Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

The Adventure Begins

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mike F

• Mayor of Fort Myers

• 1,926 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Feb 9-16
Greetings from the Amigos in The Fort. Giff suggested that a short list of abbreviations and mnemonics commonly used in our reports, so here we go:
5esses or s/s/s/s/s = stretching/swearing/spitting/scratching/standing around.
PFP = pitchers fielding practice
PP = Pitching Practice = pitchers throw to catchers with non-swinging hitters in the box
Amigos = Mike F/Cheri Giffen aka BoSoxLady/Dave Giffen aka Giff.
WTDS = What Thumpers Daddy Said = If you cant say sumpin nice, dont say nuttin Atall.
Exitement wise, the first nine days of ST have been as dry as a popcorn fart. It has been just the ever so usual 5esses, PFP and catchers getting in some late BP. This year there have been a significant number of new to the team players, young farm hands and a few regulars with Pedroia and Papi headlining the list. With the entire team coming in action will pick up over the next week.
Today featured some PP for selected pitchers. Andrew Bailey, #40 in your program and numbered somewhere in your heart, looked and sounded very fast. We wont get a feel for what hes got to offer this season until he pitches against some opposing starters but he appears to have come to camp to impress.
Wouldnt be a column with a report on who looks good. As has been written and talked about on every sports outlet in the N.E. area, John Lackey looks terrific. I seem to remember hearing JF say that Lackey had lost 12-15 lbs. He looks like its more than 30. Maybe some extra muscle??? Improvement is very noticeable in his face. This wasnt just dumping some beer pounds.
FYI: Jose Iglesias aka Joe Church is now wearing #10 to honor the Sox last good glove/no hit player, Bob Montgomery. Dave is walking around whichever field #10 is on touting his glove to anyone who will listen. So if Giff posts anything about #10 hes just cut and pasted it from 2011 and 2012 ST reports. You have been warned. As usual Giff engaged a man in conversation, who was in the Fort for his first ST. Chuck Fiendach from Rochester NY heard the #10 spiel in its entirety and never cracked a smile. God bless Chuck.
Today Buchholz signed forever. He signed for everyone who came to him. I remarked to St. Kathleen who accompanied Cheri and me to the paahk, when you see Buck next to any of the other starters he appears very small. So small that I have designated his current ailment as a strained Pulled Pork Strand.
Jhonny Gomes also signed for a large group while he was waiting to hit. Gomes is wearing #5 and Ben Cherington neither confirmed nor denied that any, if not all of George Scott, Denny Doyle, Nomar, Rocco Baldelli or everyones favorite Nick Punto were approached for permission to pass the number on.
I was surprised how small Victorino looks. As he faced a RHP he hit exclusively LH. I am guessing that depending on how Middlebrooks and Napoli are hitting Victorino may bat 5th thru 9th.
Cheri calls part time fans FF or Florida Fans. Todays FF Award goes to an old coot (this coming from me is really an indictment) who walked over to Gomes and presented a ball for an autograph. Jhonny signed and gave the guy the ball and received a big Thanks. The guy now walks away a few yards and looks at the ball. Stares at the ball and holds it up toward the sun so he can see better. Now he goes back to Gomes and works his way behind him so he can read the name on the uni. He checks against the ball, shrugs and leaves. I spoke to him and asked whose autograph he got. He said, Gomez, but I dont know who in hell he is.
Ill be looking for the FF of the Day and/or Tee Shirt of the Day for the rest of ST.
I understand that Cheri will be posting some pix from The Jet as posts to the daily thread.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit not a vegetable.
Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in a fruit salad.

Edited by Mike F, 16 February 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#2 redsoxstiff

• hip-tossed Yogi in a bar fight

• 6,659 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Terrrrrific...notable...popcorn fart...Tell the Giffer that he can allatime yak about Iglesias. Iirc small, wooden churches was anarchetectural coarse at Stonehill...

#3 SoxLegacy

• 554 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the report--great to hear about baseball!

#4 The Boomer

• 2,047 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

If I ever retire, I would love to hang out with you, Cheri and Giff in Florida. Pass on my regards and keep those notes coming.

#5 NJ Fan

• 2,877 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Like the swallows returning to Capistrano...

Thanks for the insider opinion on Lackey...anything positive from him once the games count would be remarkable, given how putrid he's been on the mound (and elsewhere).

Love "Joe Church."   :buddy:

#6 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 6,125 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Mike F!

I watched some tv coverage and Victorino looked smaller than I expected, so it's funny you mention that. 

With so many new players and coaches around, this should be an interesting ST and I'm glad you're around (along with your groupies) to report. The way you write, I can imagine standing next to you and hearing your observations in person. This saves me the trouble and expense of going down there myself. Because I don't really care for Florida. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

#7 Ramon AC

• 1,712 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Yes.

#8 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,405 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Anyone know what number Ryan Sweeney's wearing? The Sox' NRI list shows him with #12, which is what he wore last year. But it's also Napoli's number. Such duplicity and disruptions of the world order cannot be tolerated.

#9 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2,941 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Sweeney is wearing #25.

#10 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,405 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Sweeney is wearing #25.

Mystery solved. Crisis averted. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic