Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Gammons Column 9/19/2006

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Jewkilis

• 1216 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

September of 2006 wasn't one of the great moments for Red Sox fans.  We woke up the morning of the 19th coming off of a too-little-too-late series taking three out of four in Yankee stadium to stave off elimination for a few more days.  The roster had too many Javy Lopezes.  The pitching rotation was in shambles -- even year Josh Beckett, Clement never recovered from getting hit in the head, Julian Tavarez was getting starts, and their promising rookie's season was because of cancer.  There were other traumas off the field that season.  In particular, the aneurysm that Peter Gammons suffered in June struck pretty close to home.  So many Red Sox fans grew up reading his fabled notes columns and then watching him on ESPN.  His passion for the game was infectious.

After a long 12 weeks recovering in a Cape Cod hospital, he submitted his first post-aneurysm column on the 19th. After giving thanks to the whole medical team and everyone who supported him and recapping the couple of months he missed, he muses on the unpredictably of life by looking at the unpredictability of pitching prospects.  History is littered with can't-miss arms that do.

Yes, Pedro Martinez, Mike Mussina, Bartolo Colon, Matt Morris and Chris Carpenter are the only 100-game winners on the lists. But trade the next Johan Santana, Matt Cain or Francisco Liriano and deal with the ramifications.

Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners.

Today is September 19, 2013.  The Red Sox are in the playoffs.  Tomorrow night they'll try to clinch the division, lead by Jon Lester and his career record of 99-56.

#2 ItOnceWasMyLife

• 1610 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

You going for a Frick Award or something?  Very well done KJ.

#3 moondog80

• heart is two sizes two small

• 1642 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

I'm just glad they didn't trade Craig Hansen for Bobby Abreu .

#4 Koufax

• 1891 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:57 AM

Maybe passing on that trade is what gave Gammons the aneurysm.

Very well done, KJ.

#5 mdipalma78

• 95 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

Yes, so well done that I poached this and posted in on Facebook...

#6 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22339 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

I've sent it to a few friends.  Great stuff.

#7 ChinaCat2

• 314 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

I read this last night. I'd been toying with the idea of buying a ticket for tonights game (they have singles available) but hadn't pulled the trigger. This post pushed me off the fence, and I bought a ticket. I want to be there, camera in hand, to see Jon Lester win his 100th, and the Sox win the division.

thanks for the push!

#8 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13972 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Clement never recovered from getting hit in the head

Clement never had any issues from getting hit in the head. His rotator cuff was shredded. His numbers were actually better in the month after he got hit in the head than in the month leading up to it.

edit - lest I sound too nitpicky, I should just mention I enjoyed the post nonetheless.

Edited by mt8thsw9th, 20 September 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#9 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4127 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

You going for a Frick Award or something?  Very well done KJ.

Indeed. KJ, you are a special person.

#10 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 6710 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'm just glad they didn't trade Craig Hansen for Bobby Abreu .

They should have traded him for Toe Nash. 

There's still no one in Gammo's league when it comes to pumping a prospect.

But congrats to Lester; if anyone deserves a huge standing-O, it's him.

#11 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20794 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

I also passed this along, with appropriate credit and linkage.  Well done, indeed.

#12 brandonchristensen

• 4624 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

What a great set up!

Keep up what you've been doing, Jon.

#13 terrisus

• formerly: imgran

• 3481 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

As someone who had cancer in my 20s as well, it has definitely made me very happy to see Lester's recovery and success.

Getting his 100th win 7 years after a column from Peter Gammons saying that he would do so - and a bit over 7 years after his own cancer diagnosis - would definitely be good timing - plus clinching the AL East.

Edited by terrisus, 20 September 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#14 Toe Nash

• 3046 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

They should have traded him for Toe Nash. 

There's still no one in Gammo's league when it comes to pumping a prospect.
But congrats to Lester; if anyone deserves a huge standing-O, it's him.

Oh? :)
Glad Peter was right on this one.

#15 Kevin Jewkilis

• 1216 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

Pitching wins may be a bullshit stat, but that was one we've been waiting a long time for.

A little something extra to celebrate tonight.

#16 BrunanskysSlide

• 1058 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

To continue the optimism, several pitchers who hit the 300W mark were farther from the mark than Lester when they were 29 years old:

Randy Johnson - 75 wins at age 29

Early Wynn (seriously, that's his name) - 81

Gaylord Perry - 86

Phil Niekro - 31

Spahn - 86

Edit: added "Randy" as requested below, my bad.

Edited by BrunanskysSlide, 21 September 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#17 Reverend

• through the velvety hallway

• 23472 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

September of 2006 wasn't one of the great moments for Red Sox fans.  We woke up the morning of the 19th coming off of a too-little-too-late series taking three out of four in Yankee stadium to stave off elimination for a few more days.  The roster had too many Javy Lopezes.  The pitching rotation was in shambles -- even year Josh Beckett, Clement never recovered from getting hit in the head, Julian Tavarez was getting starts, and their promising rookie's season was because of cancer.  There were other traumas off the field that season.  In particular, the aneurysm that Peter Gammons suffered in June struck pretty close to home.  So many Red Sox fans grew up reading his fabled notes columns and then watching him on ESPN.  His passion for the game was infectious.

After a long 12 weeks recovering in a Cape Cod hospital, he submitted his first post-aneurysm column on the 19th. After giving thanks to the whole medical team and everyone who supported him and recapping the couple of months he missed, he muses on the unpredictably of life by looking at the unpredictability of pitching prospects.  History is littered with can't-miss arms that do.

Today is September 19, 2013.  The Red Sox are in the playoffs.  Tomorrow night they'll try to clinch the division, lead by Jon Lester and his career record of 99-56.

Exquisite.

#18 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11446 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

To continue the optimism, several pitchers who hit the 300W mark were farther from the mark than Lester when they were 29 years old:

Johnson - 75 wins at age 29

Just a quibble, but you might want to specify which Johnson you mean to avoid confusion. I'm sure I'm not the only one here for whom "Johnson" by itself automatically means "Walter" (who had 254 wins at the end of his age 29 season).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users