(Redirected from Curly haired boyfriend)
Bio of The Curly Haired Boyfriend
Sports columnist for The Boston Globe. Groton native, former sportswriter for Washington Star and Baltimore Evening Sun. Previously worked as Boston Celtics and Red Sox beat writer. Author of several books, including "The Curse of the Bambino," which, at the suggestion of an editor at Dutton Publishing, used the notion of a curse following the trade by the Red Sox of Babe Ruth to the Yankees as a metaphor for decades of bad seasons, heart-breaking seasons and ignoble seasons for Red Sox fans. Popularized expression "Red Sox Nation," now used to describe Red Sox fans around the world.
- Nickname derives from a conversation between Boston Globe sports writer Gordon Edes and then-Red Sox outfielder Carl Everett. Edes asked Everett for a story, and Everett reportedly replied that he didn't talk to Globe reporters, especially "you and your curly haired boyfriend." or CHB for short (abbreviation is credited to Bill Simmons)
- The KING of the shit-stirrers, in a town full of shit-stirrers. You can trace nearly any faux-controversy back to the man also known as "Shank".
- Called David Ortiz a sack of sh*t when Ortiz was acquired. He stands by his statement even today.
- A racist on par with Mike Mussina.
- Patronizingly declared that Pedro Martinez shouldn't ask for as much money as similarly-skilled ballplayers because "he's from the Dominican and they don't need much money to live well down there."
- Mails-in columns for the once-great Boston Globe sports page.
- Resembles Napoleon Dynamite
- Once ripped on a mentally-disabled ballplayer (Jeff Stone) for his lack of intelligence.
- His employment by the Boston Globe is significant in that it signifies their outlook that journalistic integrity is tertiary to stirring the pot and pissing off players. Once described by Globe sports editor Joe Sullivan as "the bravest columnist in town."
- Thinks Curt Schilling is a Big Blowhard