2015 Cowboys: Romo Nomo

RetractableRoof

tolerates intolerance
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 1, 2003
3,670
Quincy, MA
Wouldn't surprise me to see Ridley end up in Dallas if the Pats don't resign him and the Cowboys don't resign Murray. Seems like a good fit stylistically behind that line.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
Ridley has a bit of the fumbleitis, though. I'm not sure I'd want to roll with a guy who's put the ball on the ground once every 75 touches in his pro career. Murray's recent bout of the dropsies just cost the Cowboys their season, so I'd imagine they might be sensitive to that in the immediate future.
 
As I mentioned in the now-locked 2014 thread, there will be some good running backs available in the draft. I want them to go defense heavy, but I would like them to look into a running back in one of the middle rounds. There should be some good talent available in rounds 2-5.
 

RetractableRoof

tolerates intolerance
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 1, 2003
3,670
Quincy, MA
I guess my point is that they do share some of the same attribues (fumbles being unfortunately one of them). That said, Ridley coming off injury will be at a price tag they can manage. I'd go to Bryant and point to Brady as an example and ask him if he wants a team with talent around him or if he wants absolute top dollar.

If I were handling the draft (and my phone will never ring for that), I would use every single pick on defense except I'd use a 3/4 (depending on where the OL rush occurs) to pick a replacement for the human penalty flag that is Doug Free. I'd bring in UDFA's for any other offensive competition.
 

Devizier

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 3, 2000
14,967
Somewhere
Do the Cowboys have an in-house replacement for Jason Witten? He's still a good player, but he's getting up there and his receiving numbers aren't what they used to be.
 

Super Nomario

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 5, 2000
13,374
Mansfield MA
Devizier said:
Do the Cowboys have an in-house replacement for Jason Witten? He's still a good player, but he's getting up there and his receiving numbers aren't what they used to be.
They drafted Gavin Escobar in the 2nd round last year, but he has just 18 catches in two seasons.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
Super Nomario said:
They drafted Gavin Escobar in the 2nd round last year, but he has just 18 catches in two seasons.
Two years later, I still hate that pick. The team had so many issues and they selected a third tight end in the second round. All because Jerry wanted to run a Pats-style two-tight end offense. Fucking idiot.
 
As for Witten, even though he's been in the league for 12 seasons, he's still only 32. He's got a few more good years left in him, so it's not quite time to hit the panic button yet. His decline in numbers likely has more to do with the increased emphasis on running the ball - and the emergence of Dez - than his age. He averaged 11 yards per catch in 2014, so he's still getting it done when he's needed.
 
He may not be elite anymore, but he's still one of the best there is.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
And he did it by getting the fuck out of the way. Who knew that could happen?
 

Greg29fan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
19,853
NC
Bill Callahan to Washington per Schefter.  New O-Line coach (and the title of Offensive Coordinator) needed.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
I imagine Linehan will get the OC title by default. If nothing else, that's a good way to get him to stay put.
 

Greg29fan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
19,853
NC
Dan to Theo to Ben said:
what was the reason for the departure?
 
His contract was up and even though he had kept the Offensive Coordinator title in addition to being the O-Line coach, he lost his playcalling duties to Scott Linehan when he came in.  Word was Callahan was pretty salty about it (and that Jerrah denied teams, I think Cleveland specifically, permission to talk to him last year), but to his credit he excelled in his position all year.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
Now that all of that is out of the way, the next order of business should be to get Dez signed long-term. None of that franchise tag shit.
 

Greg29fan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
19,853
NC
Bosoxen said:
And he did it by getting the fuck out of the way. Who knew that could happen?
 
Is it really possible he's finally getting it?
 

“It just is going to depend. What is the good news is, we’re in a lot better shape under the cap than we’ve been at any time over the last two or three years,” Jones said.  “We’ve got more flexibility. And we’re going to learn from the success and the how we’ve made our decisions."
 
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/01/15/jerry-jones-%E2%80%9Cprobably-doesn%E2%80%99t-look-reasonable%E2%80%9D-retain-both-dez-and-murray
 

DanoooME

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 16, 2008
17,311
Williamsburg, VA
Bosoxen said:
Now that all of that is out of the way, the next order of business should be to get Dez signed long-term. None of that franchise tag shit.
 
