Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

BA Top 30 Red Sox Prospects

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,423 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

From the BA 2013 Prospect Handbook

1. Xander Bogaerts, SS
2. Jackie Bradley, OF
3. Matt Barnes, RHP
4. Allen Webster, RHP
5. Henry Owens, LHP
6. Blake Swihart, C
7. Garin Cecchini, 3B
8. Bryce Brentz, OF
9. Jose Iglesias, SS
10. Deven Marrero, SS
11. Drake Britton, LHP
12. Brandon Workman, RHP
13. Brandon Jacobs, OF
14. Anthony Ranaudo, RHP
15. Brian Johnson, LHP
16. Tzu-Wei Lin, SS
17. Jose Vinicio, SS
18. Alex Wilson, RHP
19. Christian Vazquez, C
20. Manuel Margot, OF
21. Pat Light, RHP
22. Frank Montas, RHP
23. Travis Shaw, 1B/3B
24. Sean Coyle, 2B
25. Keury de la Cruz, OF
26. Ty Buttrey, RHP
27. Cody Kukuk, LHP
28. Simon Mercedes, RHP
29. Stolmy Pimentel, RHP --> Traded to Pirates
30. Miguel Pena, LHP
31. Mookie Betts, 2B/SS

Betts' ranking is from the supplement, which provides an extra prospect profile from each team to those who order the handbook direct from BA. Also, 2B Brock Holt was ranked #22 in the Pirates' system.

No major surprises, though relative to other evaluators Vazquez seems a little high and de la Cruz seems a bit low. I'd also half-expected to see Chris Hernandez crack the bottom of the list after an unspectacular but solid 2012 including a promotion to AAA, but his absence comes as no great shock considering his middling stuff.

Former Sox prospects in other systems (hope I didn't miss any):

Casey Kelly, RHP - #1 SDP
Miles Head, 1B - #7 OAK
Tim Federowicz, C - #13 LAD
Roman Mendez, RHP - #13 TEX
Chris McGuiness, 1B - #18 CLE
Josh Fields, RHP - #25 HOU
Raul Alcantara, RHP - #26 OAK

#2 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

I like this list a lot, my personal top 10 is identical to this one. I would have put Pat Light in the top 15 though and I would have Ty Buttrey in the top 20. It's very interesting to see Simon Mercedes so high seeing as we know very little about him.

#3 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 5,131 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

I hated the Reddick trade then. Now it looks like Head is going to be a power hitting cost controlled 1B.

And for what? An injury prone closer? I get that Head and Reddick were/are far from sure things and that Bailey's injury this year was a freak accident. I still hate that trade. And now we could really use both of them.

I was all for the A-Gone trade - in that case trading prospects for a good player, a potential stud, makes sense. Here though I thought we were giving up too much for a mediocre return. 

Head is only in AA and still has problems with plate discipline and striking out too much. But he's only 21 and might be ready for the majors this year or next. He isn't a sure thing. He could easily unravel - but still, he's someone the organization could use if he panned out.

#4 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Agreed, nothing jumps out at me too much. Johnson over Ranaudo maybe. On principle I wouldn't put Lin in the top 20 and definitely not over Vinicio, but that's a smallish complaint given the bonus he received.

I have to say, seeing another DSL player in the top 20 gives me a tingly feeling.

#5 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 722 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

I dig Vazquez at #19.

#6 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I hated the Reddick trade then. Now it looks like Head is going to be a power hitting cost controlled 1B.

And for what? An injury prone closer? I get that Head and Reddick were/are far from sure things and that Bailey's injury this year was a freak accident. I still hate that trade. And now we could really use both of them.

I was all for the A-Gone trade - in that case trading prospects for a good player, a potential stud, makes sense. Here though I thought we were giving up too much for a mediocre return. 

Head is only in AA and still has problems with plate discipline and striking out too much. But he's only 21 and might be ready for the majors this year or next. He isn't a sure thing. He could easily unravel - but still, he's someone the organization could use if he panned out.

