The Second Half = Domination

ivanvamp

captain obvious
Jul 18, 2005
6,104
The past four games, the Patriots have absolutely OWNED the second half.  In utterly dominating fashion.  
 
Vs. Detroit
First Half
- NE:  24 points, 216 yards, 0 TO
- Det: 6 points, 200 yards, 0 TO
Second Half
- NE:  10 points, 217 yards, 1 TO
- Det:  3 points, 129 yards, 1 TO
 
Vs. Green Bay
First Half
- NE:  14 points, 181 yards, 0 TO
- GB:  23 points, 347 yards, 0 TO
Second Half
- NE:  7 points, 131 yards, 0 TO
- GB:  3 points, 126 yards, 0 TO
 
Vs. San Diego
First Half
- NE:  13 points, 255 yards, 1 TO
- SD:  14 points, 131 yards, 0 TO
Second Half
- NE:  10 points, 170 yards, 0 TO
- SD:  0 points, 99 yards, 1 TO
 
Vs. Miami
First Half
- NE:  14 points, 97 yards, 1 TO
- Mia:  13 points, 282 yards, 1 TO
Second Half
- NE:  27 points, 288 yards, 0 TO
- Mia:  0 points, 106 yards, 1 TO
 
 
TOTALS
First Half
- NE:  65 points, 749 yards, 2 TO
- Opp:  56 points, 960 yards, 1 TO
Second Half
- NE:  54 points, 806 yards, 1 TO
- Opp:  6 points, 460 yards, 3 TO
 
So the offense has been roughly the same in both halves, but my goodness, the defense.  56 points allowed in the first half, just *6* in the second half over the last four games!  And 960 yards allowed (240/g) in the first half compared with 460 (115/g) in the second?  
 
Not sure if that's just statistical noise or if the Patriots are doing something different in these second halves to crush the opposition. But whatever it is, I like it!
 

absintheofmalaise

too many flowers
Dope
SoSH Member
Mar 16, 2005
24,776
The gran facenda
It might be a myth, but from what I understand, every team from at least high school on makes adjustments on offense and defense at half time. Some even make adjustments during the game!!
 

ivanvamp

captain obvious
Jul 18, 2005
6,104
absintheofmalaise said:
It might be a myth, but from what I understand, every team from at least high school on makes adjustments on offense and defense at half time. Some even make adjustments during the game!!
 
I think we can all appreciate the snark, abs, but the reason I didn't just say that is because it isn't true that the Patriots have always been better in the second half this season.  For example, they got outplayed in the second halves vs. Miami and KC.  
 
If it was simply a matter of making adjustments, why don't the Patriots *ALWAYS* make adjustments and play better than the other team in the second half?  Could it be because the other teams make adjustments too?  Did Green Bay, Miami, SD, and Detroit all just sit around the locker room at halftime sipping lattes?  Did the coaches watch film of Rudy instead of looking at pictures of the first half?  
 
I think your "explanation" is something that if another poster wrote it, might receive a warning from a mod telling him to put a little more thought into it before he clicks "Post".  
 

Dead Balls

New Member
Jul 18, 2005
103
absintheofmalaise said:
It might be a myth, but from what I understand, every team from at least high school on makes adjustments on offense and defense at half time. Some even make adjustments during the game!!
 
Lets talk about nothing!  Mega threads all around!
 
ivanvamp said:
 
I think we can all appreciate the snark, abs, but the reason I didn't just say that is because it isn't true that the Patriots have always been better in the second half this season.  For example, they got outplayed in the second halves vs. Miami and KC.  
 
If it was simply a matter of making adjustments, why don't the Patriots *ALWAYS* make adjustments and play better than the other team in the second half?  Could it be because the other teams make adjustments too?  Did Green Bay, Miami, SD, and Detroit all just sit around the locker room at halftime sipping lattes?  Did the coaches watch film of Rudy instead of looking at pictures of the first half?  
 
I think your "explanation" is something that if another poster wrote it, might receive a warning from a mod telling him to put a little more thought into it before he clicks "Post".  
 
