Red Sox sign Rich Hill

soxhop411

news aggravator
SoSH Member
Dec 4, 2009
47,078
@alexspeier: Hill is the first Sox pitcher ever with three straight 10K starts to open his Red Sox career.
 

Buzzkill Pauley

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 30, 2006
10,569
NJ_Sox_Fan said:
How is Rich Hill all of a sudden really good?
Ask Aaron Small.

No really, he's an indy league pickup for the last place Boston Red Sox. Do you think other teams are seriously advance scouting him much?

Of course, his stuff is far better than the usual indy-league pickup. So there's that, too. This is what, Hill's fourth reinvention of his pitching style?
 

pantsparty

Member
SoSH Member
May 2, 2011
570
I haven't watched super closely, but it kinda looks like he changes arm angles when throwing to different batters.
 

benhogan

Granite Truther
SoSH Member
Nov 2, 2007
21,111
Santa Monica
I wonder if they offered him $1MM for next season, if he'd take it?  
 
or we can wait to the off-season and watch the A's sign him for close to ML minimum.
 

The Gray Eagle

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2001
17,252
They should be talking to his agent right now about a contract for next year. Not saying sign him no matter what, at all, but just see what Hill is looking for-- he surely wants a chance to start, but getting a chance "to compete for a spot in the rotation" certainly isn't out of the question here. That's probably all he would get from other teams too, given his age and small sample size.
 
He is local and presumably likes pitching here, things are going great, maybe something can be worked out before he hits the market. A guaranteed major league contract, with incentives based on innings pitched, seems like it might work for both sides. If he is determined to get a guaranteed spot in someone's rotation, then it won't be here. But who else will guarantee him that?
 
The sample size is so tiny, that the stats are pretty meaningless. But how many pitchers have put up three straight starts like this, 10 or more Ks, with a 30-2 K/BB rate, and not been at least worth a roster spot the next season? 
 
He looks great from an observation perspective, leaving the tiny statistical sample size out of the question. He is making hitters look silly with his curve, and showing great command.
 
Hill is old and gets hurt a lot. But he could be good for 50 or 60 really good innings next year, whether in a few starts or as a lefty reliever. That seems like it should be worth a couple million and a roster spot, especially considering some of the abysmal pitching we have seen here over the past few seasons. 
 

Lose Remerswaal

Experiencing Furry Panic
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
benhogan said:
I wonder if they offered him $1MM for next season, if he'd take it?  
 
or we can wait to the off-season and watch the A's sign him for close to ML minimum.
 
I wouldn't, if I was him.
 
I'd be offering him a 1 year deal for $5 million with a second year at up to $5 million vesting based on innings pitched,  $2 million guaranteed, $500K more for each "X" innings pitched, depending on the team's planned for him.  And I'd be offering it now, when he doesn't have alternatives.
 
Hell, they threw away a whole lot more than that on "Rusty" Masterson.
 

scotian1

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
16,432
Kingston, Nova Scotia
After watching what I consider the Sox best start of the season, I believe the Sox should sign him to a two year deal which is what I think it will take to have him stay. To me, he is a Henry Owens but with maturity and command.
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
21,547
Maine
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but we're talking about three starts by a 36-year-old journeyman.  Three great starts, for sure, but still just three starts during garbage time of a lost season.  The suggestions of multi-year offers involving multiple millions still seem very premature to me.
 
Even with what he's shown, I think it would be foolish to rush into locking him up for 2016 now.  This is a case where I'd be fine letting him explore the market and seeing what he can get.  If it's not totally unreasonable, go ahead and offer to match it.  Otherwise, let someone else risk multiple millions on the hope that Hill's King Kelly act is sustainable.
 

mwonow

Member
SoSH Member
Sep 4, 2005
7,296
wade boggs chicken dinner said:
That would be a lot more impressive if he didn't have 73 prior career starts.
 
Yeah, but - it's pretty darned impressive without any qualifiers, too. I think Hill has earned a contract and a shot at the rotation next year. The goal is to win games, and he's winning 'em.
 

Buzzkill Pauley

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 30, 2006
10,569
It's not much risk to pay him like a good reliever, though. The downside is losing that money to injury, but the upside is paying reliever money to a good starter.

2 years and $6MM guatanteed, with incentives based on IP OR GS, which could add another $2MM per year, is what I'd try to get done during the exclusive negotiating period.

$6-10MM has to be pretty appealing offer for a local guy who was just signed away from the Long Island Ducks.

Meanwhile, for a $3MM/year bet, the Sox get someone who, if healthy, can at least shut down a L-R-L inning, and at most can pitch a complete game shutout.
 

wade boggs chicken dinner

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 26, 2005
31,975
Today on .com, Ian York does what only Ian York can do, using his unique visual analysis to look at Hill's repertoire.
Another good article, thanks Ian.

BTW, here's another article that echoes what Ian is saying - that Hill's fastball and curveball starts out by looking the same and the hitters apparently can't tell the difference in time: http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammons-from-legion-fields-to-fenway-park-rich-hills-journey-continues-in-boston/

One other thing about his changeup. Gammo (http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammons-from-legion-fields-to-fenway-park-rich-hills-journey-continues-in-boston/) states that after the TB game, Willis showed him a new change-up grip; that's why he threw it against TOR and not TB.

