Remy returning to the booth

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
12,955
37
Redkluzu said:
In today's Globe, there's an editorial calling for Jerry to not return to the booth with the headline

"Jerry Remy should think of fans, delay return to TV booth"
 
The gist:

 
I, for one, have enjoyed Jerry and Don in the booth, but the Globe may actually be exacerbating the antagonism -- and subtly, mine as well. This, of course, is not new. The media's take is powerful, and it's not like his son didn't deserve to be taken apart for his behavior, including "19 arrests, while his father paid for his defense and upkeep, believing that out-patient counseling would curb his demons or perhaps already had." And after the WEEI intervew, it was clear to me that defending his son was Jerry's motive.
 
I did post in another thread that I wondered about the timing of all the coverage, a bit conveniently timed for the opening of the season-- even if it takes weeks and months to get interviews, fact check etc. Each new piece of information seems to add to the ball that will roll Jerry downhill. Even if he says he's going to Baltimore, I'm wondering if Jerry (or NESN) will ultimately cave to the pressure of the media even if the public is 50-50 on his return to the booth.
Im sorry but this ship has sailed. Henry backs him, Remy isn't quitting so here we are. Unless there is a bombshell that comes out in the form of text messages from Jerry or something along those lines threatening a victim he's staying.
 

Redkluzu

tortures mice
SoSH Member
Dec 10, 2007
2,146
Bostonish...see Wiki for "ish"
NortheasternPJ said:
Im sorry but this ship has sailed. Henry backs him, Remy isn't quitting so here we are. Unless there is a bombshell that comes out in the form of text messages from Jerry or something along those lines threatening a victim he's staying.
 
I hope you're right because I would hate to see continued attempts to try and get him to step down. But as Joe said, at least at the beginning of the season, when Jerry is on the road,  "...columnists and radio idiots in a majority of those places might write & talk about him."
 
Maybe we will just watch baseball and Jerry's life will fade into the background or maybe he'll continue be a reminder of his son's atrocities. I, for one, am actually hoping for the former.
 

Average Reds

Dope
Staff member
Dope
V&N Mod
SoSH Member
Sep 24, 2007
24,794
57
Southwestern CT
Redkluzu said:
In today's Globe, there's an editorial calling for Jerry to not return to the booth with the headline
"Jerry Remy should think of fans, delay return to TV booth"
 
The gist:
 
I, for one, have enjoyed Jerry and Don in the booth, but the Globe may actually be exacerbating the antagonism -- and subtly, mine as well. This, of course, is not new. The media's take is powerful, and it's not like his son didn't deserve to be taken apart for his behavior, including "19 arrests, while his father paid for his defense and upkeep, believing that out-patient counseling would curb his demons — or perhaps already had." And after the WEEI intervew, it was clear to me that defending his son was Jerry's motive.
 
I did post in another thread that I wondered about the timing of all the coverage, a bit conveniently timed for the opening of the season-- even if it takes weeks and months to get interviews, fact check etc. Each new piece of information seems to add to the ball that will roll Jerry downhill. Even if he says he's going to Baltimore, I'm wondering if Jerry (or NESN) will ultimately cave to the pressure of the media even if the public is 50-50 on his return to the booth.
 
You have the dynamic exactly backwards. 
 
If the public (and by the public I mean the public that is interested in watching Red Sox games) is 50-50 on Jerry as an announcer, that's an incredibly bad number.  And in that sense, the media is not creating pressure for Jerry to leave, they are simply reflecting the mood of the public.
 
Beyond this, the notion that the timing of the articles is evidence that the Globe is part of a conspiracy to remove Jerry is simply laughable.  If John Henry wants Remy gone, he simply fires him.  He doesn't use the Globe (an unprofitable portion of his investment portfolio) to damage the Red Sox and NESN (very profitably elements in his investment portfolio) just to give him cover.  This would be monumentally stupid from a financial sense and one thing John Henry is not is stupid about his investments.  It also massively overstates the importance of Jerry Remy.
 

