Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Spring Training Catch-All Gamethread

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Meff Nelton

• 1082 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Let's get it on.

Youkillis flies out with the bases loaded to end the first.  Bust.

#2 derekson

• 3421 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Of course it was only 5 feet shy of being a GS.

Granderson already out of the game after getting hit in the wrist in his first PA.

#3 Meff Nelton

• 1082 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Of course it was only 5 feet shy of being a GS.

Granderson already out of the game after getting hit in the wrist in his first PA.

At least Curtis made contact.

#4 Meff Nelton

• 1082 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I would love to see Chris Stewart hit .320 this year, just to watch heads explode with rage.

(I know this will never happen.)

Edited by Meff Nelton, 24 February 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#5 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 10368 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Two hard-hit balls by Youkilis. 

p.s. I am not able to see much difference in his swing. Others?

Edited by InsideTheParker, 24 February 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#6 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 10368 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ugh. Michael Kay, over a shot of Girardi with his arm around Youkilis, saying "This is how we do things in New York, Youkilis, a little different than in Boston." Like no one ever was nice to Youks in Boston, ever. Puke.

#7 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9348 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

RT: @YankeesPR: Fractured right forearm for Curtis Granderson...approximately 10 weeks until he will be Major League-ready

#8 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Mark Montgomery solid in first ST appearance. One inning versus Baltimore today. Walked first guy (Yamaico Navarro), who Cervelli guns out stealing. Fans second bird. Gets third on a 6-3 grounder. Cito Culver has a rocket for an arm at short.

Monty got a quick 0-2 count on Navarro, throwing one great slider, then couldn't get him to nibble on several sliders off the plate. That's probably going to be the deal for Monty when he gets to the big leagues. Hitters up there may lay off the slider unless it's on the corner. Minor leaguers are often fooled by his windup, which is a little disjointed and/or deceptive.

Cervelli's throwing motion is 100 percent improved this year. Flaherty very impressed on YES. Cervelli has caught two basestealers so far this spring.

Edited by terrynever, 27 February 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#9 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Chris Stewart just got tossed out of game in second inning by Marty Foster, who blew a call. Split-squad today for Yanks. Cervelli is catching the road game. Bobby Wilson will replace Stewart.

Cervelli got his third runner stealing this spring today against Houston.

#10 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Three shutout innings for Phelps against the regular Jays lineup, minus Rasmus. YES announcers point out that Melky is going to see a lot of good pitches this year if he continues to bat second in the order, between leadoff hitter Jose Reyes and No. 3 hitter Jose Bautista.

Reyes is sporting an Abe Lincoln beard this spring. Makes him look older.

#11 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Aardsma impressive in 1-2-3 fourth inning. Gets Bautista to pop up on a good fastball and fans Arencibia. In between, Encarnacion out on a hard grounder up the middle. Maybe 10 pitches.

Lot of power arms in this bullpen -- Aardsma, Joba, Robertson, Logan.

Mo tossed a couple innings in a "sim" game this morning and looked good, especially fielding his position. He's running normally. YES showed some video of the workout.

#12 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Andy Laroche goes deep off Chase Whitley for a Toronto 1-0 lead in the 7th. We may be seeing a lot of low-scoring Yankee games this season.

#13 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Yanks' B team trailing 6-5 in sixth against Houston. Melky Mesa has a three-run homer. Brett Marshall threw three scoreless to start game. Dellin Betances walked two, fanned two in scoreless fourth inning.

#14 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

One week into ST games, Cervelli is the clear-cut leader in the catching race. Makes sense that he wins the job. Stewart is a lifetime backup. Romine has minor league options remaining, which the other two don't. Cervelli has cleaned up his throwing technique, he runs the bases well, puts the ball in play. He's another one of NY's small-ball (and little HR power) hitters -- Gardner, Ichiro, Jeter, Cervelli.

Meanwhile, Juan Rivera can't make an out. He's hitting around .500 for the week and off to a good start in his quest for a job.

Kuroda and Joba had sloppy days today. Phils up 6-1 after four.

p.s. -- cervelli guns down Rollins for his fourth CS this week.

Edited by terrynever, 01 March 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#15 Brickowski

• 3580 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Ronnie Mustellier is the next Yoenis Cespedes.  Book it Dano.

