Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Spring Training Miscellany

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
206 replies to this topic

#1 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 10,250 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Hope a thread like this is okay.  I figure there will be a fair share of random nuggets from ST that don't necessarily warrant their own thread. 

I'll start things off with a skinnier John Lackey

535719_10151418702144844_1245512340_n.jp

1fbbc4d4-a45d-4278-a570-cffa1a19021b_800

Edited by Corsi, 05 February 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#2 adam42381

• 1,971 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

What time are the guys leaving each day? I'm usually off work by 2:30 and JetBlue is a couple miles from my house.

#3 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,450 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Disappointing to see that Lackey still hasn't ponied up for corrective surgery on his perma-scowl.

#4 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3,390 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

In the back of the 2nd Lackey picture above is Lester...and there is a better pic of him in that same Globe photo story.  I think he's looking a little slimmer as well.  That might be a good thing. I know everyone on this board is waiting for a 4th place finish, but I'm expecting a big turn-around for the pitching. I really think getting Lester and Buch back into a Farrell state of mind is going to be a big, positive deal...and as they go, so will go the staff. 

I love it when I can smell optimism of a new season, even when it's still the deep, dark winter outside.

#5 redsoxstiff

• hip-tossed Yogi in a bar fight

• 6,659 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Disappointing to see that Lackey still hasn't ponied up for corrective surgery on his perma-scowl.

According to the Glob, Lackey couldn't care what we think about his behaviors...I don't give a rodent's ass either...Winning
Counts...

#6 drbretto

• guidence counselor

• 4,361 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

I know I'm missing baseball if a picture of Lackey is invoking feelings of optimism. 

100 wins!

#7 dbn

• 3,475 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

In the back of the 2nd Lackey picture above is Lester...and there is a better pic of him in that same Globe photo story.  I think he's looking a little slimmer as well.  That might be a good thing. I know everyone on this board is waiting for a 4th place finish, but I'm expecting a big turn-around for the pitching. I really think getting Lester and Buch back into a Farrell state of mind is going to be a big, positive deal...and as they go, so will go the staff. 

I love it when I can smell optimism of a new season, even when it's still the deep, dark winter outside.

I don't know man, a lot of things have to go right for the staff, the lineup looks to be weaker than we've seen in a long time, and, and... aagghhhhh... sh*t, even after 4 months of getting into a mental state where I can enjoy a "building for the future" year, I can't help but chug cool aid and get psyched for Sox success.  101 wins!

#8 drbretto

• guidence counselor

• 4,361 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

I say drink the Kool Aid. Why not? We haven't had reason for optimism in a year and a half. We're just fans and our only real job is to believe in the team and pretend like our belief actually means anything.

Whether it's a PR stunt or not, this team is at least likeable and we're bound to have good luck again eventually.

So hold your nose and drink it down. 100+!

#9 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,262 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I know I'm missing baseball if a picture of Lackey is invoking feelings of optimism. 

100 wins!

I don't know man, a lot of things have to go right for the staff, the lineup looks to be weaker than we've seen in a long time, and, and... aagghhhhh... sh*t, even after 4 months of getting into a mental state where I can enjoy a "building for the future" year, I can't help but chug cool aid and get psyched for Sox success.  101 wins!

I say drink the Kool Aid. Why not? We haven't had reason for optimism in a year and a half. We're just fans and our only real job is to believe in the team and pretend like our belief actually means anything.

Whether it's a PR stunt or not, this team is at least likeable and we're bound to have good luck again eventually.

So hold your nose and drink it down. 100+!

Pessimists, the lot of you.

#10 SoxJox

• 1,158 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

even when it's still the deep, dark winter outside.

Don't look now, but I think they found Nemo.

#11 koufax32

• He'll cry if he wants to...

• 3,410 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Ras has commented about 100 wins. Now speing is upon us.

#12 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,262 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Ras has commented about 100 wins. Now speing is upon us.

What's the record, 116?

