Katie Nolan: somebody should make a thread about her

notfar

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Oct 17, 2008
2,194
She is from Framingham, very funny, very knowledgable about sports, a huge Boston homer and is not afraid to go off on people. In short, she is probably a SoSH poster.
 
Here are some highlights:
 
Going off on Peter King:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rtc0jQHwQo
 
Going off about Greg Hardy:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGrL39Q99sE
 
Chugging more beer than Madison Bumgarner:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5qd2LKx2A
 
On her male counterpart's show:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un7IITvoaXk
 
Her twitter feed is great too, she has been torching people on there the past couple of days:
 
 
 
 
katienolan
watch Garbage Time with Whiny Entitled Little Slut, wednesdays at midnight eastern on fs1
10/9/15, 1:44 AM
 
 

notfar

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Oct 17, 2008
2,194
The fact her thread in the media forum had to be moved because people were being creepy is pretty ironic and pathetic.
 

johnmd20

literally like ebola
Lifetime Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Dec 30, 2003
37,735
46
New York City
notfar said:
The fact her thread in the media forum had to be moved because people were being creepy is pretty ironic and pathetic.
 
Yeah, it's a mark against humanity.
 

24JoshuaPoint

Grand Theft Duvet
SoSH Member
Nov 4, 2004
4,301
Cell Block C
I didn't need another reason to hate that good for nothing Peter King but i enjoyed her delivery of said reason. I wonder if he knows that he is a dumbass and just accepts it or he lacks the self awareness to fathom it.
 

CoRP

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 15, 2007
9,457
14
The Epicenter
Visit site
The broadcast had a sort of Daily Show feel to it, minus Jon Stewart's brand of humor, but then, this isn't a topic that lends itself easily to jokes. In place of jokes, her liberal use of f-bombs adds gravitas to the message she's delivering and her anger is palpable which may be why she generates such a large and devoted audience. She has potential to own this space in sports commentary for a long time. 
 

LogansDad

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 15, 2006
17,138
39
Alamogordo
Visit site
I really like how her take down of Hardy isn't just about how Hardy is a piece of trash, but about how people who write about and follow football are allowing it to happen.  I think everybody should watch that video.  
 
I'm guilty of misogyny on occasion myself, probably far more than I even realize, and honestly for me (and, I assume, a lot of people like me) it isn't even on purpose, and we aren't trying to be mean, and that is a problem (I am working on it, I promise).  My initial post in the Indy locker room thread was DEFINITELY guilty of this, and I later apologized when I realized that I was not getting the point across that I was trying to make (which probably wasn't even a good point to begin with).  
 
The things that people like Hardy are allowed to get away with saying (hell, apparently encouraged to do.... "Do you find Bortles' significant other attractive?"  REALLY?), even more so since they are on a national stage so people can actually be influenced by their words, or look up to them and what they are saying, is disheartening to say the least.  If anything, him beating up his girlfriend has made him MORE famous, and as long as he continues to get sacks in the NFL he will likely to continue being able to say things like that and still be a millionaire.  It's just one more reason I continue to say that I am done with the league after Brady retires, not that losing me will make any difference.
 

Andrew

broke his neck in costa rica
SoSH Member
Jan 20, 2006
12,005
Western Massachusetts
I love her for pointing out what a joke the NFL is when it comes towards their attitude about women. It's all about marketing, they absolutely do not give an actual fuck. They can wear pink all day but it doesn't change that every action they take shows not just outright disrespect of women, but often dangerous and violent hostility.
 
I hate everything about the NFL except the damn game. 
 

E5 Yaz

Transcends message boarding
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
59,226
61
Oregon
DrewDawg said:
 
 
That's a weird article to me. It seems to take a harsh tone when it really doesn't need to for the point it was making.
 
 
I agree about the tone. I just found it interesting for the aspect of how the changes in the media landscape play out.  
 

CoRP

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 15, 2007
9,457
14
The Epicenter
Visit site
Nolan did an excellent job paraphrasing Brennan's article and then was able to spice it up with the f-bombs and indignation that helped make that video viral. Any guy that writes an attack piece article like that is pissing in the wind trying to taint Nolan's celebrity.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
9,894
Am I reading too much into it or did that article also have an implied "Nolan is getting more recognition because she's young and attractive" undertone to it? Not so much in how it was written but because of the inclusion of the photos of the two women. Almost feels like that was done in a wink-wink nudge-nudge way.
 

glennhoffmania

but still failing
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,396,455
NY
I thought that was exactly the point.  Look at how the older, less attractive, smart and first to discuss the issue is ignored, but the younger, hotter woman who basically ripped off the article is adored.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
9,894
But the author doesn't come right out and say it, which is why I used the term "implied".
 
