Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Google Drive and Docs - Problem Connecting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wibi

• SoSH Member

• 8,061 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I can connect to Google Drive (through the web interface) without an issue but when I try to connect to a specific document within the drive I get a network timeout error.

This happens on both firefox and internet explorer (cant install chrome unfortunately)

Any ideas what I need to tell my network guys to get this fixed?

#2 SoxJox

• 1,190 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

GoldOakLeafwibi,

I've asked my tech gurus to see if they can identify possible problems.  I suspect it may be a settings issue, but when surveying the likely culprits myself none jump out at me (I was looking specifically at unauthenticated proxies as a possible source, or perhaps even an http: vs. https discrepancy).

#3 wibi

• SoSH Member

• 8,061 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

I go through 7th Signal if that makes a difference

#4 SoxJox

• 1,190 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

My tech guys came back with a question: "Could you send me a screenshot of any error that you are receiving? Also what type of file are you trying to open, a Google Doc, Google spreadsheet, Word file? "

#5 wibi

• SoSH Member

• 8,061 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Doesnt matter if its a spreadsheet or a doc.  I cant get anything to open.

And the error Firefox kicks is

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at docs.google.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
  If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
  If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Internet explorer kicks me this

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage     What you can try:       Diagnose Connection Problems     up.png More information<ID id="moreInformation">More information</ID>

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

• Internet connectivity has been lost.
  • The website is temporarily unavailable.
  • The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
  • The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
  • There might be a typing error in the address.
  • If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds:

1. Click the Favorites button favcenter.png, click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages):

1. Press Alt, click File, and then click Work Offline.
  2. Click the Favorites button favcenter.png, click History, and then click the page you want to view.

#6 SoxJox

• 1,190 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

OK.  We've got a guy here who is really savvy with Drive, Chrome, and everything that's Googly.  I've passed it on to him so we'll see what he comes up with.

#7 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,785 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

I think that it's DNS or a peering issue with 7th wave.  Maybe some shitty A/V software or something too. 

#8 SoxJox

• 1,190 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

OK.  We've got a guy here who is really savvy with Drive, Chrome, and everything that's Googly.  I've passed it on to him so we'll see what he comes up with.

Well...he may be savvy, but when he pressed and I said it was a "friend's" problem, he quickly spun on his heel and rode off into he sunset.  I don't think I'm going to get any help out of him.  Sorry.

P.S. When did you change your avatar from the flying Air Force eagle to the Zags (which I presume to suggest you are a Gonzaga alum)?

#9 wibi

• SoSH Member

• 8,061 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Well...he may be savvy, but when he pressed and I said it was a "friend's" problem, he quickly spun on his heel and rode off into he sunset.  I don't think I'm going to get any help out of him.  Sorry.

P.S. When did you change your avatar from the flying Air Force eagle to the Zags (which I presume to suggest you are a Gonzaga alum)?

It was actually a Seahawk to the Zags.

I am an alum and was a Sophomore on campus during that original historic run of 1999.

Thanks for the effort but I figured it was a long shot at best.  I've found work-arounds that are functional but challenging

Edited by majorwibi, 28 February 2013 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users