Kirk and Callahan: Done

joe dokes

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
13,194
richgedman'sghost said:
It is frustrating that these 2 clowns who should rot in hell for all eternity can put 2 great shows together when they want to. The Brady interview and the Remy interview and follow up was very compelling radio. Why cant't they put on shows like that all the time? Instead most shows are filled with the same tired blend of sexism, racism and homophobia.  It's really sad that it takes 2 awful tragedies for these guys to get their act together. Dollars to doughnuts on Monday, it will be back to the same old/same old.
 
"Put together?"
There's a common thread.  The focus of those programs were NOT Dennis and Callahan.  In each case they had compelling stories and articulate storytellers. A show hosted by a dolphin and a chimpanzee could have gotten compelling interviews from them.  Left to their own devices they're the same assholes they've always been.
 

steveluck7

Member
SoSH Member
May 10, 2007
2,922
Burrillville, RI
richgedman'sghost said:
It is frustrating that these 2 clowns who should rot in hell for all eternity can put 2 great shows together when they want to. The Brady interview and the Remy interview and follow up was very compelling radio. Why cant't they put on shows like that all the time? Instead most shows are filled with the same tired blend of sexism, racism and homophobia.  It's really sad that it takes 2 awful tragedies for these guys to get their act together. Dollars to doughnuts on Monday, it will be back to the same old/same old.
 

John Marzano Olympic Hero

has fancy plans, and pants to match
Dope
Apr 12, 2001
20,185
doctormoist said:
"Louis C.K. is mediocre at best..."  "There's nothing edgy or topical..."
 
-Gerry Callahan
 
Well, he's no Lenny Claaahhke.
 
Honestly, I am shocked he said that about CK given both of these guys' Lowell roots.
 
What Louis CK needs is some of that Farrelly brothers' wit. Or Lenny Clark, that guy really puts everyone on blast.
 

yep

Member
SoSH Member
Feb 3, 2006
2,465
Red Sox Natin
Dennis is convinced that John Henry instructed the Globe to write an editorial contradicting John Henry RE: Jerry Remy, to "prove" that the Globe is independent. 
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
13,269
yep said:
Dennis is convinced that John Henry instructed the Globe to write an editorial contradicting John Henry RE: Jerry Remy, to "prove" that the Globe is independent. 
I switched over from T&R on a break and was regretting it immediately. Between that and them comparing the victim's neighbor to Dale Arnold when Mutt took his job was just awful awful radio. Then quickly followed up by an old guy calling in and asking if Jerry Remy beats his wife to start the path of violence.
 

reej

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 30, 2006
161
cape cod
doctormoist said:
"Louis C.K. is mediocre at best..."  "There's nothing edgy or topical..."
 
-Gerry Callahan
 
Well, he's no Lenny Claaahhke.
 
Shortly after this Dennis said that Ron White (the guy in the Blue Collar Comedy Tour that isn't Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy, or Bill Engvall) was the funniest man in the world.
 
"He holds a cigar in one hand.... and a glass of scotch in the other!!!"
 

Haunted

The Man in the Box
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Aug 23, 2006
3,200
Ron White is the only comedian that's part of that garbage that's actually funny. 
 
But Louis CK might be the most successful comic in the country right now. 
 

joe dokes

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
13,194
Haunted said:
Ron White is the only comedian that's part of that garbage that's actually funny. 
 
But Louis CK might be the most successful comic in the country right now. 
 
And he was also really good in two successful movies last year.
 

Vandalman

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 23, 2010
575
SE Mass
From the website:
 

These won’t be applicable before or after: $199 for a single or $249 for a double
 
Both include accommodations in the newly renovated rooms at the Grand Pequot Tower and access to the party with a buffet and bowling at High Rollers from 7-10 p.m.
 
There will be a cash bar
 
 
1) That doesn't sound like much of a room discount.
 
2) Bowling?
 

Dan Murfman

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 21, 2001
3,483
Pawcatuck
Vandalman said:
 
From the website:
 

 
1) That doesn't sound like much of a room discount.
 
2) Bowling?

 
About a $50 discount and though I'm not much of a bowler but I've been to High Rollers twice with a group and we had a good time bowling and drinking. It's a fun place to hang and the food wasn't bad.
 

Vandalman

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 23, 2010
575
SE Mass
Dan Murfman said:
About a $50 discount and though I'm not much of a bowler but I've been to High Rollers twice with a group and we had a good time bowling and drinking. It's a fun place to hang and the food wasn't bad.
Oh, I have nothing against bowling or drinking. But by my math, JD + bachelor party does not equal hanging with the keglers.
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,884
Maine
Vandalman said:
Oh, I have nothing against bowling or drinking. But by my math, JD + bachelor party does not equal hanging with the keglers.
 
