Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Lackey Wins the Tony C. Award

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10796 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

He becomes the third Sox to win the award, joining Jon Lester and Bret Saberhagen. From the Britton article:

Red Sox pitcher John Lackey has won the Tony Conigliaro Award, given annually to the major-league pitcher who has overcome adversity through the spirit of determination and courage embodied by Conigliaro. Lackey will be honored at the Boston Baseball Writers' Dinner January 23, where members of Conigliaro's family will be present.

#2 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20622 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

He becomes the third Sox to win the award, joining Jon Lester and Bret Saberhagen. From the Britton article:

Way to go big John. Now may we have another season like the last one. 

#3 Soxfan in Fla

• SoSH Member

• 5460 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

Much deserved. Glad he won it.

#4 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3954 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

That's a really brilliant selection, kudos to him and the selection committee. 

There's little doubt that Lackey had to overcome all kinds of adversity -- physical and emotional, and he didn't let the bastards (that would include me) get him down.

#5 Minneapolis Millers

• 525 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

Point of clarification: The award is given to the major league player who overcomes adversity, etc.  It's not just for pitchers (which would be really odd for a Tony C award). 

#6 brandonchristensen

• 4573 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

Nice! Always good to have another trophy!

#7 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12270 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

Interesting that the press release cites the TJ and only the TJ as the award's prerequisite pre-peak valley.  Anybody buy that?

Edit: Whoops, was reading the projo article.  Full bit does mention his 2011 6.41 ERA.  I dunno if it's ironic or meta that the Boston Baseball Writers are the bequeathers, but it's something.  SoSH should vote Lackey a "Thanks For Not Hating Us" award.

Edited by JimBoSox9, 05 December 2013 - 06:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users