Michael Holley's Revolving Hostatorium

Harry Hooper

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 4, 2002
25,029
Red(s)HawksFan said:
Kinda surprised they're searching for a permanent third host.  I would think rotating the third spot based on season would be the way to go.  Mannix gives them a basketball guy.  Fauria gives them a football guy.  Presumably they could bring in Jack Edwards to give them more hockey knowledge.  Merloni is in today, but any number of writers (Bradford, Speier, etc) could fill the baseball spot.  That was always where the old Big Show was strongest...when they had knowledgeable guys in to talk about the in-season sport(s).  And unlike the old Big Show, when the good guests are unavailable, D&H can carry the show as a duo so there's never a need to bring the Larry Johnsons and Butch Stearns of the world just to fill the seats.
 
Agree 100%
 

soxfan121

JAG
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2002
23,043
mabrowndog said:
 
Chad Finn
 
 
Based on his solid work when subbing for Dan Patrick, I would think Mannix is too vociferous to serve as a 3rd wheel. I think he'd ultimately drown out Holley.
 
No, I think Mannix will anchor the revamped midday show. 
 
Merloni in the 3rd chair makes too much sense for a station now truly dependent on the Red Sox. Coupled with Lou taking the O'Brien absences, there would be space to rotate in Fauria or Andy Hart. I'd expect both of them to fit somewhere on the midday with Mannix and TBD. 
 
Mutnansky is either going to take over for Adams at night or be banished to weekend/spot duty. 
 
The decision to kill flashes at WEEI really sucks. Not only did they have some promising talent in those roles but it shortens the bench. But since they are paying lots of money for dinosaurs and severance packages, it does make sense. 
 

mabrowndog

Ask me about total zone...or paint
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 23, 2003
39,676
Falmouth, MA
Red(s)HawksFan said:
Kinda surprised they're searching for a permanent third host.  I would think rotating the third spot based on season would be the way to go.  Mannix gives them a basketball guy.  Fauria gives them a football guy.  Presumably they could bring in Jack Edwards to give them more hockey knowledge.  Merloni is in today, but any number of writers (Bradford, Speier, etc) could fill the baseball spot.  That was always where the old Big Show was strongest...when they had knowledgeable guys in to talk about the in-season sport(s).  And unlike the old Big Show, when the good guests are unavailable, D&H can carry the show as a duo so there's never a need to bring the Larry Johnsons and Butch Stearns of the world just to fill the seats.
 
Yeah, this is absolutely the best approach. As you note, establishing a singular third wheel would definitely limit topic flexibility and informed discussion. It also opens up the possibility that they'd bring in seasonal 4th wheels, turning it into Big Show Part Deux only without the burly and obnoxious loudmouths of yore.
 
I do wonder if going piecemeal (paying a half-dozen or more different in-studio guests on a per-day basis) might be more expensive than hiring just one permanent co-host (even with that person getting a benefits package), and to what extent the finances might drive Entercom's decision.
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,442
Maine
mabrowndog said:
 
Yeah, this is absolutely the best approach. As you note, establishing a singular third wheel would definitely limit topic flexibility and informed discussion. It also opens up the possibility that they'd bring in seasonal 4th wheels, turning it into Big Show Part Deux only without the burly and obnoxious loudmouths of yore.
 
I do wonder if going piecemeal (paying a half-dozen or more different in-studio guests on a per-day basis) might be more expensive than hiring just one permanent co-host (even with that person getting a benefits package), and to what extent the finances might drive Entercom's decision.
 
If it's a matter of cost, they don't have to bring in someone on a daily basis.  Saving it for when it's needed would mitigate any concerns of the per-diem costs compared to the cost of a permanent co-host.
 
My hopes of them not filling the 3rd spot with useless cronies is diminishing already.  Tomorrow Dickerson is sitting in.  Sheesh.
 

Gambler7

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 11, 2003
3,287
This is the best move WEEI has made since I can remember. I love having this show back. 
 

