Live stock quotes into excel?

Oil Can Dan

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2003
6,518
0-3 to 4-3
I used to use MSN Money to get live stock quotes into excel, but it seems that no longer works.  I've googled around and found numerous tutorials on how to accomplish this, but each one has some thing that I either can't figure out or doesn't work.
 
Does anyone know how to import live stock quotes into an excel spreadsheet? I'd like to track how much money I lose across all accounts in real-time!
 

InsideTheParker

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
25,980
Pioneer Valley
I asked my husband, and this is what he said: 
Go to finance.yahoo.com/quotes. Build your portfolio with add symbol. Save portfolio. Hit download (next to Add symbol box). Will download a csv file. Open with excel.
 

mt8thsw9th

anti-SoSHal
SoSH Member
Jul 17, 2005
17,111
Brooklyn
InsideTheParker said:
I asked my husband, and this is what he said: 
Go to finance.yahoo.com/quotes. Build your portfolio with add symbol. Save portfolio. Hit download (next to Add symbol box). Will download a csv file. Open with excel.
 
That will only give you the price when you downloaded the info (as far as I can tell).
 
This might be what you are looking for.
 

Oil Can Dan

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2003
6,518
0-3 to 4-3
Thanks.  Yeah, I spent a little time on that page earlier today.  They lost me at "click the Microsoft Office button", and then on "proofing".
 
edit - should add that I figured out how to follow the instruction there but they simply don't work.  According to Microsoft XML for stock symbols is only available in outlook and word.
 
This seems much harder than it should be.
 

mt8thsw9th

anti-SoSHal
SoSH Member
Jul 17, 2005
17,111
Brooklyn
Is it possible you're on a different version of Office than the instructions? I took a screen capture of me going through the instructions as listed on Excel 2007.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5owpaBHlVGk
 
edit - It may under File>Options in your version of Excel. 
 

Oil Can Dan

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2003
6,518
0-3 to 4-3
I'm on Office 365 - the web based version.
 
My workflow on this is as follows:
 
File > Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options > Actions
 
At that point I can add the Date XML and that's it. I can then select "more actions", and then this webpage populates:
 
https://support.office.microsoft.com/en-us/article/Built-in-Actions-8d01d867-4feb-4910-9072-afd2f9836609?AssetID=HA001050482&ver=15&app=excel.exe&CorrelationId=b770b686-9836-4583-bc87-e95dc96e427a&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
 
So then per that Microsoft website, it says:
 
Financial Symbol (XML)
Allows you to see information about a stock symbol.
Word and Outlook
 
So, I don't think it's possible to do this in excel.  Which is crazy talk.
 

HriniakPosterChild

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 6, 2006
10,656
500 feet above Lake Sammammish
Oil Can Dan said:
I'm on Office 365 - the web based version.
 
My workflow on this is as follows:
 
File > Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options > Actions
 
At that point I can add the Date XML and that's it. I can then select "more actions", and then this webpage populates:
 
https://support.office.microsoft.com/en-us/article/Built-in-Actions-8d01d867-4feb-4910-9072-afd2f9836609?AssetID=HA001050482&ver=15&app=excel.exe&CorrelationId=b770b686-9836-4583-bc87-e95dc96e427a&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
 
So then per that Microsoft website, it says:
 
So, I don't think it's possible to do this in excel.  Which is crazy talk.
 
"Not possible to do this in excel" != "Not possible to do this in web based version"
 

Oil Can Dan

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2003
6,518
0-3 to 4-3
HriniakPosterChild said:
 
"Not possible to do this in excel" != "Not possible to do this in web based version"
Ah, okay, so this is because I'm on this crappy 365 version then?
 

Oil Can Dan

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2003
6,518
0-3 to 4-3
Thanks all - appreciate it.  I don't have access to a desktop version so looks like I'm outta luck.
 

Oil Can Dan

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2003
6,518
0-3 to 4-3
Apr 19, 2017
1
I used to use MSN Money to get live stock quotes into excel, but it seems that no longer works. I've googled around and found numerous tutorials on how to accomplish this, but each one has some thing that I either can't figure out or doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to import live stock quotes into an excel spreadsheet? I'd like to track how much money I lose across all accounts in real-time!
I like using MarketXLS for this. It's great for me.
Stock Quotes in Excel