Harry Hooper

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 4, 2002
24,934
The Globe's timing may be nothing more complex than publishing right before the scheduled custody hearings this past week, when the whole case was going to be in the news again.
 

Rovin Romine

Johnny Rico
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
9,269
Miami (oh, Miami!)
Another point in the posts on Public Defenders - Not many people realize this, but many PD offices recruit at top tier law schools.  In addition to the intrinsic appeal of "the work," the practical experience is a large draw.  Usually it's difficult for a recent law school grad to get practical courtroom experience; even if you land a good job in the private sector, it can be literally years before you speak to a client directly or appear in a courtroom or take a deposition. Toss in the recession and PD offices become very sought after landing spots.  (The salaries are often poor, but many states, law schools, and the federal government offer various loan repayment programs for public service attorneys.  Also, the benefits package is usually good.) 
 
When I was at the PDs, I worked with (directly supervised by or placed in the same courtroom with) multiple top tier law school graduates - Yale, UVA, Georgetown, Columbia. None of these attorneys were slouches.  And lest we perpetuate another fallacy, many of the local law school graduates were just as zealous and effective as those who had gone to schools with better pedigrees.  One of the best trial attorneys I know is a St. Thomas grad. 
 
The real problem at PD offices is not recruiting excellent attorneys but retaining them.  After a certain point (usually when the kids start to arrive) the long hours and low salary is hard to sustain.  It's tough not to "go private" when you realize that your courtroom experience is going to outweigh just about any interviewers.  
 
***
Despite all this the reputation of the incompetent public defender ("Public Pretender") continues - and yes, there are some incompetent ones out there.  I think most of the reputation comes from people who don't understand the system and who are looking for someone to blame for whatever setbacks life has handed them.  There's an awful lot of bullshit that floats around in the jails and prisons. It does make you laugh sometimes though.  Once, after a not-guilty verdict, my client turned to me and (sincerely) said, "Hey, you're pretty good at this.  You should go to law school and become a lawyer."  
 

allstonite

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 27, 2010
1,420
Setting aside the legal and moral issues for a minute, is anyone else surprised that NESN doesn't seem to have a set succession plan for Remy? Even before this tragedy where it wasn't confirmed he was coming back this season until last week and he still may miss time due to hearings, he's had health problems over the last few seasons causing him to miss significant time.

I just wish they had someone maybe in the studio who could step in on a more permanent basis if needed rather than subjecting us to Bradford (who I don't mind in doses), Abraham or Cafardo. The obvious choice would be Eck but as has been stated he doesn't really want it
 

allstonite

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 27, 2010
1,420
I'm not saying he's irreplaceable or anything close to that. I'm not a fan (though he's far from the worst in the league.) I just think nobody would be surprised if he were to miss a west coast trip for one reason or another. It would be better if there were someone who they were grooming who could step in on a longer term basis instead of them scrambling and we get a rotating cast of writers or, if we're lucky, Derek Lowe or Pedro.
 

soxfan121

JAG
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2002
23,043
Reverend said:
I listened to Alex Speier do color on the radio broadcast today. I had never heard Speier before and I can honestly say I had never realized just how good color commentary can actually be.
 
So true. I learned a little bit about every single guy who got into the game; skills, deficiencies, development goals, potential. Speier really knows his stuff and Joe does SUCH a good job allowing the color guy to fill in the spaces. 
 
One of the more delightful afternoons of driving in the rain I've ever had.
 

Byrdbrain

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
8,283
Reverend said:
I listened to Alex Speier do color on the radio broadcast today. I had never heard Speier before and I can honestly say I had never realized just how good color commentary can actually be.
Speier is probably my favorite local baseball guy but he has no shot on TV. He is way too smart and geeky looking to be on TV.
 

Rovin Romine

Johnny Rico
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
9,269
Miami (oh, Miami!)
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/03/26/the-legacy-jennifer-martel/nrJ4pymIOnO4bHZ58tvbGI/story.html

And cue the proposed changes to the law driven by outrage. . .

