Who is Jake Wesley?

joe dokes

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
13,530
I hope someone who is listening is at least running through the Chauncy Gardner checklist. Sounds way too implausible.
 

NDame616

will bailey
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2006
1,764
burstnbloom said:
This is awesome.  His teachers give him permission to use his phone during class.  
Not sure what the true story is but I don't buy this, and IF it is true we would have this guys face, address, SSN and list of greatest fears by now.

How many kids in Missouri are allowed to tweet from their iPhone during class?

Not buying it

(Turd in a punch bowl )
 

Darnell's Son

He's a machine.
Dope
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 23, 2010
8,842
Providence, RI
NDame616 said:
Not sure what the true story is but I don't buy this, and IF it is true we would have this guys face, address, SSN and list of greatest fears by now.

How many kids in Missouri are allowed to tweet from their iPhone during class?

Not buying it

(Turd in a punch bowl )
You were that kid who told everyone Santa wasn't real when you were like 6, huh?
 

FungosWithJimy

Member
SoSH Member
May 6, 2004
1,940
Southington, CT
Oh I think his identity will be known soon, if he is being truthful. I just wonder what his "source" thinks of all this. He doesn't seem fearful of losing him/her.
 

burstnbloom

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 12, 2005
1,771
ND,  there is a huge chance that you're right, but its a fun story to root for and it really seems like his info is legit.  He has been identified in "real life" though and there are articles linking his picture.  
 

NDame616

will bailey
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2006
1,764
Yea it's fun to follow and see these reporters get all hot and bothered, but I heard that part and was like "ok, hold on..."
 
and he said his teacher lets him do this. He's a freshman in HS, not 4th grade. He probably has 6 or 7 teachers. So, all of them are in on this?
 
(and I waited until the kids were 7 to tell them Santa wasn't real)
 

drtooth

2:30
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Feb 23, 2004
11,167
Someone's Molars
Whoever his source is, it's a good one.  He nailed everything from the Stanton contract to the Sox signings.  I wonder if his source is the MLB offices.
 

joe dokes

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
13,530
FungosWithJimy said:
The most fun part is how the mainstream writers are basically ignoring his existence and crediting each other with breaking news that Jake broke.
 
They will work harder to "get to the bottom of this" than they ever did on anything they were supposed to cover.
 

mauidano

Mai Tais for everyone!
SoSH Member
Aug 21, 2006
27,994
Maui
Jake is gonna be The Big Man On Campus come Monday morning. Senior girls at school are gonna wanna piece of him.
 

j-man

Member
Dec 19, 2012
1,475
Arkansas
good for him  when i was 14   i was too busy with school girls to care about baseball rumours  
 
i had a teacher when i was about 15 that just moved to arkansas from maryland  she loves boston sports   she was kinda of hot for a middle aged women but boy if u caught her in a bad mood she was a very good screamer she took no bs   i was in her class for about 3 hours a day for 2 years   she kinda remind me of belichick i was her favorite student           but she still would holler at me like everyone else    
 

SoxLegacy

lurker
Oct 30, 2008
629
Maryland
As to the question about being on his phone in class/during school, it's become pretty much the norm. I teach in Maryland, and the system I work in has a BYOD policy that allows the kids to be on their devices during non-instructional time as well as at the direction/discretion of the teacher. If kids in my class are working on vocabulary and ask to make flash cards/study aids on their phones, I can allow them to do so, trusting them to use the phones as appropriate. Whether they do so or not is really in their hands. Can I check each phone and see what the user is doing in a class of 30 kids? Not effectively. And there really is no discipline policy if a student is using a device inappropriately--they get a discipline referral for insubordination but they keep the phone. After the number of referrals reach a magic number, they meet with an admin. It's pretty much a mess, and I am sorry to detract from intent of this thread, which is almost equal in entertainment value as seeing the Sox sign Panda and Hanley.
 

Hoplite

lurker
Oct 26, 2013
1,116
So just to refresh, this kid wasn't the first to report the Hanley or Sandoval signings, nor did he get the financials correct, but he's national attention for re-tweeting what other people said because it's a fun story. That about summarize?
 