The right thing to do, if they can afford it, is to franchise Murray and give Dez a long term deal.  Which likely means Jerry will reverse it.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
DanoooME said:
 
The right thing to do, if they can afford it, is to franchise Murray and give Dez a long term deal.  Which likely means Jerry will reverse it.
 
They most definitely can afford it. It may require releasing Henry Melton, but everything I've heard has made it sound like that was a near-certainty anyway.
 
I would be ok with your scenario. Murray on a one-year deal is perfect.
 

soxfan121

JAG
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2002
23,043
The right thing to do is let Murray walk and sign Bryant to a contract that makes him the highest paid WR in the game with no guaranteed money and heavy conditions on off-field conduct. Something like the Revis-in-Tampa deal, where he makes a ton each season he is focused and on the field. Guaranteed money for Dez would, in my gut, be a mistake. 
 
And Murray is replaceable. All running backs are replaceable. Draft Abdullah in the 2nd round and use that $10M on defense.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
I'd be ok with that, too. I would prefer to keep Murray for one more season, but if that money can be spent on a difference-maker on defense - like Suh, for instance - then I wouldn't complain. Not that I want Suh on the team, but he would instantly make the defense much better.
 

Flunky

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 3, 2009
1,884
CT
Is the idea that an inside brute like Suh would require more O line resources and allow DeMarcus Lawrence to get to the passer more often? It's not just a matter of losing Ware or getting his replacement.
 
I ask because I am not knowledgeable about how that fits into their defensive scheme. Do you think McClain returns? Their pass rush was just unbearable to watch this past season.
 

Marciano490

Urological Expert
SoSH Member
Nov 4, 2007
49,305
Bosoxen said:
Ridley has a bit of the fumbleitis, though. I'm not sure I'd want to roll with a guy who's put the ball on the ground once every 75 touches in his pro career. Murray's recent bout of the dropsies just cost the Cowboys their season, so I'd imagine they might be sensitive to that in the immediate future.
 
As I mentioned in the now-locked 2014 thread, there will be some good running backs available in the draft. I want them to go defense heavy, but I would like them to look into a running back in one of the middle rounds. There should be some good talent available in rounds 2-5.
 
Don't the Cowboys have two backup RBs who are likely to be as good as anyone picked in the mid-rounds of the draft?
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
Flunky said:
Is the idea that an inside brute like Suh would require more O line resources and allow DeMarcus Lawrence to get to the passer more often? It's not just a matter of losing Ware or getting his replacement.
 
I ask because I am not knowledgeable about how that fits into their defensive scheme. Do you think McClain returns? Their pass rush was just unbearable to watch this past season.
 
With Suh, it's more that he can make plays, himself. He had 8.5 sacks this year and averages just over seven per season. What effect he'll have on the rest of the line would remain to be seen.
 
Suh would demand some double teams, but he wouldn't be asked to be a run-clogger, meaning he'd be free to get through the line and get into the backfield. He'd basically fill the role that Melton was supposed to fill, only much better than Melton could.
 
I'm not sure which McClain you mean. Everything I've heard and read says that they'll want Rolando back. Terrell, on the other hand, will likely be gone.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
Marciano490 said:
 
Don't the Cowboys have two backup RBs who are likely to be as good as anyone picked in the mid-rounds of the draft?
 
Maybe. But Randle doesn't have the pedigree that, say, Abdullah would have and he has the same fumbling issues that Murray and a hypothetical Ridley have, if not worse. Plus, he's an absolute butcher in pass protection. You can't have Randle as your featured back for that reason alone. He has to be the change-of-pace.
 
Dunbar is far more likely to be successful as the every down back, but he's unproven in that role and I would prefer him as the third down guy. One thing we know he does extremely well is pass protection and blitz pickup. I'd hate to take him out of that role.
 

Marciano490

Urological Expert
SoSH Member
Nov 4, 2007
49,305
Bosoxen said:
 
Maybe. But Randle doesn't have the pedigree that, say, Abdullah would have and he has the same fumbling issues that Murray and a hypothetical Ridley have, if not worse. Plus, he's an absolute butcher in pass protection. You can't have Randle as your featured back for that reason alone. He has to be the change-of-pace.
 
Dunbar is far more likely to be successful as the every down back, but he's unproven in that role and I would prefer him as the third down guy. One thing we know he does extremely well is pass protection and blitz pickup. I'd hate to take him out of that role.
 