Many of these don't sound bad - especially the 15 days paid leave, more beds in shelters, intervention teams, and the education initiative. Doubt they'll pass though. They'll cost money to implement.

The strangulation law probably will though since it costs no money and it will give the false appearance that it's doing something. We have one in FL and it does not do much good. Very hard to prosecute since it's usually still a he said she said situation. Plus you can already just charge battery or ag bat or attempted murder already as the circumstances allow (meaning if you have witnesses or corroborating injuries). I'd be willing to change my opinion if there's data to the contrary, but from what I've seen this is pretty pointless.

Ditto the increased penalties and court shifting for looking lie it's doing something. Increasing penalties won't deal with any of the root problems, and the author (and legislature is laboring under the general deterance theory).

I have no idea what she means by saying you can pay the victim and have the charges dropped. That sounds completely wrong. Does anyone know what she's talking about?
 

singaporesoxfan

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 21, 2004
7,981
41
Washington, DC
www.singaporesoxfan.com
I'm in favour of increased punishments for domestic abusers, even if they have zero effect on the root causes of domestic violence. I don't see anything in the article that suggests that these increased punishments specifically are meant to deter abusers.

It looks like there's parts of the proposed law that deal with root causes (the parts you say will won't pass because they cost money) and parts that are meant to address the fact that abusers are seen to not be punished severely enough right now (harsher punishments, education of judges). That seems like a fair mix.
 

Reverend

for king and country
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
singaporesoxfan said:
I'm in favour of increased punishments for domestic abusers, even if they have zero effect on the root causes of domestic violence. I don't see anything in the article that suggests that these increased punishments specifically are meant to deter abusers.

It looks like there's parts of the proposed law that deal with root causes (the parts you say will won't pass because they cost money) and parts that are meant to address the fact that abusers are seen to not be punished severely enough right now (harsher punishments, education of judges). That seems like a fair mix.
 
I think RR wasn't fully clear, largely because he knows the system so well.
 
His point is that increasing the punishments on the books has at best a tenuous relationship with the punishment actually received. This is classic legislator crap--you make a show of favoring increased punishment, but you aren't actually increasing punishment.
 
I mean, just look at the case at hand. Increased punishment on the books wouldn't send Remy away in any of those cases where the charges got dropped, yeah? So if we really want there to be increased actual real world consequences for perpetrators of domestic violence and violence against women, we need to delve into why our criminal justice system is so poorly suited for dealing with a crime that is actually quite common, and that is a much more complex set of problems.
 
It's not intuitive, but increased victim support is probably the easiest and most obvious thing that would bring about an increase in punishment simply through an increase in pressing charges. We would still have to reverse the enormous pressure of a culture that often advises women there's no point in going through the process because it's painful and their going to lose anyway... which is difficult because that happens to be true. The unfortunately unspoken truth there, though, is that from my experience and in talking to others knowledgable in the field, it's still worth it.
 

terrisus

formerly: imgran
SoSH Member
allstonite said:
Setting aside the legal and moral issues for a minute, is anyone else surprised that NESN doesn't seem to have a set succession plan for Remy? Even before this tragedy where it wasn't confirmed he was coming back this season until last week and he still may miss time due to hearings, he's had health problems over the last few seasons causing him to miss significant time.

I just wish they had someone maybe in the studio who could step in on a more permanent basis if needed rather than subjecting us to Bradford (who I don't mind in doses), Abraham or Cafardo. The obvious choice would be Eck but as has been stated he doesn't really want it
 
Maybe Orsillo can just do the Vin Scully thing, and announce games by himself.
 

joyofsox

empty, bleak
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
7,481
55
Vancouver Island
joyofsox.blogspot.com
The funny thing is that when he has worked alone during games, Don is a very different (and surprisingly good) announcer. The one game I heard a few years ago, I think he did the first two or three innings solo. As I recall, he offered his usual play-by-play and added some fairly deft analysis. It was stuff he NEVER does when he is with Jerry. And I was shocked to hear him stay away from his press notes because there simply wasn't time.
 

twibnotes

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 16, 2005
17,798
How about a steel cage match between Jared Remy and Aaron Hernandez. Pay per view proceeds would be used to cover the prosecution and incarceration costs typically borne by the taxpayers.
 