Blacken

Robespierre in a Cape
SoSH Member
Jul 24, 2007
12,113
Red(s)HawksFan said:
My hopes of them not filling the 3rd spot with useless cronies is diminishing already.  Tomorrow Dickerson is sitting in.  Sheesh.
Useless cronies are insulted that you're lumping them in with Dickerson.
 

JimD

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 29, 2001
6,605
The tone of the manufactured outrage from both hosts about Ortiz 'cheapening' the White House visit with his selfie with Obama is not a good sign. 
 

Lose Remerswaal

Leaves after the 8th inning
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Djs don't pick the songs they play on the radio.  Why would I not be surprised to learn that Sports Talk Show hosts (especially ones with short leashes/low ratings) don't pick the topics and positions for discussion?
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,442
Maine
Only downside so far has been the general misuse of the 3rd chair.  Dickerson's been in twice already (four total shows) and the Barstool dingleberry is going to be in tomorrow.  Rather see them leave that chair empty and do a two-man show if they can't bring in a high quality, sport-specific guest.  Other than that, it's been fun having these guys back together.  First time in a while I've made a point of listening in the afternoon.
 

mabrowndog

Ask me about total zone...or paint
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 23, 2003
39,676
Falmouth, MA
Red(s)HawksFan said:
Only downside so far has been the general misuse of the 3rd chair.  Dickerson's been in twice already (four total shows) and the Barstool dingleberry is going to be in tomorrow.  Rather see them leave that chair empty and do a two-man show if they can't bring in a high quality, sport-specific guest. 
 
It's a sad reality that media executives are now slaves to the millennial demographic. Quality of discussion doesn't matter. It's all about "X people of Y gender in Z age group visit that web site, so let's cater content to them". Because that's the only plausible reason anyone from Barstool Sports is allotted any radio or TV appearances whatsoever by any broadcast outlet.
 

Harry Hooper

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 4, 2002
25,029
mabrowndog said:
 
It's a sad reality that media executives are now slaves to the millennial demographic. Quality of discussion doesn't matter. It's all about "X people of Y gender in Z age group visit that web site, so let's cater content to them". Because that's the only plausible reason anyone from Barstool Sports is allotted any radio or TV appearances whatsoever by any broadcast outlet.
 
Execs groping in the dark while earning big $$$.
 

soxfan121

JAG
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2002
23,043
NortheasternPJ said:
Jerry Thornton for 4 hours? God save our souls.
 
Greg Dickerson, somehow, is worse. 
 
It's like WEEI has so little money they are giving the third chair to whomever is willing to pay most to sit in it. Jerry Thornton, Greg Dickerson...is Jimmy Myers available? How about Craig Mustard?
 

John Marzano Olympic Hero

has fancy plans, and pants to match
Dope
Apr 12, 2001
19,853
There must be something that afternoon drive co-hosts keep forgetting about UConn. Last week Mazz was talking about UConn "head coach" Jim Calhoun and what a dick he is. Yesterday, Holley was talking about UConn "head coach" Jim Calhoun and what he would say to potential recruits coming to Storrs.
 
I expect that from Mazz, but I was a bit puzzled by Holley; I thought he was a bit smarter than Tony Mazz. I don't really blame either guy, Calhoun is pretty much synonymous with UConn hoop (and I'm sure it was a slip of the tongue).
 

Nite Vizhun UV

proctological researcher
SoSH Member
Aug 30, 2002
4,612
Shakedown Street
soxfan121 said:
 
Greg Dickerson, somehow, is worse. 
 
It's like WEEI has so little money they are giving the third chair to whomever is willing to pay most to sit in it. Jerry Thornton, Greg Dickerson...is Jimmy Myers available? How about Craig Mustard?
 
If this were true, we'd probably end up with a return of the A Team. Which would royally suck. Jambalaya.
 
John Marzano Olympic Hero said:
There must be something that afternoon drive co-hosts keep forgetting about UConn. Last week Mazz was talking about UConn "head coach" Jim Calhoun and what a dick he is. Yesterday, Holley was talking about UConn "head coach" Jim Calhoun and what he would say to potential recruits coming to Storrs.
 