So it sounds like you and I are on the same page.
 

E5 Yaz

Transcends message boarding
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
59,226
61
Oregon
glennhoffmania said:
I thought that was exactly the point.  Look at how the older, less attractive, smart and first to discuss the issue is ignored, but the younger, hotter woman who basically ripped off the article is adored.
 
That and the video v. print difference.
 
The tone problems, I'm guessing, come from the writer's indecision about which point to make more clearly.
 

allstonite

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 27, 2010
1,420
The article could have been "most people enjoy watching videos more than reading, especially when they feature someone attractive". And it could have been a tweet. And it would still be nothing we don't already know. What a weird article.
 

John Marzano Olympic Hero

has fancy plans, and pants to match
Dope
Apr 12, 2001
19,839
E5 Yaz said:
 
That and the video v. print difference.
 
The tone problems, I'm guessing, come from the writer's indecision about which point to make more clearly.
 
It seems to me that the author wants to make a scalding Hot Sportz take: "You jerks cheering Nolan are just as bad as chauvinistic NFL!" but stops short. In all honesty, I'd understand it more if he came out guns blazing to that. At least there's a point, Joe Kinsey's piece seems to exist as a an ad for Christine Brennan and USA Today. "Oh, you like that Katie Nolan piece? How about this one, which came out 12 hours earlier! Boom! Served!" I mean, okay Brennan came out first, why should I give a shit. They're both 1000% right on Hardy and the NFL. 
 
The one thing that Kinsey ignores, or kind of brushes off, is that Brennan wrote this for the USA Today. Never mind a newspaper, when was the last time you saw anyone read the USA Today and you weren't at a hotel? This isn't like she had a column in the Globe or the NY Times or the LA Times or the Post or whatever major newspaper you can think of, it's the USA Today. Up until 30 seconds ago, it never even occurred to me that the USA Today has a web site, but it does and it kind of sucks.
 
I know that we live in an era where people feel the need to have an opinion on another person's opinion. But unless Katie Nolan plagiarized Christine Brennan (which I don't think she did) who gives a crap who was first. This whole story is a classic waste of time. 
 

24JoshuaPoint

Grand Theft Duvet
SoSH Member
Nov 4, 2004
4,301
Cell Block C
Yea i don't think it's rocket science that Katie used to come to the conclusion that what Hardy said isn't politically correct. Didn't everyone think the same thing after he made those remarks? The Busted Coverage writer comes off as stupid. Nice side by side photo dumbass.
 

glennhoffmania

but still failing
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,396,455
NY
John Marzano Olympic Hero said:
 
It seems to me that the author wants to make a scalding Hot Sportz take: "You jerks cheering Nolan are just as bad as chauvinistic NFL!" but stops short. In all honesty, I'd understand it more if he came out guns blazing to that. At least there's a point, Joe Kinsey's piece seems to exist as a an ad for Christine Brennan and USA Today. "Oh, you like that Katie Nolan piece? How about this one, which came out 12 hours earlier! Boom! Served!" I mean, okay Brennan came out first, why should I give a shit. They're both 1000% right on Hardy and the NFL. 
 
The one thing that Kinsey ignores, or kind of brushes off, is that Brennan wrote this for the USA Today. Never mind a newspaper, when was the last time you saw anyone read the USA Today and you weren't at a hotel? This isn't like she had a column in the Globe or the NY Times or the LA Times or the Post or whatever major newspaper you can think of, it's the USA Today. Up until 30 seconds ago, it never even occurred to me that the USA Today has a web site, but it does and it kind of sucks.
 
I know that we live in an era where people feel the need to have an opinion on another person's opinion. But unless Katie Nolan plagiarized Christine Brennan (which I don't think she did) who gives a crap who was first. This whole story is a classic waste of time. 
 
I thought the way it was presented, with discussion of and a link to Nolan's video followed by "Now let's take excerpts from Brennan's column", and suggesting that people go watch the video and then read the article, was a clear jab at Nolan that she ripped off Brennan.  I didn't even think it was that subtle.  Perhaps I'm cynical. 
 

