A's @ Royals AL Wild Card Game Thread

Dec 10, 2012
6,943
Jon Lester v. Panty Shields
 
I can't believe I  have to root  against you, Jon. (Sorry, 1988 and 1990 nightmares, Sabes, and Bo makes this a relatively easy decision)
 
Tuesday 8:07 TBS
 
(Is DO calling this one?)
 

Al Zarilla

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 8, 2005
50,896
San Andreas Fault
Dan to Theo to Ben said:
Jon Lester v. Panty Shields
 
I can't believe I  have to root  against you, Jon. (Sorry, 1988 and 1990 nightmares, Sabes, and Bo makes this a relatively easy decision)
 
Tuesday 8:07 TBS
 
(Is DO calling this one?)
So, you're calling the guy you want to beat Lester Panty?
 

Papo The Snow Tiger

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 18, 2010
702
Connecticut
In the playoffs  when there's two teams playing that I don't have strong feelings for one way or the other I root for the team with the most ex-Red Sox. Go A's.
 

Plympton91

bubble burster
SoSH Member
Oct 19, 2008
12,119
I'm in DTB's boat. No matter how many ex-Red Sox are on the A's, I can't root for that organization. Screw them, go Royals. And having less wear and tear as well as less mystique and aura on John Lester's arm will make him safer and cheaper to resign.
 

Mugsy's Jock

Longtime Member
Lifetime Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Dec 28, 2000
10,833
Bi-Coastal, for the time being
When Lester was traded to the A's, I made a solemn vow to root for him to win another ring for them regardless of how likable a team may find its way in his path.

Love the Royals story, but I owe Lester one.
 

Hee Sox Choi

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 27, 2006
5,869
I'm from NorCal and my mom is a big A's fan.  Lester will dominate that line-up and Big Name James will once again fail to live up to his faux moniker.  That is, until he signs for 4/76 with the Sox and finally earns his "Big Game" tag in 2015.  A vote for the A's is a vote for logic, reason and science, three things that seem to be taking a hit in today's society.  Go Red Sox West!
 
Sep 13, 2006
689
Plympton91 said:
...And having less wear and tear as well as less mystique and aura on John Lester's arm will make him safer and cheaper to resign.
 
Exactly!  I hope Lester gets lit up like a Christmas tree on Tues.  Let his last taste of post-season glory be circa 2013 not 2014 (until he heads up the Sox '15 Championship rotation).
 

E5 Yaz

Transcends message boarding
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
62,220
Oregon
Rooting for the Royals. I always tend to back the teams that have had the longest playoff droughts.
 

nattysez

Member
SoSH Member
Sep 30, 2010
3,913
Donaldson can barely walk, Moss needs surgery and they've got Dunn batting second due to their lack of options.  I think Lester gives up a run and they lose 1-0 in a heartbreaker.
 

dynomite

Member
SoSH Member
I love Lester, and A's fans have suffered through a 15-year run of playoff failure, so I'll be happy for either team.

To be honest, with the exception of the Dodgers I don't have a problem with any of the teams in the playoffs this season, and would be especially happy to see any of the Nationals, Pirates, or Royals win it.
 

Marbleheader

Dope
Dope
Sep 27, 2004
10,289
Jon Lester is not coming back. Like the previous poster it is Anyone But the Dodgers for me. Maybe rooting a bit against Showalter too.
 

LeoCarrillo

Do his bits at your peril.
SoSH Member
Oct 13, 2008
7,505
New York City
Pretty wild that this game pits two GMs that nutted up and took a big risk for a shot at a title -- and the two aces they traded for in taking those leaps of faith.

For that, I wish both could move on and have that GM nerve rewarded.
 

InsideTheParker

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
26,128
Pioneer Valley
Yeah, anyone but the Dodgers suits me. But I have been an As fan for a few years now. Also, the Royals looked so bad against this year's Red Sox that it made me indifferent to their future success.
 

glasspusher

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 20, 2005
9,973
Oakland California
Kind of indifferent about this game. Rooting for Lester and the As, but happy to see the Royals back and wouldn't mind if they got through. 
 
