Pssssssssssssst 2015 edition

flymrfreakjar

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 30, 2006
2,698
Brooklyn
MiracleOfO2704 said:
How does a team with this guy heading the rotation that also has Steven Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, and Jordan Zimmermann not run rampant on the NL?
 
Naturally, that might be the most damning piece of evidence against Matt Williams: this team has way too much talent to be .500.
 
Yeah and they only have the best hitter in baseball too...
 

jon abbey

Shanghai Warrior
Dope
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
44,770
soxhop411 said:
“@jonweisman: All-time top Game Scores (nine innings):
105 Kerry Wood 5/6/98
104 Max Scherzer 10/3/15
102 Clayton Kershaw 6/18/04”
 
Maybe 2014 for Kershaw because he certainly wasn't pitching in 2004.
 

CoRP

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 15, 2007
9,457
The Epicenter
I debated whether to go to the afternoon or night game with my sons. Since I was already marinating chicken for fajitas tonight I decided to go to the afternoon game...oh well.
 

CoRP

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 15, 2007
9,457
The Epicenter
Arguably the greatest pitched game in history. No walks...17ks...one hard hit ball all game... against a playoff team. Only thing more impressive would be doing the same thing against a line up with a DH.
 

swiftaw

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 31, 2009
1,964
CoRP said:
Arguably the greatest pitched game in history. No walks...17ks...one hard hit ball all game... against a playoff team. Only thing more impressive would be doing the same thing against a line up with a DH.
Using Bill James' game score it's the second highest ever, behind Kerry Wood's 20K 1-hitter.
 

JimBoSox9

will you be my friend?
SoSH Member
Nov 1, 2005
16,556
Mid-surburbia
To be fair to Williams, I dunno if anyone could have gotten the rest of that lineup on track in time to matter. But, to borrow a quote, "when the fall is all that's left, how one falls down matters a great deal. The mark of a durable manager is how well you steer into the skid and keep the clubhouse intact for next year. Hard to fail that test worse than Williams has.
 

B H Kim

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 24, 2003
4,684
Washington, DC
Scherzer isn't completely without blame for the Nats' collapse.  His era was 1.76 after the first no hitter in June, but was close to 4.00 between the two no hitters (over 6.00 for August and the first two starts in September).
 

loshjott

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Dec 30, 2004
7,918
Silver Spring, MD
CoRP said:
Arguably the greatest pitched game in history. No walks...17ks...one hard hit ball all game... against a playoff team. Only thing more impressive would be doing the same thing against a line up with a DH.
Not exactly a playoff lineup, however. Wright sat and Duda and Cespedes only pitch hit in the ninth.
 

Average Reds

Dope
Staff member
Dope
V&N Mod
SoSH Member
Sep 24, 2007
25,152
Southwestern CT
B H Kim said:
Scherzer isn't completely without blame for the Nats' collapse.  His era was 1.76 after the first no hitter in June, but was close to 4.00 between the two no hitters (over 6.00 for August and the first two starts in September).
He started strong, he ended strong and his overall stats met expectations. To cherry pick his worst stretch and then identify him as one of the cuprits here is ridiculous.

The Nats had a streaky team that went cold together over the summer and down the stretch. Managers prove their worth not by the brilliance of their in-game decisions but by their ability to, you know, manage the club. Williams did everything wrong in that regard and he deserves a huge part of the blame alongside the majority of players who did not perform.

Scherzer may not have been great during the Nats' rough stretch, but he's not one of the players who deserves the blame.
 

B H Kim

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 24, 2003
4,684
Washington, DC
Average Reds said:
He started strong, he ended strong and his overall stats met expectations. To cherry pick his worst stretch and then identify him as one of the cuprits here is ridiculous.

The Nats had a streaky team that went cold together over the summer and down the stretch. Managers prove their worth not by the brilliance of their in-game decisions but by their ability to, you know, manage the club. Williams did everything wrong in that regard and he deserves a huge part of the blame alongside the majority of players who did not perform.

Scherzer may not have been great during the Nats' rough stretch, but he's not one of the players who deserves the blame.
 
I'm not trying to absolve Williams of blame, but I don't think you can completely absolve Scherzer either.  He certainly wasn't the primary cause of their collapse, but he contributed to it.  I don't think it's cherry picking stats to note that he was arguably the best pitcher in the NL through the end of June and average at best for almost all of the second half.