Great story. Wonder how many innings he could pitch next year.
 

Philip Jeff Frye

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 23, 2001
10,431
scotian1 said:
After watching what I consider the Sox best start of the season, I believe the Sox should sign him to a two year deal which is what I think it will take to have him stay. To me, he is a Henry Owens but with maturity and command.
And without the health. It's a nice story that's he's pitched so well, but a team that hopes to be competitive can't rely on a guy like this. He's had, what, one season without injuries and that was a long time ago?
 

curly2

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 8, 2003
4,979
wade boggs chicken dinner said:
That would be a lot more impressive if he didn't have 73 prior career starts.
 
Yes, but Pedro Martinez, Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett and plenty of others had lots of starts before joining the Red Sox, and none of them did it.
 

Buzzkill Pauley

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 30, 2006
10,569
Philip Jeff Frye said:
It's a nice story that's he's pitched so well, but a team that hopes to be competitive can't rely on a guy like this. He's had, what, one season without injuries and that was a long time ago?
You have just described Clay Buchholz.
 

Snodgrass'Muff

oppresses WARmongers
SoSH Member
Mar 11, 2008
27,644
Roanoke, VA
canderson said:
Same cop, same move, as the Grand Slam(tm).
 
Hands are different. Now jazz hands with his right this time around... the effort just isn't there. He must be in the twilight of his career.
 

timlinin8th

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 6, 2009
1,521
wade boggs chicken dinner said:
That would be a lot more impressive if he didn't have 73 prior career starts.
Also be more impressive if it was actually starting his Red Sox career... Or does 2010-2012 not count anymore?
 

The X Man Cometh

New Member
Dec 13, 2013
390
Philip Jeff Frye said:
And without the health. It's a nice story that's he's pitched so well, but a team that hopes to be competitive can't rely on a guy like this. He's had, what, one season without injuries and that was a long time ago?
Which is why... You don't rely on him. This is exactly the kind of move that a big bad 180M payroll is for. Spend 6M short term on an arm that is likely relief, possibly more, and has enough of a chance to be less that it will scare away teams with shallower pockets.
 

Plympton91

bubble burster
SoSH Member
Oct 19, 2008
12,408
The X Man Cometh said:
Which is why... You don't rely on him. This is exactly the kind of move that a big bad 180M payroll is for. Spend 6M short term on an arm that is likely relief, possibly more, and has enough of a chance to be less that it will scare away teams with shallower pockets.
Hill has been dominant. And Ian's analysis explains why. But a close comp, it seems, is Chris Young, the pitcher. He also had bouts of above average starting pitching interrupted by injuries and ineffectiveness. After a good season in Seattle last year, he languished all winter before signing a 1 year $1 millions deal with KC. He's had another good season there.


I don't think it will take that much to sign him based on that. A major league guarantee of a couple million and another couple million in possible incentives based on games started and appearances.
 

Minneapolis Millers

Wants you to please think of the Twins fans!
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
4,753
Twin Cities
^  This.  Hill will try to maximize his guaranteed money, but it seems unlikely that anyone will offer more than a $2-3M base contract.  Given his track record, it's just a poor bet that he'll last long in the rotation.  But if minor injuries were to force him back to the pen, he has shown that he can have value there as well - enough to warrant a $3M guarantee (and, along with it, a ML roster spot). 
 

DourDoerr

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 15, 2004
2,950
Berkeley, CA
Plympton91 said:
Hill has been dominant. And Ian's analysis explains why. But a close comp, it seems, is Chris Young, the pitcher. He also had bouts of above average starting pitching interrupted by injuries and ineffectiveness. After a good season in Seattle last year, he languished all winter before signing a 1 year $1 millions deal with KC. He's had another good season there.


I don't think it will take that much to sign him based on that. A major league guarantee of a couple million and another couple million in possible incentives based on games started and appearances.
I'll agree with this.  Up to 6 million for an oft-injured 36 YO, who's put together a few good/great starts?  Boston has a huge payroll, but why throw away money?  Given where he was playing earlier in the year and, with the current SSS of high performance, I'm doubtful other teams are going to want to throw millions his way.  Since he's local, maybe you can leverage that by being able to match the highest offer (if it's reasonable) and he gets to stay close to home...
 

threecy

Cosbologist
SoSH Member
Sep 1, 2006
1,587
Tamworth, NH
His absolute ceiling would be a lefty who struggled with control and injuries during his prime who only had a few full MLB seasons under his belt by the time he was wearing a Red Sox uniform in his early to mid 30s.  After Jamie Moyer left the Red Sox, he went on to have 13 full seasons as an above average starter.

The floor is he doesn't make it out of spring training.

Hard not to give him a look if he can be signed for bullpen depth dollars.
 

Philip Jeff Frye

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 23, 2001
10,431
threecy said:
His absolute ceiling would be a lefty who struggled with control and injuries during his prime who only had a few full MLB seasons under his belt by the time he was wearing a Red Sox uniform in his early to mid 30s.  After Jamie Moyer left the Red Sox, he went on to have 13 full seasons as an above average starter.
Yes, Jamie Moyer was an extreme outlier so anyone could be!