Anybody but the Dodgers.
 
Ah, the time of year when I try to use DirectTV and figure out where the game is on. Doesn't seem to be on TBSHD (247). Any clues?
 
Never mind, I'm an idiot. Nothing like being a day early ;)
 

rymflaherty

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 27, 2010
2,624
Norfolk
Assuming there's a chance Lester could come back, it would seem Oakland losing would be best.
No additional innings on Lester's arm (for a second straight year) and no chance to further increase his market value with another clutch ace-like playoff run.

I get the Oakland love, but for those reasons (even if it turns out to be misplaced hope) I'd just assume KC win.
Although I won't be upset either way.
 

hbk72777

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
1,940
I'm going with KC.
 
Fun fact. MLB Network just said this is their 8th post season berth. Looking it up, this is the first one without George Brett.
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
38,076
Definitely pulling for the Royals tonight, had an affinity for them since Brett, that dude could just rake.
 
Look at 1980-- beyond the .390/.454/.664, he struck out just 22 times all season. Only his first and last full seasons below a 100 OPS+.
 
He also doesn't like the Yankees:
 
 

Spacemans Bong

chapeau rose
SoSH Member
Judging by some of the older Yankee fans on Baseball Think Factory, Brett might have scared Yankee fans more than any other player besides David Ortiz. The guy's lowest OPS in 4 series vs the Yanks was .833. .869 career OPS vs NY. 1.023 OPS in the postseason in his career.
 
If yesterday's "Let's go Royals!" chants swirling around Arrowhead tonight are any guide, Kauffman is going to be an insane asylum tonight.
 

Hendu for Kutch

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 7, 2006
5,786
Nashua, NH
I'm sure it will be crazy tonight, but I lost some of my gusto for the Royals when I was there a couple of weeks ago and the place was half-empty during a pennant race.  I've never seen a stadium so quiet as Kauffman was after the first pitch was thrown.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
9,982
Hendu for Kutch said:
I'm sure it will be crazy tonight, but I lost some of my gusto for the Royals when I was there a couple of weeks ago and the place was half-empty during a pennant race.  I've never seen a stadium so quiet as Kauffman was after the first pitch was thrown.
 
That could be a function of opponent and/or the day of the week (because of where the park is located, I imagine getting to weekday games on time can be pretty difficult). I caught the Sox there on a Saturday last year and the place was packed and pretty raucous from the very beginning. No, it wasn't Fenway raucous, but it was a pretty good atmosphere.
 

Jerrygarciaparra

My kid has superpowers
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2001
3,140
Montpelier, VT
Hendu for Kutch said:
I'm sure it will be crazy tonight, but I lost some of my gusto for the Royals when I was there a couple of weeks ago and the place was half-empty during a pennant race.  I've never seen a stadium so quiet as Kauffman was after the first pitch was thrown.
 
Funny, I was there last year when the team was around .500 on a Tuesday night, and the place was three-quarters full.  Even after a two hour rain delay.
 

Al Zarilla

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 8, 2005
50,896
San Andreas Fault
I'd almost rather watch an A's game at home than at the mausoleum, but I have to hand it to the fans. Where else would you get good sized rooting sections for marginal guys like Stephen Vogt ("I'm voting for Vogt" signs) and Eric Sogard (Nerd Power)?
 

glennhoffmania

but still failing
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,397,819
NY
It would be a really interesting series if these two teams could actually play one.  Instead we get this one game farce, thanks to Bud.
 

PrometheusWakefield

Nasty, brutish, and short
SoSH Member
May 25, 2009
8,935
Boston, MA
Really tough decision on who to root for here. Not pulling for Lester feels like betrayal. But how can you not root for the Royals to actually make something of this postseason chance. 
 

Max Power

thai good. you like shirt?
SoSH Member
Jul 20, 2005
3,690
Boston, MA
glennhoffmania said:
It would be a really interesting series if these two teams could actually play one.  Instead we get this one game farce, thanks to Bud.
 
