Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Crawford on the Boston Media

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

#1 glennhoffmania

• Miracle Whipper

• 8382938 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Better suited for another forum?

Link

He knows now he never should have gone there, knows now that signing that $142 million, seven-year contract was a mistake. He knows it now, and he admits now he knew it almost immediately.

"I think that's the truth," Crawford said. "It just wasn't the right place for me at the end of my day. I didn't do my homework. Maybe they didn't, either.

"At the end of the day, it just wasn't the place for me."

"That smile turned upside down quick," Crawford said. "I think they want to see that in Boston. They love it when you're miserable.

"Burying people in the media, they think that makes a person play better. That media was the worst thing I've ever experienced in my life."

"I took so much of a beating in Boston, I don't think anything could bother me anymore," he said. "They can say what they want -- that I'm the worst free agent ever -- and it won't get to me. But it bothered me the whole time there.

"Look how they treat [John] Lackey. Adrian [Gonzalez] hit 30 home runs (actually 27), and they talked about him not hitting home runs."

Crawford felt like he stopped smiling after one game of his Boston career, and didn't start again until he left.

#2 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20519 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Better suited for another forum?

Link

Tell him to ask Barry Zito how he was treated for just about all of his SF career except for last year. Now I have more reason to dislike the Dodgers. F Crawford. 

#3 brs3

• sings praises of pinstripes

• 3522 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

"That smile turned upside down quick," Crawford said. "I think they want
to see that in Boston. They love it when you're miserable.

Does "BOOOOOOO" from the stands really translate into this? He must have listened to talk radio as well? Honestly, I think this idea is made up in his mind with the help of people saying Boston is a tough market to play in.

#4 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7048 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

He got off easy given his salary and lack of production. He got a lot of rope from both fans and media.  Lackey, no.  If he puts himself in that category then he is delusional.

#5 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20007 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

I would have a hard time being mad at somebody who judged me as being worth $142 million, but he's not wrong about it being an awful fit. I actually thought that the media gave him a bit of a pass when it came to muffing the final out of the collapse. 

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 07 March 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#6 Seels

• 1480 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Lol boo hoo. You were fucking terrible and injured Carl. I think fans had a right to be a little upset at a guy with sub .300 obp and bad defense roaming the most historic LF in baseball.

#7 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5703 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

CC was a bad fit for Boston and his agent should have kept him away, regardless of Boston outbidding the Angels for his services. CC took the highest money instead of thinking through the process and finding the best place for his game and personality.

A lot of athletes get used to the adoration and aren't ready for the cynicism that cities like NY, Philly, Boston and Chicago provide. Crawford grew up in Houston as a two-sport star, rose quickly through the minors, and then played for Tampa Bay where he was the hope for the future, the one shining light in those early years.

If he continues to suck in LA, and the Dodgers underachieve, maybe the LA media will rip him. They could be getting testy after a rare off-year by the Lakers.

#8 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 16769 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

When you play bad in a market that gives a crap, you get booed.

When you play good in a market that gives a crap, you get cheered.

Not too difficult to figure out, Carl. Maybe you should have tried not being bad.

#9 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11174 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

I agree that it really seemed like the fans bent over backward not to go negative on him too quickly. The press, maybe not so much; I'm going light on Boston sports media these days.

I think in the end, it's fair to say that Carl comes across as a bit of a thin-skinned sort, and that's just never, ever gonna play here. Sounds like he thinks so too. Onward and upward; he's not our problem any more, and vice versa.

#10 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6251 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

Considering how the media harped on the amount of his contract - just in the first month or so of the 2011 season - you'd have thought "$142 million" was actually part of his name. Crawford did himself no favors by not paying well, but the constant reference to his paycheck certainly threw a bunch of chum into the waters.

Peter Abraham led the pack. He must have had "$142 million left fielder" on AutoCorrect:

February 18, 2011: [Cameron] got on the telephone and tried to sell Crawford on Boston. ... Cameron's pitch, along with $142 million from the team, helped Crawford decide.

