Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Spring 2013 and Middlebrooks' Wrist

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#1 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,402 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

I tuned into tonight's game vs the Orioles a little late, so I missed the play that prompted the following tweets:

Middlebrooks just came out of game after checked swing in 1st May have hurt right wrist, same one he fractured last season. Will update

Obviously just a guess right now. But the way Middlebrooks threw his helmet and was holding his hand sure didn't look good

As Middlebrooks left dugout and entered tunnel into clubhouse, he was heard screaming an expletive that can easily be guessed at #Redsox

The wrist injury was last August 10. While I wouldn't want to rush to judgment until we hear a diagnosis, the bottom line is there's a really short list when it comes to 3B depth:

Pedro Ciriaco - 37 career MLB games at 3B out of 107 total (35 last year w. BOS), plus 4 of 815 total in the minors (3 last year with the PawSox). On 40-man roster.

Mauro Gomez - 9 of 25 MLB games at 3B (all last year w. BOS), plus 79 of 812 total in the minors (8 last year w. PawSox). On 40-man roster.

Drew Sutton - 22 career MLB games at 3B out of 128 total (11 last year w. TBR, 8 in 2011 w. BOS), plus 154 of 811 total in the minors (7 last year w. PIT/ARL systems, 9 w. PawSox in 2011). Not on 40-man roster.

Justin Henry - Has never played in majors. 60 career games at 3B out of 667 total (37 last year w. AAA Toledo). Not on 40-man roster.

Brock Holt - On 40-man roster. Has never played 3B as a pro.

Looks like it would be Ciriaco by default. Gomez would be an utter disaster there.

I'm hoping this doesn't evolve into a "Should Bogaerts get a shot??" debate, considering he's never played the position prior to this spring, and further considering he's still a prospect who's never faced the type of breaking balls he'll be seeing in AAA, let alone the majors.

Edited by mabrowndog, 27 February 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#2 MakMan44

• stole corsi's dream

• 13,632 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

The 3rd base FA market was terrible this offseason and it certainly isn't any better this late. If he really is injured, I would think a trade for a stop gap (if it's going to be any serious length of time) would be the best option 

#3 mabrowndog

• 38,402 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Per NESN, Red Sox announced he has "a sore right wrist".

I'm convinced they're being intentionally obtuse as to the exact nature of the injury and its severity. This "explanation" doesn't really jibe with the reactions reported above. Can anyone who saw the check swing chime in?

Edited by mabrowndog, 27 February 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#4 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I didn't see it, but check-swing wrist injuries always make me worry about the ECU tendon - same as Batista last year.

And that ain't good.

#5 greek_gawd_of_walks

• SoSH Member

• 5,264 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have visions of Nomar's tortured wrist.

#6 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I have visions of Nomar's tortured wrist.

That was the ECU tendon, too

#7 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,165 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

I didn't see it, but check-swing wrist injuries always make me worry about the ECU tendon - same as Batista last year.

And that ain't good.

It wasn't really a checked swing. He swung, dropped the bat and walked over to the trainer then slammed his helmet and went back to the clubhouse and, presumably, to a medical facility.

I'll be surprised if this isn't a months long injury with lingering sapped power.

In short, we're fucked.

#8 Jordu

• 2,029 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Results of quick Googling:

http://www.wheelesso...r_carpi_ulnaris

Dislocation of ECU Tendon
- recurrent subluxation of ECU tendon is characterized by painful "snap" over ulnodorsal aspect of wrist, particularly on forearm rotation;
- ECU retinaculum can rupture and the tendon can leave its sheath;
- this condition may be confused w/ recurrent subluxation of distal radioulnar joint;
- on supination w/ wrist-ulnar deviation, tendon displaces (leaves its sheath), often w/ audible snap, when moved in the ulnar and palmar directions;
- on pronation, it relocates into its normal sulcus;
- closed treatment by immobilization w/ forearm in pronation & wrist in radial deviation may be appropriate

Edited by Jordu, 27 February 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#9 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8,858 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I wonder if the slide Drew to 3B and give Iglesias a shot.

#10 greek_gawd_of_walks

• SoSH Member

• 5,264 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Well, fuck all.  That fucking sucks.

#11 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• has big, douchey shoulders

• 12,972 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

I can't imagine Ciriaco being the primary third baseman for an extended period of time.  There have to be some mediocre, overpaid trade targets out there.

#12 MakMan44

• stole corsi's dream

• 13,632 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

I actually looked into this. He's never played a game there majors or minors (as far as I can tell)

#13 Plympton91

• loco parentis

• 6,535 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

If the massive improvement in ability to drive the ball is real, then that was my thought as well.  I wonder if Drew would do it willingly, and while any sign of life out of Iglesias is obviously great news, I still remember the spring in which Darren Lewis hit 7 HRs and Jimy Williams left him in to hit at a crucial point on opening day where a sacrifice fly would have won the game.