John Marzano Olympic Hero

has fancy plans, and pants to match
Dope
Apr 12, 2001
19,839
glennhoffmania said:
 
I thought the way it was presented, with discussion of and a link to Nolan's video followed by "Now let's take excerpts from Brennan's column", and suggesting that people go watch the video and then read the article, was a clear jab at Nolan that she ripped off Brennan.  I didn't even think it was that subtle.  Perhaps I'm cynical. 
 
I didn't think that he did, mainly because he used the first paragraph or two to explain how much he likes Nolan and that she used to work with some of his friends.
 
I'm not arguing with you because he could have implied that she plagiarized Brennan but if he really wanted to be a better writer, he would have just said it. 
 

glennhoffmania

but still failing
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,396,455
NY
Yeah I don't know what the hell his actual point was, which is why the article sucks.  My take above was simply my reaction as I was reading it.  That certainly doesn't mean it's correct. 
 

E5 Yaz

Transcends message boarding
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
59,226
61
Oregon
glennhoffmania said:
Yeah I don't know what the hell his actual point was, which is why the article sucks.  My take above was simply my reaction as I was reading it.  That certainly doesn't mean it's correct. 
 
I feel guilty for starting this sidetrack, but I find myself in your camp on this.
 
First, we can all agree it's a poorly written article. But I do think he was trying to suggest that Nolan was riffing on Brennan's article. CoRP had the right take here: Even pointing out the similarities isn't going to matter because of the way consumers approach modern criticism, then move on to something else.
 

SidelineCameras

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 13, 2011
1,522
41
glennhoffmania said:
I thought that was exactly the point.  Look at how the older, less attractive, smart and first to discuss the issue is ignored, but the younger, hotter woman who basically ripped off the article is adored.
 
 
(from the link): The video is closing in on 4,000 retweets as this Twitter code is being embedded.
 
This is not an attack on glenn, this is more of a question. Is Nolan really being adored? is 4000 retweets really something to get excited about? Sure, people have posted it on Facebook and I guess we started a thread today, but the numbers seem awfully small to me. Too small to warrant a "backlash against the backlash" article, certainly.
 

glennhoffmania

but still failing
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,396,455
NY
SidelineCameras said:
 
 
 
This is not an attack on glenn, this is more of a question. Is Nolan really being adored? is 4000 retweets really something to get excited about? Sure, people have posted it on Facebook and I guess we started a thread today, but the numbers seem awfully small to me. Too small to warrant a "backlash against the backlash" article, certainly.
 
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that she is being adored.  I was saying that the writer was saying that based on quotes like these:
 
 
So what I’m about to write has little to do with Katie Nolan and more with those who won’t stop with the bullshit gushing over her Garbage Time editorial last night on Greg Hardy being a piece of shit.
 
The gushing is simply incredible.
 
One look at a @katienolan search and it’s clear that Ms. Nolan is the new darling of the Internet
 
I have no idea if the attention she's getting is enough to get excited about.
 

ypioca

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 18, 2007
6,851
29
Florianópolis, Brazil
Visit site
By the way, he's amazed at the 4000 retweets for Nolan's video, while Brennan's article got 1500 RTs. Seems like her article was at least reasonably successful, and not, as he puts it, "nearly forgotten".
 
Also, the guy himself only found the Brennan piece after going out of his way to search for Greg Hardy takes online, while presumably he came across Nolan's video organically. How is he shocked by the fact that the article is less popular?
 
There's an interesting point in there, about how, even when discussing important issues like women's issues in sports and the media's role in advancing it, it (ironically and regrettably) helps to have it wrapped in a nice, attractive, easily consumable package. But I'm not even sure if that's the case here - as the written piece was widely read too - and this guy sure as hell didn't make that point. He just said "I get it" and pressed 'send', and left the readers to figure out the point of the article themselves.
 

timlinin8th

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 6, 2009
1,521
ypioca said:
There's an interesting point in there, about how, even when discussing important issues like women's issues in sports and the media's role in advancing it, it (ironically and regrettably) helps to have it wrapped in a nice, attractive, easily consumable package. But I'm not even sure if that's the case here - as the written piece was widely read too - and this guy sure as hell didn't make that point. He just said "I get it" and pressed 'send', and left the readers to figure out the point of the article themselves.
There were many points that he could have made. Using the evidence that these two female sportswriters felt largely similar about the NFL's handling of the Hardy episode and how that is viewed by females who follow the league, maybe continue collecting thoughts from other female sportswriters and see if their thoughts are in line with what these two others felt, which would be an ENORMOUS problem for the NFL. Instead, he put out that pile, a completely pointless article that tries to piggyback on the popularity of Nolan's video while simultaneously trying to discredit it in an odd sort of way. Definitely had the feel of an attempt at a hot sports take but wasn't clever enough to be worthwhile.
 