Well, yeah if you're talking about Abdullah or Gordon, obviously they have more potential than Dunbar or Randle, but without reading any big boards lately, I'd imagine those guys are gone in Rounds 1-3.  Would you want to pick an RB that high given your line and existing roster?
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
Marciano490 said:
 
Well, yeah if you're talking about Abdullah or Gordon, obviously they have more potential than Dunbar or Randle, but without reading any big boards lately, I'd imagine those guys are gone in Rounds 1-3.  Would you want to pick an RB that high given your line and existing roster?
 
Sure. If they can pick up a difference-maker in free agency, that could free them up to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a running back. It's also likely that Jerry will be doing his usual wheeling and dealing on draft day, particularly to recover the conditional picks that will be going to Baltimore for McClain. He could trade down in the 1st round and pick up an extra 3rd rounder, making it more palatable.
 
Obviously, it's all baseless speculation at this point, but without Murray on the roster, they need someone to be the lead dog. Maybe Minnesota cuts Peterson and Jerry makes good on his promise, rendering the whole discussion moot? Who knows. That's why they call it the silly season.
 

soxfan121

JAG
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2002
23,043
Marciano490 said:
 
Well, yeah if you're talking about Abdullah or Gordon, obviously they have more potential than Dunbar or Randle, but without reading any big boards lately, I'd imagine those guys are gone in Rounds 1-3.  Would you want to pick an RB that high given your line and existing roster?
 
With this roster? Absolutely. And I think RB are fungible and never worth paying. But getting the productive years of a RB on a rookie contract is worth the draft pick cost IF you run an offense like the Cowboys must. Letting Murray walk and taking Gordon would be the right move 10/10 times. 
 

LondonSox

Robert the Deuce
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
8,956
North Bay California
soxfan121 said:
 
With this roster? Absolutely. And I think RB are fungible and never worth paying. But getting the productive years of a RB on a rookie contract is worth the draft pick cost IF you run an offense like the Cowboys must. Letting Murray walk and taking Gordon would be the right move 10/10 times. 
100% agree, but that is not how Jerry has runt he team. He looks after his guys. Murray did everything and then some of what they asked this year. It would be a big change if they let him walk. Smart change so boooo! Sign him JERRAH!
 

Marciano490

Urological Expert
SoSH Member
Nov 4, 2007
49,305
soxfan121 said:
 
With this roster? Absolutely. And I think RB are fungible and never worth paying. But getting the productive years of a RB on a rookie contract is worth the draft pick cost IF you run an offense like the Cowboys must. Letting Murray walk and taking Gordon would be the right move 10/10 times. 
 
Doesn't the roster need a lot of help on the defensive side of the ball? 
 

soxfan121

JAG
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2002
23,043
Marciano490 said:
 
Doesn't the roster need a lot of help on the defensive side of the ball? 
 
Sure, but money not spent on Murray could be used there. 
 
And nothing helped their defense more than their ability to shorten games with a productive running game.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
LondonSox said:
100% agree, but that is not how Jerry has runt he team. He looks after his guys. Murray did everything and then some of what they asked this year. It would be a big change if they let him walk. Smart change so boooo! Sign him JERRAH!
 
Put away the green pom poms. Even he acknowledges signing both Murray and Bryant to long-term deals isn't feasible:
 
“It’s going to be a challenge,” Jones said. “Is it financially reasonable? No. Is it possible? Yes. But if you just look at it from the standpoint of dollars and cents it probably doesn’t look reasonable.
 
“At the end of the day, you do realize it’s going to be costly to have one or the other.”
 
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article6780705.html
 
There's a lot of hedging going on in that quote, but reading between the lines, it sounds like they're going to go full-court press on Dez and maybe toss another token offer Murray's way - he's already gotten a four-year, $16 million offer, which should tell you all you need to know about how far they're willing to go with him.
 

Greg29fan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
19,853
NC
If the Cowboys draft a running back (I think the Adrian Peterson thing has a chance of happening), then I want them to draft Tevin Coleman from Indiana in round two.  He's the back in the draft that reminds me the most of DeMarco.  Wisconsin RB's have seemed to struggle at the next level and I have my doubts if Ameer has the size to be an every-down back.
 

Morgan's Magic Snowplow

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 2, 2006
19,501
Philadelphia
There is a ton of depth at RB in this draft.

Jay Ajayi from Boise State looks really intriguing if you want an RB in the 2/3rd, especially if a team thinks his ball security issues can be fixed.
 