March 30, 2011: Carl Crawford seems to be pressing a bit. That he has hit .208 in spring training is no big deal. But he seems to be attacking every ball with the intent of proving he's worth $142 million instead of just playing.

April 4, 2011: Crawford seemed to be carrying the expectations of his $142 million contract with him to the plate.

April 6, 2011: Their frustration is personified by $142 million left fielder Carl Crawford, who has two hits in 15 at-bats and has yet to score a run as a member of the Red Sox.

April 16, 2011: Carl Crawford, their $142 million left fielder, was 0 for 5. He is down to .137 and looks desperately in need of a day off.

April 17, 2011: The $142 million left fielder watched the Sox’ 4-1 win over the Blue Jays from the bench.

April 17, 2011: [H]e looks lost at the plate right now, unable to get the ball out of the infield today and inexplicably bunting right at the pitcher. It's hard to feel sorry for a guy making that kind of money.

April 21, 2011: Middle of the 6th: Red Sox 2, Angels 0 -- ... The Red Sox then had $142 million left fielder Carl Crawford bunt ...

April 30, 2011: The $142 million left fielder was on the bench for the second time in 13 games last night ...

But Abraham was by no means alone:

Dan Shaughnessy, Globe, April 1, 2011: ... and woe is the $142 million free agent who is slow out of the gate.

Nick Cafardo, Globe, April 2, 2011: Carl Crawford, $142 million man, No. 3 hitter in the Boston lineup, left fielder extraordinaire, one of the fastest men in baseball — and, oh yeah, 0 for 4 with three strikeouts and five runners left on base yesterday in his Boston debut ...

Dan Shaughnessy, Globe, April 4, 2011: Carl Crawford, your new free agent left fielder ... We could make a point about the notion of paying a guy $142 million to bat seventh, but we don't want to make things awkward.

Bob Hohler, Globe, April 8, 2011: ... and the new $142 million left fielder, Carl Crawford, batting .174 and scoring one run in six games.

Brian MacPherson, Providence Journal, April 11, 2001: Carl Crawford wasn't so lucky. The $142 million left fielder went hitless in five at-bats, and his batting average sank to .132.

Michael Vega, Globe, April 13, 2011: "Yes, it's a lit­tle shocking," said Carl Crawford, the $142 million left field­er and leadoff hitter ...

Michael Vega, Globe, April 16, 2011: No one seemed more frustrated than Crawford, who has yet to live up to the billing when he was signed to a seven-year, $142 million contract in December.

Nick Cafardo, Globe, April 17, 2011: It's hard to evaluate the signings this early ... But was eight years, $142 million too much for Crawford?

Scott Lauber, Boston Herald, April 20, 2011: On Tuesday, Crawford's longtime hitting instructor in Houston told the Herald that the Red Sox' $142 million left fielder was rushing his stride and his swing ...

Dan Shaughnessy, Globe, April 24, 2011: He's certainly the first $142 million No. 8 hitter in baseball history ...

Nick Cafardo, Globe, April 24, 2011: Can you blame a guy for taking $142 million from the Red Sox?

Links to all stories (if they still work) are here:

http://joyofsox.blog...ord-is-142.html

#11 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27849 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Those references are made for every highly paid player; from Pedro to Manny to Crawford. It's part of the responsibility that comes with making 20 million per. Instead of embracing the challenge, Carl crumbled and let it get inside his head. His complete ineptitude at all facets of the game was pretty mind boggling; and the fact that he's blaming the fans, the media, Christ, he sounds like Bobby Valentine. Take responsibility for playing terribly, and move on. We have.

#12 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 2808 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

Crawford is thin skinned, should never have signed here, and shouldn't be crying about it right now- he needs to stfu and move on.

That said, it's simply a fact that the majority of Boston sports media considers themselves part of the story and are generally a vindictive and bitter group of individuals who revel in making athletes miserable and stirring up shit. I think this causes a lot of fans to follow this lead and act like they haven't just witnessed an unprecedented run of sports success, but rather are a long suffering group of martyrs.  