Andy Merchant

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 2, 2010
397
twibnotes said:
How about a steel cage match between Jared Remy and Aaron Hernandez. Pay per view proceeds would be used to cover the prosecution and incarceration costs typically borne by the taxpayers.
A Thunderdome match betwen the two would make the world a better place IMO, but anyone who messes with a naturally big and strong dude like Hernandez in jail is an idiot. On the other hand, Remy will end up being a dumpy 5'7" 150 lbs after a few months off of the juice.
 

twibnotes

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 16, 2005
17,798
Andy Merchant said:
A Thunderdome match betwen the two would make the world a better place IMO, but anyone who messes with a naturally big and strong dude like Hernandez in jail is an idiot. On the other hand, Remy will end up being a dumpy 5'7" 150 lbs after a few months off of the juice.
I'd be fine with that. Hernandez is the lesser of two extreme evils in my view.
 

Dummy Hoy

Angry Pissbum
SoSH Member
Jul 22, 2006
6,027
42
Falmouth
burlinwhite.wordpress.com
dirtynine said:
The victims of the alleged double murder in the South End were, by the accounts I've read, not low-lifes.
 
I'm not disagreeing because I don't really know, but you can't go on what the relatives say.
 
I had a student get killed years ago and all you heard after was his family talking about how he was a sweet and innocent boy who was all about church and family. Kid was a trouble starting asshole who almost certainly had gang ties. Again- no idea about the guys in the Hernandez case, but going by the family accounts after a murder is not necessarily going to get you the truth.
 

Reverend

for king and country
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
We were throwing a party in college the night the news came out that Princess Di had died. It was a big party, using one of the ballrooms of an old fraternity house that had been converted to dorms, and during set-up someone had flipped on the tv in the back corner of the room and the news of the event was being covered pretty steadily. The keg, on the other hand, was near the front entrance where people came in, so that end was more crowded as people showed up, got beers and then gradually filtered back towards the tv.
 
Anyway, one of my lunatic roommates--now a theoretical physicist for those who know what that entails personality-wise--would run up to  people he knew and in a semi-crazed voice say, "Dude, dude... Dude! You're not going to believe this... Princess Di's chauffeur died!!" Obviously, people pretty much blew him off--he was well known to be a weird guy--a good guy and well liked, but weird.
 
So anyway, after saying, "Pffft! Who cares?" and rolling their eyes or whatever, said as yet unrealized victims would make their way further back... only to start hearing the chatter of people talking about it. And then they'd go, "Oh my God!! Priscess Di di--"...and then they'd suddenly realized our asshole friend had pranked them into implicitly creating a hierarchy of human life.
 
I ended up consoling many a good liberal soul that night telling them, yeah, he bagged a lot of people with that prank. The head of Amnesty International and Free Tibet was particularly crestfallen and disappointed in himself.
 

Mo's OBP

lurker
Jul 15, 2005
108
49
Weymouth
Reverend said:
We were throwing a party in college the night the news came out that Princess Di had died. It was a big party, using one of the ballrooms of an old fraternity house that had been converted to dorms, and during set-up someone had flipped on the tv in the back corner of the room and the news of the event was being covered pretty steadily. The keg, on the other hand, was near the front entrance where people came in, so that end was more crowded as people showed up, got beers and then gradually filtered back towards the tv.
 
Anyway, one of my lunatic roommates--now a theoretical physicist for those who know what that entails personality-wise--would run up to  people he knew and in a semi-crazed voice say, "Dude, dude... Dude! You're not going to believe this... Princess Di's chauffeur died!!" Obviously, people pretty much blew him off--he was well known to be a weird guy--a good guy and well liked, but weird.
 
So anyway, after saying, "Pffft! Who cares?" and rolling their eyes or whatever, said as yet unrealized victims would make their way further back... only to start hearing the chatter of people talking about it. And then they'd go, "Oh my God!! Priscess Di di--"...and then they'd suddenly realized our asshole friend had pranked them into implicitly creating a hierarchy of human life.
 