#16 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Cashman breaks an ankle skydiving today, on his second jump. This is expected to seriously diminish his range in the field.

Daily News has photos. They were actually covering the event. Imagine if he had been killed. Photos might have been better.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1278790

Edited by terrynever, 04 March 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#17 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Yanks hosting the DR this afternoon. Yankee farmhand Vidal Nuno, a 25-year-old lefty, is starting for the DR. He needed 11 pitches to get a 1-2-3 first, fanning Hafner on 4 pitches to end it. Nuno is ticketed for Scranton this season be he has the pitching know-how to spot start for the Yankees if injuries hit the rotation. Adding a changeup apparently turned his career around after the Indians released Nuno in 2009. 48th-round draft pick.

http://bronxbaseball...-league-system/

#18 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Kuroda with 3 Ks, 1 hit, over first 2 innings. Facing a pretty good lineup, too.

#19 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Juan Rivera just let a fly ball drop in RF that hung in the air for five seconds. Not even a dive. First run of game scores on what should have been the third out. Don't see how they can put his lard ass on this roster. Go with one of the kids for a month or two.

#20 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Four hitless innings for Nuno today. Cervelli's walk the only baserunner.

#21 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Zoilo Almonte with a wind-aided HR to RF in the 7th inning. First hit of game for the Bronx Bunters.

#22 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Rivera with 1-2-3 debut. Popup, two called third strikes. Hit 91 on gun. Cone said he showed no signs of favoring the right knee, his push off leg.

#23 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Also today, Jeter singled between third and short on first pitch he saw. Running without a limp.

Pitching prospect Jose Ramirez, 23, who is ticketed for Trenton, continued his strong spring with 4 innings of 1-hit ball. He tops out at 97 and his best pitch is a changeup.

Ramirez and Vidal Nuno,24 years old, are the two top starting pitchers in the farm system right now.

Edited by terrynever, 09 March 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#24 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Yanks beat Cards 3-0 today. Phelps throws five sharp innings. He and Nova could both be in the rotation if Hughes doesn't get ready in time. Nuno got the final seven outs after bailing out Monty in the 8th. First baseman Juan Rivera knocked in all three runs with a fifth-inning double. Rivera had three hits. Has a better chance to make team as a 1B than in the OF.

Edited by terrynever, 10 March 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#25 Brickowski

• 3580 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Rumor is that they're trying to talk Derrick Lee into unretiring, so the Yankees can't be that much in love with Rivera.

Edited by Brickowski, 11 March 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#26 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Rumor is that they're trying to talk Derrick Lee into unretiring, so the Yankees can't be that much in love with Rivera.

Derrick Lee is probably fatter than Rivera by now. He missed all of last season. He turned a trade to the Yankees down two or three years ago. Screw him.

#27 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Youk homered off a Cardinals' prospect today. Drilled a hanging curve off Lance Lynn halfway up the scoreboard beyond the LCF fence. Might have been a single in Fenway. Yanks lead 1-0 in 6th as Kuroda, Joba aad Robertson look good in their outings. Gonna be a lot of 1-0 games this season.

Youk then made it 2-0 in the 6th with a SF to right to end a 10-pitch AB. He's starting to get his timing down.

What a long spring training schedule this is for all teams. It's only March 11 and they've been playing games for 16 or 17 days already.

Edited by terrynever, 11 March 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#28 Brickowski

• 3580 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Two good innings from Betances today. And where did Jose Ramirez come from?  95-97 mph fastball and a major league changeup-- and he throws them both for strikes. He's likely going to Trenton but would not be surprised to see him with the major league club this year.

Phelps, Warren and Nova have also looked good.  IMHO this will likely be Phil Hughes' last year in pinstripes.

Edited by Brickowski, 11 March 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#29 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Two good innings from Betances today. And where did Jose Ramirez come from?  95-97 mph fastball and a major league changeup-- and he throws them both for strikes. He's likely going to Trenton but would not be surprised to see him with the major league club this year.

Phelps, Warren and Nova have also looked good.  IMHO this will likely be Phil Hughes' last year in pinstripes.