I expect that from Mazz, but I was a bit puzzled by Holley; I thought he was a bit smarter than Tony Mazz. I don't really blame either guy, Calhoun is pretty much synonymous with UConn hoop (and I'm sure it was a slip of the tongue).
 
Michael Holley is not nearly as sports savvy is he would lead you to believe. His lack of knowledge within even Boston sports is disappointing, to say the least. Especially for an afternoon drive host.
 
Bring back Ordway and team him with Dale, and then we might have something.
 

Marbleheader

Dope
Dope
Sep 27, 2004
10,225
I absolutely will not listen to Thornton or Dickerson. With the Sox as a lead in, they are shooting themselves in the foot with these clowns.
 

j-man

Member
Dec 19, 2012
1,371
Arkansas
jerry thornton is a polyanna type of writer and u should had seen him firt with jess moran the day she fill in for mazz and beathhle was in the big chair it was embrassing and unprofessional i mean moran is hot but like he could score with her
 

Phenom

as if andy gresh and gary tanguay had a baby
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2006
998
Jerry Thornton is a pervert who knows nothing about sports.
 
His primary audience on Barstool is illiterate, knuckle-dragging, advantaged college kids who come from upper-middle class suburban families but yet feel as if society's emphasis on diversity is "attacking their freedom." The "pussification of America" is code for, "I'm a bigot and am frightened that the world is passing me by."
 
I have no idea why these radio station executives seem to think that putting Barstool trolls on the air will somehow cause the advertisers to come storming back. I'd bet that most of Barstool's audience has minimal disposal income anyway. They buy ramen, not suits from Milton. 
 
If sports talk stations really wanted to be bold, they'd put someone from Deadspin on. It's the Barstool for people who don't breath through their mouths. Every day, there's at least three to five thought provoking articles on Deadspin that contain content one would have trouble finding elsewhere.
 
There's so much talent out there nowadays. It's a shame that more new people aren't brought into the fold on radio and TV. 
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
12,981
j-man said:
jerry thornton is a polyanna type of writer and u should had seen him firt with jess moran the day she fill in for mazz and beathhle was in the big chair it was embrassing and unprofessional i mean moran is hot but like he could score with her
 
The only thing he's missing is the ponytail.
 
 

John Marzano Olympic Hero

has fancy plans, and pants to match
Dope
Apr 12, 2001
19,853
NortheasternPJ said:
 
The only thing he's missing is the ponytail.
 
 
That's what he looks like? If someone ever steals home plate from Fenway, they can always use this guy's face.
 
I heard him a little bit on Tuesday in the 5:00 hour and he didn't say too much. When he did, it was just a generic peanut gallery comment.
 
And Phenom's description is spot-on.
 

dcmissle

Deflatigator
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Aug 4, 2005
27,354
There must be something that afternoon drive co-hosts keep forgetting about UConn. Last week Mazz was talking about UConn "head coach" Jim Calhoun and what a dick he is. Yesterday, Holley was talking about UConn "head coach" Jim Calhoun and what he would say to potential recruits coming to Storrs.
 
I expect that from Mazz, but I was a bit puzzled by Holley; I thought he was a bit smarter than Tony Mazz. I don't really blame either guy, Calhoun is pretty much synonymous with UConn hoop (and I'm sure it was a slip of the tongue).[/quote/]

Holley knows damn well that Ollie is the coach, for obvious reasons. Need more context to evaluate the snippet.

If his point was that the current roster reflects Jim Calhoun, that is indisputably correct. Calhoun IS UConn basketball, notwithstanding the superb job done by Ollie. No one has created something out of absolutely nothing at the collegiate level, as Calhoun did.

Storrs the basketball capital of America -- give me a break. And it's indisputably true as the Huskies have won 2x the number of championships as any other team in the past 16 years.

The only thing that's close is what Howard Schnellenberger did for for football at the U -- and that's still not as good.
 

Spacemans Bong

chapeau rose
SoSH Member
Based on nothing more than watching The U documentary on YouTube the other week, what Schellenberger did changed the face of college football - BUT...somebody was going to do that at some point sooner rather than later. Harnessing local talent in South Florida was an obvious move, and in a way Miami was a sleeping giant. 
 