Jake Peavy's Demons

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 13, 2013
91
Holy wow. Reading through that ask.fm page was very interesting. Someone asked if Moncada was the future SS of the Sox & he said yes. If Xander was traded for Hamels WITH a Lester signing we're looking at an exciting team in a couple years. Not quite sure how I'd feel about Xander being gone though. Not to mention Céspedes for Ross or Shark or something. That being said, something tells me all of that happening is very unlikely.
 

FungosWithJimy

Member
SoSH Member
May 6, 2004
1,940
Southington, CT
Hoplite said:
So just to refresh, this kid wasn't the first to report the Hanley or Sandoval signings, nor did he get the financials correct, but he's national attention for re-tweeting what other people said because it's a fun story. That about summarize?
I thought he was first on at least one of them.  No?
 

JBJ_HOF

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 5, 2014
319
FungosWithJimy said:
I thought he was first on at least one of them.  No?
 
He 'confirmed' that Sandoval signed, with the wrong dollar figure, when every major reporter was saying Sandoval was 99% percent heading to Boston.
 

Hoplite

lurker
Oct 26, 2013
1,116
FungosWithJimy said:
I thought he was first on at least one of them.  No?
 
Wesley posted the Hanley to Boston rumor a few minutes after Christopher Meola (a real reporter) tweeted it. Wesley then tweeted the incorrect financials on the Hanley deal and when Hanley actually signed, he made another tweet congratulating himself on reporting the news before anyone else. Christopher Meola then called him out for not being the first person to break the Hanley news.
 
https://twitter.com/DfineNrmLC/status/536786919649468416
 

kieckeredinthehead

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 26, 2006
8,167
Jake Peavy's Demons said:
Holy wow. Reading through that ask.fm page was very interesting. Someone asked if Moncada was the future SS of the Sox & he said yes. If Xander was traded for Hamels WITH a Lester signing we're looking at an exciting team in a couple years. Not quite sure how I'd feel about Xander being gone though. Not to mention Céspedes for Ross or Shark or something. That being said, something tells me all of that happening is very unlikely.
 
The ask.fm is all 100% bullshit. It reads like a magic 8 ball. He's 14. He claims not to have known who John Henry is. If he has a source, the source is giving him specific information at the right time, not a 500 page volume of the Red Sox philosophy. Either the guy answering those questions is Ben Cherington, or the kid has Gammons disease and can't distinguish what is actually true from what he thinks is true. 
 

Hoplite

lurker
Oct 26, 2013
1,116
kieckeredinthehead said:
 
The ask.fm is all 100% bullshit. It reads like a magic 8 ball. He's 14. He claims not to have known who John Henry is. If he has a source, the source is giving him specific information at the right time, not a 500 page volume of the Red Sox philosophy. Either the guy answering those questions is Ben Cherington, or the kid has Gammons disease and can't distinguish what is actually true from what he thinks is true. 
 
Exactly. I can't believe people are actually taking this guy seriously. He's yet to be the first person to report a single correct news story.
 

E5 Yaz

Transcends message boarding
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
62,321
Oregon
I posted this today in the Lester thread, when we went down that rabbit hole there. It's the sourcing statement from MLBTR (which somehow starts to look better in all this) about the Sandoval and Hanley deals:
 
Here's how MLBTR credits the Sandoval and Ramirez news:
 
Hanley:
Oscar Prieto Rojas reported direct confirmation of the signing (Twitter links). CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported today that a deal was complete (Twitter link). Jake Wesley tweeted yesterday that Sandoval and the Sox had reached agreement.
The contract breakdown comes from Alex Speier of WEEI.com, on Twitter. Heyman reported the final guaranteed figure, in a tweet. Manolo Hernandez Douen was first to report that the deal included a sixth-year option (via Twitter).
Panda:
Christopher Meola first reported that Ramirez would sign with Boston (Twitter link), and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweeted the terms of the deal. The year-to-year breakdown was first reported by WEEI.com’s Alex Speier (Twitter link).
 

Hoplite

lurker
Oct 26, 2013
1,116
kieckeredinthehead said:
 
The ask.fm is all 100% bullshit. It reads like a magic 8 ball. He's 14. He claims not to have known who John Henry is. If he has a source, the source is giving him specific information at the right time, not a 500 page volume of the Red Sox philosophy. Either the guy answering those questions is Ben Cherington, or the kid has Gammons disease and can't distinguish what is actually true from what he thinks is true. 
 
