Bobby Knight was going to accept the Badger job, but wanted to convey that to the Army people himself. The story leaked and he got mad and stayed at Army.Feel like this is always the "great fear" in situations like these: that some premature announcement is going to blow up weeks and months of negotiations with millions of dollars and fates of franchises on the line.
Has it actually ever happened?
Sure, but nothing here has said "Celtics sources", so there should be no anger (if that's even where Hayward is) towards Boston--we've seen "league sources" and "sources close to Hayward". Even the Salt Lake paper tweeted a confirmation.Bobby Knight was going to accept the Badger job, but wanted to convey that to the Army people himself. The story leaked and he got mad and stayed at Army.
Mostly true, but remember way way back to a couple weeks ago when he reported the Celtics were getting both the Lakers and Kings picks back in the trade for the #1 pick?
Edited - Found it!I'm not assuming any calls were made, but once you start sharing info with more people, the clock is ticking. You can't expect to prevent leaks, you must expect them and plan accordingly.
Paranoia strikes deep in the heartlandSure, but nothing here has said "Celtics sources", so there should be no anger (if that's even where Hayward is) towards Boston--we've seen "league sources" and "sources close to Hayward". Even the Salt Lake paper tweeted a confirmation.
Well, that's good since Himmlesbach is the guy who reported it earlier today. In related news, the Globe had updated his earlier piece simply to say that since it was reported and confirmed by a league source to the Globe that Hayward's agent has said no decision has been made yet:Mostly true, but remember way way back to a couple weeks ago when he reported the Celtics were getting both the Lakers and Kings picks back in the trade for the #1 pick?
There was one reporter who said, my sources say Celtics only getting one future pick, then Woj confirmed that later.
The reporter with the correct info was Adam Himmlesbach. Weird he didn't just run with Woj report. Instead he used his own source.
We're not waiting for a signing. That can't happen for two more days anyway. We aren't waiting for the Celtics to clear cap space. They won't do that unless Hayward declares his intent to sign in Boston. What we are waiting for is Hayward to declare where he intends to sign. Literally nothing needs to happen for him to do this. He probably should, and will, contact the teams involved personally first, but that takes a total of a few minutes to accomplish.For something to get actually announced I would think the I dotting and T crossing would necessitate numerous calls to players, agents and the league office (all on July 4th). That doesn't include all the friends/family/people associate with the pitch/people in the room when the news comes in and whoever else may have extra insight. I agree with the post saying you need to expect leaks and plan accordingly.
This, really. The more time that goes by, the less likely it seems that it's just about getting all the ducks in a row. The leaked info wasn't the ideal way for Utah to hear about it, but it's still far more considerate than vehemently insisting that no decision has been made if, in fact, one has. And perhaps the reason for the poor reaction to the leak in the first place is that Hayward and his agent weren't prepared for an inevitable leak because there truly is nothing to leak as of yet.As annoyed as I will be if Hayward ultimately chooses the Jazz, I would be 10x more angry if I were a Jazz fan and he ended up going to Celtics anyway after all of this drama.
Still hoping this is just a way to regroup and quiet down and make the announcement his way. At least that's what I'm telling myself.This is fucked. He must seriously be still thinking about his options. He has had plenty of time to regroup and make an announcement if the Boston report was right.
I can't imagine he would torture a fanbase (or himself) just for fun. If he could have confirmed by now, he would have.
If he ends up in Boston I dont tink anyone will care.If he does come to Boston, this is now strike one with the local media and fans.
Doesn't bode well for how he would handle things in one of the toughest markets in the country.
(Trying to make myself feel better about him resigning in Utah)