Getting kids from NYC to come to freaking Storrs is a miracle. 
 

soxfan121

JAG
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2002
23,043
dcmissle said:
Holley knows damn well that Ollie is the coach, for obvious reasons. Need more context to evaluate the snippet.
 
No, he really didn't The context JMOH gave sums up the segment pretty well - Holley completely spaced, misplaced or otherwise had no clue that Calhoun was no longer the coach. It was a classic brain fart - something just about everybody experiences at one point or another.
 
I am curious about what the "obvious reasons" you're invoking. Please elaborate.
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,442
Maine
Steve Lyons in today, and apparently he's in the rotation for regular 3rd chair appearances.  Ugh.  He's bitching about replay in the context of the game's being "geek-ified" (his word).  Basically taking shots at advanced stats in addition to the "I enjoy the human element" bull shit.
 
Sorry D&H, *click*
 

dcmissle

Deflatigator
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Aug 4, 2005
27,354
soxfan121 said:
 
No, he really didn't The context JMOH gave sums up the segment pretty well - Holley completely spaced, misplaced or otherwise had no clue that Calhoun was no longer the coach. It was a classic brain fart - something just about everybody experiences at one point or another.
 
I am curious about what the "obvious reasons" you're invoking. Please elaborate.
I did so, but my post was somehow deleted from this thread. I was not referring to race.
 

southshoresoxfan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
5,249
Canton MA
Can't they just, oh IDK, let Dale and Holley do their thing? If they aren't going to bring it quality 3rds, then save the $.  D and H was the only show I liked on the old WEEI format, they had chemistry and were professional.  Not the most knowledgeable about sports, but I've just come to accept that the level of sports talk I am looking for is found on podcasts, not local talk radio.
 

MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 26, 2006
8,101
If they could get Jackie Mac to fill the third seat two or three times a week, I'd be pretty happy. She's phenomenal. Probably too pricey for them, but damn she knows her Celtics and she's a great speaker. Really funny and with good rapport with Holley, especially. 
 

Helmet Head

Well-Known Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
2,338
Central Mass
MyDaughterLovesTomGordon said:
If they could get Jackie Mac to fill the third seat two or three times a week, I'd be pretty happy. She's phenomenal. Probably too pricey for them, but damn she knows her Celtics and she's a great speaker. Really funny and with good rapport with Holley, especially. 
Agree with you completely. It was a great show yesterday. It is really too bad it can't happen more because, like you say, she is too pricey.

I will certainly tune in when she is on again.

Overall, I like having Dale and Holley back together and think they offer a good alternative to Felger and Mazz.

They just need to figure out the 3rd person in. If they can get guests like Jackie Mac to fill in every so often, that is great. When they can't and they are stuck with B level talent, I would just prefer they ride solo.
 

Harry Hooper

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 4, 2002
25,029
Helmet Head said:
They just need to figure out the 3rd person in. If they can get guests like Jackie Mac to fill in every so often, that is great. When they can't and they are stuck with B level talent, I would just prefer they ride solo.
 
Yes, but radio execs appear to be obsessed with format, as in it must be 3-person every day and not just when it's worthwhile.
 

Chainsaw318

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 6, 2006
1,548
Burned . . . Blacklisted
Helmet Head said:
Agree with you completely. It was a great show yesterday. It is really too bad it can't happen more because, like you say, she is too pricey.

I will certainly tune in when she is on again.

Overall, I like having Dale and Holley back together and think they offer a good alternative to Felger and Mazz.

They just need to figure out the 3rd person in. If they can get guests like Jackie Mac to fill in every so often, that is great. When they can't and they are stuck with B level talent, I would just prefer they ride solo.
I only have heard a little the last few days, just in and out of the car, but I was excited to hear both Jackie and Jack Edwards.

I only heard one segment on Wednesday, but Taylor Twellman seems like an interesting dude with a different viewpoint. Was he any good?
 

Harry Hooper

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 4, 2002
25,029
Chainsaw318 said:
I only have heard a little the last few days, just in and out of the car, but I was excited to hear both Jackie and Jack Edwards.

