Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

R.I.P Boomer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

#1 gatorgurl67

• 1,808 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Matt Pepin
@mattpep15

A newspaper in Mississippi is reporting former #RedSox player George Scott has passed away. http://bit.ly/16v4r7e

#2 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21,406 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

On wikipedia already. He was only 69.

#3 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25,693 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Goodbye childhood hero.

I don't know why it was the Boomer who was my favorite player. Now I've come to believe it was because in 66 and 67, he played with such joy and energy and, after the crushing 68 season, managed to battle back.

So many memories around him, but the strangest had to be my brothers and I following him and other players around St. Barnabas Church on his wedding day in Falmouth, and trying to sneak in a side door for the ceremony.

I know he takes some flack for the later years, but we don't get to choose how our favorite players end their careers

#4 BernieRicoBoomer

• 110 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Damn, that sucks.  One of my favorites when I was a kid.

#5 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 7,641 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

sucks is right

I really liked Boomer he could hit, and was a really really good fiedling 1st baseman

RIP George 

#6 The Boomer

• 2,045 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

You know how I feel about my now late and great namesake.  I became his big fan when he won the triple crown in 1965 for my hometown AA Pittsfield Red Sox.  The rest is history that most of us old timers know about once he reached Boston.  I still remember his .303 BA and 27 taters (George invented this term) batting cleanup behind Yaz's own historic Impossible Dream triple crown season in 1967.  27 HRs were a lot in that relative dead ball era of the 1960's.  Righty George played many of his Pittsfield home games with delays where the setting sun went down below the leftfield power alley fence.  Wahconah Park had skewed Yankees Stadium type dimensions where it was at least 400 feet to the same power alley spot where the sun blinded hitters.  Every one of his pulled homers at home was a tape measure shot with those park dimensions.  RIP Boomer!

#7 hitatater

• 117 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

As with others who have already posted, he was my favorite, probably for the obvious enjoyment he showed while playing.  I was a slight, white, Little League washout in New England.  He wasn't any of those things, so maybe that's what attracted me.

Thanks opening up my world, big, fun fella.

#8 curly2

• 2,707 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

When I was about 5 I got a pet turtle and named him George after the Boomer. When the Sox traded him, I adopted Rico Petrocelli as my favorite, and Rico was released just as the Boomer came back.

Many years after his retirement I met him briefly at an appearance he was making and he seemed like a very nice guy.

I don't remember the Impossible Dream (I was 2) but I know that while Yaz and Lonborg were the keys, it doesn't happen without the Boomer.

Rest in peace.

#9 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21,406 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

You know how I feel about my now late and great namesake.  I became his big fan when he won the triple crown in 1965 for my hometown AA Pittsfield Red Sox.  The rest is history that most of us old timers know about once he reached Boston.  I still remember his .303 BA and 27 taters (George invented this term) batting cleanup behind Yaz's own historic Impossible Dream triple crown season in 1967.  27 HRs were a lot in that relative dead ball era of the 1960's.  Righty George played many of his Pittsfield home games with delays where the setting sun went down below the leftfield power alley fence.  Wahconah Park had skewed Yankees Stadium type dimensions where it was at least 400 feet to the same power alley spot where the sun blinded hitters.  Every one of his pulled homers at home was a tape measure shot with those park dimensions.  RIP Boomer!

He did, didn't he. I was at Fenway for a day game when he hit one to dead center, over the bleachers and off the back wall, one of the longest ever at Fenway.

#10 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,351 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Well, shit. He had just released his book not too long ago. One of my ex-colleagues at the Falmouth Enterprise interviewed him this spring, and it's a great write-up.

long-taters.png

Like E5 Yaz, I used to see Boomer and his then-wife Lucky around Falmouth quite often in the late 70s. He'd show up at Guv Fuller Field to take in Falmouth Commodores games for a few innings, usually leaving after he'd been recognized by kids and harassed for autographs. He and his wife also co-owned the Love 15 Tennis Boutique, which is now a pet store (across Jones Road from Super Stop & Shop).

Lots of great memories of his two Sox stints, especially when he returned from the Brewers. Hated to see Cecil Cooper traded away, but man did Boomer hit some absolute bombs. 