#13 glennhoffmania

• Miracle Whipper

• 8382938 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

This is the part that annoyed me:

"They can say what they want -- that I'm the worst free agent ever -- and it won't get to me. But it bothered me the whole time there."

So which is it?  It won't get to him, or it bothered him the whole time he was there?

Edited by glennhoffmania, 07 March 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#14 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11174 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

This is the part that annoyed me:

"They can say what they want -- that I'm the worst free agent ever -- and it won't get to me. But it bothered me the whole time there."

So which is it?  It won't get to him, or it bothered him the whole time he was there?

"They can say what they want and it won't get to me" is the kind of sentence that is almost never spoken by someone who really means it. 

#15 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 9995 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I am a bit amazed at the chafing going on here.  The guy essentially admits that both sides made a mistake.  Its true.  He also states that the media exacerbated things, which is also true.   Oh, the horror!

However, unless I am missing something, the guy never dogged it and its hard to begrudge an athlete taking top dollar to play with what was then perceived to be a championship contender.  

Frankly, I wish that it had worked out for both Crawford and Gonzalez.  If the former can get healthy, I think they both will be effective players for the Dodgers.

And in response to Al Zarilla, while Zito has taken quite a bit of flack in San Francisco, the media and fans are considerably more forgiving than their counterparts in Boston and other northeast cities.    The criticism that Zito received over the years would almost be considered praise in those places.

#16 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20519 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

I am a bit amazed at the chafing going on here.  The guy essentially admits that both sides made a mistake.  Its true.  He also states that the media exacerbated things, which is also true.   Oh, the horror!

However, unless I am missing something, the guy never dogged it and its hard to begrudge an athlete taking top dollar to play with what was then perceived to be a championship contender.  

Frankly, I wish that it had worked out for both Crawford and Gonzalez.  If the former can get healthy, I think they both will be effective players for the Dodgers.

And in response to Al Zarilla, while Zito has taken quite a bit of flack in San Francisco, the media and fans are considerably more forgiving than their counterparts in Boston and other northeast cities.    The criticism that Zito received over the years would almost be considered praise in those places.

OK, with Zito, I never heard him called rubbish or anything like that, but message boards, talk radio callers and even hosts had plenty of "I'd gladly drive him to the airport if they'd just get rid of him" talk over the years. Heck, I'm from Boston, but I always pulled for the guy and defended him vs. lots of SF fans I've run into. He seems like a good guy, does great background work for disabled vets, etc., and always seemed in shape and doing his best. Still, I heard him get plenty of ripping out here. 

#17 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13510 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

I am on record as being the most virulent Crawford hater when he was here, but this is a nonstory. They asked him and he repeated his thoughts. He should be smart enough to be quiet but he isn't. Big deal. An athlete has to believe in himself to play. Carl can't tell himself he sucks and can no no longer play. If there is a bit of fiction to his mental prep, that is his problem and does not concern us anymore.

Edited by reggiecleveland, 07 March 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#18 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 12533 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Enough already.  It is a non story.  He ain't with us and we don't owe him anything else so move on.  We got far more important things to think about and discuss.

#19 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7694 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

I remember getting this feeling that I never believed him once when he said he was enjoying his time here, etc.  I mean eventually it got so that he'd have to have been insane to be happy in that situation, but when I read this:

I don't believe it. "I had a real rough time with it, but now I stopped caring and they can say anything."  Uh uh.  He's got rabbit ears.  You can tell he's still bothered by it, he's framing himself as being embattled all the time, even since leaving Boston.  Like he still sees the contract as an albatross.  I've always thought most people found his struggles so extreme that it was hard to get on him too hard; he was playing so bad that it was almost reassuring, that it didn't make sense and that he'd come around.  Ultimately I don't think he ever got it that bad from any corner (media, fans, FO, etc), but easy for me to say obviously.

Bummer.  I still think if a few things had gone right for him to start he could have had a nice career here, but even considering that, so so glad that money's gone.

Edited by JohntheBaptist, 07 March 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#20 BoSox Rule

• 1418 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

It's the media's fault that he didn't succeed, not injuries. He'll probably stay healthy in LA. Wait he's hurt right now.

