Sox in on Granderson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomRicardo

rusty cohlebone
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Feb 6, 2006
19,641
Row 14
It looks like Cafardo finishing however that is what lead to Bobby V so...
 

absintheofmalaise

too many flowers
Dope
SoSH Member
Mar 16, 2005
12,974
The gran facenda
Otis Foster said:
 
 
Vague is right - quite an inductive leap. (Some teams bidding + the RS need to hedge against Ellsbury leaving.)
 
No shit. How one makes the leap that the Sox might be in on Granderson from some random thought that Cafardo tweets about how he might be good protection is just a bit of a stretch. 
 

TheYaz67

Member
SoSH Member
May 21, 2004
4,712
Justia Omnibus
Does every vague rumor/thing (albeit potentially big) need its own thread?  Don't we have a thread for that already?  Or do we specifically need one for Granderson in case this becomes real - I think we have had some Granderson discussion in the Ellsbury one - that seems to have become to catch-all to discuss potential OF options beyond Ellsbury....
 

Corsi

isn't shy about blowing his wad early
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 3, 2010
12,955
Boston, MA
absintheofmalaise said:
No shit. How one makes the leap that the Sox might be in on Granderson from some random thought that Cafardo tweets about how he might be good protection is just a bit of a stretch. 
 
I don't really think it's really much of a leap.  The tweet from Cafardo is obviously quite vague, which is why I titled the thread "Sox in on Granderson?"  I figure regardless of whether there's anything of substance to Cafardo's tweet, it's worth isolating the Granderson discussion.
 

DennyDoyle'sBoil

Found no thrill on Blueberry Hill
SoSH Member
Sep 9, 2008
27,455
AZ
I've brought up Granderson a couple of times in other threads, and it's gone nowhere, so the silent sense of the board seems to be "no way."  Seems to me that it would make a whole lot more sense than trading for Kemp, for example, if he can be had in the 3/45 range. It seems to me it would look an awful lot like the Victorino signing -- buy a decent player on the bad side of 30 following an pre-FA injury year that reduces his value.
 
The downside, though, is that he costs a draft pick, which the Sox seem to be fairly jealously guarding. 
 

geoduck no quahog

not particularly consistent
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Nov 8, 2002
11,514
Seattle, WA
TheYaz67 said:
Does every vague rumor/thing (albeit potentially big) need its own thread?  Don't we have a thread for that already?  Or do we specifically need one for Granderson in case this becomes real - I think we have had some Granderson discussion in the Ellsbury one - that seems to have become to catch-all to discuss potential OF options beyond Ellsbury....
 Have you read the "Fenway Rumors" thread lately?
 
Maybe we need a "Fenway Rumors, Rumors" thread.
 

chawson

Member
Aug 1, 2006
1,634
I don't want either of them, but it's worth noting that STEAMER projects Granderson for a .233/.326/.442 line (112 wRC+) next year, and recently non-tendered Garrett Jones for a .251/.312/.445 (111 wRC+).
 

Alcohol&Overcalls

Member
SoSH Member
chawson said:
I don't want either of them, but it's worth noting that STEAMER projects Granderson for a .233/.326/.442 line (112 wRC+) next year, and recently non-tendered Garrett Jones for a .251/.312/.445 (111 wRC+).
 
It's also worth noting one is probably an average corner OFer (and has been somewhat above average in the past), and the other is fairly below average - I don't know if the half-win or so that the eyeball test puts Jones below Granderson is worth the respective price difference, but it needs to be included (as well as, potentially, baserunning effects).
 

chawson

Member
Aug 1, 2006
1,634
Sure. But Jones can play a passable first base, so to me that's a wash.
 
And Granderson's time in the corners is limited. In 2013 he had 185 innings in left or right field, about ten games each. He was terrible in left and exceptional in right, the latter probably having a lot to do with Toilet dimensions. Before that he hadn't played more than a game in either since 2005.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.