I can't believe we gave Oakland Head either...... But he's still a long way off, he crushes A-ball pitching, that we know, but when called up to AA he didn't exactly light the world on fire. Alcantara has been, just another guy and Reddick while playing great defense and having a great 1st half fell off a cliff completely in the 2nd half.

I'd give Bailey some time, reports are that he is throwing with pretty tremendous stuff in his few ST throwing sessions. If he has a great spring he could be a useful bullpen arm and be a pretty hot commodity on the trade market. He's cheap and talented, a contender might give up a better haul in July then what we gave up to get him (prospect wise). If the sox are contending this bullpen could be the reason why and you'd be remiss to trade him at all.

Of course he could get injured again and be totally worthless, but he is still yound and cheap and full of talent. Last year was a lost year for Bailey, but it was a lost year for the team and he didn't put many miles on that arm.

#7 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,413 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

And for what? An injury prone closer?

Actually, an injury prone set-up man.

#8 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 5,131 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Actually, an injury prone set-up man.

Well now... I mean he was going to be our closer at the time of the trade.

#9 LeoCarrillo

• Do his bits at your peril.

• 5,573 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Where's Rubby?

#10 MrDaniel

• 160 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Where's Rubby?

He's not eligible 

#11 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

For those bemoaning the loss of Miles Head, have you actually seen the dude?  I mean if he ever makes the show, I can only imagine his upside is going to be Jack Cust.

Miles-Head-5807.jpg

#12 LeoCarrillo

• 5,573 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

He's not eligible 

Thanks. I reckon that's due to big-league service time. Rubby has pitched in 14 MLB games. (Though Iglesias has appeared in 35. Different for pitchers/position obv.)

#13 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,984 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Not to mention Head is the number 7 prospect in a farm system that is coming up well into the bottom half of the league this year.  Law has them 22nd, Sickels has them 27th.

#14 Joshv02

• 1,417 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Comparing this to 2011:

I count four guys not ranked in the 2011 top 30 who were then in the org (KDLC, Montas, Vazquez, Vinicio).

I count four guys ranked higher in 2013 than 2011 (Bogearts, Brentz [moving up with a bullet! sorry], Workman, Jacobs).

I count four guys who are ranked lower than 2011 (Iglesias, Britton, Ranaudo, Coyle).

I count two guys who are basically in the the same position (Cecchini and Alex Wilson).

That means that basically 16 are newly acquired.

From 2011, the following six guys are no longer ranked, could be, are are still in the org (2011 ranking in parens): Vitek (#9), Gibson (15), Hazelbaker (22), Younginger (24), JC Lineras  (28), Celestino (29) (and obviously Westmoreland, but let's leave that aside).

#15 Luis Taint

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

What happened to Alex Hassan, has he fallen that hard?

#16 Joshv02

• 1,417 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hassan wasn't ranked in the top 22 by Sickels prior to the 2012 season (and Sickels would like him more than BA), while I don't think he was ever on a BA top 30 list (he wasn't for 2011, but I haven't confirmed for last year).  So he hasn' "fallen," really - he wasn't well regarded by the scouting community before.

#17 mabrowndog

• 38,423 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Thanks. I reckon that's due to big-league service time. Rubby has pitched in 14 MLB games. (Though Iglesias has appeared in 35. Different for pitchers/position obv.)

It's not based on games played or pitched. For most of these lists, a player is ineligible after 50 MLB innings (for pitchers) or 130 MLB at-bats (for hitters). These are the same maximum parameters Major League Baseball uses for Rookie of the Year eligibility.

What happened to Alex Hassan, has he fallen that hard?

Hassan's ceiling has pretty much always been considered 5th outfielder. That's not the sort of MLB role these rankings are intended to project. 

#18 LeoCarrillo

• 5,573 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

It's not based on games played or pitched. For most of these lists, a player is ineligible after 50 MLB innings (for pitchers) or 130 MLB at-bats (for hitters). These are the same maximum parameters Major League Baseball uses for Rookie of the Year eligibility.

Thanks for clarifying. Well, at 61.1 innings, Rubby just misses. So we could probably get away with parenthetically wedging him somewhere into that Barnes, Webster, Owens area.

