2015 Bills: Go Rex Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

soxfan121

JAG
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2002
23,043
The Neckbeard will retire
 
"I just have been going at it for 10 years and it's just a family decision and I've decided to get home and be a dad and call it a day," Orton said.
 
 
Good for him. 
 

Mugsy's Jock

Longtime Member
Lifetime Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Dec 28, 2000
10,375
Bi-Coastal, for the time being
I'm not sure, but I saw about 7000 sideline shots of some sad-looking dude in a Bills #3 jersey during the Pats game yesterday who might be eager for a chance next year.
 
In an organization that's done a lot of things right, QB has been a monumental clusterfuck.  And a damn tough one to overcome.
 

Silverdude2167

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Oct 9, 2006
2,116
NYC
Is EJ Manuel really done? Why the Bills pushed him aside for Orton in a season they had to have known they would not be serious contenders makes no sense. I hope that winning season was worth it.
 

Morning Woodhead

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 16, 2011
966
Silverdude2167 said:
Is EJ Manuel really done? Why the Bills pushed him aside for Orton in a season they had to have known they would not be serious contenders makes no sense. I hope that winning season was worth it.
You had a coach trying to save his job with a new owner in town. Won't be the last time a coach makes a short sighted decision with his job security in mind.
 

Smiling Joe Hesketh

All Hail King Boron
Dope
May 20, 2003
30,495
Deep inside Muppet Labs
jsinger121 said:
Except he was a major overdraft to begin with and not a top QB a talent. That is flushing away a first round pick.
 
They've made the pick and haven't given him enough of a chance to show his talents IMO. I think flushing him now would be hasty. I mean, they're not getting Mariota or Winston this year, so why go find another blah vet instead of seeing if Manuel can improve?
 

Jettisoned

Member
SoSH Member
May 6, 2008
950
Didn't Manuel get hurt early in the season?  In any case he sucked, Orton was better and they were right in the playoff hunt with the best team they've had in years.  It's not worth criticizing them for going for it this year, IMO.
 

mjm3773

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 8, 2004
309
I think everyone knew Manuel was a project coming in. And I don't think the plan was to ever have him start last year. But then Kevin Kolb got concussed in the preseason and Manuel got thrown into the fire prematurely.

Then this year, all the other QBs in camp flamed out worse than Manuel, forcing them to overpay for Orton to come out of retirement. All the reports have been that Manuel has improved in pra cuticle since he's been benched, but obviously that has yet to be seen in real game situations.

As to why they played Orton instead of Manuel when they " had no realistic shot at being contenders," I feel they actually believed they had the chance to contend if Orton actually provided average QB play. They had arguably the best defense in the league outside of Seattle, and that was with losing their best LB, who will be back next year. Orton actually started out playing well, but turned to crap the second half of the season.

Doug Whaley, outside of QB, has done a very good job building this roster. You can say he overpaid for Watkins, but quite honestly, the difference between what Watkins did and what Beckham did is the difference between an average QB like Eli and a poor combination like E.J./Orton. But he completely fleeced Grigson in the Jerry Hughes/ Kelvin Sheppard trade and smartly didnt overpay for Jarius Byrd. QB and offensive line just have to be the major positions to address in the offseason.
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
13,181
What I can't figure out is why they started Orton yesterday. Orton wasn't the future, why not give Manuel a game to see where he's at. They were eliminated yesterday. The only explanations are they're dumb or they've given up on him.
 

Curt S Loew

SoSH Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 12, 2001
4,850
Shantytown
NortheasternPJ said:
What I can't figure out is why they started Orton yesterday. Orton wasn't the future, why not give Manuel a game to see where he's at. They were eliminated yesterday. The only explanations are they're dumb or they've given up on him.
Buffalo had never won at Gillette.  This was their shot.  However stupid that may seem.
 

ifmanis5

Member
SoSH Member
Sep 29, 2007
34,637
Rotten Apple
Didn't Wilcots give one of his many 'continuity' speeches yesterday that the Bills offense would be in good shape with Orton coming back? So much for that.
 

