Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
- - - - -

Sox vs Cards 2/26

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2935 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Mostly a minor league lineup as most starters will travel to Sarasota tomorrow.

SP Dempster
JBJ gets the start in CF

Oh yeah...we have a tornado warning until 3:00.

Edited by BoSoxLady, 26 February 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#2 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

GordonEdes: Don't put much stock in pitchers' lines from the Fort this afternoon. Howling winds blowing to dead center.

Also, the match-up of CFers today is JBJ vs Oscar Taveras (BA #3), the future superstar who is compared to Vlad.

Edited by SoxScout, 26 February 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#3 Curll

• 4237 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Box: http://boston.redsox...slnmlb_bosmlb_1

#4 Hee Sox Choi

• 2639 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

from Rotoworld:  Red Sox manager John Farrell wouldn't rule out Jackie Bradley Jr. making the Opening Day roster.

What are the odds of him taking over in CF from the get-go and moving Ellsbury to LF to start the year?

PS - I welcome a new Vlad.  Loved watching him take hacks.

#5 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Farrell isn't shy about praising young guys, that's for sure.

Realistically, the only path to him making the opening day roster in my eyes is if Ellsbury has a major injury and he continues his torrid spring. He's now reached base 6 straight times.

Come June and the Sox are looking pretty good, JBJ not overwhelmed in AAA, not getting what we'd like out of LF... that's when the real discussion begins, I think.

#6 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

I don't think it's very realistic, JBJ's a stud, but he needs to see some AAA pitching and the sox shouldn't be in a rush to start his service time clock when they currently have other options. I think there is every possibility that he starts the season in Pawtucket though and is ready for June call up. The sox aren't gonna want him sitting on the bench and they aren't gonna want to risk hurting his development without seeing him tear up Pawtucket first. Plus if they did start JBJ in CF it would take a roster spot away from guys like Carp, Sweeney etc. who you may need if JBJ showed after 3 weeks that he wasn't ready.

#7 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26060 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Farrell isn't shy about praising young guys, that's for sure.

Realistically, the only path to him making the opening day roster in my eyes is if Ellsbury has a major injury and he continues his torrid spring. He's now reached base 6 straight times.

Come June and the Sox are looking pretty good, JBJ not overwhelmed in AAA, not getting what we'd like out of LF... that's when the real discussion begins, I think.

I think there is a tiny chance he starts without an injury to Ellsbury. An injury to Victorino or the utter execrableness of the left field flotilla.

But really, what to they risk by sticking him in AAA for a few months? 

#8 Dionysus

• SoSH Member

• 6643 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

This happens pretty much every Spring. We have a highly regarded prospect who does very well in a small sample size and its hard for us to maintain objectivity.

Especially after a season like last, we really want to be excited about our farm.

But yeah, realistically, putting JBJ on the opening day roster is bad for his development and for the Sox longterm.

#9 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Joeseph Inglesias with another extra base hit

#10 MalzoneExpress

• Thanks, gramps.

• 677 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Joeseph Inglesias with another extra base hit

Gotta love auto-correct on the phone.

#11 HillysLastWalk

• 3787 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Gotta love auto-correct on the phone.

That's exactly why I turn off auto-correct.  It's evil.

But yeah, realistically, putting JBJ on the opening day roster is bad for his development and for the Sox longterm.

Could you elaborate on why you think it's bad for his development?

Edited by HillysLastWalk, 26 February 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#12 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9929 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

De la torre allowes 5 runs in one IP

beato allows 3 runs in .1 IP (still pitching)

#13 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7715 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm really, really glad to see Iggy hitting, even in a tiny sample. I know it's like seven plate appearances, but still.

#14 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8489 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

De la torre allowes 5 runs in one IP

beato allows 3 runs in .1 IP (still pitching)

As long as it wasn't De La Rosa ...

#15 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Granted it's only 3 innings , but Alex Wilson may start turning some heads and pitch his way into the conversation for the last bullpen spot. He's racked up a whopping 4 K's in the 3 innings and Castiglione was raving about his velocity on the radio.

#16 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

I'm really, really glad to see Iggy hitting, even in a tiny sample. I know it's like seven plate appearances, but still.

fwiw his double today was a bouncer over 3rd base

#17 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7715 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

fwiw his double today was a bouncer over 3rd base

I totally get that, and his home run was tailored to JBP's Fenway dimensions. 

But he could easily have gone 0 for 6 without getting the ball out of the infield.

#18 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11433 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Could you elaborate on why you think it's bad for his development?

I'm not Dionysus, but this seems like a pretty easy one: he ought to be playing every day, and if he's on the big club, he won't be.

OTOH, there is one scenario for him to make the big club *and* play every day that no one is mentioning, and that is that we trade Ellsbury before the bell rings. This obviously is not very likely, but if the Sox staff become convinced that JBJ is ready, it seems like at least a remote possibility.

#19 Jordu

• 2029 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

I'm not Dionysus, but this seems like a pretty easy one: he ought to be playing every day, and if he's on the big club, he won't be.

OTOH, there is one scenario for him to make the big club *and* play every day that no one is mentioning, and that is that we trade Ellsbury before the bell rings. This obviously is not very likely, but if the Sox staff become convinced that JBJ is ready, it seems like at least a remote possibility.

I know he's 22 and was an outstanding college player, but the highest pro level Bradley's played at is a half season in AA. It would be a big jump. Do folks here think he could make the jump successfully come April? Is he that special?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users