I ended up consoling many a good liberal soul that night telling them, yeah, he bagged a lot of people with that prank. The head of Amnesty International and Free Tibet was particularly crestfallen and disappointed in himself.
Nice story.
 
"Consoling many a good liberal soul..."  
 
The "head" you speak of has quite a resume....of course it is a fictional creation.
 

Reverend

for king and country
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Mo's OBP said:
Nice story.
 
"Consoling many a good liberal soul..."  
 
The "head" you speak of has quite a resume....of course it is a fictional creation.
 
I thought it went without saying that I meant the college chapters of each organization--I had to read your post three times to figure out what your gripe was.
 
You are not clever. Now go away.
 

Andy Merchant

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 2, 2010
397
I love how the letter to Margery Eagan is apparently signed "Respectfully, Jared Remy". I am somewhat bothered by the fact that someone with those mad spelling skilz has better penmanship than I do though.
 

FelixMantilla

reincarnated mr hate
SoSH Member
Jan 30, 2001
10,738
64
Foxboro, MA
Visit site
Reading comprehension folks:
 


The letter was written on legal-sized paper and contains at least 55 spelling errors. It was dictated by Remy to a fellow inmate who identified himself as his publisher, “BIG E.” Middlesex Sheriff Peter Koutoujian’s office confirmed the letter’s authenticity after a request from the Herald.
 

curly2

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 8, 2003
3,950
53
Visit site
barbed wire Bob said:
 
Yeah but Big E's  penmanship isn't half bad.
 
With all the money he rakes in every September in West Springfield, it's amazing he turned to a life of crime.
 

Rovin Romine

Johnny Rico
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
9,269
Miami (oh, Miami!)
Perhaps "Big E" is a big Elizabethan.  It would explain non-standard spellings like "jobe" for "job."  I also love how "Big E" is angling for some kind of payment from the Herald to provide incident reports and so on.  And the somewhat random and nutty french fry complaint.  
 
Stuff like this, you have to take with a grain of salt.  Who knows what's Remy and what's "Big E?"
 
(BTW, we call this "jail mail."  It's pretty much it's own subcategory of literature and letters.  But one you should handle with latex gloves on.)
 

The Napkin

wise ass al kaprielian
Dope
SoSH Member
Jul 13, 2002
20,617
46
right here
Rovin Romine said:
(BTW, we call this "jail mail."  It's pretty much it's own subcategory of literature and letters.  But one you should handle with latex gloves on.)
quoted for posterity
 

Rovin Romine

Johnny Rico
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
9,269
Miami (oh, Miami!)
The Napkin said:
quoted for posterity
 
I remember a female defense attorney freaking out a bit when someone pointed out to her that the inmate who was sending her letters with paper flowers pasted to them very likely didn't have access to paste.  Per se.  
 

mandro ramtinez

Well-Known Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Aug 24, 2006
1,515
Brighton, Mass.
terrisus said:
That's not really just legal terminology, per se, as it has entered common usage as well.
 
I was looking through some legal terms to find a reference for the past couple of posts though, and I was surprised at the dearth of legal terms making use of the Latin word for "with," as that would have applied rather well.
I'm not as clever as I like to think I am.
 

MuzzyField

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
5,387
52
Jacksonville, FL via Waterbury, CT
Maybe NESN can squeeze in a viewer mail segment to showcase Jared and Big E's interesting observations about life between the pop-up facts and text polls. I wonder if Big E will be helping Jared craft his Father's Day communique to Jerry.
 

WenZink

lurker
Apr 23, 2010
1,064
MuzzyField said:
Maybe NESN can squeeze in a viewer mail segment to showcase Jared and Big E's interesting observations about life between the pop-up facts and text polls. I wonder if Big E will be helping Jared craft his Father's Day communique to Jerry.
 
Or on Sundays, invite Big E to the studio with TC and Psycho... or did Willie Horton ruin weekend furlough for everyone?