Kliq

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 31, 2013
10,009
I have no problem with them looking to contend this year by playing Orton. They could have snuck into the playoffs, and then Orton strung together a few games of solid play while their pass rush ate other teams alive. Stranger things have happened in the NFL playoffs. I agree with SMJH about Manuel not being a done deal, calling him a wasted pick isn't quite far yet. Maybe he was drafted too high, as many of the pundits have stated, but we really don't know yet.
 

beezer

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 9, 2009
552
To have Marrone say before the game, "The game means a lot to me, and we're going to play the best players that we feel give us the best chance to win," Marrone said, via ESPN's Mike Rodak. "That's just the way that I'm wired, and that's what my responsibility is to the team. We all have a responsibility to each other and I have to make those decisions each week." makes me feel as though Manuel is done in Buffalo.  If you believe your best chance to win a meaningless game is with Orton, then Manuel really can't be part of the future
 

luckiestman

Son of the Harpy
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
12,276
beezer said:
To have Marrone say before the game, "The game means a lot to me, and we're going to play the best players that we feel give us the best chance to win," Marrone said, via ESPN's Mike Rodak. "That's just the way that I'm wired, and that's what my responsibility is to the team. We all have a responsibility to each other and I have to make those decisions each week." makes me feel as though Manuel is done in Buffalo.  If you believe your best chance to win a meaningless game is with Orton, then Manuel really can't be part of the future
I follow the Noles and was shocked to see Manuel taken so high. His early success surprised me more than his recent poor play.

I feel like the Bills are in good shape. Coach was a weird hire but seems competent.
 

H78

Fists of Millennial Fury!
SoSH Member
Jul 22, 2009
4,613
Buffalo really does feel like a team that's just a competent and play-making quarterback away from being a legitimate threat.
 

Tony C

Dope
Dope
Apr 13, 2000
11,124
jsinger121 said:
Too bad they flushed down their first round pick on EJ Manuel and made a bad deal to trade up for Watkins leaving them with no first rounder this season. They may be in the Brian Hoyet market.
 
Yep. The Pats really dodged a bullet. This is a talented team and if they'd:
 
1: not wasted a pick on Manuel.
2: not traded up for Watkins
3: instead drafted Beckham, Bridgewater, and someone good last year with the Manuel pick.
 
This would be a scary club.
 

Devizier

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 3, 2000
9,905
Somewhere
Kliq said:
I have no problem with them looking to contend this year by playing Orton. They could have snuck into the playoffs, and then Orton strung together a few games of solid play while their pass rush ate other teams alive. Stranger things have happened in the NFL playoffs. I agree with SMJH about Manuel not being a done deal, calling him a wasted pick isn't quite far yet. Maybe he was drafted too high, as many of the pundits have stated, but we really don't know yet.
 
Last year was definitely not a banner year for quarterbacks. The only others drafted who have seen playing time: Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley. This year, the Bills could have traded down and snagged Bridgewater or Carr, but the jury's out on those guys. The only drafting decision, quarterback wise, that you could kill the Bills for is missing out on Russell Wilson in 2012. They're far from the only team in that boat, however.
 
M

MentalDisabldLst

Guest
I have to just echo that I can't believe Kyle Orton has been in the NFL for 10 years, but good for him for walking away on his terms.  He was kinda always a bridesmaid, never the bride - a well-above-average backup QB, but never quite good enough to earn and hold down a starter gig.  There are far worse things that could be said about people than that.
 

RoDaddy

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jun 19, 2002
2,248
Albany area, NY
I was hoping the Pats would kick the tires on Incognito this off season.  I suppose the fact that they stuck with a struggling Josh Kline last year rather than bring Incognito in for a look see like a few other teams did speaks volumes.  Still, Incognito was a good player and recent pro bowler at a position we need upgraded, and he would likely come cheap.  The bullying history is obviously a  deterrent, but couldn't this be resolved by his solemnly addressing the team, admitting he made a mistake, and vowing he is a changed man?  
 

MarcSullivaFan

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 21, 2005
3,412
Hoo-hoo-hoo hoosier land.
No way I would have wanted this guy on the Pats.   He's on his fifth or sixth chance at this point.  It wasn't just Martin.  He racially harassed a Japanese trainer, sexually assaulted a golf course employee during  a team tournament, and has had many penalties and fine for attempting to injure opponents.  
 
Have fun Rex.  
 

Devizier

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 3, 2000
9,905
Somewhere
Incognito probably doesn't make it past the first cuts. I'm kind of shocked Rex went for him, all considered.
 

ElcaballitoMVP

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 19, 2008
3,122
MarcSullivaFan said:
No way I would have wanted this guy on the Pats.   He's on his fifth or sixth chance at this point.  It wasn't just Martin.  He racially harassed a Japanese trainer, sexually assaulted a golf course employee during  a team tournament, and has had many penalties and fine for attempting to injure opponents.  
 
Have fun Rex.  
 
Same here. My cousin has actually had a chance to hang out with Richie a few times (friend of a friend type thing) before the whole Martin bullying event. From the stories I've heard, the guy almost takes a sick pride in being an asshole to people. He knows he can bully 99% of the people he encounters and thinks it's hilarious. Not exactly the type that fits the Patriots mold. 
 