That's doable.

#13 Laser Show

• 3,460 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Greatest thing ever:

https://twitter.com/bradfo/status/299894933416976385/photo/1
link to tweet

#14 SoxLegacy

• 562 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Greatest thing ever:

link to tweet

Love that pic!

#15 pokey_reese

• SoSH Member

• 5,128 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Love that pic!

There is an even better one at Boston.com today, that has me more excited because Pedro appears to be holding a glove.  FO job my foot, he's here to save the pitching staff!

#16 someoneanywhere

• 3,179 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Love that pic!

Fuck me. They brought him back so he could unload the truck?

#17 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6,710 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Ben Cherington said this morning that outfield prospect Bryce Brentz shot himself in the leg while cleaning a handgun last month and is not on the spring roster as a result.

Alex Speier broke the story: http://fullcount.wee...n-gun-accident/

Edited by joyofsox, 09 February 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#18 LogansDad

• SoSH Member

• 5,888 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Greatest thing ever:

link to tweet

Forget special assistant to whoever he is special assistant to.... he looks like he could still pitch.

#19 xpisblack

• 2,658 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Plaxico Brentz...  Jesus.

#20 HriniakPosterChild

• 4,149 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

Only a flesh wound, he says: 

“It’s a minor setback, really,” Brentz said. “I plan on being in camp Monday ready to go.”

Link

#21 TomTerrific

• 343 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Only a flesh wound, he says: 

Link

fleshwound.jpg

Fair enough, he's still got one good arm leg. Play Ball!

#22 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6,710 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Ellsbury's plane hit by lightning.

https://twitter.com/JacobyEllsbury/status/300723822582177792
link to tweet

#23 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13,870 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

Billy Batson was on board

#24 NDame616

• will bailey

• 1,038 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

I don't think it's newsworthy, but with the G38 stuff recently, and it's second on ESPNs front page, it may get some run:

http://espn.go.com/b...-boston-red-sox

Jonathan Papelbon used Toradol

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Former Boston Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon, who was with the team from 2005-11, said Saturday that he and numerous other Red Sox players were regularly injected with Toradol, a legal anti-inflammatory drug whose use has become increasingly controversial in sports.

Edited by NDame616, 11 February 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#25 lexrageorge

• 3,158 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Seems like a big difference between recommending a legal pain reliever and suggesting someone take a banned performance-enhancing substance.  

#26 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2,820 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

I don't think it's newsworthy, but with the G38 stuff recently, and it's second on ESPNs front page, it may get some run:

http://espn.go.com/b...-boston-red-sox

This is such a non-story it's mind-boggling, but congratulations to ESPN for getting to run a story that involves someone getting injected with something.

#27 MonstahsInLeft

• 1,190 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Oh my god.  ESPN could you sink any lower??? 

Toradol is in the same class of medications as Motrin and Aleve (Ibuprofen and naproxen), it just has an injectable form.  They've got to be kidding with this.  The only "controversy" is the possibility of side effects (like any medication).  Yes, as a matter of course the medical staff need to be very clear with the athletes what they're doing, and using it wisely but that's really true of medicine in general.  I've seen it given for migraines all the time in clinics and emergency rooms without describing the possibility of some of those side effects.  It isn't even like injecting local anesthetic for pain or corticosteroids for inflammation which are done all the time. 

There are enough legitimate PED questions around that throwing this out there like it is in the same conversation with HGH or anabolic steroids is ridiculous.  Awful.

#28 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4,449 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

John Henry was interviewed this morning...some interesting quotes:

"We had a core philosophy for a lot of the years and we moved away
from that philosophy and it’s hurt us. It’s definitely hurt us. Last
year, I think, was the beginning of trying to put us back on the right
track," he said.

"When you have a certain amount of success you generally you don’t
tend to change your philosophy. In our case there was a very profound
shift, I think, of what we were trying to do. Why? That’s a good
question. I would only speculate why. But there was a shift and I don’t
think it ultimately, with hindsight, proved to be [right]."

