Fixing WEEI

HomeBrew1901

Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray
SoSH Member
Not sure where I should put this, but TSH is doing a much better job at developing bench strength.  A year ago I couldn't stand Marshall Hook, but either he's grown on me or he's gotten better to the point where I enjoy when he fills in for Bertrand or this morning for Wallach.
 

John Marzano Olympic Hero

has fancy plans, and pants to match
Dope
Apr 12, 2001
20,282
HomeBrew1901 said:
Not sure where I should put this, but TSH is doing a much better job at developing bench strength.  A year ago I couldn't stand Marshall Hook, but either he's grown on me or he's gotten better to the point where I enjoy when he fills in for Bertrand or this morning for Wallach.
 
Right here.
 

Harry Hooper

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 4, 2002
26,144
I happened to catch Chris Villani hosting last weekend, and he did a decent job.
 

soxfan121

JAG
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2002
23,043
Harry Hooper said:
I happened to catch Chris Villani hosting last weekend, and he did a decent job.
 
I agree. He has improved a lot since he started. If Mutnansky had done the same, he wouldn't be in Red Sox Purgatory. 
 
The other weekend show worth listening to is Christian Arcand. Knows his stuff and has a personality (something Villani struggles with, IMO). Arcand at least tries to get some modern methods of evaluation (i.e. stats that aren't RBI) into his discussions and doesn't make it sound like paint drying. 
 
May 30, 2014
375
Not sure where to put this, so I'll try it here, since it was on WEEI. This is a bit of a pet peeve, but why is the first hour of a 3-4 hour show so freaking useless? Why do they feel like they have to start with mundane, meaningless, what-on-earth are they talking about conversation before getting into real topics? Is it that hard to come up with useful topics? Is it the preferred talk show structure they teach in broadcasting school? D&H (and Dickerson) started their show talking about, I don't even know, all I heard was a debate on footy pyjamas (sp?) before I shut it off. They all do this (D&C at 6am is a total waste of time). I think it'd improve listenability to just get to it, though I suppose it's not that easy to do. Or am I over-reacting?
 

timlinin8th

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 6, 2009
1,521
Snoop Soxy Dogg said:
Not sure where to put this, so I'll try it here, since it was on WEEI. This is a bit of a pet peeve, but why is the first hour of a 3-4 hour show so freaking useless? Why do they feel like they have to start with mundane, meaningless, what-on-earth are they talking about conversation before getting into real topics?
This is a lot of conjecture, but I would imagine they (and yes, radio stations in general all seem to have evolved to this similar format) are gunning to have their "big topics du jour" for when most people are listening. So in the morning drive, commuting hours are typically 7-9 for the majority of people. The changeover between shows typically is boring and sucks, so starting the show at 6 and allowing it to get rolling so it is in gear for when the commuters start leaving is ideal.

Ditto the lunchtime crowd, no one is taking lunch at 10 so waste that airtime for the people who would be listening regardless, and afternoon shows start at 2 so by the time the commute home starts, same deal. I could be way off but it works out well for four hour format shows to be staggered that way, as opposed to the morning starting 7-11 or 8-12, etc w the later shows falling where they do as well.

I will guarantee they have studied the numbers and they know PRECISELY what time they want what they consider their "money moment" to be.
 

Darnell's Son

He's a machine.
Dope
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 23, 2010
8,706
Providence, RI
timlinin8th said:
This is a lot of conjecture, but I would imagine they (and yes, radio stations in general all seem to have evolved to this similar format) are gunning to have their "big topics du jour" for when most people are listening. So in the morning drive, commuting hours are typically 7-9 for the majority of people. The changeover between shows typically is boring and sucks, so starting the show at 6 and allowing it to get rolling so it is in gear for when the commuters start leaving is ideal.

Ditto the lunchtime crowd, no one is taking lunch at 10 so waste that airtime for the people who would be listening regardless, and afternoon shows start at 2 so by the time the commute home starts, same deal. I could be way off but it works out well for four hour format shows to be staggered that way, as opposed to the morning starting 7-11 or 8-12, etc w the later shows falling where they do as well.

I will guarantee they have studied the numbers and they know PRECISELY what time they want what they consider their "money moment" to be.
Yeah, T+R do this too. The first twenty minutes is pretty much empty space and then the next break or two is doing game recaps from the previous day/night. I like it, because I enjoy listening to those guys talk about anything, but I can see how it would be annoying. 
 

Gambler7

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 11, 2003
3,307
Not entirely surprising. I didn't listen most of the summer. Felt like the hosts were all on vacation for 95% of the time, and unfortunately Rich S. had to deal with his personal situation. 
 
It'l be interesting to see the Fall with everyone at full steam. Toucher and Rich to me have been great the past week, the show essentially wasn't together the entire summer. 
 

Chad Finn

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Those numbers aren't particularly relevant -- note the small share for both sides. Used to get chided by Jason Wolfe when I first started on the beat for even acknowledging them. The money is in the men 25-54 demo. Those are available Sept. 30, I believe. Should be very interesting. 
 

Smiling Joe Hesketh

All Hail King Boron
Dope
May 20, 2003
30,623
Deep inside Muppet Labs
Chad Finn said:
Those numbers aren't particularly relevant -- note the small share for both sides. Used to get chided by Jason Wolfe when I first started on the beat for even acknowledging them. The money is in the men 25-54 demo. Those are available Sept. 30, I believe. Should be very interesting. 
 
And we all see where that path has led him. My goodness, could he have been any more thin-skinned?
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,946
Maine
Seems to me the disparity between WEEI and WBZ in those numbers can be easily accounted for...Red Sox broadcasts.  Yeah, the team has been in the shitter all summer, but that doesn't mean radios aren't tuned in to the game.  Those numbers are supposed to represent every listener over the age of 5 that is listening at any time from 6am to midnight Monday through Sunday.  So every car, garage, and backyard radio tuned to the game as background noise counts.
 
It's beyond meaningless.  It tells us nothing about any individual show or time slot, and advertisers couldn't care less about it.  Sad state of affairs when any self-respecting radio personnel is pointing to those numbers as any kind of a win.
 

Rusty13

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 3, 2007
4,203
So apparently SMY and Dale & Holley are in some type of "feud" going back some years ago.  And she and Holley went at it today on twitter after the BB/Dobson fall out. (Just scroll down on the link)  And for some reason, John Dennis decided he needed to chime in:
 
https://twitter.com/shalisemyoung/status/518097306693156864