#21 jose melendez

• Earl of Acie

• 12621 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

I liked Carl Crawford and continue to like him.  And if he thinks the fans were rooting for him to fail, he's dead wrong.  If he'd been just the guy he was in Tampa, much less the guy they projected him to be, he would have been incredibly popular here.  His problem was that he underachieved on an entire team of under achievers.

He's right that the media likes writing about his failure, but that's true every where where people actually care.  If you don't perform while getting big dough, you'll take heat.

#22 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5374 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Carl just doesnt get it.  As you progress further in professional sports your responsibility and what you have to accept changes.  In little league everyone gets to play and the crowd cant boo.  College is all about winning, you earn your playing time and expect some boos.  As a pro its all about winning with little concern for your feelings.

If you take a deal to be one of the top 20 most valuable contracts in baseball ever, yes the weight of the world is being put on your shoulders.  Fair or unfair, if you arent producing no one is going to be building a statue for you.  It seems Carl didnt grasp this before he signed.

#23 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7514 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

People really think he didn't grasp his responsibility? It seemed to me more like he was emotionally stifled by it as soon as anything went wrong. 

And the press has a bit to do with that. 

#24 curly2

• 2669 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

I hardly ever hear Boston talk radio (thank God) but I think the media and the fans took it easy on Crawford. A couple of times in 2011 he got walk-off hits, and instead of saying "Why hasn't he been doing this all along," the stories were more along the lines of "Maybe this will be the start of something big for Crawford."

He said the smile went off his face after one game with the Red Sox. That one game was in Texas, so he hadn't been booed in Fenway, and I don't think he was killed in the media for going hitless on Opening Day.

#25 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5374 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

People really think he didn't grasp his responsibility? It seemed to me more like he was emotionally stifled by it as soon as anything went wrong. 

Feeling and understanding the responsibility are two different things.  He certainly felt it, but if you understand the responsibility you dont blame others.  You say the media deserves to say whatever they want because at $20M salary you signed up to help save the franchise.  Brady doesnt say the criticism of his play in the playoffs bothers him, instead he says he didnt get it done, thats understanding the responsibility.

#26 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 9929 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Enough already.  It is a non story.  He ain't with us and we don't owe him anything else so move on.  We got far more important things to think about and discuss.

It's almost like you have a gun to your head, forcing you to click, read, and reply.

#27 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 21951 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Part of me is thinking "screw you CC, good riddance.".

Another part of me is thinking "he played injured a ton last year because the team asked him to... Let it go.".

I am glad his contract is off our books, but wish him well.

Also, someone should tell him that the one thing carping about the Boston Media does more than any other is make those reporters get wood. Kill em with kindness, Carl.

#28 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25841 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Also, someone should tell him that the one thing carping about the Boston Media does more than any other is make those reporters get wood. Kill em with kindness, Carl.

Or, you know, blunt objects. The Boston sports media is an execrable cesspit of vileness with a few little sparkles of human decency in there more or less by accident.

#29 MakMan44

• SoSH Member

• 12236 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Crawford can say what he wants about the media because, quite frankly, he's probably right.

However I'm disappointed he blamed the fans in any way for his misery. I don't know if he was so used to Rays fans not giving a shit and it surprised him how much Boston fans care (which it shouldn't) but at the end of the day we just wanted him to play well. I'm sad because I really think that he could've had a good career here, I mean a Ells CC Pedey 1-3 still sounds pretty awesome. Still I can't fully blame the guy, he played injured when asked and at the end of day it just wasn't fit.

#30 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 7979 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

It's always easier to point the finger.  Crawford sucked ass in Boston and and thank you Magic for taking this piece of crap off of our hands.  Really, which free agent contract in baseball history was dumber? 

#31 MakMan44

• SoSH Member

• 12236 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

It's always easier to point the finger.  Crawford sucked ass in Boston and and thank you Magic for taking this piece of crap off of our hands.  Really, which free agent contract in baseball history was dumber? 