On the 2013 Red Sox: “It’s hard to know at this point and we may not be finished. I definitely think we will contend for a playoff spot."

"We haven’t had the kind of depth that it turns out that we need.
That’s one thing that he’s worked on and we’ve been working on this
year. I think more in terms of depth, we’ve planned more for injury. But
it’s difficult when you have your best players injured. Even when you
have sufficient depth it’s hard to be a playoff team.”

Is Bill James more involved in decisions: “It’s not so
much that Bill goes out and makes recommendations. If you ask Bill a
question, you get a detailed analysis that is extremely well done. It’s
something that we’ve gotten away from to our detriment over the years.”

Source - http://www.boston.co...y_opens_up.html

#29 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,548 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Ahead of what team in the AL East would they be favored to finish? 

#30 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,528 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

It's a shame that there wasn't more clarity regarding the philosophy and how it changed; would have been nice for Henry to be more detailed about what he's referring to. It's kind of hard to decipher.

#31 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 9,730 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

New York

#32 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10,953 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

It's a shame that there wasn't more clarity regarding the philosophy and how it changed; would have been nice for Henry to be more detailed about what he's referring to. It's kind of hard to decipher.

Rudy, they went out and signed Lackey, Crawford, Gonzalez and Jenks to large long-term contracts over the space of two years.  While they have signed other free-agents during the H/W/L era, they hadn't done anything of this magnitude before.  Its pretty obvious what he is referring to actually.  The fact that he does so while accepting responsibility (I will take his use of the word "we" at face value) and remains discreet with regard to naming names is a good thing.  The last thing the Sox need is to rip off the scabs of the past few years by having JWH say:

"Theo and the front-office ratf*cked the Red Sox but good by deviating from our past philosophy of building from within and selectively augmenting via free-agency/trades.   Instead, they went out and brought in high-priced players who, in some cases, weren't worth their contracts and didn't fit within the team's culture.  Theo stinks like rotting dog butt.  And while we are at it, Tito can piss off too, the pill-popping absentee manager scumbag!"

I mean, that would be pretty damn cool if he said that.  But he won't.  Its too bad you don't understand that point of view, but I suppose there is nothing more I can do.

Edited by DeJesus Built My Hotrod, 11 February 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#33 mwonow

• 1,591 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

New York

That's a classic in the glass half full/half empty genre. For sure, a 4th place finish would be more palatable if the MFYs finished last...

#34 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10,210 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

I think his plan of spending an off season completely confounding you is pretty clear, and ultimately, extremely successful.

#35 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,528 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

They certainly signed (and traded away) the wrong guys; that's not philosophy though, it's execution. Trading away position prospects for middle relievers seems like an odd shift to me, as well as placing a premium on good clubhouse guys. Wish I saw things so clearly as you guys do, but hey, it's good to know from Henry that lat year, the year the team was fronted by Bobby fucking Valentine, was the year they starte doing things right again.

#36 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10,210 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

I wish you saw things as clearly as others too.  But now that you're starting to figure this stuff out for yourself rather than asking 200 times over a few months, the healing will begin.

#37 lexrageorge

• 3,158 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

They certainly signed (and traded away) the wrong guys; that's not philosophy though, it's execution. Trading away position prospects for middle relievers seems like an odd shift to me, as well as placing a premium on good clubhouse guys. Wish I saw things so clearly as you guys do, but hey, it's good to know from Henry that lat year, the year the team was fronted by Bobby fucking Valentine, was the year they starte doing things right again.

"Last year" could have been referring to the Punto trade being the start of doing things correctly.  Calling those players in the Hanrahan trade "position prospects" is a bit of a stretch, but if you insist on doing that, keep in mind that Hanrahan may very well be their relief ace.  And Valentine was fired, in case you hadn't heard.

