Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

TRUCK DAY IS HERE!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#1 brs3

• sings praises of pinstripes

• 3,573 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

photo%20(1).JPG

Packing up luggage, but leaving behind the 2012 baggage.

#2 Gash Prex

• 1,141 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Is there a reason the main board seems to be completely ignoring the fact that pitchers and catchers are reporting in like 5 days?  Shouldn't people be more excited for this?  Is there that much hangover from the last 2 seasons?  

#3 bohous

• 1,066 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

I used to get excited by truck day. "First robin of spring" etc. Then a couple of weeks go by and I'm still chipping ice off my windshield, the grass is still brown and the reality that we are still a long way from meaningful baseball sets in.

#4 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 15,032 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

I used to get excited by truck day. "First robin of spring" etc. Then a couple of weeks go by and I'm still chipping ice off my windshield, the grass is still brown and the reality that we are still a long way from meaningful baseball sets in.

I love the first complaint about Truck Day! Like the swallows returning to Capistrano, it signifies that winter is coming to an end and spring is just around the corner. For those of us 450 miles south of Boston, anyway!

Truck Day is one of the worst days of the year. It's cold. It's going to be cold for the foreseeable future. We are still some three weeks from even shitty spring training games being played. Nothing about the actual Truck Day is good.

I preferred the years when it wasn't a big to-do...when really the only people paying any attention were us crazy SoSHers...afterall, aren't we the ones that coined the phrase "Truck Day"? I'm pretty sure that was us!!!

I really enjoyed it back then...before they had the banner, and the soft baseballs, and Wally, and the flatbed, and the music, and the e-mails from Red Sox nation, and the contest winners, and poor Johnny Pesky in the 20 degree weather...ahhhh...the days of yon...

I really don't care any more.

#5 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,407 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Oh screw you all.  I still get excited and want to add this to main board.

#6 fenwaypaul

• 3,154 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Oh screw you all.  I still get excited and want to add this to main board.

Good to see this. I was about to start a "Why doesn't anyone care about Truck Day any more?" thread.

Is there a reason the main board seems to be completely ignoring the fact that pitchers and catchers are reporting in like 5 days?  Shouldn't people be more excited for this?  Is there that much hangover from the last 2 seasons?  

SoSH participation seems to be down across the board, and I think this is precisely the reason.

#7 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9,850 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Live look as the truck heads down 95 to Florida...

2216283_o.gif

#8 fenwaypaul

• 3,154 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Live look as the truck heads down 95 to Florida...

2216283_o.gif

Can't really blame the driver for failing to anticipate a cross street on I-95.

#9 brs3

• 3,573 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

NESN is live blogging it

#10 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'm still amazed the team hasn't partnered with Garmin or TomTom to put a GPS transmitter and/or webcam on the truck so fans can track its progress. At the very least it would produce enough revenue to cover Nava's contract.

Or that they aren't assigning a NESN intern to ride south in the cab alongside longtime driver Al Hartz to detail all the refuelings, the weigh stations, the truck stop cuisine, the CB radio transmissions, the toll booths, the music choices, the number of cigarette butts Al leaves in the ash tray, etc.

Or airing a new reality show -- "Pookie" -- chronicling the rigors and frustrations of packing up all the team's shit, carefully loading it to achieve proper weight balance while maximizing use of space and geometric fit like a giant 3-D game of Tetris, only to have team execs come down at the last minute with their guitars, Harleys and other oddities and say "hey, put my ___ in there. And make sure it's in a safe place where it can't fall or be exposed to cold air drafts."

If you're going to commercialize Truck Day, you might as well go whole hog. Free coffee and foam baseballs only get you so far.

Edited by mabrowndog, 05 February 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#11 Phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11,268 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

I hope it runs over Lucchino.

#12 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4,784 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Until and unless the events of Truck Day have a material impact on the on-field product, it will continue to be no more meaningful than this UPS page.

#13 brs3

• 3,573 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Until and unless the events of Truck Day have a material impact on the on-field product, it will continue to be no more meaningful than this UPS page.

I don't recall anyone saying, 'Hey! What does Zenter think about TRUCK DAY? DOES HE THINK IT'S AS WICKED AWESOME AS EVERYBODY ELSE?'?

Truck Day rules.

Haters Gon' Hate.

#14 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12,652 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Truck Day is awesome.  The Farrell Red Sox Tickets ad on NESN has me jacked and pumped.  For all the (mostly deserved) shit Tom Werner gets, that ad is 30 seconds of brilliantly self-aware positioning.

Edit: I think there's always a lull before the storm on the board around this time.  Between Patriots ending and the Sox beginning is a bit of a SoSHoliday for a large segment, I suspect.

Edit2: Anyone know what zenter thinks about Truck Day?  Does he think it's as wicked awesome as everybody else?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by JimBoSox9, 05 February 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#15 ItOnceWasMyLife

• 1,612 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I hope it runs over Lucchino.

I laughed........HARD!

#16 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,398 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'm still amazed the team hasn't partnered with Garmin or TomTom to put a GPS transmitter and/or webcam on the truck so fans can track its progress. At the very least it would produce enough revenue to cover Nava's contract.