Edited by mabrowndog, 29 July 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#11 scotian1

• SoSH Member

• 5,235 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

As a teenager in the early 60's, he was a favourite of mine also. Loved his glove work. Black Beauty (he made it seem like a living entity) was like a vacuum cleaner swallowing up ground balls and errand throws.

#12 fineyoungarm

• tweets about his subwoofer!

• 3,829 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

tonyc010.jpg

1967 - 11 days before the Jack Hamilton fastball.

#13 E5 Yaz

• 25,693 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

And now it's down to just two games,

at home against the Twins.

We must take both,

the Dream is through,

if Minnesota wins.

But the Dream's not through,

it's tied at 2,

C'mon, implore the fans,

and Scottie steps up to the plate

and belts one toward the stands

#14 Dalton Jones

• 1,365 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

He was the best defensive first baseman the Red Sox ever had. Some stat geek will probably prove me wrong, but I was there and saw it.  He was, without any doubt, the best fielding first baseman I've seen in a Red Sox uniform.   

#15 fineyoungarm

• 3,829 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

He was the best defensive first baseman the Red Sox ever had. Some stat geek will probably prove me wrong, but I was there and saw it.  He was, without any doubt, the best fielding first baseman I've seen in a Red Sox uniform.   

You don't have to convince me.  And I'll note something else, coming out of the Mississippi Delta in the 40's and 50's, as Scott did, and being so full of joy and damn good natured - not to be taken for granted.

My favorite player from my favorite season.

#16 LeoCarrillo

• Do his bits at your peril.

• 5,372 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

It was absolutely common in the late '70s for New England kids to wear little replica B batting helmets around (pre ear-flap). They had an adjustable, plastic tightener on the inside to keep it snug to your head. That was absolutely because of Scott, and his cool-as-hell practice of fielding in a batting helmet.

#17 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7,556 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

I think I've mentioned this before, but I have an uncle who always says, "The Boomer was the real Triple Crown winner in '67. But they gave it to Yaz because they didn't want to give it to a black guy." I emailed him today. He was bummed.

#18 fineyoungarm

• 3,829 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

george_scott.jpg

This is a pretty good way to remember him.

#19 fineyoungarm

• 3,829 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

I think I've mentioned this before, but I have an uncle who always says, "The Boomer was the real Triple Crown winner in '67. But they gave it to Yaz because they didn't want to give it to a black guy." I emailed him today. He was bummed.

You have and it cracks me up every time.

#20 mabrowndog

• 38,351 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Ron Anderson, who worked with George on the aforementioned Long Taters book, also profiled him for the SABR Biography Project.

#21 The Long Tater

• 1,823 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yep.  I remember very well hearing him describe in an interview how he loved to hit those "Loooooooong Taters."

He was a lot of fun to have on the team.

#22 fineyoungarm

• 3,829 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

And, of course, the legendary necklace made of second basemen's teeth.

#23 Skiponzo

• 894 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

I too grew up in the Pitts and remember Wahconah well.  I actually have a signed baseball my mom got for me from Scotty when he came into her bank one day while managing the Pittsfield Black Bears.  RIP George.

#24 mabrowndog

• 38,351 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

tonyc010.jpg

1967 - 11 days before the Jack Hamilton fastball.

What a great photo.

Seems Boomer liked to lean on his teammates. Here's Denny Doyle supporting his mass in '77:

48c7bfa5f2318_66095n.jpg

#25 jcaz

• 37 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

When I was growing up we spent all summer playing wiffle ball.  Mostly we used the thin yellow plastic bats.  But every now and then we'd get a giant red bat and hit tape measure home runs into my pool or off the garage.  We called that bat the "Boomer" bat.  RIP.

#26 mabrowndog

• 38,351 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

b372b16accf713dfb9fe6cdb8c3312b33f1a48ce golden_glove.jpg

art-rickerby-red-sox-players-reggie-smit c_yaz3_i.jpg

256rcr9.jpg

And one of the last photos taken of him. He'd really gotten massive in the last couple of decades.

4eff21f483e33.preview-300.jpg

#27 Section15Box113

• 3,530 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

And now it's down to just two games,

at home against the Twins.