I only heard one segment on Wednesday, but Taylor Twellman seems like an interesting dude with a different viewpoint. Was he any good?
 
I only heard about 40 minutes with Twellman. He certainly wasn't bashful. He jumped right in and made it seem like he'd done many shows with them before.
 

jimv

Member
SoSH Member
Feb 5, 2011
993
Harry Hooper said:
 
Yes, but radio execs appear to be obsessed with format, as in it must be 3-person every day and not just when it's worthwhile.
As a Radio Exec - "We copied the successful format and ratings aren't improving, we'll tweak it a bit, give it some more time" might lead to longer employment
 
"We didn't copy the successful format and ratings aren't improving" is likely to get you shown the door
 

Helmet Head

Well-Known Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
2,338
Central Mass
I have been listening to this show over Felger and Mazz over the last month whenever I get a chance. They had a great interview with Pedro today in the 5 o'clock hour.

It really made me miss him and the edge he brought.

They asked him what his most memorable/proud game he pitched was.

You would have thought he would have said the 17 K 1 hitter game in Yankee stadium or the Cleveland playoff relief appearance.

Nope. It was a game in Kansas City where the team was really struggling and the bullpen was taxed coming in. Jimmy Williams came to him before the game and said we really need you to go the distance and you are the one guy that can do it on this team (or something along those lines). He said it was the first time a coach had showed that kind of faith in him and it really made him feel good. Anyways, he gave up 5 runs in the first but still went 8.

During the interview I got the feeling he was a big fan of Jimmy Williams.

It was just nice to hear the stories again. Pedro is awesome.

Here is the interview

http://audio.weei.com/device/mobile/a/92529947/pedro-martinez-with-dale-and-holley-radio-gold.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
 

Harry Hooper

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 4, 2002
25,029
dcmissle said:
Summary? Thanks.
 
See the McDaniels thread for one example. Generally this afternoon it's been a calm, methodical critique/assessment of where the Pats are at.
 

brettzky99

lurker
Aug 3, 2005
86
The PFW guys (Andy Hart, Paul Perillo, Fred Kirsch) are awesome. I can't sorta can't believe there is not a PFW in progress thread. Great podcast...has been for 15 years.
 

soxfan121

JAG
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2002
23,043
brettzky99 said:
The PFW guys (Andy Hart, Paul Perillo, Fred Kirsch) are awesome. I can't sorta can't believe there is not a PFW in progress thread. Great podcast...has been for 15 years.
 
We proof read at this level, son. This isn't the California Penal League.
 

Billy Jo Robidoux

Shoveltowner/Jerkface
SoSH Member
Jan 6, 2003
2,598
Cape Cod
Do Dale and Holley still do the "conversation with the coach" the day after a game?  That was one of the only times I used to listen to them last season.  I just realized I haven't heard it yet this year.
 

Harry Hooper

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 4, 2002
25,029
Billy Jo Robidoux said:
Do Dale and Holley still do the "conversation with the coach" the day after a game?  That was one of the only times I used to listen to them last season.  I just realized I haven't heard it yet this year.
 
Yes, here's the latest.
 

Billy Jo Robidoux

Shoveltowner/Jerkface
SoSH Member
Jan 6, 2003
2,598
Cape Cod
So they're still doing the interview but not airing it at 5:00?  Is WEEI really that stupid?  It almost seems like they want Felger and Mazz to win.
 

Patriot_Reign

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 21, 2011
342
I believe they air it whenever BB arrives.  Sometimes it's earlier in the afternoon, sometimes later towards the end.
 
Also, Chad Finn mentioned in one of his columns the other day that Jerry Thornton from Barstool will be joining the station full time, likely as a 3rd voice on Dale and Holley.
 

yeahlunchbox

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 21, 2008
362
So yes, it does sound like they want Felger and Mazz to win. They used to always reair the Belichick interview at 5 for people who couldn't listen at work. And adding Thornton as 3rd voice is the definition of subtraction by addition. 
 

Merkle's Boner

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Apr 24, 2011
2,231
Are there really people who want to listen to a Belichick interview? I turn the station as soon as it starts. Completely painful radio.