Yeah, he goes from not knowing who John Henry is to knowing the Red Sox longterm plans regarding international prospects? Are we to believe he asked his source all of these questions ahead of time or that his source was willing to sit down with him and help him answer all of the questions?
 

FungosWithJimy

Member
SoSH Member
May 6, 2004
1,940
Southington, CT
If Twitter times are to be believed, he DID scoop the Sandoval story....which I suppose could have been a guess based on popular opinion.  But MLBTR did credit him.
 
Nov 30, 2006
156
NY/NJ
"If Twitter times are to be believed, he DID scoop the Sandoval story"
 
Wait, the Sandoval story? I thought he is claiming to be the guy who got the Hanley scoop? My head hurts.
 

JBJ_HOF

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 5, 2014
319
Comebacker to Foulke said:
Unless he's deleting tweets, I did not see him claim both.
 
He's been deleting tweets when people call him out on things since the Stanton story.
 

InsideTheParker

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
26,155
Pioneer Valley
Those of you who are intrigued by this story ought to read the novel, "To Rise Again at a Decent Hour," by Joshua Ferris, about a NYC dentist/obsessed Red Sox fan who has his identity stolen as a poster on a site like Sosh. I don't mean to suggest that it's like the Wesley mystery, only that it deals with the weirdnesses wrought by the internet.
 

Monbo Jumbo

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 5, 2003
24,164
the other Duluth
InsideTheParker said:
Those of you who are intrigued by this story ought to read the novel, "To Rise Again at a Decent Hour," by Joshua Ferris, about a NYC dentist/obsessed Red Sox fan who has his identity stolen as a poster on a site like Sosh. I don't mean to suggest that it's like the Wesley mystery, only that it deals with the weirdnesses wrought by the internet.
 
"the forlorn guitar
The human skull; and from the local Star
A curio: Red Sox Beat Yanks 5-4
On Chapman's Homer, thumbtacked to the door"
 
 
Vladimir Nabokov - Pale Fire
 

JBJ_HOF

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 5, 2014
319
Chris Meola breaks the Stanton news and sends out tweets to every single major reporter, like 50 of them, trying to get their attention. Jake sees these as he monitors twitter trying to break baseball news. He see this and asks the guy “hey do you have this info too,” which is meaningless to do, because Meola IS the source. News breaks and they both take credit. Heyman decides to give Jake credit for some reason. Ok, a touch of public credibility.
 
Same thing plays out with Hanley. As soon as Meola breaks the news, Jake immediately reports the same thing. I wonder why? It happens, all of a sudden this kid starts seeming legit.
 
The night that Sandoval signed, all reports were that the three teams were at the same price point, probably a little over 95 million. When the reports out of California say that it seems the Red Sox are in the lead, Jake tweets that it’s a done deal, adding 102 million, which was wrong, but no one cares about as long as it was in the neighborhood.
 
There has been a thousand Cespedes to the Reds rumors today. As soon as it’s shot down by legitimate people, it’s retracted by Jake in a big show.
 
Seems legit.
 

Hoplite

lurker
Oct 26, 2013
1,116
JBJ_HOF said:
Chris Meola breaks the Stanton news and sends out tweets to every single major reporter, like 50 of them, trying to get their attention. Jake sees these as he monitors twitter trying to break baseball news. He see this and asks the guy “hey do you have this info too,” which is meaningless to do, because Meola IS the source. News breaks and they both take credit. Heyman decides to give Jake credit for some reason. Ok, a touch of public credibility.
 
Same thing plays out with Hanley. As soon as Meola breaks the news, Jake immediately reports the same thing. I wonder why? It happens, all of a sudden this kid starts seeming legit.
 
The night that Sandoval signed, all reports were that the three teams were at the same price point, probably a little over 95 million. When the reports out of California say that it seems the Red Sox are in the lead, Jake tweets that it’s a done deal, adding 102 million, which was wrong, but no one cares about as long as it was in the neighborhood.
 
There has been a thousand Cespedes to the Reds rumors today. As soon as it’s shot down by legitimate people, it’s retracted by Jake in a big show.
 
Seems legit.
 
Yup, seems like a pretty straight forward scam. Anyone smarter than me care to explain why this kid is getting so much coverage despite him breaking no new or correct news?