2013 PGA Tour

coremiller

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
3,967
Well this is Firestone.  Woods owns this course.  He's won there 7 times and has previously shot 62 and 61 there.
 

bostonbeerbelly

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 26, 2008
1,843
32
San Fran
WayBackVazquez said:
 
Don't go out on a limb.
 
Fair enough but Tiger has never shot a 60 in tournament play. This course isn't that easy, and at -9 through 13 this has the makings of a very impressive round. 
 

WayBackVazquez

white knight against high school nookie
Bronze Supporter
SoSH Member
Aug 23, 2006
8,294
Los Angeles
Visit site
bostonbeerbelly said:
 
Fair enough but Tiger has never shot a 60 in tournament play. This course isn't that easy, and at -9 through 13 this has the makings of a very impressive round. 
 
I was being sarcastic. He's on pace for a 59 or better. That's historic.
 

bostonbeerbelly

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 26, 2008
1,843
32
San Fran
WayBackVazquez said:
 
I was being sarcastic. He's on pace for a 59 or better. That's historic.
 
Sarcasm meter is way off after this long week.  Just went through 6 years of data to find a round that could have been considered more impressive and came up with the course tying 63 he shot in the second round of the 2007 PGA championship which he won. 
 

coremiller

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
3,967
Greg29fan said:
the nerves really got to him, huh?
 
Could be nerves, or it could just be that it's really hard to birdie every hole.  It's not like he started playing badly.  He still hasn't made a bogey.
 

Greg29fan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
18,973
37
NC
www.theharnessedge.com
coremiller said:
 
Could be nerves, or it could just be that it's really hard to birdie every hole.  It's not like he started playing badly.  He still hasn't made a bogey.
 
I thought nerves more because he really started missing drives and over-cooked the wedge on 16 rather than his putting.
 

terrynever

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 25, 2005
14,512
71
pawtucket
Guy shoots 61 and everyone's crying about two minor mistakes in an otherwise amazing round. Meanwhile, his competitors are looking at the scoreboard, or the TV, and saying WTF.
 

Deathofthebambino

Drive Carefully
SoSH Member
Apr 12, 2005
30,167
43
Tiger being Tiger.  Just on cruise control today.  1 birdie and all pars through 11 or 12 holes.  A clinic of how to not fuck up, keep things in play and take your shots when you get them.  He looks really good heading into next weekend.  Everyone else seems to be struggling to score today, so it looks like the margin of victory should be in that 7-8 range unless something catastrophic happens.
 

terrynever

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 25, 2005
14,512
71
pawtucket
Yeah. He can still hold a lead. This was the Prime Time Tiger mode for winning. Go low early on a day when nobody else is going low, then cruise in. I don't think he proved a lot this weekend except that he can finish off an easy victory.
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,419
Maine
First time Tiger's played the "yeah, I'm a dad" card at a tournament?  Easy to forget he even has kids since we never see them like we do, say, Mickelson's kids, after a tournament.  Sort of endearing to see him carry his son up to the clubhouse like that.
 

cshea

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 15, 2006
21,702
35
306, row 14
Visit site
Tiger has an absurd .428 winning percentage at WGC events (18 wins in 42 starts). Geoff Ogilvy is 2nd in career WGC wins. With 3. 
 
And yes, I do believe that was the first time he's had his kids with him after a tournament win. 
 

Deathofthebambino

Drive Carefully
SoSH Member
Apr 12, 2005
30,167
43
Are you guys talking about post-divorce?  It's only his 8th win since the divorce was finalized, and 5 of them have been this year.  I also imagine she has custody, so she would have the kids much more often, particularly when he's on the road working. 
 