We must take both,

the Dream is through,

if Minnesota wins.

But the Dream's not through,

it's tied at 2,

C'mon, implore the fans,

and Scottie steps up to the plate

and belts one toward the stands

I can still recite much of that in my sleep.

Just reading it here gave me chills.

RIP, Boomer.  Thanks for all the great memories.

#28 Norm Siebern

• 2,785 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Absolutely one of, if not my favorite Red Sox of all time.  This is truly sad news.

One of my favorite memories of the Boomer was sitting with my Granpa in the RF stands in 1968, and while all around me fans would start booing Scotty when he came to the plate with his sub .200 BA  that year, my Granpa would stand up and tell everybody to stop, because Scotty was a great player and would surely be out of his slump soon.

Here is to my Granpa welcoming Scotty to the Pearly Gates today. RIP George.

#29 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 6,020 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Absolutely one of, if not my favorite Red Sox of all time.  This is truly sad news.

One of my favorite memories of the Boomer was sitting with my Granpa in the RF stands in 1968, and while all around me fans would start booing Scotty when he came to the plate with his sub .200 BA  that year, my Granpa would stand up and tell everybody to stop, because Scotty was a great player and would surely be out of his slump soon.

Here is to my Granpa welcoming Scotty to the Pearly Gates today. RIP George.

Here you are, Norm, from the original "Win it For" thread: “Win it for my Granpa Harvey (1974) who would rise up from his seat along the right field line in the grandstand and defend Scotty from the boo birds, even if Boomer was only hitting .170 in 1968.  Win it for that seven-year-old kid who fell in love with a game and a team that long ago magical summer of 1967.  And for that eighteen-year-old young man who sat in the left field grandstands and watched a little popup hit by Bucky “Bleeping” Dent nestle into the screen on October 2, 1978.”  

#30 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 6,020 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

My Mom died in 2005, but for some reason, I just got teary. I guess it's because she always referred to him as Scotty as if he were a next door neighbor.

#31 Cumberland Blues

• 4,181 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

It was absolutely common in the late '70s for New England kids to wear little replica B batting helmets around (pre ear-flap). They had an adjustable, plastic tightener on the inside to keep it snug to your head. That was absolutely because of Scott, and his cool-as-hell practice of fielding in a batting helmet.

Yep.  I came *this* close to catching a George Scott foul ball in my George Scott replica helmet at my first ever game at Fenway - my arm was about 2 inches too short.  And is there any little leaguer from that era who didn't get yelled at by their coach for trying to imitate Boomer's snatch on a short hop at 1B?

#32 E5 Yaz

• 25,693 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

He just had so much "fun" playing baseball. I remember one game where, as they took the field for an inning, he went out to second base and Dou Griffin went to first, and they did the infield warmup that way.

And of course, the outfield collision game where the Sox lost two guys on one ball, but the stadium only had one stretcher available and Boomer carried Rick Miller in from the outfield. Still have that Globe pic somewhere

#33 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 9,114 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

He was a big enough presence as I was growing up that I assumed the actor George C. Scott used his middle initial to differentiate himself from The Boomer.

RIP, George.

#34 scotian1

• SoSH Member

• 5,235 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Boomer's interview with Michael Holley on WEEI from last year.

http://audio.weei.co...oomer-scott.htm

#35 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,520 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

He was my favorite player in 1966, when I couldn't pronounce Yastrzemski, so he was my first favorite Red Sox player.

#36 Lose Remerswaal

• 22,520 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

He was a big enough presence as I was growing up that I assumed the actor George C. Scott used his middle initial to differentiate himself from The Boomer.

RIP, George.

This is true.  I have "known" this for 40+ years so it must be.

#37 54thMA

• 1,653 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

What a shame; him, Yaz and Rico were my three favorite players growing up.

I played ball in the Boston Park League/Yawkey League and the Boomer was the manager of one of the teams. During the all star game one year, I doubled and he was coaching third; he called a time out and waved me over to give me instructions. I don't remember one word he said, all I remember is the Boomer, one of my boyhood hero's, was standing there talking to ME, talk about starstruck.

I'll remember that moment til the day they drop me in the ground.

R.I.P. George, we'll meet again some day and go over those instructions once again.