Hard to imagine that Punto trade not being a defining plus deal for Ben (and Lucky, if we must). For that to somehow turn into a negative, Webster and Rubby would have to be meh or worse, Gonzo and Crawford excellent, and for the Sox FO to waste the money savings from the present through 2018.

#19 Frisbetarian

• ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

• 4,672 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Or 45 days on an MLB roster when the team has a 25 player limit (before September 1st). 

#20 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 722 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

For those bemoaning the loss of Miles Head, have you actually seen the dude?  I mean if he ever makes the show, I can only imagine his upside is going to be Jack Cust.

Miles-Head-5807.jpg

I'm not sure if I get what point you are trying to make. I'm not saying Head's going to be a star, or even a useful MLB player, but there are plenty of fat dudes who have succeeded in the majors.

#21 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5,708 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Where's Rubby?

I guess he and Lavarnaway are eligible for RoY. Seems like a deep list with those two both likely to start in ml's as well.

#22 Stanley Steamer

• 590 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

I'm not savvy enough to compare our prospects to another team's, but I get that our system ranks only so well. Yet I really think we have a lot of potential ML talent in our top 15 or so. Has the Sox system ever been this stacked? So, we really should be able to tell if Cherington's vision is right in about 2-3 years.

#23 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,984 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

I'm not savvy enough to compare our prospects to another team's, but I get that our system ranks only so well. Yet I really think we have a lot of potential ML talent in our top 15 or so. Has the Sox system ever been this stacked? So, we really should be able to tell if Cherington's vision is right in about 2-3 years.

I'm pretty sure there's a decent chance we won't see a run like they had from 2005-2008 or so again any time soon.  The draft class of 2005, in particular, was ridiculous.  As for an individual ranking at the start of a season, I'd say the soxprospects.com ranking in March of 2007 is probably the best most of us will see in our lifetimes from the Sox system.

1. Jacoby Ellsbury

2. Clay Buchholz

3. Michael Bowden

4. Dustin Pedroia

5. Bryce Cox

6. Daniel Bard

7. George Kottaras

8. Justin Masterson

9. Jason Place

10. Lars Anderson

11. Kris Johnson

12. David Murphy

13. Brandon Moss

14. Edgar Martinez

15. Carlos Fernandez

16. Felix Doubront

17. Kyle Jackson

18. Jonathan Eagan

19. Jed Lowrie

20. Chad Spann

#24 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

What I like about this years list of prospects, plus the 3 or so under veteran status youngsters that don't qualify as prospects (Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Doubront, Tazawa) is that between all of them there is a very solid core with enough talent that if some don't pan out at least there is enough left over to be excited. Figure into that all the short contracts of the "Veterans" and the future looks pretty bright. If you look at this year's team there is also a lot of assets that can be traded at the deadline for more top teir prospects if the team falters. Hanrahan, Bailey, Ellsbury, Lester, Salty, Napoli, Uehara and most of the rest of the bullpen all could be traded at the dealine if this team isn't compatitive. Out of that groupd or others there should be at least 2 or 3 very good prospects coming back in any trade. If the team is competitive then we have a good foundation and a winning environment to bring up reinforcements and it's all gravy.

I think the plan looks pretty good, of course injuries and flame outs could damper it some.

Edited by Hugh G Rection, 22 February 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#25 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,707 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

As for an individual ranking at the start of a season, I'd say the soxprospects.com ranking in March of 2007 is probably the best most of us will see in our lifetimes from the Sox system.

And just to sober us all up, it should be noted that of those 20 players, 8 have never made it to the majors at all, 6 years later. Of the remaining 12, just 6 have ever accumulated as much as 3 bWAR in a season, and of those 6, only one has done it more than once. Of course it's still early and certainly some of the guys on the list (Ellsbury, Buchholz, Masterson, maybe Doubront, maybe Lowrie if he can stay healthy) are good candidates to be that productive again, perhaps multiple times.

But still, all that talent and only one guy who has been able, six years later, to show consistent high-level production in the major leagues.