Good point about Hughes. And Ramirez has been amazing so far. You forgot to mention Nuno, who pitches like a Mexican Whitey Ford. :blink:

#30 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Well, Youk homered today but it's 15-1 Toronto after 2 innings. Jose Ramirez's honeymoon ended as he allowd six runs while getting 1 out in the first. 4 walks and 2 hits. Adam Warren then came in to complete the rout, giving up 8 runs. Somebody named Pinder is now pitching and it's 16-1 in the third. Melky is 3-for-3 with 4 ribbies. Macier Isturiz is 2-for-2 with 5 RBI.

#31 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Cashman raised the possibility this morning that Jeter "could" begin the season on the DL. Or he could be in the lineup on April 1. Got a cortisone shot yesterday, won't do much for 3-4 days. Yes, this is starting to look like 1965. Pitching staff too solid to write this team off yet.

#32 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Nunez catches a soft liner that Jeter would have waved at in the top of the first, then strikes out on 3 pitches in bottom of first, swinging at an eye-high FB to complete his whiff. This is a guy the Yankees really need to play well. That's a scary thought.

#33 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Seeing Jackie Bradley for the first time reminds me of when Austin Jackson was coming up thru the Yanks' system. It's fun to root for a young kid with so many tools. Rekindles your faith in the team. Yanks traded Jackson, of course. But his heir apparent is on the bench today. Yanks are giving Mason Williams a taste of the big leagues for a day. Williams will start the season in High-A Charleston, hopefully will earn a promotion to Trenton by mid-season.

#34 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Another double dies in Gardner's glove thanks to his speed and direct route to the ball in left field.

#35 Brickowski

• 3580 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Nice outing from Nuno, even though it was against Boston's 2nd string.

#36 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Nice outing from Nuno, even though it was against Boston's 2nd string.

Yeah, he just keeps getting people out. Does it without a big fastball. Not sure how he fares against big league hitters but eventually we're going to find out. Maybe he advances from Trenton to Scranton by mid-season.

#37 Brickowski

• 3580 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Curiously, Nuno strkes out quite a few guys, even without a big fastball.  126 K's in 138 innings last year, in high A and AA.  He only walked 33.

#38 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Curiously, Nuno strkes out quite a few guys, even without a big fastball.  126 K's in 138 innings last year, in high A and AA.  He only walked 33.

I love the way the guy pitches. He just has to keep proving himself at every level. Prior to joining the Yankees, he had been released by Cleveland. He developed a changeup in Independent League, and that made a big difference, according to this article published last summer in the Trenton Times.

http://www.trentonia...ager=full_story

#39 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

It's near time to start feeling like this is a contending team:

Tonight's lineup:

Brett Gardner CF
Ichiro Suzuki LF
Robinson Cano 2B
Kevin Youkilis 1B
Travis Hafner DH
Brennan Boesch RF
Eduardo Nunez SS
Jayson Nix 3B
Francisco Cervelli C

RHP David Phelps

#40 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Okay, I'm sitting at a bar from 4-6 p.m. today because that's when young retired people like myself do their drinking. The guy next to me, a Korean War veteran, and a good sports fan, tells me he doesn't root for team sports anymore. He says it's too painful to place all your trust in a team. He likes to watch the PGA Tour. It's all about individual shots. Hates the NBA. NFL and NHL are okay. Guy loves the LPGA so much it makes me uncomfortable.

I only mention this because the Yankees have worn me out over the last 17 years. There have been no off-seasons for Yankee fans. 2008 is as close as they came to a bad year. 89 wins. I think I'm burned out by the constant battle to root for a pennant contender. And now, in 2013, I'm seeing the signs of a non-playoff season. The second in five years. I think bad years are helpful to fans like me because you can quit on a team in August and not have to endure the suffering of October. The truth is, for Yankee fans, we know October is for suffering. Every October but once since 2000 has ended with pain.

Not ready to throw in the towel yet. Nunez could turn into the next Edgar Renteria. Gardner might hit .320 and steal 80 bases. Tex and Grandy could come back in June and kill the second half. Pettitte's elbow may survive the season. The reality is, a lot of things have to go right for the Yankees to contend this season. I think I need another beer.

Edited by terrynever, 21 March 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#41 ThePrideofShiner

• 2460 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

I just want this endless Spring Training to wrap up. Excited for the games that mean something.

#42 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 10368 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Really loud HR by Youkilis! Yay! Yankees up by 1, had  been trailing 1-0 to the Rays. Helickson pitching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users