So it just isn't the opponent then.  How much is defensive adjustments and how much is it offense holding the ball and limiting time of possession for the other team?
 

GeorgeCostanza

tiger king
SoSH Member
May 16, 2009
7,290
Go f*ck yourself
I think it went without saying that of course they make adjustments at halftime. The point I got out of this is just how insanely dominant they have been in the second half. 6 points allowed. 6 fucking points over 120 minutes of football.
 

m0ckduck

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 20, 2005
2,010
ivanvamp said:
So the offense has been roughly the same in both halves,
 
The other 'split' that jumps out is how sluggish the offense has looked in the first two drives.. after which, they seem to kick it into gear.
 
Drives 1-2 (same 4-game sample):
1 FG
2 turnovers
5 punts
3 points
 
Drives 3-4: 
6 TDs (!)
1 FG
1 punt
45 points
 

ivanvamp

captain obvious
Jul 18, 2005
6,104
Dead Balls said:
 
So it just isn't the opponent then.  How much is defensive adjustments and how much is it offense holding the ball and limiting time of possession for the other team?
 
Not being a coach, I don't know *exactly* what they're doing differently.  I don't know what they're doing different defensively.  One thing to consider:  In yesterday's game, Miami, on several occasions, turned down field goals because they were going for it on fourth down.  So there could have been some points scored in the normal run of play that didn't, because the time/score forced Miami to not take those easy 3 points.  
 
And sometimes it isn't just halftime adjustments per se.  Sometimes coaches call certain plays in certain situations early in a game, knowing that he'll use that as a setup for a similar situation in the second half.  So what looks like an adjustment to us isn't really an adjustment - it's part of the game plan all along.  
 
I think against Miami they shifted Revis onto Wallace.  That was one specific adjustment. 
 
Sometimes it's not just an adjustment, but rather execution.  You run the same play in both halves, but Brady's throw is accurate in the second half because he has just a little more time, compared to the first half.  Or defensively, the pass rusher just gets a little more pressure on the QB, forcing a wild throw, when he wasn't getting there in the first half.  
 
Sometimes it's just statistical noise.  
 

C4CRVT

Member
SoSH Member
Feb 29, 2008
3,079
Heart of the Green Mountains
This is a theory (I'll probably not be hired to write for the new site any time soon) but the ability and versatility of the personnell on this D make it possible to make real, substantial changes to the game plan and execute them well.
 

singaporesoxfan

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 21, 2004
11,970
Washington, DC
For what it's worth, the Patriots received the kick off to start the 2nd half of all of those games. Perhaps that helped in terms of controlling the tempo of the game.
 

( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

T&A
SoSH Member
Feb 9, 2010
5,303
Providence, RI
GeorgeCostanza said:
I think it went without saying that of course they make adjustments at halftime. The point I got out of this is just how insanely dominant they have been in the second half. 6 points allowed. 6 fucking points over 120 minutes of football.
 
You should have added that it was 120 minutes of football against four teams that are (or were) playoffs contenders.  This was not second half domination against the dregs of the league.  This was against above average, good and very good competition (some of which also occurred away from home)
 

steveluck7

Member
SoSH Member
May 10, 2007
4,022
Burrillville, RI
These stats look great but lookign deeper, it's even more impressive. In the wins, after the Patrios final score, they have given up the following yard totals:
MIA - 31
SD - 32
DET - 32
Basically that's gargabe time yardage.
3 playoff quality teams who have been held to less than 100 yds of offense in the 2nd halves until true garbage time. Very impressive D being played late in these games
 

Ralphwiggum

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 27, 2012
9,889
Needham, MA
One other factor to consider, by my count the Pats were called for 9 defensive penalties that extended drives for the other team in the first half of those four games, but only three in the second half of those games.  Not sure if that is coincidental, or if the Pats make an effort to clean up their play in the 2nd half, or if the refs let more stuff go as the game goes along, but that has to have an impact.