Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Jailbreak for iOS 6.0/6.1 all devices released

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,931 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

http://www.evasi0n.com/

Oh yeah, also recommended that if you're iOS 6.0 now, you update to 6.1 before you jailbreak.

Requirements

• 5 minutes of your time!
  • A computer, running Windows (XP minimum), Mac OS X (10.5 minimum) or Linux (x86 / x86_64)
  • An iPhone, iPad or iPod running iOS 6.0 through 6.1 (you may check in Settings / General / About => Version)
  • A USB cable to connect the device to the computer

Important! Read me!

• Backup your device using iTunes (or iCloud) before using evasi0n. If
    something breaks, you'll always be able to recover your data.
  • Please disable the lock passcode of your iOS device before using evasi0n. It can cause issues.
  • Avoid all iOS and iTunes related tasks until evasi0n is complete.
    Why not just enjoy a brief break from the computer to stretch your legs?
  • If the process gets stuck somewhere, it's safe to restart the
    program, reboot the device (if necessary by holding down Power and Home
    until it shuts down), and rerun the process.
  • If you get an error on OS X 10.8 saying that evasi0n can't be
    opened, control-click (or right-click) the app and on the revealed
    context menu, choose 'Open.' On the ensuing dialogue box, choose 'Open'
    as well.

Edited by Omar's Wacky Neighbor, 04 February 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#2 czar

• fanboy

• 3,585 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Jailbreak was a breeze. Easiest one yet.

Cydia is predictably hammered, so I'll probably lie low for a couple days and wait for the buzz to die off before going any further.

#3 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Okay, my kid does this, but I've always avoided it.

Why should I do it?

Why shouldn't I?

#4 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8,384 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Okay, my kid does this, but I've always avoided it.

Why should I do it?

Why shouldn't I?

Same question here, what's the benefit?

#5 PBDWake

• 2,819 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Added UI customization, tethering, and in general, more control over your device. Plus, a lot of free apps. Haha

Edited by PBDWake, 04 February 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#6 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

But can your provider do anything?  Can Apple?

#7 czar

• fanboy

• 3,585 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

You essentially gain root access to the device.

Unless you are a hardcore nerd, some reasons people jailbreak (well, reasons I jailbreak I guess) are things like:

- Customizable wallpapers, icons, themes, etc.

- Assign gestures to certain actions (ex: I have it set so that swiping diagonal with two fingers composes an e-mail).

- Unrestrict non-wifi download speeds/limits (up until recently, it was the only way you could use Facetime/Skype without wifi)

- Quick reply to texts from the lockscreen/other apps (without having to switch to the Messages app).

- Ability to tether cellular data connection with other devices.

- Easy toggles for turning on/off things like Wifi/Bluetooth/etc.

- Ability to change default apps (for example, if I want Chrome to open instead of Safari when I click a link in an e-mail).

- Google Voice integration

- Game emulators

Illegally (I don't condone this since you are taking $$'s out of dev's pockets), you can also download/install cracked apps and circumvent the App Store, although the main method of doing this easily (Hackulous) seems to have gone by the wayside.

Edited by czar, 04 February 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#8 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8,384 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Added UI customization, tethering, and in general, more control over your device. Plus, a lot of free apps. Haha

Outside of "free app", the rest was gibberish to me.

#9 czar

• fanboy

• 3,585 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Not really.

Apple claims it's against their ToS and voids the warranty, but if you need to have hardware replaced, etc., you can just restore non-jailbroken via iTunes. But IME, guys at the Apple Store have never cared that I have been jailbroken. However, they will certainly close the loophole that evasi0n used in the next OS.

Carriers could care less, but (for example) AT&T has tried to crack down on people who use jailbroken devices to tether without paying them extra $. That's not really a jailbreaking problem, but more of a "how you are using the jailbreak" issue ATT has.

#10 Koufax

• 1,928 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Jailbreaking of devices other than cellphones is a DMCA violation.  http://iptoday.com/n...id=8191&type=ip .  Have fun, though.

#11 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,931 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Voids the warranty, if they can prove it.  Hell, it's Apple, if they have fair reason to believe you jailbroke it, they'll void the warranty.

Benefits:  customization, free apps, unapproved/unsupported apps.  eg:  right out of the gate, one of the benefits of Cydia is lowering the sensitivity of wifi detector.  Signal could be plenty strong to get onto, but iOS won't recognize it if they consider it too weak.

EDIT:  Yup, Cydia geting hammered.

Edited by Omar's Wacky Neighbor, 04 February 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#12 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,162 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

All worth it for adblock.

http://cydia.myrepospace.com/varju/ ----> SBadblocktoggle

#13 crow216

• SoSH Member

• 6,082 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

If you've been using an iPhone for a long time and you're a little bored with it, I consider it a perfect way to spice your handset relationship.

#14 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

You essentially gain root access to the device.

Unless you are a hardcore nerd, some reasons people jailbreak (well, reasons I jailbreak I guess) are things like:

- Customizable wallpapers, icons, themes, etc.

- Assign gestures to certain actions (ex: I have it set so that swiping diagonal with two fingers composes an e-mail).