#26 Dewy4PrezII

• Very Intense

• 2,692 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

I'm not sure if I get what point you are trying to make. I'm not saying Head's going to be a star, or even a useful MLB player, but there are plenty of fat dudes who have succeeded in the majors.

John Kruk and Matt Stairs both carved out strong careers with less than thin physiques...

#27 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,984 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

And just to sober us all up, it should be noted that of those 20 players, 8 have never made it to the majors at all, 6 years later. Of the remaining 12, just 6 have ever accumulated as much as 3 bWAR in a season, and of those 6, only one has done it more than once. Of course it's still early and certainly some of the guys on the list (Ellsbury, Buchholz, Masterson, maybe Doubront, maybe Lowrie if he can stay healthy) are good candidates to be that productive again, perhaps multiple times.

But still, all that talent and only one guy who has been able, six years later, to show consistent high-level production in the major leagues.

I see two. Ellsbury did it twice and Pedroia does it all the time, but yeah, your point is a good one. We'll be lucky to get a few 2.0 fWAR players out of this current bunch, never mind multiple guys who consistently post 3 or better.

I do, however, think there's a decent chance they have two 3+ fWAR players on the list right now if for no other reason than UZR will probably like Bradley and may overrate him a bit defensively relative to wins.

Edited by Snodgrass'Muff, 22 February 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#28 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,707 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

I see two. Ellsbury did it twice

I think you're looking at fWAR. I was looking at bWAR. Ellsbury's 2008 and 2009 both fell short of 3 by their metrics.

#29 ShaneTrot

• 4,532 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

BA really likes the young guys but I am surprised guys like Jeremy Hazelbaker and Juan Carlos Linares did not make the back end of the list.  Those guys are close to the major leagues and may get a sniff of the show with Boston or someone else.

#30 mabrowndog

• 38,423 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Has the Sox system ever been this stacked?

I'd say the soxprospects.com ranking in March of 2007 is probably the best most of us will see in our lifetimes from the Sox system.

Here's an era which does indeed pre-date most members' lifetimes (not to mention any publisher putting together organizational prospect rankings), but it was pretty damn deep for the Sox. In 1972 Boston had the following stable who either began the year as eligible rookies or were drafted that year (the current eligibility standards noted upthread were adopted in 1971, so it's apples to apples). With the benefit of hindsight, I'll put on my Callis hat and rank them retroactively just for the hell of it. Players who made the majors in blue, MLB All-Stars in red, HOFers in bold.

1. Carlton Fisk, C, MLB, 24 (1972 AL RotY)

2. Dwight Evans, OF, AAA, 20 (jumped 2 levels from A ball, hit .300/.409/.482/.891)

3. Ben Oglivie, OF, MLB, 23 (was a Sept '71 call-up after a .304/.385/.498/.883 line w. 17 HR at AAA)

4. Cecil Cooper, 1B, AAA, 22 (.315/.369/.468/.837)

5. John Curtis, LHSP, AAA, 24 (promoted to Sox 5/28, made 21 starts)

6. Jack "Home Run" Baker, 1B, A, 22 (drafted in '71 out of Auburn, hit .272/.351/.511/.862, 27 HR for Winter Haven)

7. Jim Rice, OF, A, 19 (Sox' #1 pick in June '71, hit .291/.373/.489/.861 w. 17 HR for Winter Haven)

8. Lynn McGlothen, RHSP, AAA, 22 (9-2, 1.92 ERA, 5.8 H/9, 7.3 K/9, 2.3 K/BB ... Called up to Sox 6/25, made 22 starts)

9. Buddy Hunter, 2B, AAA, 24 (Earned a '71 cup of coffee with a .278/.414/.389/.804 line in AAA)

10. Jim Burton, LHSP, AA & AAA, 22 (June '71 draftee out of Michigan, debuted in AA that year w. 2.83 ERA, 6.5 H/9, 2.0 K/BB in 14 GS)

11. Rick Miller, OF, MLB, 24 (After a '71 AAA line of .247/.389/.406/.795, he got a Sept call-up hitting .333/.452/.576/1.028, and made the club for good.)