ARod and it's not even close

#32 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12218 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

Put me in the "he's not wrong, but fuck him anyways" camp.

#33 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13510 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

Arod has put up 17.4 in WAR since he signed and plays for a team that has never shown the slightest inkling salaries matter. At the time of the signing he had been a good player in NY, won an MVP the year before. Douche that he is he is twice the player Crawford ever was. He doesn't seem likely to collect much of his 660+ homer bonus, unless he becomes a good player again. If you arguing Arod's contract is worse going forward then maybe, but giving no walk crawford that cash after one year we actually hit was a worse decision than a standard Yankee overpay for the MVP. As bad as Arod hit last year Crawford has only put up onw year in his career that is markedly better at the plate than Arod's suckiest year.

CC has yet to be an average player or be healthy.

Edited by reggiecleveland, 08 March 2013 - 12:58 AM.

#34 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8586 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

A-Rod at least helped the Yankees win a World Series. His contract going forward is arguably the worst in baseball, but over the full lengths of the deals, Crawford's was worse.

#35 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 7168 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

I hardly ever hear Boston talk radio (thank God) but I think the media and the fans took it easy on Crawford. A couple of times in 2011 he got walk-off hits, and instead of saying "Why hasn't he been doing this all along," the stories were more along the lines of "Maybe this will be the start of something big for Crawford."

Coco Crisp had a very similar experience in Boston, I think, albeit with nowhere near the pressure or expectations. Every time he got hot, something would go wrong -- injury, All Star Break, etc. For guys who are sensitive, the vicious cycle of bad breaks and poor performance can create a bitterness and resentment that is virtually impossible to shed once it takes hold.

My guess is that if Crawford is saying this sort of stuff now, the team must have been absolutely horrified by his attitude behind closed doors.

#36 geoduck no quahog

• SoSH Member

• 5352 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

How much money an athlete makes should never be part of the story. Both sides (agent and owner) go into a deal with eyes wide open and agree to a figure that both can accommodate. That has nothing to do with the athlete (or any employee).

What an athlete (or actor, or astronaut, or artist) says in public is irrelevant. These are not ambassadors. Give the guy a break. He didn't rape your daughter.

Shouldn't this thread be in the "Oprah" forum?

#37 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 17654 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

That article just shows the personalty of good ol' PeteAbe.  Thin skinned and easy to deny any wrong doing.  When did the Globe become so bad?

#38 esfr

• 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Carl's hyperbolic statements aside how and why would anyone deny that in truth Boston is one of the 2 most difficult media cultures in sports - only the Philly press is close.  Most towns separate the business of sports and performance on the field.  Boston is unique in that performance is judged almost entirely by value in context of pay.  The quotes above are exhibit A. And its not just guys who suck, it's Tom Brady or Wes Welker!  No other sports media i've seen focuses as much on $ side of performance - in that sense i don't think there is a worse place to play under a big contract.  For Carl to say he didn't do his homework is dishonest, but for Sox management to not do theirs is inexcusable.

#39 opes

• Doctor Tongue

• 3132 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

This has lol boo hoo written all over it.  You get paid an enormous contract to preform, and you start sucking ass immediately?  The reason he got poured on is because he didnt even live up to his average line.  People saying bad things makes you feel bad?  Suck it up, you're a grown man.

#40 drtooth

• 2:30

• 9008 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

Keep in mind that Crawford came from an environment where there were basically 2 writers covering the team full-time and they had a hard time drawing 15,000 the year after winning the AL.  He wasn't exactly prepared for this type of atmosphere.

#41 yecul

• appreciates irony very much

• 14216 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Zito is a poor comp. If Boston won a couple World Series while carrying Crawford's corpse then it wouldn't be such a bother. After day one when Crawford realized he'd made a mistake he should have approached the team to get out of his contract. Since both sides realize it was a mistake then surely they would have accomodated him. Wait... what... he wouldn't want to nix a 140m payday? Odd. Yeah, this stuff happens all the time. Crawford's ego won't allow him to bear responsibility for catching flack. He played like crap and was off the field a lot. If you can't "get it" based on those factors and what you are getting paid, then I don't know what to say. I don't hold any ill will toward him. It was a dumb decision and who can blame anyone for taking an overpayment? Not his fault Boston has their head up their ass for a number of years. It'll be interesting to see how he performs going forward outside Boston. I think he will have success. Not enough to justify his contract, but a roomier field to take advantage of his defense and speed, sure, he'll produce.