Are you suggesting a full series between the two teams that the other three would have to wait for the finish of? Or for the A's to not be involved at all?
 

hbk72777

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
1,940
MLB Network just showed a graphic on how players were aquired
 
Homegrown, FA/Waiver or trades
 
the A's have 1 home grown player. That's a 1
 

glennhoffmania

but still failing
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,397,819
NY
Max Power said:
 
Are you suggesting a full series between the two teams that the other three would have to wait for the finish of? Or for the A's to not be involved at all?
 
I'm saying in my hypothetical fantasy world Oakland and KC would be two of the four playoff teams. 
 
Al Zarilla said:
I'd almost rather watch an A's game at home than at the mausoleum, but I have to hand it to the fans. Where else would you get good sized rooting sections for marginal guys like Stephen Vogt ("I'm voting for Vogt" signs) and Eric Sogard (Nerd Power)?
 
 

I like the mausoleum if only for its connection to the great A's teams from the early 70s. I imagine some sort of raw mystique has carried its way through 4 championships and countless heartbreaking playoff losses despite the horrible venue. Kind of like the old Garden, bad as it was...but we loved it! at least I did.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

pedro1918

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 5, 2004
3,905
39°0′15″N 77°1′8″W
I'm definitely rooting for the Royals.  I really can't stand the Athletics.  Being a DC local, I'm a Nats supporter overall, so here is my ranking of the 10 postseason teams:
 
1. Nationals
2. Royals
3. Pirates
4. Giants
5. Tigers
6. Athletics
7. Cardinals
8. Angels
9. Death
10. Dodgers
11. Orioles
 

glennhoffmania

but still failing
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,397,819
NY
HriniakPosterChild said:
 
 
Is it Bud's fault that both the Angels and the Tigers have better records than the teams you want to see in the ALDS? 
 
 
What?  My main point, which wasn't meant to ignite another playoff system debate, was that play in games in MLB are really stupid.  All I was saying was that I think KC/Oak would be an interesting series.  Period.  I wasn't saying they both deserve to be in the playoffs over either LA or Detroit.  The part that's Bud's fault is adding a 5th team, whoever it may be.
 
May 30, 2014
375
pedro1918 said:
I'm definitely rooting for the Royals.  I really can't stand the Athletics.  Being a DC local, I'm a Nats supporter overall, so here is my ranking of the 10 postseason teams:
 
1. Nationals
2. Royals
3. Pirates
4. Giants
5. Tigers
6. Athletics
7. Cardinals
8. Angels
9. Death
10. Dodgers
11. Orioles
 
I can't tell whether this ranking is just based on your personal preferences, or your assessment of the merits of each team. If it's the latter, man, are you underrating the Orioles.
 
Speaking of the Orioles, when was the last time an AL East Division winner (and by 12 games!) is not even considered a top 2-3 favourite to win it all? They've been underrated all year - I can see them sneaking into the World Series.
 

kieckeredinthehead

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 26, 2006
8,167
Al Zarilla said:
I'd almost rather watch an A's game at home than at the mausoleum, but I have to hand it to the fans. Where else would you get good sized rooting sections for marginal guys like Stephen Vogt ("I'm voting for Vogt" signs) and Eric Sogard (Nerd Power)?
These are boutique fan choices, the perfect approach for hipsters from Temescal. Who are they supposed to root for, Lester? Locavores only, pls!
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
11,159
Maine
Lineups...
 
Oakland
Crisp 8
Fuld 7
Donaldson 5
Moss DH
Reddick 9
Lowrie 6
Vogt 3
Soto 2
Sogard 4
Lester 1
 
Kansas City:
Escobar 6
Aoki 9
Cain 8
Hosmer 3
Butler DH
Gordon 7
Perez 2
Infante 4
Moustakas 5
Shields 1
 
 
So, in what could be the only playoff game of his career, no start for Adam Dunn.  And against a lefty, no lefty-masher Josh Willingham for the Royals.  Whew.  No wonder these teams are in this position.
 

Hendu for Kutch

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 7, 2006
5,786
Nashua, NH
Bosoxen said:
 
That could be a function of opponent and/or the day of the week (because of where the park is located, I imagine getting to weekday games on time can be pretty difficult). I caught the Sox there on a Saturday last year and the place was packed and pretty raucous from the very beginning. No, it wasn't Fenway raucous, but it was a pretty good atmosphere.
 