GeorgeCostanza

Member
SoSH Member
May 16, 2009
5,512
Found in central mass
glennhoffmania said:
The "Recommended" section under the article was a nice juxtaposition.
And the comments section was just....I'm rarely left speechless and it's a given that comment sections for Internet posts bring out the worst in humanity, but wow.
 

HoyaSoxa

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 4, 2003
1,138
41
Needham, Mass
Visit site
Our man Chad Finn has a nice cover story for the Globe mag this week on Katie. I couldn't really decide whether it belongs in her thread or in his, but thought it was very (deservedly) flattering to her and well done by him.

Nolan's podcast has been awesome the past few weeks - she got some really great and interesting stuff from Francesa and Woj.
 

canderson

Fomenting voting confusion and angst since 2016
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 16, 2005
22,638
37
Harrisburg, Pa.
www.pixelkickmedia.com
Katie Nolan has been hired by ESPN. I've really missed her, especially her podcast. Hopefully this gives her the freedom to be herself and excel at what I believe she's one of the best at, commentary.

ESPN announced today that it has hired Emmy-winning sports personality Katie Nolan. Nolan joins ESPN on October 16 and will appear across multiple platforms in a variety of projects. She will have a prominent digital presence while also making appearances across ESPN studio programming. Announcements regarding her specific assignments are forthcoming.
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/10/espn-hires-emmy-winning-sports-personality-host-katie-nolan/
 

John Marzano Olympic Hero

has fancy plans, and pants to match
Dope
Apr 12, 2001
19,839
You're using ESPN and freedom in the same sentence?

I'll save you the time: they'll say that they want her to, but they really won't. She'll get pissed (rightly), she'll get suspended and then she'll go somewhere else.
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,418
Maine
Katie Nolan has been hired by ESPN. I've really missed her, especially her podcast. Hopefully this gives her the freedom to be herself and excel at what I believe she's one of the best at, commentary.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/10/espn-hires-emmy-winning-sports-personality-host-katie-nolan/
The best thing about her podcast was that it was hers, not Fox's. She was uncensored and (seemingly) unbeholden to anyone. No way she gets that kind of freedom on ESPN (assuming she goes back to podcasting).
 

canderson

Fomenting voting confusion and angst since 2016
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 16, 2005
22,638
37
Harrisburg, Pa.
www.pixelkickmedia.com
You're using ESPN and freedom in the same sentence?

I'll save you the time: they'll say that they want her to, but they really won't. She'll get pissed (rightly), she'll get suspended and then she'll go somewhere else.
I know, ESPN fucking sucks but I hold out hope she can be so under the radar they don't notice ...
 

NoXInNixon

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 24, 2008
3,967
How close are Kornheiser and Wilbon to retirement? I want to see Nolan and Nichols take over PTI.
 

Van Everyman

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 30, 2009
17,239
Newton
Aug 24, 2017
397
37
I really like her style but don't see how it fits with ESPN's stale corporate bullshit. Would have liked her at The Ringer making awesome videos in the vein of how she started but surrounded by some creative editors.
 

maufman

Anderson Cooper x Mr. Rogers
Staff member
Dope
Gold Supporter
I know, ESPN fucking sucks but I hold out hope she can be so under the radar they don't notice ...
Bill Simmons had a lot of freedom at ESPN; after a decade-plus of exposure, he decided he was unwilling to stay away from the couple of topics that really cheezed off his bosses. Which has worked out fine for Simmons — he parlayed the exposure from ESPN into his own enterprise, and while the HBO show didn’t pan out, he has made more the money and is now free to do exactly what he wants. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if Katie Nolan follows the same pattern — play by the rules until you don’t need them anymore.
 

HoyaSoxa

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 4, 2003
1,138
41
Needham, Mass
Visit site
I wonder what she is thinking re: Hill's suspension. When she was doing Garbage Time, Katie certainly did not "stick to sports" on air, on pod, or on Twitter. I am concerned about how much she will be restricted by ESPN, but mostly hoping they get her up and running with a podcast ASAP. She has been sorely missed for the past few months.
 

allstonite

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 27, 2010
1,420
I agree I'm very worried about how this will go. I enjoy her sense of humor but the 2 things she's probably most known for are her rants against the NFL regarding Ray Rice and especially Greg Hardy. I'm wondering how far they'll let her go given the current climate and what she's thinking about recent events surrounding Hill