heart is two sizes two small
- Sep 20, 2005
I have absolutely no idea who the hot names are. Theo wouldn't come back, would he?
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-gm-candidates-five-names-to-know-as-teams-start-making-front-office-changes/The Braves have become a general manager factory as well, graduating both Perry Minasian and Dana Brown in recent offseasons as owners attempt to emulate Atlanta's model. Sestanovich could be the next in line to get his own club. He's an Ivy League product who played collegiately and who has had a hand in Atlanta's player development machine. Another deep postseason run by the Braves this fall would surely boost his stock.
I mentioned this in the other thread, but Sestanovich is my 1st choice. Braves Assistant GM with a player development background & was a pitcher for Harvard.View: https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/1702370090841239827
A few potential Red Sox candidates off the top of my head: James Click, Sig Mejdal (Orioles), Sam Fuld (Phillies), James Harris (Guardians), Ben Sestanovich (Braves).
Hazen is the Executive Vice President & GM. So not a promotion I don't think.I thought about Josh Byrnes as well. Also what about Hazen? CBO would be a promotion from his GM role in Az.
I don't think so, but I'm feeling hopeful today, so I'll say there is a 0.05% chance this happens and hope for it until it doesn't. (There is a 99.95% chance it's something else, in my opinion).
I hear this a lot for a variety of roles…. Why?Fuld’s NE roots probably adds a little to his candidacy.
We need this to support our belief that it could be one of us some day. Don't Grinch it up! We need this!!I hear this a lot for a variety of roles…. Why?
I can see why he might want the job more, but not why the Red Sox would want him more.
I doubt they are considering a new GM hire much of a flight risk and I don’t see any benefit to hiring a candidate who has more friends/family around.
It’s not like college recruiting where local connections might matter.
I think that animals have taken over your keyboard today.I was in support of Bloom at the start and have orioles wrong. I will make no such proclamations about whoever is next; I just would like someone to understand what the Red Sox fan and baseball market is all about and to understand that this isn’t a small-market team.
Probably too early to say what kind of overhaul there might be. While Bloom is gone immediately, they still need to finish the season so they can't have everyone go now. We'll get a better idea after the season ends how wholesale the changes will be.Anyone concerned that with this new Sox job, nearly the entire operation is still in place? I don't get a sense that anyone is talking radical overhaul (nor am i), but what exactly is this job? I'm used to seeing somebody get a job and then filling the staff with a lot of their own people. Doesn't look like that here, and I wonder if that will matter to candidates.
Interestingly I was thinking Mike Fast, the OTHER top guy from the Braves front office.I mentioned this in the other thread, but Sestanovich is my 1st choice. Braves Assistant GM with a player development background & was a pitcher for Harvard.
Antonetti is interesting. Cleveland has had a disastrous season due to catastrophic pitching injuries, an offense that turned offensive this last offseason and Tito is retiring in 2 weeks.I could imagine Thad Levine, who has relationships with current and former Sox execs, pretty easily being in the mix....he and Hazen are likely more 'known' than many of the truly external candidates.
I also wouldn't rule out Chris Antonetti, New England native, being willing to explore this one even though he has passed on gigs in the past.
He would probably be fine, too.Interestingly I was thinking Mike Fast, the OTHER top guy from the Braves front office.
I want someone who has shown how to spend, and win, in a big market. Consistently. Given the failed Tampa-north experiment with Bloom, I am not excited about the idea of a guy from Oakland or Cleveland.
For sure, that was great.Theo was one of us.
And grew up walking distance to the Park and was an avid fan himself.
Someone like that(could be from a further suburb lol) would be great
Yeah, maybe it's that I've never lived in New England, but that stuff has never mattered to me. I want whoever is running the Red Sox to make dispassionate decisions. In short, don't do what a fan would.For sure, that was great.
And if another great candidate is available, it would be cool if he’s from close to Boston also.
But I hope ownership isn’t actually giving that any weight, just hire the best person.
(Though perhaps I would make an exception if someone’s background will land them Ohtani and/or Yamamoto )
What is it that appeals to you about Preller? The Padres have had 2 winning seasons in their last 5 (one of them was the 2020 pandemic year). It seems like what he's mostly done is give out huge contracts to known entities.If they don't go Cora, here's a list of sitting GM's I'd like them to go after.
Make AJ Preller say no.
Yes.Is this when people start getting attached to a candidate, then spend the next few years ripping who got hired because Henry didn't hire their guy?
I'm just kidding, but it's funny how that dynamic does play out. I'm ambivalent. I just hope we hire someone who can field an ALCS-contending team next season.
Thank you. Preller is a lot of action without a lot of results. This is his ninth full season at the helm in San Diego and they've had just two seasons above .500 (2020 and 2022). He's a deal-maker for sure. Hasn't really gotten the franchise anywhere.If they hire Preller, Mayer and others can pack their bags. Holy hell, no.
I learned this lesson way back during the Jimy Williams era. I thought he was a terrible manager, but he won 92 and 94 games and made the ALCS. Obviously he had less success his final 2 seasons, but was still way over .500 (Alex Cora looks longingly at those records). And when the Sox brought on Kerrigan to replace him I was thrilled... only to see Kerrigan completely suck. I learned that I know nothing, and getting worked up over who gets hired is a waste of energy. If they're good, then great. If they stink, they'll get canned.Yes.
In all seriousness though, I agree with your point about being rather "ambivalent", or more admitting that I have no idea. I was ambivalent about Theo's promotion when he was hired and he ends up arguably the greatest executive in modern baseball history. I really wanted a "continuation" of his line and liked the Cherington hire. I didn't like the Dombrowski hiring and all he did was return a World Series, almost all playoff seasons, but actually had a pretty decent farm system when it was all said and done with guys like Bello, Houck, Crawford, Casas, Rafaela and Duran added during his tenure. I was thrilled with the Bloom hiring when it was made, and was ready for him to be gone following the 2022 trade deadline.
That said, the track record of FSG has been a World Series title within 2 seasons of the hiring of a new GM in 3 of the 4 hires they've made. I'm hoping that it becomes 4 of 5, obviously.