Truck Day: Destination Sizzle...

Truck Day makes me happy.

#17 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4,784 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Edit2: Anyone know what zenter thinks about Truck Day?  Does he think it's as wicked awesome as everybody else?  Thanks in advance.

I only have facts to contextualize its relevance to the on-field product. ;)

#18 JMDurron

• 4,318 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

All I know is that I get fresh cookies every truck day, so it must be a good thing.

I think the hangover effect is strong. Without the cookies, I wouldn't really care this year.

#19 sittingstill

• 1,313 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

020513_8823-L.jpg

THREE vacuums (my favorites!), two guitars, no bicycles. Things are definitely looking up!

#20 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12,652 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Every time I see that they're shipping down bubble gum and sunflower seeds, I think the Sox really need to hire Gagliano to optimize the whole process.

#21 LeoCarrillo

• Do his bits at your peril.

• 5,372 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

#22 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,611 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Those vacuums are the next merchandizing gambit, get your Red Sox model endorsed by John "clean sweep" Farrell.

#23 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,522 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

And a push broom. Lord knows they don't sell 'em down in Florida

#24 Adrian's Dome

• 2,587 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Some people look forward to Groundhog Day.

I look forward to Truck Day. It's step #1 in the process.

#25 SoxLegacy

• 548 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Some very funny thoughts in this thread....as for the day itself, I like it--it's fun, and whispers of the promise of (hopefully) good things to come. Besides, we all should rejoice in response to sittingstill's obersvation about the lack of a bicycle aboard!

#26 jose melendez

• Earl of Acie

• 12,858 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

We have too many threads on the main board with Truck or Tuck in the titles.  It's confusing.

#27 mwonow

• 1,551 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Thanks, but - no lead in that clip! Which resulted in another 45 minutes spent listening to other cuts...

So - thanks!

#28 koufax32

• He'll cry if he wants to...

• 3,388 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

I for one would relish the opportunity to pull up along side when it's passing through Jacksonville and start pumping my arm spastically until they honked.

That would be awesome.

#29 xpisblack

• 2,658 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

My mate (well, my sort-of cousin) wrote a short explanation of why he loves Truck Day.  Here are some excerpts:

Truck Day is probably my favorite day of the year. I love that fans go out to Fenway Park on an inevitably brutal February morning and throng the street watching the simple process of loading equipment onto a truck. We do it every year, raising ragged cheers and expressing heartfelt adulation because we know deep down that the simple act of preparing for the baseball season signals the symbolic defeat of winter; it’s the arrival of our Father Christmas to break the White Witch’s choke-hold on the Narnia of our fandom. Never mind that the first few weeks of home games in April are often brutally cold and sometimes snowy; it’s spring to us because we’ve baseball to watch. On Truck Day, we stand in the bitter— often inclement— frost, and celebrate the trucks’ lading. We salute their departure and follow their progress from Boston to Fort Myers, Florida, the team’s spring-training headquarters.

[....]

That’s Truck Day, Red Sox fans’ Mardi Gras. We reject one day of winter to delight in ridiculous excess, to stand outside cheering and whooping and hollering to demonstrate our passion and love in a public space and way, to deny the reality of our senses and spend some hours seeing only the semi-distant future, only our beloved team’s potential, and then we hole up again in partially abated sadness and anticipation and wait until the season truly begins. We may watch a spring training game or twenty, depending on broadcast availability, but we hold something back, knowing that the roster  remains fluid until Opening Day. It’s a muted, diminished celebration, and we reserve some devotion, some portion of our enthusiasm and soul, until our spiritual dawn truly breaks on Opening Night.

[....]

This is our contented springtide, our revelry in the valley of love and delight, where the world is filled with ebullient promise. Our second wintry Lent will begin soon, but first must come the bright rebirth of spring. Morning has broken, and for one glorious moment, all is right in the world. Truck Day has come, and winter’s hold is shattered once more. We shall rejoice and be glad in it.

Anyway, I hope you had a great Truck Day.  Janus knows this team need a fresh start.

#30 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,351 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

My mate (well, my sort-of cousin) wrote a short explanation of why he loves Truck Day.  Here are some excerpts:

Anyway, I hope you had a great Truck Day.  Janus knows this team need a fresh start.

That's a nice write-up from your cousin.

As for the fresh start, it's a little too late now but the team should have first loaded up one of these babies with anything directly connected to the misery of 2012 (starting with Bobby V's uniform and office contents) and called it Trash Day.

fae177eeb32f5048_Garbage_Truck_Picture_A

#31 sittingstill

• 1,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

If anyone can't get enough Truck Day, I have a whole gallery, as usual.

Who could resist such compelling drama?

020513_8878-M.jpg

#32 xpisblack

• 2,658 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

That's a nice write-up from your cousin.

As for the fresh start, it's a little too late now but the team should have first loaded up one of these babies with anything directly connected to the misery of 2012 (starting with Bobby V's uniform and office contents) and called it Trash Day.

<Photo snip>

Cheers, I'll pass that along.