12. Mark Bomback, RHSP, A & AA, 19 (drafted in '71 out of Fall River (MA) Durfee HS, went 19-6, 2.23 ERA, 6.2 H/9, 8.3 K/9, 2.7 K/BB)

13. Dave Coleman, 3B, A+, 21 (.253/.332/.410 /.742 w. 14 HR in 119 G)

14. Mario Guerrero, SS, AAA, 22 (acquired from Yankees 3/22 as PTBNL in Sparky Lyle trade ... .292/.339/.345/.684)

15. Juan Beniquez, OF, AAA, 22 (.296/.350/.437/.787 w. 20 SB in just 66 G due to injury)

16. Dick Pole, RHSP, AAA, 21 (had put up a 2.76 ERA and 1.9 K/BB in 19 starts at AA in '71)

17. Rick Burleson, SS, AA, 21 (had hit .271/.310/.376/.687 in A-ball in '71)

18. Wayne Milam, RHSP, AA, 21 (had gone 14-7, 2.49 ERA, 2.8 K/BB in A-ball in '71)

19. Ramon Aviles, 2B, AA, 20 (slick fielder, in '71 had hit .294 w. a .378 OBP over 91 G at Greenville before promotion to high-A)

20. Craig Skok, RHSP, AAA, 24 (15-7, 3.02 ERA, 2.4 K/BB ... debuted w. BOS in May '73)

21. Bill "Bugsy" Moran, RHSP, A, 21 ('71 draftee, went 11-8, 2.03 ERA, 2.00 K/BB, and just 4 HR in 155 IP)

22. Chester Lucas, 1B/OF, A-, 21 ('71 draftee, .285/.364/.500/.864, 12 HR in 62 G)

23. Bob Gallagher, OF, AAA, 23 (.292/.363/.375/.738)

24. Jim Vosk, RHSP, A, 19 (Highly touted 3rd-rounder in '71, debuted that year in low-A going 8-3, 3.00 ERA, 7.2 H/9, 1.81 K/BB)

25. Andy Merchant, C, A-, 21 (Sox' #10 pick in '72 out of Auburn, hit .339/.373/.529/.902 in pro debut)

26. Robert Leonard, OF, A-, 20 (Sox' #18 pick in '72, hit .320/.401/.415/.816 in pro debut)

27. Vic Correll, C, AAA, 25 (Plucked from the Braves in the Dec '71 minor league draft, had hit .273/.372/.528/.900 w. 22 HR in AA that year)

28. Tom Cason, CF, A-AA, 22 ('71 pick struggled in AA debut that year ... In '72 hit .290/.364/.366/.730 in 69G at high-A before promotion)

29. Don Newhouser, RHRP, AAA, 24 (Promoted to Sox bullpen in mid-June, worked 31 G with a 2.43 ERA despite 27/25 K/BB) 

30. Albert Ryan, 2B, A, 21 (17th rounder in '72 from U of S. Alabama ... Fast as fuck, debuted with .256/.385/.288/.673 w. 11 SB, went on to steal 175 bases over next 4 yrs)

31. Michael Cummings, CF, A-AA-AAA, 24 (late-bloomer was all speed & fielding, but hit .332/.378/.392/.770 w. 47 SB)

The above doesn't include 22-yo LHSP Roger Moret, who already had 79 IP with BOS. Those who wouldn't have cracked the rankings back then but later made the majors include:

* Don Aase, RHP - Sox' #6 pick in '72, went 0-10 with a 5.81 ERA as a 17-yo in rookie ball, but wound up an AL All-Star with a 13-year MLB career.

* Ernie Whitt, C - Sox' #15 pick in '72, hit .183/.272/.220/.491 in 31 G at Winter Haven that year, ended up an AL All-Star with a 15-year MLB career.

* Bo Diaz, C - 1970 signee from Venezuela as a 17-yo, struggled mightily in '71 (.132/.175/.158/.333) and in '72 (.159/.159/.182/.341). He'd later be sent to Cleveland in the Eckersley trade, and would make 2 All-Star teams in a 13-year MLB career.