Maybe, although Kauffman isn't Foxboro.  It's not in the middle of downtown or anything, but it only took us about 15-20 minutes from downtown to get there and getting out was pretty quick and easy. 
 
Oddly, when I got there the place seemed like it would be rocking, there was a lot of energy before the game despite the lack of people, but as soon as that first pitch was thrown it got eerily quiet.  I talked a bit with the people around me, and I asked some of them what was going on with Tim Collins because I have a soft spot for the little guy.  Not a single one of them knew who I was talking about.
 
Small sample size, I'm sure, but it wasn't impressive.  I did, however, walk away with this beauty for sitting in the Gordo Nation section of left field:
 
 

InsideTheParker

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
26,128
Pioneer Valley
Al Zarilla said:
I'd almost rather watch an A's game at home than at the mausoleum, but I have to hand it to the fans. Where else would you get good sized rooting sections for marginal guys like Stephen Vogt ("I'm voting for Vogt" signs) and Eric Sogard (Nerd Power)?
I'm glad to see that you are coming around to enjoying their fans, since you characterized them all as "hobos" earlier in the season. They are crazy enthusiastic, and I find that quite wonderful, even if I wouldn't like the noise of sitting next to some of the rowdier ones.
 

pedro1918

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 5, 2004
3,905
39°0′15″N 77°1′8″W
Snoop Soxy Dogg said:
 
I can't tell whether this ranking is just based on your personal preferences, or your assessment of the merits of each team. If it's the latter, man, are you underrating the Orioles.
 
 
I'll take Death's starting five over Clayton Kershaw any day of the week.
 

E5 Yaz

Transcends message boarding
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
62,220
Oregon
Red(s)HawksFan said:
 And against a lefty, no lefty-masher Josh Willingham for the Royals.  Whew.  No wonder these teams are in this position.
 
Butler's numbers against lefties this year are pretty much equal to Willingham, who has been fighting nagging injuries. Aoki and Hosmer have been the Royals hottest hitters of late, and they're not sitting Gordon or Cain
 

Al Zarilla

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 8, 2005
50,896
San Andreas Fault
InsideTheParker said:
I'm glad to see that you are coming around to enjoying their fans, since you characterized them all as "hobos" earlier in the season. They are crazy enthusiastic, and I find that quite wonderful, even if I wouldn't like the noise of sitting next to some of the rowdier ones.
That was Pseu Fighter that was seeing all the hobos. I was kind of egging him on about them. I was in the middle of a bunch of rabid A's fans at the game, but no hobos. Go Jon Lester anyway.
 

axx

lurker
Jul 16, 2005
6,404
Kind of interesting because of the roster selection - both teams have a guy who has very little ABs in the Majors - Billy Burns (12 AB) and Terrance Gore (1 AB). Base stealers off the bench.
 
Dec 10, 2012
6,943
axx said:
Kind of interesting because of the roster selection - both teams have a guy who has very little ABs in the Majors - Billy Burns (12 AB) and Terrance Gore (1 AB). Base stealers off the bench.
You don't need to carry 12 pitchers for a single game, especially with Aces on the hill. More likely to get marginal benefit from a position player with a certain skill. That has to be the reasoning.
 

kieckeredinthehead

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 26, 2006
8,167
Red(s)HawksFan said:
Lineups...
 
Oakland
Crisp 8
Fuld 7
Donaldson 5
Moss DH
Reddick 9
Lowrie 6
Vogt 3
Soto 2
Sogard 4
Lester 1
 
Kansas City:
Escobar 6
Aoki 9
Cain 8
Hosmer 3
Butler DH
Gordon 7
Perez 2
Infante 4
Moustakas 5
Shields 1
 
 
So, in what could be the only playoff game of his career, no start for Adam Dunn.  And against a lefty, no lefty-masher Josh Willingham for the Royals.  Whew.  No wonder these teams are in this position.
 
How the hell does Fuld get the start in LF over Adam Dunn?