#14 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,229 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Middlebrooks' unique baseball gift was home run power in an unusually short swing, driven by phenomenally strong wrist action. All that power is at now at risk.

#15 SoxLegacy

• 554 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Well, this really sucks. I hope we hear better news tomorrow.

#16 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,165 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

If the massive improvement in ability to drive the ball is real, then that was my thought as well.  I wonder if Drew would do it willingly, and while any sign of life out of Iglesias is obviously great news, I still remember the spring in which Darren Lewis hit 7 HRs and Jimy Williams left him in to hit at a crucial point on opening day where a sacrifice fly would have won the game.

I'm still pissed about that game.

I also had the Drew/Iglesias thought but that sucks for a guy on a make good contract and I would have to see a hell of a lot more out of Iglesias.

#17 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,367 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

The thought of Napoli, Ortiz, and Middlebrooks all on the shelf on opening day is sickening. They have little to no depth at the corners, so losing one of those guys, never mind two, for an extended amount of time, would be devestating. None of these replacement options are good; most are downright awful. Hope for the best. I guess short term you would go with Ciriaco or Holt?

Long term, what about rolling the dice with Bogaerts?

Edited by Rudy Pemberton, 27 February 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#18 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,165 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Why on Earth are you talking about Papi and Napoli missing time?

#19 Ferm Sheller

• 4,541 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Here's a link to the video of the injury.

mlbf_25632023_th_13.jpg

Edited by Ferm Sheller, 27 February 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#20 mabrowndog

• 38,402 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Long term, what about rolling the dice with Bogaerts?

Hey, thanks for reading the thread before posting, Rudy!! 

I'm hoping this doesn't evolve into a "Should Bogaerts get a shot??" debate, considering he's never played the position prior to this spring, and further considering he's still a prospect who's never faced the type of breaking balls he'll be seeing in AAA, let alone the majors.

#21 SouthernBoSox

• SoSH Member

• 8,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

To say that looks ominous is an understatement.

You have to assume long term with that.

#22 Laser Show

• 3,368 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Why on Earth are you talking about Papi and Napoli missing time?

I mean it's not unreasonable. Napoli appears to be coming around, planning to play his first game on Friday. Ortiz still hasn't even run the bases yet.

#23 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 7,486 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Somewhere Bobby V is saying, "Nice inning, Will..."

#24 LoneWarrior1

• 763 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Jenny Dell just reported that Middlebrooks said that it "was just a scare" and nothing is torn or broken. He has not had any advanced testing.

#25 Ferm Sheller

• 4,541 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I watched the tape a couple of times and his first instinct was to grab the back of his hand at the area of the hamate bone. Could he have tweaked the ulnar nerve?

#26 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,229 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

(per NESN)

Middlebrooks says: "Nothing is broken, nothing is torn. Just a scare."

No x-rays have been taken yet.

#27 mabrowndog

• 38,402 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

@Sean_McAdam
Middlebrooks labels 1st inning wrist issue "a scare," isn't worried about re-injuring. No break, hopes to take BP Thursday.

@TimBritton
Middlebrooks said no pain as of now, probably could have stayed in game. Just an awkward feeling on an awkward swing in spot of break.

@MikeSilvermanBB
Middle rooms just spoke. Said not serious, hopes just scar tissue. Says nothing torn or broken but will be looked at again tomorrow

@alexspeier
Says he has all his strength and the pain went away. He feels he dodged a bullet. Says best case scenario is taking BP tomorrow.

Tim Britton @TimBritton
No X-rays yet for Middlebrooks, and none planned since he has strength in his hand. Will be re-evaluated tomorrow.

Edited by mabrowndog, 27 February 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#28 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

I watched the tape a couple of times and his first instinct was to grab the back of his hand at the area of the hamate bone. Could he have tweaked the ulnar nerve?

I'm not going to pull rank on you, but this post is like orthopedic mad libs

#29 bohous

• 1,085 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Middlebrooks thinks he may be able to take BP tomorrow Felt pain in same spot where he broke wrist on outside of wrist

Gordon Edes

Middlebrooks:"No pain No X rays Just a scare"

@GordonEdes

#30 mabrowndog

• 38,402 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

@MikeSilvermanBB
Middlebrook' wrist did not look swollen or red. Was not in ice or bandage. Said he's relieved. #redsox

Gordon Edes @GordonEdes
Middlebrooks thinks he may be able to take BP tomorrow Felt pain in same spot where he broke wrist on outside of wrist

Alex Speier @alexspeier
He wasn't wearing anything to immobilize the injury.

#31 Ferm Sheller

• 4,541 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

I'm not going to pull rank on you, but this post is like orthopedic mad libs

OK, fair enough.  I'll retire my short, entirely Google-trained medical career.  (But he did reach for the back of the hand and not the wrist.)