If you are talking about in his career, that's just wrong.  I know there's been a number of occasions where Elin and the kids were around when the kids were babies after he won a tournament.  A google image search shows about a million of these:
 
 

Deathofthebambino

Drive Carefully
SoSH Member
Apr 12, 2005
30,167
43
WayBackVazquez said:
 
Yeah, and it also says his daughter was at the US Open he won in 2008.  The original poster was saying that it's the first time Tiger's played the "dad" card, which isn't true and what I was responding to.  Prior to the divorce, the kids (particularly Sam, because she was born in 2007) were at plenty of events.   Charlie may not have ever seen him win one because Charlie wasn't even a year old when Tiger won his last tournament prior to the divorce.   If Tiger keeps playing and winning, I would imagine we'll start seeing more and more of the kids as they get older and don't need to be tied to their custodial parent as much.
 

Comfortably Lomb

Koko the Monkey
SoSH Member
Feb 22, 2004
9,650
Ralph's Diner
Deathofthebambino said:
Tiger being Tiger.  Just on cruise control today.  1 birdie and all pars through 11 or 12 holes.  A clinic of how to not fuck up, keep things in play and take your shots when you get them.  He looks really good heading into next weekend.  Everyone else seems to be struggling to score today, so it looks like the margin of victory should be in that 7-8 range unless something catastrophic happens.
 
It felt like a retro Tiger week. Totally enjoyable.
 

Red(s)HawksFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 23, 2009
10,419
Maine
Deathofthebambino said:
 
Yeah, and it also says his daughter was at the US Open he won in 2008.  The original poster was saying that it's the first time Tiger's played the "dad" card, which isn't true and what I was responding to.  Prior to the divorce, the kids (particularly Sam, because she was born in 2007) were at plenty of events.   Charlie may not have ever seen him win one because Charlie wasn't even a year old when Tiger won his last tournament prior to the divorce.   If Tiger keeps playing and winning, I would imagine we'll start seeing more and more of the kids as they get older and don't need to be tied to their custodial parent as much.
 
If you're referring to me (I used the "dad" card phrasing), I wasn't saying that it was his first time, I was asking if it was his first time.  So sorry I can't recall who was at what tournament at what age five years ago.
 

cshea

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 15, 2006
21,702
35
306, row 14
Visit site
Poulter is having a nice little run on twitter following the PGA. He is proposing to taser the idiots who he'll "mashed potatoes" and other crap after shots.

I think Poults can be insufferabld when he starts whining, but he is absolutely right about this.
 

Comfortably Lomb

Koko the Monkey
SoSH Member
Feb 22, 2004
9,650
Ralph's Diner
cshea said:
Poulter is having a nice little run on twitter following the PGA. He is proposing to taser the idiots who he'll "mashed potatoes" and other crap after shots.

I think Poults can be insufferabld when he starts whining, but he is absolutely right about this.
 
The Masters wouldn't tolerate that nonsense. Those people would be dragged off and beaten before being thrown off the grounds and banned for life.
 

cshea

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 15, 2006
21,702
35
306, row 14
Visit site
Woodland is taking an unplayable on 5, he'll need to scramble for bogey. Tiger got his first birdie on 5 in the group ahead, now he's playing the par 5 6th. A birdie here and he'd be one back.

Great leaderboard, great venue. I love the Manhattan skyline in the distance.
 

The Napkin

wise ass al kaprielian
Dope
SoSH Member
Jul 13, 2002
20,617
46
right here
I'm not a big Tiger fan but it's painful watching him with his back. Been there done that. His bending down gingerly to get the tee looked awful familiar. Mmmm. Flexeril.
 

cshea

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 15, 2006
21,702
35
306, row 14
Visit site
It's been a pretty wild back 9. Kuchar imploded, Chaps had a 3 shot lead and puked it all back up in 3 holes and is one behind. Tiger's wounded, and Woodland just inexpicably drove the ball through the fairway and into the water on 13. Everyone is hitting 3-wood off 13 and Woodland, perhaps the longest guy on tour, pulls driver and of course drives it right into the drink.
 

cshea

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 15, 2006
21,702
35
306, row 14
Visit site
Anyone ever been to the Deutsche Bank? Tickets are fairly cheap, and I've never been to a PGA event so I'm thinking of heading down last minute if I can squeeze some time on on Sunday. Worth it?