#38 Plympton91

• loco parentis

• 6,708 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Wouldn't you say they're better than Baltimore at this point?  By my count the O's have no DH, 2B, or LF who can be counted on to play 50 games at a high level.  Their rotation will have to prove that last year was no fluke, and they'll require the health of Jones and Weiters as well as no sophomore slump from Muchado.  And that same Baltimore team was a wild card last season, so no reason to write them off in February.

#39 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,262 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

The real answer is Baltimore.

#40 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2,955 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

Happy Spring Training! Like to swallows returning to Capistrano, the Three Amigos are back.

Day 1 begins with a full Southern breakfast with MikeF, followed by two hours of pitchers/catchers calisthenics and PFP (pitcher fielding practice). Gates open at 9:00. :)

Sounds boring perhaps but believe me, it's like a breath of fresh air.

Mike will begin his reports post-game.

Play ball!

#41 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4,449 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

It doesn't sound boring at all, Cheri...can't wait for the reports and pics.  Enjoy your breakfast!!

#42 someoneanywhere

• 3,179 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Happy Spring Training! Like to swallows returning to Capistrano, the Three Amigos are back.

Day 1 begins with a full Southern breakfast with MikeF, followed by two hours of pitchers/catchers calisthenics and PFP (pitcher fielding practice). Gates open at 9:00. :)

Sounds boring perhaps but believe me, it's like a breath of fresh air.

Mike will begin his reports post-game.

Play ball!

What y'all hunting?

Now that's some full Southern for you.

Great to have you guys back in the saddle. Have fun for the rest of us. 

#43 Lefty on the Mound

• SoSH Member

• 1,335 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

The first Mike F. report of the season coming today?  I am stoked!

#44 Carmine Hose

• 3,511 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Great start.  Buchholz pulls his hamstring during the first fielding drill.  How does this happen to a pro athlete?

http://espn.go.com/b...-with-hamstring

#45 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2,820 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Great start.  Buchholz pulls his hamstring during the first fielding drill.  How does this happen to a pro athlete?

Give him some Toradol, he'll be fine

#46 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,450 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

I seriously hope you're merely ridiculing the perpetually-questioning and always-wondering Rudy Pemberton, and not actually asking how such a thing happens. Please tell me you're not that naive.

Anyway...

Alex Speier @alexspeier
Buchholz had a mild hamstring strain covering 1B. He's day to day.

Tom Caron @TomCaron
John Farrell calls it a "mild strain."

#47 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,486 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Wow, he really shot himself in the foot with that. Wait, no that was Brentz.

From yesterday:

026_normal.jpgGordonEdes Gordon Edes
Farrell: Breslow, Doubront to be held back a bit bc of shoulder discomfort. Stressed it was precaitionary

#48 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 4,209 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

I seriously hope you're merely ridiculing the perpetually-questioning and always-wondering Rudy Pemberton, and not actually asking how such a thing happens. Please tell me you're not that naive.

Anyway...

Alex Speier @alexspeier
Buchholz had a mild hamstring strain covering 1B. He's day to day.

Tom Caron @TomCaron
John Farrell calls it a "mild strain."

You mean it obviously happened because Clay spent all offseason drinking beer and sitting on his couch, right?

#49 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,811 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Wouldn't you say they're better than Baltimore at this point?  By my count the O's have no DH, 2B, or LF who can be counted on to play 50 games at a high level.  Their rotation will have to prove that last year was no fluke, and they'll require the health of Jones and Weiters as well as no sophomore slump from Muchado.  And that same Baltimore team was a wild card last season, so no reason to write them off in February.

Betemit is fine as long as you never let him wear a glove or face a LHP. So he could play 100-120 DH games at a fairly high level as the LHH half of a platoon. Of course since he's a SHINO it remains to be seen if Showalter will be willing to platoon him.

#50 pokey_reese

• SoSH Member

• 5,128 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

You mean it obviously happened because Clay spent all offseason drinking beer and sitting on his couch, right?

It's probably because he is a headcase who lacks confidence and maturity.  Remember that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users