever seen, but I think he does an awful lot to make that squad work.
 
My buddy and I were talking before the game and it's pretty stark how Alves is asked to stay home more in big games and Alba is the one pushing up. Alba's speed is really something to behold - there's no 40 yard overlapping run or recovery run he doesn't elect to bust his lungs for.
 

teddykgb

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 16, 2005
11,425
Chelmsford, MA
Zososoxfan said:
 
My buddy and I were talking before the game and it's pretty stark how Alves is asked to stay home more in big games and Alba is the one pushing up. Alba's speed is really something to behold - there's no 40 yard overlapping run or recovery run he doesn't elect to bust his lungs for.
 
Yeah, Alves is not really the same player anymore anyway, he just flashes in spurts now and doesn't put in half the shift Alba does at this point.  There's no crime in that and he's still a very good player, but he's not the constant threat he was when he was a bit younger and they seem to ask him to rein in a bit in these big matches, as you noted.
 
What are your thoughts on Gaya? He seems to be gathering a great reputation but I haven't seen him much.  I watch players like Kurzawa and I just don't see it, but there's a real dearth of LBs in football right now who look the real deal.
 

bosox4283

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Mar 2, 2004
4,723
Philadelphia
I watched the highlights over lunch. Suarez's goal was fantastic -- what a play, from the first-touch to the strike. 
 

DLew On Roids

guilty of being sex
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Aug 30, 2001
13,906
The Pine Street Inn
teddykgb said:
You guys know how to rip the fun out of everything.  Hudson is a complete nutjob and it's awesome in so many ways that he's somehow become the top announcer in the game.  Live a little, just enjoy the oddity.
 
Exactly.  I don't remember the last time I learned something new from a color guy.  May as well have him be a wackjob.
 

Turrable

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 12, 2011
2,670
But he's not even crazy! Nic Cage is crazy. I'd love some unpredictable, Nic Cage level crazy in the booth. Hudson is just completely premeditated, canned, desperate to make you think he's crazy crazy. He reminds me of me in fourth grade.
 

SocrManiac

Tommy Seebach’s mustache
SoSH Member
Apr 15, 2006
8,814
Somers, CT
That's just it. If you listen to his radio show he's damn near lucid.

His goal during broadcasts is to impose himself in the game and be a bigger star than the action on the field. The stuff that comes out of his mouth is nonsensical gibberish. He destroys the flow of the game in a Gus Johnson-esque manner, orgasming over the ordinary and losing his shit whenever the ball approaches the box. The game becomes massive peaks and valleys instead of the natural rise and fall of an attack and counter. He's a disaster and his continued employment and use in major matches is infuriating.
 

Turrable

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 12, 2011
2,670
I'm starting to think that he's actually the most divisive figure in soccer, at least on this board.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.