#38 KillerBs

• 506 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

Kinda wish the Boomah would got a shot in on that chickensh** Martinez.

#39 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9,850 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

RIP Frank Castillo

EL PASO, Texas - Frank Castillo, a former standout pitcher for Eastwood High School who played in the major leagues for 13 years, has died.

He was 44.

Castillo drowned in Bartlett Lake in Arizona near his home Sunday afternoon.

Authorities say divers are going back into the water today to look for his body and say Castillo was on a pontoon boat with a friend when he decided to go swimming.

Castillo's friend reportedly called for help when Castillo did not come back up out of the water.

http://www.kvia.com/...yg/-/index.html

#40 drtooth

• 2:30

• 9,165 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Hilarious watching Dennis Martinez running for his life.

#41 Lose Remerswaal

• 22,520 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

RIP Frank Castillo

Not the Lieutenant, too! 

#42 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6,445 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

RIP to the real Boomer.

I was thrilled to get an autographed picture in the mail from him when I was 13 or so. Just mailed the Red Sox out of the blue, as I recall. (Wish I could put my hands on it now, I'd scan it.)

#43 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21,406 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

So, George got #15 when he came back from the Brewers because Denny Doyle and some others were wearing #5. George got it back again when Doyle left. 

#44 strek1

• SoSH Member

• 6,717 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

And, of course, the legendary necklace made of second basemen's teeth.

I remember that too.  That was so funny.  Will miss the big guy.

#45 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,610 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Does anyone have a clip of George snagging a hot grounder and sliding into the 1B bag to avoid colliding with the batter? What a fielder and what a character!

Bless you, Boomer.

#46 KillerBs

• 506 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

A little context on the bean ball -- which hit George! -- that sparked the brawl above. 

It came the near the end of a week or so when George was at his pinnacle. Boomer hit 8 HRs in 8 days between June 14 and June 22, including 3 in a memorable ass kicking of the Yanks. The victims of these Boomer taters included Steve Stone, Catfish Hunter, Mike Torrez (before he sucked), Ed Figueroa, Dennis Martinez and Jim Palmer. This left him leading the league in HRs with 20 after 64 games.

#47 Norm Siebern

• 2,785 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

What a shame; him, Yaz and Rico were my three favorite players growing up.

I played ball in the Boston Park League/Yawkey League and the Boomer was the manager of one of the teams. During the all star game one year, I doubled and he was coaching third; he called a time out and waved me over to give me instructions. I don't remember one word he said, all I remember is the Boomer, one of my boyhood hero's, was standing there talking to ME, talk about starstruck.

I'll remember that moment til the day they drop me in the ground.

R.I.P. George, we'll meet again some day and go over those instructions once again.

That's a fantastic story. Good on 'ya 54th.

When I was a student at BU in the spring of 1980, for part of my morning run I would go around the ballpark. One morning as I was huffing and puffing along, up ahead I saw this large figure running in the same direction as myself, all decked out in grey sweat gear, with a rubberized shirt sticking out from underneath the sweatshirt. I thought I recognized his gait, and couldn't believe my luck. Sure enough as I sped up to catch him, I saw it was George Scott, who was attempting a comeback at that time. I'm a lousy runner, so out of breath as I was, I simply nodded and smiled as I ran along with him. He nodded snd smiled that big grin of his back. Gasping for breath, I told him "good luck." He smiled back and in his high pitched voice said thanks.

I timed my morning runs the rest of the spring so that I would fall in with Scotty at about the same time each morning, hoping he was out there. For most of the time, he was.

I hope he knew how much joy he brought to so many people.

#48 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1,052 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

This is a shame. I remember seeing him in an old timers game still hitting balls into the net.

#49 fineyoungarm

• 3,829 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

This is true.  I have "known" this for 40+ years so it must be.

Reliable sources have long reported that the late, great actor executed an affidavit stating just this. To date, attempts to locate the precious document have proven unsuccesful.

#50 fineyoungarm

• 3,829 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

boomerscott717.JPG

This is the "semi famous" card of Scott after he came back to the Red Sox from the Brewers.

As you can see the helmet is photoshopped - the original being Milwaukee gear.

However, those are the actual teeth of second basemen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users