- Unrestrict non-wifi download speeds/limits (up until recently, it was the only way you could use Facetime/Skype without wifi)

- Quick reply to texts from the lockscreen/other apps (without having to switch to the Messages app).

- Ability to tether cellular data connection with other devices.

- Easy toggles for turning on/off things like Wifi/Bluetooth/etc.

- Ability to change default apps (for example, if I want Chrome to open instead of Safari when I click a link in an e-mail).

- Google Voice integration

- Game emulators

Illegally (I don't condone this since you are taking $$'s out of dev's pockets), you can also download/install cracked apps and circumvent the App Store, although the main method of doing this easily (Hackulous) seems to have gone by the wayside.

Okay, sounds good.

How difficult is it to do any of these things once it's jailbroken?

My son said something about free apps.  Are these essentially pirating the real apps (which I wouldn't condone) or is someone making an app that's just really, really, really similar and not charging for it?

#15 czar

• fanboy

• 3,585 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Okay, sounds good.

My son said something about free apps.  Are these essentially pirating the real apps (which I wouldn't condone) or is someone making an app that's just really, really, really similar and not charging for it?

It's pretty straightforward. Your son can easily help you with it, but for many apps it's about the same level of difficulty as downloading through the App Store.

The free apps can mean both. There are plenty of free tweaks on Cydia that developers have contributed to the community -- some of which perform functions that apps sold via the App Store might charge for.

There is also a segment of the community that uses jailbreaks to allow for installation of pirated/cracked apps, but as someone who works in the software field, I think that's pretty lame.

#16 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 11,646 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Okay, sounds good.

It's pretty straightforward. Your son can easily help you with it, but for many apps it's about the same level of difficulty as downloading through the App Store.

The free apps can mean both. There are plenty of free tweaks on Cydia that developers have contributed to the community -- some of which perform functions that apps sold via the App Store might charge for.

There is also a segment of the community that uses jailbreaks to allow for installation of pirated/cracked apps, but as someone who works in the software field, I think that's pretty lame.

what Czar said. But make sure you know what tweaks/etc you are installing and what they do to the phone, Some might be useful but some might do more complex things or things you might not want your phone to do. Also I dont think winterboard (custom themes and icons) is as popular as it once was for some reason.

#17 Caspir

• 3,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Apple is never good to me. I always run the program and it just hands on the "Connect your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad to begin," but it's (iPad 2) already connected.

#18 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 11,646 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Apple is never good to me. I always run the program and it just hands on the "Connect your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad to begin," but it's (iPad 2) already connected.

If its not registering the Ipad, (your talking about the jailbreak?) try restarting your computer (but first quit every application) that usually fixes the issue

Edited by soxhop411, 04 February 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#19 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,270 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Never mind.

Edited by CaptainLaddie, 05 February 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#20 SuperManny

• 279 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Cydia was getting crushed yesterday but is doing better today.

#21 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,342 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

So the point of jailbreaking an iphone is to make it an Android, right?

#22 crow216

• SoSH Member

• 6,082 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

So the point of jailbreaking an iphone is to make it an Android, right?

You should comment on CNET, you'd fit right in.

No. Androids will always be more open source and capable of new things than an iPhone. Sure, some people who jailbreak are doing it and making their phones more like Androids but I don't think it would affect how much I like or dislike my iPhone if I couldn't jailbreak. I didn't jailbreak my iPhone 5 until 2 days ago and the only difference is that I'm playing SNES games on it now when I take a shit.

#23 weeba

• 1,494 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'm thinking about jailbreaking my iPad 2, because why not?  If it works, maybe I'll attack the phone next

If I do, what are some apps/games/themes/tweaks etc that are must haves?

#24 PBDWake

• 2,819 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

The big one I enjoy are, like crow, the old video game emulators. For phones, tethering applications are usually useful, as well as applications like "MyWi" which let you bypass the pre-set caps on download sizes. For added functionality, I used to use Zephyr for swipe motions to close and switch between apps. As for themes, I'm interested in suggestions myself. For an iPhone 5, are there any themes out there people enjoy?

#25 crow216

• SoSH Member

• 6,082 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Just a quick list of things I believe are fairly standard to download

iFile

SBsettings

gpSphone (the gameboy emulator)

and most importantly, add sources. hackulous is gone but there are plenty of good sources to get some good (and still legal) apps.

#26 SuperManny

• 279 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

The big one I enjoy are, like crow, the old video game emulators. For phones, tethering applications are usually useful, as well as applications like "MyWi" which let you bypass the pre-set caps on download sizes. For added functionality, I used to use Zephyr for swipe motions to close and switch between apps. As for themes, I'm interested in suggestions myself. For an iPhone 5, are there any themes out there people enjoy?

I have a 4S but I like the look of Boss.iOS as a theme.

Dashboard X is good for adding widgets.

Barrel modifies the look when swiping between pages on the home screen. (conflicts with Dashboard X re-sizing of widgets though)

Cyntact adds contact pictures to the list of contacts.

Five Icon Dock allows five icons on the dock instead of 4 (there are also unlimited docks available but I like 5 because they all fit on the screen)

Plugication turns music on when you plug in your headphones.

