Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2013 San Diego Padres: If You Move in the Fences Will They Hit?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

This has been a really boring off-season. After claiming that they would sign a big name pitcher, Padres management came back with nothing. Even so, the Padres are a young, exciting team with lots of upside. Also, the fences at Petco Park have been moved in which should be fun to follow.

The Padres opening day lineup should include, Chase Headley, Carlos Quentin, Yonder Alonzo and Jedd Gyorko who is one currently one of the Padres top prospects. In early June the Padres should add Yasmani Grandal after he is done serving his 50 game suspension for P.E.D. use. The Padres offense was much improved last season, especially during the 2nd half. With the fences moved in at Petco I would be surprised if they did not finish with an offense in the top half of the league, maybe even the top third.

Their bullpen should also be above average with Huston Street closing and Luke Gregerson setting up. The real question mark is the Padres starting pitching. Their rotation on opening day looks to be composed of several starters who would be #4s or even #5s on most teams. It will include the likes of Clayton Richard, Edinson Volquez, Jason Marquis, Eric Stults and Tyson Ross. However if they can get through the first couple of months with a decent record, they could compete. Corey Luebke should be coming back as should Andrew Cashner who the Padres believe could be an ace.

Edited by Robert Plant, 18 February 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#2 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Here is a link to an article on the possible effect of moving in the fences at Petco Park.   

http://nationalwestb...tag/petco-park/

#3 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16372 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

I do like how moving in the fence rationalizes that stupid notch in right field, which must be the worst piece of engineered quirkiness anywhere in the majors.

Aesthetically I favor pitcher's parks and I blanched when the Mets moved in the fences at Citi Field (which, after one year, appears to have made little difference). Get better hitters if you want more offense. But I have to admit that while left field's not too bad (as long as you pull the ball), right field at Petco is just ridiculous. I am always surprised whenever anybody hits a home run out to right field. Moving the fences in there isn't going to affect the integrity of the game.

#4 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Aesthetically I favor pitcher's parks and I blanched when the Mets moved in the fences at Citi Field (which, after one year, appears to have made little difference). Get better hitters if you want more offense. But I have to admit that while left field's not too bad (as long as you pull the ball), right field at Petco is just ridiculous. I am always surprised whenever anybody hits a home run out to right field. Moving the fences in there isn't going to affect the integrity of the game.

No it shouldn't. Ownership and most pundits are thinking Petco will still play as a pitcher's park, just not as extreme as before.

Weather also has an extreme effect at Petco. Due to the cold Pacific literally being right there, the weather effect is much more dramatic than any park I can think of other than maybe San Francisco. Go to a typical night game (April through mid-August) and balls die a quick painless death in the cold, moist air. Go to a game on a warm day and Petco plays like a very average park. With the new dimensions, it  might actually play small on warm, dry days. We probably will even see some slug-fests on hotter days.

Edited by Robert Plant, 19 February 2013 - 12:25 AM.

#5 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

Perhaps Everth Cabrera juiced his way to the the most NL stolen bases last season. He has been connected with the Florida P.E.D. clinic. http://sports.yahoo....55841--mlb.html

Edited by Robert Plant, 20 February 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#6 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Andrew Cashner is back way ahead of schedule from his hunting accident. He pitched a shutout inning on Sunday. The Padres are hoping he can be their ace of the future. In case you don't know, he is the guy the Padres traded Anthony Rizzo for. Cashner has a 100 mph+ fastball, a very large frame to support it and a late-breaking slider. I am really stoked he's back as he is one of the keys to the Padres success going forward.

#7 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Casey Kelly is getting Tommy John surgery and should be out at least 12 months.During his first MLB outing last year, he threw a few pitches faster than he usually throws. Perhaps that is what did in his elbow?

http://sandiego.padr...news_sd&c_id=sd

Edited by Robert Plant, 24 March 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#8 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

A. That was an awesome sports fight!

B. Padres fans are now fired up, which is rare yet also awesome.

C. This is just the kind of thing that can get a team going. It will be interested to see how the Padres react over the next few weeks.

Edited by Robert Plant, 12 April 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#9 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

A  funny thing happened on the Padres post game radio broadcast today. Randy Jones and the other commentator spent about 15 minutes going off about what a pathetically hopeless team of minor leaguers the Marlins are. Ironic since a lot of people in baseball and on this thread would put the Padres in the same category.

Having said that, the Padres are starting to play some pretty good baseball and open some eyes. I think they have a good chance of finishing over .500 and perhaps even "playing meaningful games in September". They should get better throughout the year as two of their best players Luebke/ Grandal come back and all their young players should continue to improve. There's a lot of talent in this organization.

Edited by Robert Plant, 08 May 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#10 MakMan44

• SoSH Member

• 12389 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

The Padres are in such a better place than the Marlins right now, to even attempt to compare the two is a joke. Nobody is in the Marlins category, I would honestly rate the Astros above them, at least the 'Stros are trying to improve.  

#11 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

The Padres are in such a better place than the Marlins right now, to even attempt to compare the two is a joke. Nobody is in the Marlins category, I would honestly rate the Astros above them, at least the 'Stros are trying to improve.  

Thank you, that was kind of my point; the Padres are becoming a legitimately competitive team. But, a lot of people would put them in the same category as the Marlins, and definitely more people would have done so a year or two ago, so I laughed when the Padres radio guys where taking the piss on the Marlins.

Edited by Robert Plant, 09 May 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#12 MakMan44

• SoSH Member

• 12389 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Thank you, that was kind of my point; the Padres are becoming a legitimately competitive team. But, a lot of people would put them in the same category as the Marlins, and definitely more people would have done so a year or two ago, so I laughed when the Padres radio guys where taking the piss on the Marlins.

Fair enough, they have taken legitimate strides forward in the past couple season that has fueled their competitiveness. I just put them in a completely separate category because I don't think the Marlins are quite done tearing down, it's going to keep getting worse.

#13 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

The Padres had their 2nd walk off win in a week last night in the 17th inning. They were 15-13 for the month of May. It would not surprise me at all if they continue to get better throughout the season.

Their best young pitcher Cory Luebke should eventually be back. Perhaps more importantly, their hitting should continue to improve. Yonder Alonzo, Jed Gyorko, Evereth Cabrera and Alexi Amarista all appear to be getting better with more exposer to major league pitching. More and more they are doing the little things like working counts.  Carlos Quinton has been horrible at the plate so far; so a regression to the norm is probably in order. Chase Headley has room for improvement too.  Yasmani Grandal is a huge question mark but it will certainly be interesting to see if he can hit without  extra testosterone coursing through his vains.

Edited by Robert Plant, 01 June 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#14 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

The Padres continue to play solid baseball. For the first time for a long time, they have a wining record after sweeping the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Atlanta Braves. They are two games back in the National League West. Their defense has been great and their hitting middling but improving. Their whole lineup is contributing and becoming tough for opposing pitchers to get through. Their pitching has been pretty good too with the exceptions of Clayton Richard and Edinson Volquez. Although it must be noted that Richard may have turned a corner today; he went 8 innings and only gave up 1 run.

Perhaps moving the fences in at Pecto Park has had some physiological benefit. The Padres appear to have a distinct home field advantage this year; they are 22-14 at home while playing 13-20 on  the road.

Edited by Robert Plant, 16 June 2013 - 05:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users