#32 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

OK, fair enough.  I'll retire my short, entirely Google-trained medical career.  (But he did reach for the back of the hand and not the wrist.)

And neither the hamate or the ulnar nerve are in the back of your hand.

Other than that, point taken.

Now I'm just being a dick. Ten dollars!

#33 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,165 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

I mean it's not unreasonable. Napoli appears to be coming around, planning to play his first game on Friday. Ortiz still hasn't even run the bases yet.

If this were a normal sping training, the college game would be tomorrow. They're expected to play in a matter of days and opening day is a month away.

Yes, it's unreasonable.

#34 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,165 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Wombat did an awful lot of jumping around for just a scare.

#35 Ferm Sheller

• 4,541 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

And neither the hamate or the ulnar nerve are in the back of your hand.

Other than that, point taken.

Now I'm just being a dick. Ten dollars!

Google images says branches of the ulnar nerve run right up through your pinkie!

http://www.eorthopod...my_nerves04.jpg

And the hamate appears to be right above where the hand meets the arm.

http://www.fpnoteboo...CarpalBones.gif

EDIT:  I'm not challenging you, BTW, I'm just curious.

Edited by Ferm Sheller, 27 February 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#36 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• has big, douchey shoulders

• 12,972 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Wombat did an awful lot of jumping around for just a scare.

To be fair, if he felt any pain near the area that was broken, I'm sure it scared the crap out of him.

#37 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,367 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Hey, thanks for reading the thread before posting, Rudy!! 

Touché. I got dibs on starting the "Justin Henry or Brock Holt? thread, though!

Refreshing to see this was potentially much ado about nothing. Now I can go back to worrying about who the 2nd lefty in the pen will be.

Edited by Rudy Pemberton, 27 February 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#38 SouthernBoSox

• SoSH Member

• 8,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

If we learned anything today... We learned we have scary shit depth at 3B with a second year player coming off an injury as our only legitimate third baseman.

We need some help there regardless if we dodged this bullet.

#39 Plympton91

• loco parentis

• 6,535 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Is there a "dodged the bullet" gif?

#40 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Google images says branches of the ulnar nerve run right up through your pinkie!

http://www.eorthopod...my_nerves04.jpg

And the hamate appears to be right above where the hand meets the arm.

http://www.fpnoteboo...CarpalBones.gif

EDIT:  I'm not challenging you, BTW, I'm just curious.

Both true, but both those structures are on the palm side of the hand, not the "back".

In the future, if we could all use the medically proper "palmar" and dorsal, we could spare ourselves a lot of confusion...

#41 mabrowndog

• 38,402 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Is there a "dodged the bullet" gif?

From "The Matrix":

Dodge-This1.gif

#42 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6,609 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

#43 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10,569 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

The only shot Iglesias needs is one that has PEDs in it.  He will likely never be able to hit at the ML level.  He has barely hit in the minors.

#44 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,631 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

The only shot Iglesias needs is one that has PEDs in it.  He will likely never be able to hit at the ML level.  He has barely hit in the minors.

He has to show more than a few March rockets before I'm ready to contradict you here, but it does need to be pointed out that the guy is still actually quite young, probably too young to make such definitive pronouncements about.

Color me semi-relieved. I hope they're not just whistling in the dark. That expression in the photo looks like something a little worse than "an awkward feeling." 

#45 Ferm Sheller

• 4,541 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Both true, but both those structures are on the palm side of the hand, not the "back".

In the future, if we could all use the medically proper "palmar" and dorsal, we could spare ourselves a lot of confusion...

Ah, thanks.  Palmar and dorsal it is.

#46 SouthernBoSox

• SoSH Member

• 8,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

The fact is, given our current situation, it would be an actual option says all you need to know about the excruciating thinness of that position.

#47 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

He sure looks a lot better at the plate this spring than I've seen him look in the past couple of years.

#48 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10,569 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

He sure looks a lot better at the plate this spring than I've seen him look in the past couple of years.

I haven't watched but he is off to a good start.  And note, that I used the words "likely never be able to hit at the ML level".    First, that is awful grammar right there.  More to the point, however, I am not ruling out the guy making a leap.  Its just that his history with more than a smattering of PAs at any level does not inspire confidence that he is capable of upping his offensive game.  

Frankly, I hope I am wrong and the guy develops into an offensive beast.  Then Cherrington can trade him away for some middling middle reliever.

#49 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8,858 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

I don't see him ever being an offensive beast.  But if he can become a solid below average hitter, his glove will make him an overall asset.  If he's in Rey Ordonez territory, or worse, which is certainly a possibility, it is a different story.  

#50 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,559 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Thank goodness the crack Red Sox Medical staff isn't concerned enough to do further testing!

Edited by Lose Remerswaal, 28 February 2013 - 07:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users