Zeppelin allows you to change the carrier logo to whatever you want.

I'm just looking into the available widgets, anyone use any good ones besides the default stock, weather, settings?

#27 Caspir

• 3,577 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

If its not registering the Ipad, (your talking about the jailbreak?) try restarting your computer (but first quit every application) that usually fixes the issue.

Yea, still not recognizing it. I've come to the conclusion that I suck. I can root Android stuff no problem, but this simple shit just doesn't work. Maybe I have to many apps running at start up and that's screwing with it, if a reboot usually works for others.

#28 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 4,372 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Yea, still not recognizing it. I've come to the conclusion that I suck. I can root Android stuff no problem, but this simple shit just doesn't work. Maybe I have to many apps running at start up and that's screwing with it, if a reboot usually works for others.

Try a different computer?

#29 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12,910 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

If I jailbreak my iPad, I assume I can split my screen in 4 and have multiple apps open at once?  That's really the only reason I can think of that would motivate me.

#30 czar

• fanboy

• 3,585 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

If I jailbreak my iPad, I assume I can split my screen in 4 and have multiple apps open at once?  That's really the only reason I can think of that would motivate me.

Google "Quasar" for iPads, but I don't know how polished the product is.

#31 weeba

• 1,494 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Just a quick list of things I believe are fairly standard to download

iFile

SBsettings

gpSphone (the gameboy emulator)

and most importantly, add sources. hackulous is gone but there are plenty of good sources to get some good (and still legal) apps.

I've now jailbroken; what sources should I add, and how do I do that?

#32 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,931 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

Google "Quasar" for iPads, but I don't know how polished the product is.

Thought Quasar wont work on 6.1?

Or maybe you can't install it on 6.1, if it isn't already there when you upgrade from 5.1?

Edited by Omar's Wacky Neighbor, 12 February 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#33 czar

• fanboy

• 3,585 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Thought Quasar wont work on 6.1?

Or maybe you can't install it on 6.1, if it isn't already there when you upgrade from 5.1?

Dev is @pedroh96.

Says native iOS6 should be ready within a week. Some people have reported that installing the old version works on some devices (likely the older A4 ones).

#34 weeba

• 1,494 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

So I grabbed some emulators for my iPad but have seen that some people have bluetoothed their Wiimote to their iPad.  Has anyone here done this? Is it easy?

#35 weeba

• 1,494 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

I can't recommend grabbing SBSettings if you haven't installed already.  I fucked up my lock screen and remove the slider icon, so I couldn't get into my iPad.  Via SBSettings, I was able to reboot into "safe mode" and remove the offending lockscreen app.

#36 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,931 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

My 11 y/o has a new favorite app:

Movie Box.

#37 weeba

• 1,494 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

With iOS moving to 6.1.2, how does the jailbreak process work? Just upgrade the iOS and rerun evasion?  How do I get all my tweaks/apps back once complete?

#38 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 11,646 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

With iOS moving to 6.1.2, how does the jailbreak process work? Just upgrade the iOS and rerun evasion?  How do I get all my tweaks/apps back once complete?

DO NOT UPDATE, until they say that there is a jailbreak for it, I think they said 6.1.2 patched the exploit

#39 weeba

• 1,494 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

I thought 6.1.3 was the iOS that blocked evasion? Maybe I'm getting my versions confused.  Pretend I said 6.1.1; does the above process apply?

#40 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,448 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

My 11 y/o has a new favorite app:

Movie Box.

Searching in Cydia and nothing is coming up...

#41 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,711 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

You probably need to add the repo.... google it

#42 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,931 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

You probably need to add the repo.... google it

The very thing I was about to suggest: google it, and see if it's worth tracking down.

Only problem with it is you have to leave the app running on the screen; it pauses if you run it in the background.  No one's found a workaround yet.

#43 czar

• fanboy

• 3,585 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

DO NOT UPDATE, until they say that there is a jailbreak for it, I think they said 6.1.2 patched the exploit

I thought 6.1.3 was the iOS that blocked evasion? Maybe I'm getting my versions confused.  Pretend I said 6.1.1; does the above process apply?

No, you're right. 6.1.2 is OK. 6.1.3 will patch the jailbreak but hasn't been released.

You cannot upgrade to an intermediate version of iOS because Apple's servers stop "signing" the new copy of the OS and won't authenticate the IPSW.

To upgrade to 6.1.2, you do a full backup of your phone, then restore (which erases the previous jailbreak and updates the iOS to the current version), then "setup phone from backup" or whatever it says, then just re-jailbreak with evasi0n.

Some people use software like PkgBackup to backup their Cydia tweaks -- I just have a list e-mailed to me using AppInfo and reinstall the tweaks because it A) causes me to purge ones I don't use and B) makes sure I only install ones compatible with that iOS version.

As always, before you do this, make 100% sure that you are upgrading to a jailbreakable version of iOS. If they release 6.1.3 tomorrow and you just "restore" without paying attention, there is currently no way to force a downgrade (even with blobs).

Edited by czar, 06 March 2013 - 08:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users