Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

R.I.P. Frank Castillo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15703 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Former major league pitcher Frank Castillo drowned in a lake near his Arizona home Sunday, KVIA.com reports. He was 44.

Castillo pitched for the Chicago Cubs, Boston Red Sox and four other teams from 1991 to 2005. He posted a career record of 82-104 with a 4.56 ERA in 297 career games.

http://www.sportingn...ns-cubs-red-sox

#2 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 10954 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Awful news.

#3 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27852 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Jesus...was hoping this was some kind of spoof thread.

The Lieutenant seemed like the typical Red Sox FA signing of a particular era; the guy who was signed coming off a career year or because he had pitched well against the Sox,and is inevitably a disappointment.

For at least a little while, he was a Yankee killer, and he's got a ring. Sad story.

#4 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3226 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

I believe this is the first member of the 2004 team to die. 

#5 Frank Castillo

• 105 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

I can't believe it.

#6 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1032 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

Wow, this is a surprise. I wasn't really surprised about Boomer but neither are good.

#7 curly2

• 2669 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

That's sad.

George Scott was the first member of the 1978 team (other than coaches) to die. That's a pretty good run for that team.

#8 Bosoxen

• Bounced back

• 5587 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Of course, the story gets worse. For some reason, he decided to have a swim in the lake, despite being a "poor swimmer." His friend called 911 when he didn't resurface. Making matters even worse, his two daughters were on the boat with them.

http://www.elpasotim...rank?source=rss

The official word from law enforcement is that alcohol was not involved.

"Family and friends of the man said that the he was not a good swimmer and deputies do not believe alcohol was a factor in the drowning, according to Enriquez" Deputy Joaquin Enriquez, spokesman for the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office

http://www.azcentral...?nclick_check=1

#9 Corsi

• Wes Chamberlain's Sasha Rockets

• 9130 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

Cesar Crespo is still dead to me.

#10 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7695 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

I think I managed to see Frank start every time I went to Fenway during a two year stretch.

Awful news. Something about him, frustrating as he could be, was easy to root for.

#11 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13829 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

Jesus...was hoping this was some kind of spoof thread.

The Lieutenant seemed like the typical Red Sox FA signing of a particular era; the guy who was signed coming off a career year or because he had pitched well against the Sox,and is inevitably a disappointment.

For at least a little while, he was a Yankee killer, and he's got a ring. Sad story.

What was typical? Good? He was a pretty good 5th starter signed to short money, and pitched 300 innings of around league average ball for a $2 million a year. I'm not sure what the expectations some had for a guy with a 94 ERA+ at the time he signed his contract, but he didn't come to town with the expectations nor price tag that John Burkett did, who was a classic "career year" guy coming in to be the number 2 starter (Lowe certainly surprised many). I'm not sure why anyone would be disappointed by Castillo's first stint with the team.

That said, one of my favorite things about Castillo was after the 2001 season (I believe) he had an interview on mlb.com in which he was asked what could be done to improve the game, and he mentioned speeding up the game by having the umpires enforce the pitchers getting back to the mound and throwing their next pitch. If one recalls, Castillo was a notoriously slow worker on the mound.

#12 terrisus

• formerly: imgran

• 3479 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Wow. When I saw the thread title, I thought it might be some other, older, Frank Castillo that I had forgotten about or something.

RIP.

#13 drbretto

• guidence counselor

• 4361 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

The strongest memory of Castillo I had was that between his last name and his face, my mother always used to say that he looked like he was in the mob.

Now he's sleeping with the fishes. 

(I really wish I hadn't read the part about his daughters being there to witness it before posting that anecdote)

#14 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37095 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

RED_SOX_PADRES_GOS101.JPG

201307291753643965062.cf.png

castillo.jpg

castillo.jpg

#15 mwonow

• 1427 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

I remember watching him pitch for the Blue Jays one day - probably against the Sox. He had something like a 20 mph split between his fastest and slowest pitches, and was pretty well unhittable, at least that day.

I'll remember him that way. RIP, Mr. Castillo

#16 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 13756 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

I think I managed to see Frank start every time I went to Fenway during a two year stretch.

Awful news. Something about him, frustrating as he could be, was easy to root for.

Frank never mailed it in. He was a true competitor and wrung everything he could out of his talent.

#17 twibnotes

• SoSH Member

• 7868 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

I saw him beat the Yankees at the Terlet. I remember being shocked that he was getting so many good hitters out with such soft stuff, but he did...and it was a great day. RIP

#18 RGREELEY33

• 1323 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

What a really sad day. RIP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users