* Steve Dillard, SS - Sox' #2 pick in '72, hit .228/.270/.281/.551 in 44 G at high-A Winston-Salem, had an 8-yr MLB career as a utility IF.

* Mike Garman, RHP - Struggled to stick with BOS after being rushed to majors (debuted at 19 in '69), but was a serviceable reliever in the last 6 seasons of his 9-yr MLB career.

* Tim Blackwell, C - Defense-only backstop was key fill-in for injured Pudge in '74, and again during '75 pennant season.

* Steve Barr, LHSP - Made 2 starts for the Sox during the '75 pennant run, but was dealt after the season with Beniquez to TEX for Ferguson Jenkins.

* John Larose, LHSP - Drafted in '70 out of Cumberland RI, he struggled with injuries. Finally got it together by '75 and made his one-and-done debut in Detroit at age 26 during the September '78 division race. It was a disaster (3 H, HR, 3 BB, 5 ER in 2 IP).

That's 32 future major leaguers, 10 of them All-Stars and 2 HOFers. Plus 2 Gold Glove winners in Miller and Beniquez.

As an aside, Aase, Whitt and Diaz are prime examples of why the pessimistic whining and cataclysmic rushes to judgment that appear on this board when prospects struggle are annoying at best and overbearingly obnoxious at worst.

Edited by mabrowndog, 22 February 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#31 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,984 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

I think you're looking at fWAR. I was looking at bWAR. Ellsbury's 2008 and 2009 both fell short of 3 by their metrics.

Yes I was. That's a fair distinction to make as rWAR does appear to be a little less prone to exaggerating the defensive value component of WAR, at least by a little bit.

And dog, that absolutely does predate me by a few years, but holy shit is that a stacked list.

#32 mabrowndog

• 38,423 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

And dog, that absolutely does predate me by a few years, but holy shit is that a stacked list.

Just revised it since I had omitted Rick Miller. So it's actually 32 who made the majors. Also added the factoid that Miller & Beniquez won Gold Gloves.

#33 Stanley Steamer

• 590 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hard to imagine our current crop will yield that degree of excellence. Thanks for the research. Still, it should be fun watching these guys hit 'the show'. Hopefully, most of those who do well will do so in Red Sox laundry.

#34 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 6,905 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

As an aside, Aase, Whitt and Diaz are prime examples of why the pessimistic whining and cataclysmic rushes to judgment that appear on this board when prospects struggle are annoying at best and overbearingly obnoxious at worst.

Thanks for the chart; hadn't seen it the first time.

In a similar vein, ran across this interesting tidbit on Brandan Workman from Alex Speier.  First, sorry if it wasn't posted elsewhere and I missed it.  Second, didn't see anywhere else to put this (Workman doesn't have an AAP thread???).  So thought I just throw it in here as another example of not knowing what a prospect is or is not doing that may affect final statistics.

The Sox made the decision to force Workman to shelve his cut fastball -- a dominating pitch for him in college, and one that seemed destined to overpower South Atlantic League hitters and to leave splinters in its wake -- to focus on developing his fastball command, sharpening his curveball and learning to throw and use a changeup.

"I didn’t throw it probably the first three-quarters of the season [in 2011]," Workman said of his cutter. "At that point, I didn’t have the best command of my curveball and my changeup was borderline non-existent. [The Red Sox] didn’t want me to be able to use the cutter as a crutch, if you will, and not force me to throw my curveball for a strike and learn to throw my changeup.

"If you look at it short-sighted, it was frustrating. It was one of my better pitches in college and I wasn’t allowed to throw it. I know that, had I been allowed to throw it, I would have had better numbers in the beginning of that year. But I was able to look big picture on it. I know that down the road, having a fastball and cutter wasn’t going to cut it for me. So it was great, because it did force me to be able to throw my curveball over and over until I found a way to be able to locate it, and it forced me to throw a changeup, which I had never really done in my career. I had to keep throwing them, so as the year went on, they got better."

Workman's development was improved by not having immediate success and not having the best statistics, all of which reinforces MBD's point above.

Linky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users