Can someone who was there confirm or dispute the rumour that Lucchino kept awkwardly harping on last year?  My mate told me Lucky made a beeline for the cookies, but then joked that he hoped they weren't the same cookies as last year, and repeated variations on that joke to basically everyone he greeted, down to the hats and coats.

<Photo snip>

Fantastic gallery, ta for that.  My favourite photo is the "Computer Fragile" shot.  I presume that box "belonged" to Buchholz?

#33 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,611 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Fantastic gallery, ta for that.  My favourite photo is the "Computer Fragile" shot.  I presume that box "belonged" to Buchholz?

No, it's Carmine.

#34 SoxLegacy

• 548 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures--very cool! Who were the folks on the flatbed? I think that Truck Day is pretty damn cool--I am not sure if other teams have anything like this and it says something about the passion Sox fans have and the connection the team has with us. I mean, I know teams all have their own moving days, but the fact that Lucchino--one of the owners of the team, regardless of what you think of him--was out there with the truck is impressive to me. I think the only way the Orioles owner hits the streets is if there's an injured pedestrian nearby.

#35 SoxJox

• 1,069 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

020513_8823-L.jpg

THREE vacuums (my favorites!), two guitars, no bicycles. Things are definitely looking up!

Those vacuums are the 3 heretofore anonymous infielders the Red Sox have invited to ST.

Word has it they were discovered at The Hoover Institute's summer picnic last year.

Edited by SoxJox, 06 February 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#36 sittingstill

• 1,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures--very cool! Who were the folks on the flatbed? I think that Truck Day is pretty damn cool--I am not sure if other teams have anything like this and it says something about the passion Sox fans have and the connection the team has with us. I mean, I know teams all have their own moving days, but the fact that Lucchino--one of the owners of the team, regardless of what you think of him--was out there with the truck is impressive to me. I think the only way the Orioles owner hits the streets is if there's an injured pedestrian nearby.

The folks on the flatbed are "Fenway ambassadors"--folks who give tours, assist guests, work with promotions, etc. I think "Show enthusiasm!" is part of the job description.

And I absolutely give Lucchino props for coming out there. Toward my end of the fence, he didn't say anything about last year but was gracious and happy to shake hands and pose for photos. I wish I'd managed to get a good shot of Charles Steinberg, who was also there, though the best thing he did wouldn't have worked visually anyway. There was a youngster next to me hoping to see Middlebrooks as he passed by--not desperately so, but enough that he was disappointed when Will had to cut around us (this was late enough that the media crush of folks who had to get the exact same stills and video of the truck doors closing had begun, and there really wasn't room). The child's face had barely fallen when Steinberg was suddenly there quietly handing him a baseball--not the soft ones they toss, but a real one. The child was thrilled. I was very impressed.

#37 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7,815 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Just talked to my father on the phone. He said he attended some Truck Day event at his office building downtown where Cherington and Lucchino and Farrell took questions. Apparently, the goody bags they handed out — at least the one he got — contained a Larry Lucchino autographed baseball. 

We laughed about that, and he's going to send it to me. I'll share a photo with you guys...  :c070:

Edited by nvalvo, 06 February 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#38 sittingstill

• 1,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

You sure it was a Truck Day event? Farrell was doing interviews in Fort Myers yesterday.

#39 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4,371 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

Great pics, as always, Kelly! Thank you for sharing!

#40 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7,815 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

You sure it was a Truck Day event? Farrell was doing interviews in Fort Myers yesterday.

I thought he said Farrell was there. Maybe I misunderstood him. 

#41 xpisblack

• 2,658 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

I wish I'd managed to get a good shot of Charles Steinberg, who was also there...

From my mate, upon request (though none is a great shot):

And while I'm at it...

#42 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,522 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I imagine the Truck should be there by now?  Not broken down on the side of the road, waiting for the blizzard to further disable it and end up ravaged by the buzzards of southwestern Connecticut?

#43 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2,940 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

The Truck is due to arrive in Fort Myers late today and will be off-loaded tomorrow morning. Guess who's received security clearance to view the event? :)

#44 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12,652 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Tim Naehring.

#45 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4,371 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Curt Schilling.

#46 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,109 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Bo Sox Gent, considering your restraining order from the Kapler era is probably still in place.

#47 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 9,116 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Surely not Frankie Rodriguez.

#48 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2,940 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Problem with loading pics from Truck Day Fort Myers. brb.

Edited by BoSoxLady, 08 February 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#49 SoxinSeattle

• 566 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

Call me crazy or uninformed but I am optimistic about this year and the future of the Sox.  It feels very familiar to pre 2004 to me.  I'm optimistic with no real belief that the Sox can win the whole thing.  Sort of refreshing really.  Back to the good/bad old days.  Despite the payroll there are no big expectations of this team.  But if...the pitching staff can throw to potential, Ellsbury has a contract year, Papi comes back completely healthy, Nap dents the shit out 'o the monster...

#50 drbretto

• guidence counselor

• 4,361 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I'm only mildly crazy and uninformed, but I'm right there with you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users