Apr 7, 2006
2,254
He has been an asshole - and not even close to good enough to justify putting up with it - pretty much everywhere he's been. Buffalo can have him.
 

YTF

Well-Known Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Part of me wishes that Incognito never plays another down of NFL football. Another part of me wants this asshole to make the squad and cause Rex to explain and defend the bully mentality of the 2015 Bills.
 

mwonow

Well-Known Member
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Sep 4, 2005
5,042
YTF said:
Part of me wishes that Incognito never plays another down of NFL football. Another part of me wants this asshole to make the squad and cause Rex to explain and defend the bully mentality of the 2015 Bills.
 
I'm also looking forward to seeing him pick up a whole bunch of flags to handicap whoever Rex has at QB. All I remember of Incognito was that if a flag when down when he was on the field, he seemed to be the target a very high proportion of the time.
 

JimD

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 29, 2001
6,621
“We’re going to build a bully" - Rex Ryan, January 13, 2015
 

Dice K

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 20, 2006
230
nyc
Buffalo might as well sign Hardy and AP on rehab deals and go all in on Revis. That's not a team I'd want to play twice a year, but they'd be perfect for Hard Knocks.
 

Ed Hillel

Wants to be startin somethin
SoSH Member
Dec 12, 2007
21,620
Here
Josh, McCown, come on down!

www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2015/2/16/8044453/josh-mccown-buffalo-bills-ej-manuel-2015-nfl-free-agency
 

Super Nomario

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 5, 2000
12,076
Mansfield MA
Ed Hillel said:
Josh, McCown, come on down!

www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2015/2/16/8044453/josh-mccown-buffalo-bills-ej-manuel-2015-nfl-free-agency
It makes sense. They're not going to be able to draft a QB solution (and it's not like Rex has done a great job developing quarterbacks) and McCown is the best veteran available. Which doesn't say much in this QB market, but at least now they have a plausible option to compete with Manuel.
 

Ed Hillel

Wants to be startin somethin
SoSH Member
Dec 12, 2007
21,620
Here
Super Nomario said:
It makes sense. They're not going to be able to draft a QB solution (and it's not like Rex has done a great job developing quarterbacks) and McCown is the best veteran available. Which doesn't say much in this QB market, but at least now they have a plausible option to compete with Manuel.
 
Yeah, I figured it was either going to be McCown, Hoyer, or I was hoping against hope for Manziel. McCown may be their next Kyle Orton, which isn't terrible, but is likely not going to get them a deep playoff run, and may keep them out of the playoffs altogether. It depends which guy shows up.
 

Al Zarilla

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 8, 2005
49,751
San Andreas Fault
E5 Yaz said:
How about this English by the writer:
 
Had it not been for Norwood's 47-yard field goal -- his longest attempt on a grass field -- that famously sailed wide right, the Bills would have defeated the New York Giantsin Super Bowl XXV. 
 
Did he make it or didn't he? Well, sailed wide right.
 
Asked who the ideal buyer might be, Imler said it would be a Bills fan
 
Who else might want them for the price except maybe a weirdly fiendishly dickish Bill Parcells for a corner of his personal trophy case. Nah, would be weird for even Parcells. Actually, I kind of like the smaller, less ornate oldstyle championship rings, but it's Buffalo. Pass.
 

RedOctober3829

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
39,342
deep inside Guido territory
The Buffalo Bills are pursuing a trade for St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, multiple league sources told Yahoo Sports.  Buffalo has promising young talent in the receiving corps, led by second-year player Sammy Watkins and third-year player Robert Woods, but a league source indicates Bills head coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Greg Roman aren't sold on EJ Manuel as a viable starter and believe Bradford can maximize the value of their wide receivers and help them win now.
 
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--bills-eyeing-qb-sam-bradford-184954525.html
 

Ed Hillel

Wants to be startin somethin
SoSH Member
Dec 12, 2007
21,620
Here
Thirteen million bucks and a draft pick for a guy who's missed 40% of his games in 5 years, and has had serious injuries 4 of his last 6 seasons playing the game. It may be the best option for the Bills, though that doesn't really make it a good one. If they give up anything more than a 5th rounder, that would seemingly be crazy.  
 

Shelterdog

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Feb 19, 2002
11,333
New York City
Ed Hillel said:
Thirteen million bucks and a draft pick for a guy who's missed 40% of his games in 5 years, and has had serious injuries 4 of his last 6 seasons playing the game. It may be the best option for the Bills, though that doesn't really make it a good one. If they give up anything more than a 5th rounder, that would seemingly be crazy.  
 
You can be almost certain that the Bills would require Bradford to renegotiate his contract before they did a trade.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.