#42 jose melendez

• Earl of Acie

• 12621 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

I don't know, Julio Lugo was the starting SS for a World Series, and he's still not real popular

#43 geoduck no quahog

• SoSH Member

• 5352 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

Can we agree there are very few reasons to personally criticize a player?

1. Out of shape

2. Doesn't care about winning

3. Clubhouse pariah

4. Doesn't play hurt

5. Skewers and eats kittens

...or if they make a squirrely face on the mound while pitching hurt.

What am I missing?

#44 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2651 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

What kills me is:  didn't we read how the Sox completely vetted Crawford and had private eyes follow him for at least a few months of his final season in Tampa?  And only then did they determine that he was exactly the kind of player who could survive the Boston sports pressure cooker?  IIRC there was even a quote from Crawford regarding being tailed for that long; I think the phrase was 'creeped out' by it.

Edited by Omar's Wacky Neighbor, 08 March 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#45 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13510 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

I don't know, Julio Lugo was the starting SS for a World Series, and he's still not real popular

Bellhorn and Foulke were post season heroes and still got booed out of town too.

#46 foulkehampshire

• hillbilly suburbanite

• 2999 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Bellhorn and Foulke were post season heroes and still got booed out of town too.

Bellhorn just flat out sucked, he needed to go.

#47 joe dokes

• 2815 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

That's my take as well. When was the last time a player even came close to saying "I made a mistake" in a situation like this? That he added other factors also doesn't change that.

#48 crystalline

• 2085 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Carl got one thing definitely wrong.

"That smile turned upside down quick," Crawford said. "I think
they want to see that in Boston. They love it when you're miserable.

"Burying
people in the media, they think that makes a person play better.
That
media was the worst thing I've ever experienced in my life."

No, they don't think it makes a person play better -- in fact they might think it makes a person play worse.

But they're doing it because they're worried about their career, and burying people in the media is seen as a way to drive traffic and eyes and sell papers.  It's a much more cynical operation than Crawford lets on.

#49 MakMan44

• SoSH Member

• 12236 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Arod has put up 17.4 in WAR since he signed and plays for a team that has never shown the slightest inkling salaries matter. At the time of the signing he had been a good player in NY, won an MVP the year before. Douche that he is he is twice the player Crawford ever was. He doesn't seem likely to collect much of his 660+ homer bonus, unless he becomes a good player again. If you arguing Arod's contract is worse going forward then maybe, but giving no walk crawford that cash after one year we actually hit was a worse decision than a standard Yankee overpay for the MVP. As bad as Arod hit last year Crawford has only put up onw year in his career that is markedly better at the plate than Arod's suckiest year.

CC has yet to be an average player or be healthy.

A-Rod at least helped the Yankees win a World Series. His contract going forward is arguably the worst in baseball, but over the full lengths of the deals, Crawford's was worse.

I still think ARod's was worse at the time of signing. The whole world knew that deal was going to be terrible but the Crawford one has a decent chance of working out ok. Hindsight is 20-20 and I really don't see how CC's deal could've been any worse (outside of the Sox continuing to pay him) but I'd take CC's deal over ARod's every day of the week. 

#50 JimD

• 4514 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

What kills me is:  didn't we read how the Sox completely vetted Crawford and had private eyes follow him for at least a few months of his final season in Tampa?  And only then did they determine that he was exactly the kind of player who could survive the Boston sports pressure cooker?  IIRC there was even a quote from Crawford regarding being tailed for that long; I think the phrase was 'creeped out' by it.

Either the FO hired the worst private eyes in America to tail him, or the staffers who put the results of this vetting together told Theo and the owners what they wanted to hear.  Maybe both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users