Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Gammo tweets; Ciriaco to Padres for PTBNL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 mdipalma78

• 96 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Good for Pedro Ciriaco being traded to Padres for prbnl

Dopes, please move/merge if this isn't thread-worthy.

Edit: Embedding tweets is wicked hard

Edited by mdipalma78, 14 June 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#2 Koufax

• 1,909 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

Great result for Pedro, who deserves to be in the majors, and a good result for the Sox assuming that the PTBNL is a recent draft pick with some upside but lots of risk.

#3 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Great result for Pedro, who deserves to be in the majors, and a good result for the Sox assuming that the PTBNL is a recent draft pick with some upside but lots of risk.

I wouldn't expect anything close to that.

#4 Cumberland Blues

• 4,195 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

I wouldn't expect anything close to that.

Agreed.  I'd be happy if whoever they get has the upside of a chance to grow up to be Pedro Ciriaco.

#5 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,698 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Right, the phrase "bag of balls" comes to mind here. I mean, this is a guy who has had trouble holding onto a major league job even as a utility infielder. He can't hit except in occasional streaks of singles. His only asset is that he can play multiple infield positions, but he plays none of them well. He's a AAAA guy. I would be pleasantly shocked if we get anything for him that wouldn't fall under the category of "organizational player."

#6 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,298 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I don't enjoy it when former Red Sox players, particularly magrinal ones, get big hits against the Red Sox.  It annoys me greatly, in fact.  Brandon Moss and David Murphy, I'm looking at you. 

So the fact that Ciriaco is in the NL makes this a win.  If the Sox reap any additional benefits from the PTBNL, so much the better.

Ciriaco was quite likeable and more effective in Boston than anyone could have reasonably hoped for.  Here's to him getting a shot to contriubte to the Daddys.

#7 mdipalma78

• 96 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Right, the phrase "bag of balls" comes to mind here. I mean, this is a guy who has had trouble holding onto a major league job even as a utility infielder. He can't hit except in occasional streaks of singles. His only asset is that he can play multiple infield positions, but he plays none of them well. He's a AAAA guy. I would be pleasantly shocked if we get anything for him that wouldn't fall under the category of "organizational player."

My guess is that they'd be happy if they get a guy that has options and might be able to ride the shuttle for a year or two, and not necessarily this year or next. If the guy doesn't develop and never makes it past AA, so be it...

#8 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,406 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

415 / 436 / 566 in 56 career PA's against the MFY.

For reference, Manny's career line against them was 322 / 413 / 617.

Good luck, Pedro.

#9 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 4,089 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

The giraffes at the San Diego Zoo have a new favorite ballplayer.

Thanks for your tormenting the MFY, Pedro.

Edit:  maybe the Sox will get a corresponding AAAA pitcher to add to the Pawtucket/Boston shuttle.

Edited by Mugsys Jock, 14 June 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#10 TimNJsoxfan

• 2,221 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

I don't enjoy it when former Red Sox players, particularly magrinal ones, get big hits against the Red Sox.  It annoys me greatly, in fact. 

The Padres come to Boston first week in July.  Prepare to be annoyed.

#11 DanoooME

• SoSH Member

• 6,689 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

As for the PTBNL, it will probably be someone off the 40-man, because I think the spot is more valuable than anyone they'd realistically pick up in a trade.  Yes, I know they already used his spot, but then who do they get rid of if they do pick up someone that has to go on the 40?  It'll be a lottery ticket at best, or they'll wait until after the season to decide who it's going to be.

#12 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13,766 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

As long as wasn't traded in the AL I am all good with it for "Pedro the Padre"!

#13 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10,626 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

The PTBNL is often used to ensure that the trade was fair for both clubs.  If Pedro does really well, we'll get a better player back.  If he's sent back to the minors, or cut, in short order, then we'll get back a much less valuable player.  So, let's hope Pedro does well.  I think he's a valuable 25th player on a ML roster because he can adequately back up just about any position, he can be used as a late-inning defensive sub, a pinch-hitter, a pinch-runner, or even start for a while if a starter gets put on the DL.  A nice guy to have around.

#14 AZBlue

• 1,547 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

PTBNL is also a device that could allow San Diego to trade a player to Boston later in the summer who is not now eligible to be traded such as a draft choices in 2012 first year player draft cannot be traded for one year after the signing date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users