The bowling alley is just a place for the unwashed heathens to go.  I'm sure JD and company are going to be firmly ensconced in a velvet-rope guarded VIP room away from the riff-raff.  Is there a balcony?  I'm picturing him gracing the masses with a wave from the balcony early on in the proceedings, then he retires to the back where he gets glad-handed by the corporate sponsors and their cronies.
 

Byrdbrain

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
8,405
PC Drunken Friar said:
I have never heard of a bachelor party being "advertised" or whatever like this. Bizarre.
I'm a big free market guy and am all for everyone making money but there is really something unseemly about this(even in JD terms). Selling access to your "bachelor party" as a gimmick to get people down to FoxWoods just doesn't seem right.
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,884
Maine
Byrdbrain said:
I'm a big free market guy and am all for everyone making money but there is really something unseemly about this(even in JD terms). Selling access to your "bachelor party" as a gimmick to get people down to FoxWoods just doesn't seem right.
 
It's just an excuse for a station promo event, something they do all the time.  If it wasn't the bachelor party, they'd just come up with some other reason to throw an event down there.
 

Patriot_Reign

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 21, 2011
364
I heard him something on the radio the other day that "about 80" people have already bought tickets, which probably means 30-40 sold.
Reminded me of when WEEI through a pay to get in party at the superbowl in Indy and Dennis tweeted this photo captioned "me and 500 of my closest  friends" and there were maybe a dozen people in this big room standing around awkwardly.
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
13,269
Patriot_Reign said:
I heard him something on the radio the other day that "about 80" people have already bought tickets, which probably means 30-40 sold.
Reminded me of when WEEI through a pay to get in party at the superbowl in Indy and Dennis tweeted this photo captioned "me and 500 of my closest  friends" and there were maybe a dozen people in this big room standing around awkwardly.
 
You must have misheard. I'm guessing he said "Some people around 80 have already bought tickets." 
 

Byrdbrain

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
8,405
Caught them on TV for a few minutes this morning and noticed that both John and Gerry were drinking Dunkin Iced Coffee though they tried to hide it. JD using the original cup but scratching out the DD logo and Gerry hiding his cup in another opaque one.
 
After the DD falling out they pimped Honey Dew a couple of times and I figured the official sponsorship was a given but no go so far.
 
Just something I found interesting.
 

Patriot_Reign

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 21, 2011
364
Maybe Chad Finn could help answer this, but does anyone know what's behind JD's hatred of Jon Wallach?
He went on another tirade about JW during last Friday's show.  I've never heard go after anyone else with the same level of vitriol (and that's saying something).
I get that Wallach left weei for 98.5, but so have others.  JD's anger comes across as something very personal.
 

Andy Merchant

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 2, 2010
401
Patriot_Reign said:
Maybe Chad Finn could help answer this, but does anyone know what's behind JD's hatred of Jon Wallach?
He went on another tirade about JW during last Friday's show.  I've never heard go after anyone else with the same level of vitriol (and that's saying something).
I get that Wallach left weei for 98.5, but so have others.  JD's anger comes across as something very personal.
When that topic comes up on 98.5, Wallach seems genuinely baffled and says something along the lines of "The guy didn't even know I existed at EEI, so why would he hate me?". Wallach got out of EEI before the collapse and before the flashboys were let go there and now he's on a show that is beating the pants off of JD's in the ratings. I'm not sure JD's bloated ego can process that. :)
 

Andy Merchant

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 2, 2010
401
Chad Finn said:
I asked John the other day, actually. Essentially he said it's because he considers Wallach as untalented as anyone in the market and that he acts empowered by the association with T&R.
And that's his reason for threatening Wallach on twitter with a beatdown? While Wallach is obviously riding on T&R's coattails, I've never heard him say anything on the air that I would categorize as "empowered".
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
13,269
This is the same Wallach that they make fun of on a regular basis on T&R? I'm pretty sure Wallach knows his place in the pecking order, but I'm also guessing Wallach is much happier where he is and made a great career decision.
 
I had WEEI on from listening to D&H when i got in the car today and these two were going on and on about him being a cross dresser etc. Callers calling up and say DONT FORGET THE TERRORISTS ARE MUSLIM. That Cambridge mosque has a not great track record! Remember they're Muslim!
 
More awful radio. 
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
13,269
Chad Finn said:
I asked John the other day, actually. Essentially he said it's because he considers Wallach as untalented as anyone in the market and that he acts empowered by the association with T&R.
 
Do you talk to him on a semi-regular basis or do you just call up and say "Hey Dino, long time, first time, why do you hate Wallach?"
 
You don't seem to be his favorite person, if they had any respect for you I wouldn't think they would throw you under the bus every time you write something online. 
 

Rusty13

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 3, 2007
4,179
Chad Finn said:
I asked John the other day, actually. Essentially he said it's because he considers Wallach as untalented as anyone in the market and that he acts empowered by the association with T&R.
 
Just wait for the twitter tirades when Wallach remains gainfully employed, while JD (hopefully) gets axed this year.  Any update on the contract negotiations btw, Chad?
 