Greg29fan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
19,853
NC
Dumbass gonna dumbass
 
https://twitter.com/wfaachannel8/status/563013759565058051
 

bradmahn

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 23, 2010
591
If I'm Jerrah, I take a RB in the 3rd and sign Ridley to a 1 year deal for roughly $2-3 million and call it a day. Ridley behind that line would be very dangerous and you'd have a layer of depth for 2015 and someone to potentially step in after Ridley leaves in 2016.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
Greg29fan said:
Dumbass gonna dumbass
 
https://twitter.com/wfaachannel8/status/563013759565058051
 
What do you think? Four-game suspension?
 

BornToRun

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 4, 2011
14,919
Bosoxen said:
 
What do you think? Four-game suspension?
Of course, this is a serious offense. It's not just a minor infraction like viciously beating your fiancé or anything like that.

Edit: /sarcasm, just in case I'm not as clever as I think I am.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
Randle said this after his little run-in with Frisco PD. I guess he didn't heed his own advice.
 
"It's the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life," Randle said two days after his arrest. "I've never gotten in any kind of trouble in my whole life. This is just something I'll have to learn from and move forward."
 
 
BornToRun said:
Of course, this is a serious offense. It's not just a minor infraction like viciously beating your fiancé or anything like that.
 
Thanks for your contribution.
 

Bosoxen

Bounced back
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 29, 2005
10,186
So much for any possibility of him giving a discount to stay in Dallas. With the loss of four game checks, he's going to want to maximize his contract. That means going to the highest bidder, which won't be the Cowboys.

Good thing they'll have Lee back next season.
 

Ed Hillel

Wants to be startin somethin
SoSH Member
Dec 12, 2007
27,823
Here
Marciano490 said:
So, if Dez is a no-go, do they consider franchizing Murray?
 
Well, if Dez is a no-go, they could conceivably take a run at Peterson, who allegedly wants to play there. The issue with that, of course, is that they'd be replacing a guy with PR/legal issues with a guy who just had the same problem. I'm not sure that would deter Jerry from a shiny new toy on the field, however. If Dallas is aware that such a tape does exist, they'd be smart to just let him go. There's no predicting where Roger's wheel will land, and paying a guy an elite salary for half a season and his baggage just isn't worth it.  
 

Marciano490

Urological Expert
SoSH Member
Nov 4, 2007
49,305
Ed Hillel said:
 
Well, if Dez is a no-go, they could conceivably take a run at Peterson, who allegedly wants to play there. The issue with that, of course, is that they'd be replacing a guy with PR/legal issues with a guy who just had the same problem. I'm not sure that would deter Jerry from a shiny new toy on the field, however. If Dallas is aware that such a tape does exist, they'd be smart to just let him go. There's no predicting where Roger's wheel will land, and paying a guy an elite salary for half a season and his baggage just isn't worth it.  
 
But is the difference in talent between AP and Murray worth what's likely going to cost a high draft pick?
 

Ed Hillel

Wants to be startin somethin
SoSH Member
Dec 12, 2007
27,823
Here
Marciano490 said:
 
But is the difference in talent between AP and Murray worth what's likely going to cost a high draft pick?
 
I'd be surprised if anyone was willing to give up more than a third or fourth to take on his contract, at his age, at his position, with his issues. I'd be surprised but not shocked if he's outright released, as there's really just no telling how his issues will impact his perceived value. Signing Murray for half the price and using the remaining money to address another area or two would seem to me to be the prudent move, but like I said Adrian Peterson is a really shiny toy and this is Jerry Jones we're talking about. If he has his eyes set on Peterson, I don't think he'd be deterred to give up a 3rd for him. He's not getting any younger and he's not the most patient fella.  
 

RetractableRoof

tolerates intolerance
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 1, 2003
3,670
Quincy, MA
Marciano490 said:
But is the difference in talent between AP and Murray worth what's likely going to cost a high draft pick?
Based on the 'phone call', AP wants to play in dallas. Based on the blowup at the combine, AP is unlikely to ever suit up for Minnesota. If you are Jerry and you want AP, you just wait - it's a limited market, and the Vikings are not going to get much if anything for AP. He's a high salaried PR problem that doesn't want to play for his current team. If you wait long enough - I could see the Vikings having to cut him.

FWIW, I also suck at poker.