Any info on the ring ceremony?

Section30

Well-Known Member
Bronze Supporter
SoSH Member
Aug 2, 2010
721
Portland OR
Thanks, since my skills are not good enough to Photoshop out Menino I have the Lowell-Varitek-Martinez pic up. Co-workers are already admiring it.
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,997
Maine
terrisus said:
 
Well, unlike the other championship trophies, where a new one is awarded every year, there is only one Stanley Cup, which changes hands every year depending on who won it that year.
 
 

brandonchristensen

mad photochops
SoSH Member
Feb 4, 2012
24,777
Those pics of all of the trophies are AWESOME.
 
That's some legends on the field right there!
 
Still sad Nomar wasn't apart of that :(
 

mabrowndog

Ask me about total zone...or paint
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 23, 2003
39,676
Falmouth, MA
I didn't realize until seeing this shot that the victims/survivors/family of the various Tsarnaev assaults all had their names on their jerseys. Great gesture by the club. (David L. Ryan/Globe)
 
 

mikeford

woolwich!
SoSH Member
Aug 6, 2006
25,571
Toronto, ON
pedro1918 said:
I wonder if they gave Manny or Lowell an MVP ring?  I'm thinking this more of a career achievement ring.
Lowell joked on EEI during the game that his MVP ring mustve gotten lost in the mail
 

mabrowndog

Ask me about total zone...or paint
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 23, 2003
39,676
Falmouth, MA
The Big Papi selfies continued, this time with MBTA Officer Dic Donahue (Jim Davis/Globe)
 
 

terrisus

formerly: imgran
SoSH Member
Preacher said:
 
I don't really care too much for the top of it (not enough thickness on the lettering of MVP, almost blends right in with the rest of the diamonds around it, and the words World and Series should be pulled in a bit more, they look like they're falling off the top and bottom), but I hadn't gotten a good look at the sides of it until now - and the sides are awesome.
 

Reverend

for king and country
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
mabrowndog said:
I didn't realize until seeing this shot that the victims/survivors/family of the various Tsarnaev assaults all had their names on their jerseys. Great gesture by the club. (David L. Ryan/Globe)
 
I think the ownership/management group really went out of their way to dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s on this one. But despite some bumps along the way, I've felt that way for a long time--there is an awesome column out there somewhere about how when they came on board, they buried and put to rest the "true curse" of the Red Sox by finally making in-roads with Boston's black community through funding youth baseball and such.
 
They just seem to get that sharing this as much as possible embiggens the moment. Sure, it's money out of their pocket, but spending it on a feel good vibe that encompasses a whole city and beyond is some pretty solid work.
 

amh03

Tippi Hedren
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 27, 2003
5,527
Well put, Rev!

Those rings are pretty amazing. Though I am curious what they did, in terms of a name on the ring, for Salty...think it was the nickname?
 

Bone Chips

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2009
736
South Windsor, CT
Reverend said:
 
I think the ownership/management group really went out of their way to dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s on this one. But despite some bumps along the way, I've felt that way for a long time--there is an awesome column out there somewhere about how when they came on board, they buried and put to rest the "true curse" of the Red Sox by finally making in-roads with Boston's black community through funding youth baseball and such.
 
They just seem to get that sharing this as much as possible embiggens the moment. Sure, it's money out of their pocket, but spending it on a feel good vibe that encompasses a whole city and beyond is some pretty solid work.
Good post Rev. When I think of this ownership group the word that comes to my mind is excellence. They do everything just a little bit better than they probably have to. World class ownership, and I for one am incredibly grateful.
 

caminante11

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 17, 2006
2,176
Brooklyn, NY
In case you missed it, here is the ceremony.  On the Red Sox page, it looks like all they have is a five minute highlights video.
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6Buam2dRo
 

mt8thsw9th

anti-SoSHal
SoSH Member
Jul 17, 2005
17,111
Brooklyn
Section30 said:
Thanks, since my skills are not good enough to Photoshop out Menino I have the Lowell-Varitek-Martinez pic up. Co-workers are already admiring it.
Why would you Photoshop out the one guy who's done a lot more for Boston than those guys?
 

shlincoln

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2009
1,517
terrisus said:
 
Well, unlike the other championship trophies, where a new one is awarded every year, there is only one Stanley Cup, which changes hands every year depending on who won it that year.
Never mind the fact that there are two Stanley Cups.  Three if you count the retired original.
 

amh03

Tippi Hedren
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 27, 2003
5,527
teddywingman said:
Is the Bruschi and banner photo real? I didn't notice the tent setup in the left field corner.
It was there:
 

Al Zarilla

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 8, 2005
50,574
San Andreas Fault
Lose Remerswaal said:
They just about always have the tent there to shield the special guests from prying eyes.  Keeps the secret longer.
Love the bolded, saying this kind of thing happens a lot. Bruins next would be great.
 
 - Entitled fan since early this century/millennium.
 

bosox1025

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
2,208
Does anyone have a link to the video montage they played before the ceremony started?
 

mabrowndog

Ask me about total zone...or paint
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 23, 2003
39,676
Falmouth, MA
This slideshow set to a live version of Dirty Water includes lots of "backstage" photos of all the trophies and athletes. Can't find any of those pics anywhere online, so they may have been taken by the video uploader. It's just really cool to see those high achievers and all that gleaming hardware  together in a backroom with cinder block walls, cork bulletin board, dropped tile ceiling, and dozens of plastic storage bins.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tszbM9dFJd4
 

PseuFighter

Silent scenester
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2003
12,489
11211
Lose Remerswaal said:
They just about always have the tent there to shield the special guests from prying eyes.  Keeps the secret longer.
how cool is it that we can say "they just about always..." meaning they do this thing more than once every 100 years?