Chad Finn

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
NortheasternPJ said:
 
Do you talk to him on a semi-regular basis or do you just call up and say "Hey Dino, long time, first time, why do you hate Wallach?"
 
You don't seem to be his favorite person, if they had any respect for you I wouldn't think they would throw you under the bus every time you write something online. 
 
We have an email dialogue. It's usually civil and often amusing. They throw me under the bus because a) they don't like what I'm writing, which is the truth, and b) they have to read in the paper what's happening at their workplace. I can't blame them; I predicted what would happen to them, and I did it in a really snarky way at first. Only time I have a problem with them is when they attribute an error to me that someone else made, or are flat-out dishonest. Really, all I ever write about them at this point is ratings-related. Which, by the way, are out today and will be posted soon.
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
13,269
Chad Finn said:
 
We have an email dialogue. It's usually civil and often amusing. They throw me under the bus because a) they don't like what I'm writing, which is the truth, and b) they have to read in the paper what's happening at their workplace. I can't blame them; I predicted what would happen to them, and I did it in a really snarky way at first. Only time I have a problem with them is when they attribute an error to me that someone else made, or are flat-out dishonest. Really, all I ever write about them at this point is ratings-related. Which, by the way, are out today and will be posted soon.
 
Good stuff. Saw they got beat in the ratings again. So they were falling in the ratings for quite awhile, what do you attribute to their increased ratings? Is it Minihane? Management letting them talk politics again? D&C are obviously still the same characters they've always been.
 

Chad Finn

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
It's not so much that they've increased ratings. It's that they've held their ground when everything around them has collapsed, which is certainly an achievement in its own way. Kirk's really good, and that's changed the dynamic because he challenges both of them. They're actually trying to emulate that three-man model with every other show. Hard to find a dynamic that will work as well though. As their boss said -- which John and Gerry love to bring up -- they wish they could clone Minihane.
 

Don Bradman

Member
SoSH Member
May 20, 2010
397
Chad Finn said:
It's not so much that they've increased ratings. It's that they've held their ground when everything around them has collapsed, which is certainly an achievement in its own way. Kirk's really good, and that's changed the dynamic because he challenges both of them. They're actually trying to emulate that three-man model with every other show. Hard to find a dynamic that will work as well though. As their boss said -- which John and Gerry love to bring up -- they wish they could clone Minihane.
 
I can understand Minihane's value in balancing D&C's rigid views of how the world should work and challenging them on some topics. I guess it translates in the ratings, but I can't bear hearing about his jerk off habits, substance abuse history, and other personal garbage. Is that what people really want to hear on sports talk radio these days? It has me immediately reaching for the button, although T&R don't offer much of a refuge for me, either. I recently got a new car with a trial Siruis subscription, but there's not much there either, at least in the AM. I wish Russo would do morning drive instead of afternoon.
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
13,269
He's so cute when he's posturing.

Imagine if you could get 98.5 in Worcester. Oh wait you can. Imagine if,you could in Rhode Island! Oh wait,you can.
 

Corsi

isn't shy about blowing his wad early
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 3, 2010
12,955
Boston, MA
Well, I engaged.
 
https://twitter.com/dannygberg/status/456585879796998144
 
https://twitter.com/dannygberg/status/456588373860171776
 

Patriot_Reign

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 21, 2011
364
Chad Finn said:
I asked John the other day, actually. Essentially he said it's because he considers Wallach as untalented as anyone in the market and that he acts empowered by the association with T&R.
 

Thanks Chad, appreciate the response.
In that light I can understand JD's hate, although I still don't quite get the level he's took it too.
 
ps, I would give anything to hear an audio recording of a conversation between Dennis and Chad.
Anything.
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
13,269
Don't these ratings work the same way as Neilson ratings do? They get a statistically relevant number of listeners, track what they listen to, then create the ratings #'s?
 
If so, Dino's argument (outside of NESN, which I'd imagine has very few viewers) about WE HAVE THE CAPE, PROVIDENCE THOSE GUYS COUNT!
 
Those people can get 98.5 as well, but they're just not included in the sample.
 
It seems Dino thinks that they're magically measuring all the radio's that have 98.5 tuned in through some central tool.
 

Andy Merchant

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 2, 2010
401
NortheasternPJ said:
It seems Dino thinks that they're magically measuring all the radio's that have 98.5 tuned in through some central tool.
It would seem that he thinks publicly spinning things that way is better than admitting they are losing to T&R. Of course, he could just work harder at his show so they could beat the competition for realz, but that would require too much effort.
 

CoffeeNerdness

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 6, 2012
3,642
Patriot_Reign said:
Maybe Chad Finn could help answer this, but does anyone know what's behind JD's hatred of Jon Wallach?
He went on another tirade about JW during last Friday's show.  I've never heard go after anyone else with the same level of vitriol (and that's saying something).
I get that Wallach left weei for 98.5, but so have others.  JD's anger comes across as something very personal.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder