Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Real Madrid 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 sodenj5

• 2,095 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Figured I'd throw a Real thread up. Real dominating in Camp Nou presently. 3-0. Definitely did not see that coming.

Bodes well for their form heading into a big couple of games (at Barca, currently, and later this weekend, and then at ManU for the second leg of the CL).

Edited by sodenj5, 26 February 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#2 Turrable

• 2,300 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

Rematch in 30 minutes. Sadly it's another shitty beIN broadcast.

Also looks like Ronaldo, Ozil and others are resting for the CL game on Tuesday

Edited by Turrable, 02 March 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#3 bosox4283

• 2,595 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

It has been a strange, strange season for Real Madrid. Basically, four days ago, all the press was talking about was how the next three games--Copa vs. Barca, La Liga vs. Barca, and Champions vs. Man U--would define their seasons. Well, the have passed the first two tests with flying colors. Nonetheless, if they get knocked out vs. Man U, I think the season goes down as a loser (at least according to the team's standards). 

#4 Vinho Tinto

• 3,745 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

It has been a strange, strange season for Real Madrid. Basically, four days ago, all the press was talking about was how the next three games--Copa vs. Barca, La Liga vs. Barca, and Champions vs. Man U--would define their seasons. Well, the have passed the first two tests with flying colors. Nonetheless, if they get knocked out vs. Man U, I think the season goes down as a loser (at least according to the team's standards). 

Agreed with the above. Also, what kind of odds would you have gotten on Modric looking like a MOM during a Classico?

#5 Stanley Steamer

• 623 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

The eve of the big game. I'm kind of excited, because it has all the makings of classic. Who do you like?
If Madrid get that away goal, the game should set up nicely for them. I think it depends largely upon whether United play nervously. They are on such a roll of getting results that you'd be daft not to like their chances of doing the same. It's a big game for RVP I think. I haven't gotten to watch RM much this season. Do you think Modric will get a sniff? Ronaldo's on such a roll. Can he keep it up, amid all the hype?
I don't feel qualified to predict, but I'll go with 2-2, Madrid advancing.

Edited by Stanley Steamer, 05 March 2013 - 12:31 AM.

#6 bosox4283

• 2,595 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Agreed with the above. Also, what kind of odds would you have gotten on Modric looking like a MOM during a Classico?

And Modric gets MOM in another big game. 

#7 Billy R Ford

• douchebag q momfingerer

• 759 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Grant Wahl has a great article on a guy named Abel Rodriguez, a 41-year-old Mexican-American floor waxer who got to spend a week working for Real Madrid:

http://sportsillustr...-jose-mourinho/

#8 bosox4283

• 2,595 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

After Real Madrid's elimination in the Champions League, the wheels have completely come off. Mourinho finally held a press conference, during which he expressed his regret on not signing Diego Lopez sooner (read as: called out Casillas), stated his frustration with how some players started the season "sad" and out of form (read as: called out Ronaldo), and made the case for his place amongst Real Madrid's all-time greatest coaches. It was quite the show.

The shit-show continued today. Mourinho announced that Pepe will not be starting this week's game, basically punishing Pepe for saying that Mourinho should respect Casillas. 

The guy is clearly a talented manager. At what point, though, do teams stop putting up with his antics? And, how great of a manager is he? Real Madrid is one the world's richest clubs with one of the best rosters. How much credit does Mourinho deserve for the team's success?

#9 Royal Reader

• 1,281 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

His record at Madrid is clearly a mixed bag.  On the one hand, many people didn't see how he could get close to Barca when he went there.  He won the league over said Barca squad last year, has won a trophy every year (and btw - his propaganda victory in making the Copa Del Rey something people actually pretend to care about is something in itself) and has gone to two straight Champions' League semis.  He seems this season to have gotten the hang of winning the head-to-heads with FCB.  On the negative side of the ledger, he's achieved neither the domestic supremacy he had at Chelsea and Inter, nor the European glory he got at Inter & Porto.

The answer about his antics seems fairly evident - they will be tolerated as long as he's winning, and become an excuse when he's not.  Real seem to be in the position of either needing a new coach or a complete overhaul of the roster to remove the malcontents - the civil war cannot linger.  Given the profile of the malcontents, the latter is probably easier.

#10 teddykgb

• 3,762 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

I really don't see how anyone can question his ability as a coach.  So to answer your second question, he's an incredibly great manager.  His history is simply remarkable, even what he's done at Real Madrid.  I mean, the worst you can say is that it hasn't been as amazing as his last 3 stops, but it's still been pretty damn amazing. 

Clearly his personality can clash with players, and you maybe get the sense that success has seen him become more entrenched in his ways, which has probably caused some of the friction with his own players that he's seeing at Madrid.  It seems certain that he's going to bolt back to Chelsea this summer, which will make Chelsea much better, probably turn Ramires into a gigantic star, and will probably signal a significant shakeup at Madrid. 

I'm not intending to gloss over his culpability in his current situation.  The manager picks and manages the players, and in this case I think he's been unable to completely convince all those players to give in.  But he's got enough of a track record of having players who worship him to think that this really just developed into a bad mix at Madrid.  I'm terrified of having him back in England (unless Chelsea is a smokescreen and he's coming to City)

#11 Vinho Tinto

• 3,745 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

It's telling how difficult the job at RM is that last season is rendered meaningless. They compiled 100 points, 121 goals in league play, and a league title in an era where their rival will be remembered as the best team of all time. I'm not sure if beating Munich and Chelsea would matter today. It's not a job that is typically held my anyone for long. 

Also, I doubt he forgot how to manage during the last 10 years since he left Porto where he won 2 European trophies and 6 overall in two and a half years. 

#12 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 16,054 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Isn't Jose Mourinho the international football equivalent of Bill Parcells? Always on the move, often successful, always entertaining, always wearing out his welcome with his wandering eye and acerbic press interactions?

#13 bosox4283

• 2,595 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

Mourinho certainly makes the sport more fun. Here's a comment he made today about Iniesta, after Iniesta had made a comment defending Casillas:

"Iniesta can think whatever he wants to think, but I will say to him that when Messi is not playing, Barcelona is a much different team, so different that it did what it did in the Champions semifinals."

#14 bosox4283

• 2,595 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

It's telling how difficult the job at RM is that last season is rendered meaningless. They compiled 100 points, 121 goals in league play, and a league title in an era where their rival will be remembered as the best team of all time. I'm not sure if beating Munich and Chelsea would matter today. It's not a job that is typically held my anyone for long. 

Also, I doubt he forgot how to manage during the last 10 years since he left Porto where he won 2 European trophies and 6 overall in two and a half years. 

Agreed 100% with the first comment. It feels like forever ago that Real Madrid destroyed La Liga competition last year and set all sorts of records.

#15 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,470 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

If I needed a coach for 3 years there is nobody in the world I'd want ahead of Mourinho.  The question becomes if he gets in a situation where he can last, how will he behave?  I don't think he's gotten into that situation yet.  Chelsea and Madrid were always going to be volatile clubs for him, and while Inter is a fine club I don't think he envisions Serie A is a league that he'd want to stay in.  There are only a few clubs that I could see him staying for a long time at.  United, City, somewhere like Munich or Barca (not that they'd ever have him).

It will be interesting to see what happens on the second go around at Chelsea.

I've always thought this crop of Madrid (and Barca) players to be very divaish about everything.  I don't think Mourinho can be blamed for the locker room when players like Casillas, Ramos, etc... will eat managers alive if they don't get there way. 

#16 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,740 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Ancelotti to Real. Wonder what players will be there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users