Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2/6 - Ronald Reagan Day (California) vs. Montreal

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#1 Titoschew

• 2888 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Win one for the Gipper.

kaberle2.jpg?w=620

#2 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4689 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Don't forget how to play defense like you have Alzheimer's like the Gipper.

#3 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 11037 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

This whole "waiting 4 days for a game" concept is the pits.

#4 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7244 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Don't forget how to play defense like you have Alzheimer's like the Gipper.

Why play like you have Alzheimer's when you can play dead like the Gipper?

Too soon?

Edited by kenneycb, 04 February 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#5 Hildy

• 1584 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

While we are waiting for way too many days to go by before hockey returns; Does anybody have any experience playing broom ball, or is that a lame sport that should not be mentioned in the same thread?  I'm trying to come up with an ice sport that is accessible to the skating impaired. It is astonishing to me how many of my kids' friends have never skated, and don't own skates. We live in New England; I always thought that skates were a  standard  childhood item, like a bike or four-square ball, but apparently not. 

In the meantime, pond ice is gonna be good this week.  Already went out for about 45 minutes this morning. More fun than the gym...

Edited by Hildy, 04 February 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#6 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4689 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

My wife can't skate but her family is lazy.  Can't believe there are that many kids in NE who don't skate.  Wow.

I have no experience with either of those sports.  Conceivably one could play hockey on ice without skates, though.  Sort of... floor ice hockey.

#7 The Four Peters

• 11037 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Conceivably one could play hockey on ice without skates, though.  Sort of... floor ice hockey.

That'd be pretty dangerous to be honest. It's really easy to fall like that, and falling on ice....hurts. A lot.

#8 Hildy

• 1584 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

It's getting to be pretty popular, apparently.  Beer leagues and everything:

http://www.boston.co...Y0vL/story.html

#9 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4689 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

It sure does.  But so does falling on ice skates.  Also broomball is played without skates.  

Presumably you'd alter the puck to have a bit more friction to slow it down (or just use a ball) and put something on your shoes to add more grip.

In other words, what's your point? /Myt1

#10 The Four Peters

• 11037 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I had no idea broomball was played on ice. My mistake.

It looks stupid.

#11 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4689 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

On that, we can agree.

#12 thehitcat

• 643 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Played it in college on the pond behind our dorm.  We used one of the basketballs from the Pop-a-shot.  We had a blast with it since none of us had our skates with us from home.  I think over the course of the one winter we played it regularly we ended up with only one concussion and one broken bone.  So no real safety issues.  I recommend it for folks who are either skating challenged or can't get to their blades. 

#13 kenneycb

• 7244 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

While we are waiting for way too many days to go by before hockey returns; Does anybody have any experience playing broom ball, or is that a lame sport that should not be mentioned in the same thread?  I'm trying to come up with an ice sport that is accessible to the skating impaired. It is astonishing to me how many of my kids' friends have never skated, and don't own skates. We live in New England; I always thought that skates were a  standard  childhood item, like a bike or four-square ball, but apparently not. 

In the meantime, pond ice is gonna be good this week.  Already went out for about 45 minutes this morning. More fun than the gym...

I'm pretty sure Mr. Canoe is an avid broomball player.

#14 Hildy

• 1584 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

My wife can't skate but her family is lazy.  Can't believe there are that many kids in NE who don't skate.  Wow.

I have no experience with either of those sports.  Conceivably one could play hockey on ice without skates, though.  Sort of... floor ice hockey.

I think that unless kids get involved in hockey, many families just don't bother with skating for the fun of it. More evidence of the world going to hell in a handbasket.  Even if they do, many parents won't let their kids out on ponds. If you have a backyard rink it's no big deal, but if you depend on the local rink for ice, that sucks because public rink skating is a whole lot of crowded circles.

Broomball: Yes, you use a dense foam type ball.  I think that if you are a skater, it's bound to look stupid, because it is essentially molasses hockey.  But on the other hand, its cheaper, and you don't have to know how to skate to play it so it gives non-skaters something to do on the ice. And plus, co-ed leagues. 

Edited by Hildy, 04 February 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#15 AMcGhie

• The Robinson Canoe of RMPS

• 1110 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm pretty sure Mr. Canoe is an avid broomball player.

Goalie last 3 years.  Fun game.  Never skated as a kid, but broomball is fun.  Looking to upgrade to hockey though soon.

The really important thing is that broomball is usually played at the end of the night, but before the ice is cleaned.  The ice is pretty choppy, making the surface just frictiony enough to not suck.  There were a couple nights where teams didn't practice because of the holidays that were rough, but for the most part, there's not a lot of falling down. 

Edited by AMcGhie, 04 February 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#16 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15418 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I think I just broke the Real Fantasy draft. Worth it.

Hockey tonight?

sadk.jpg

Shit.

#17 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15418 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Gotta be hockey tomorrow though, right?

Right?

No?

tumblr_kpaueoyVuO1qzrr0co1_500.jpg

Doubleshit.

#18 TheRealness

• Don't make him go all Lucic on your ash

• 8238 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

STOP FUCKING WITH THE KERMIT MOJO

#19 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15418 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm going to start a band and call it Kermit Mojo.

#20 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15418 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

We'll close every show with Rainbow Connection. It's gonna be great.

#21 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4689 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Except instead of the song it will be some kind of sex act involving buckets of food coloring, rubber hoses and lots of lubricant?

#22 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15418 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Come for the hockey talk, stay for the muticolored lubricated amphibian sex-act fantasies.

#23 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

HackswithHaggs: Bruins recall Ryan Spooner & he'll be on trip to Montreal. Have to assume things arent looking good for Marchand's availability

DanCagen: Spooner coming up is likely an indication Marchand or Paille will not play Wednesday.

GlobeFluto: Could see all-Providence line on Wednesday: Bourque-Spooner-Tardif.

#24 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4689 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Yeah for about 5 minutes.

#25 One Red Seat

• 967 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Just read on Rotoworld that Paille is thinking he will be good to go for Wednesday so Marchand is probably expected to be out

#26 kenneycb

• 7244 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Per NESN, Paille practiced and Thorton did as well but left early.  Marchand was not seen at practice which is...not good.

#27 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13590 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Boston Bruins
@NHLBruins

Brad Marchand is making the trip and will most likely be a game-time decision tomorrow...^CS

Coach just spoke to media prior to heading to MTL; said Thornton & Paille won't be making the trip but "very optimistic" about conditions^CS

#28 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4689 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Brad Marchand says shut your fuckin' mouth Kenney

#29 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16945 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Bobby Robins has 223 PIM in 43 games to lead the AHL by 23 PIM, with an average of just over 5 PIM per game.

Jesus

#30 kenneycb

• 7244 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Brad Marchand says shut your fuckin' mouth Kenney

You're a turd sandwich.

#31 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4689 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Eat me.

Oh, you can't because BRAD MARCHAND SAYS TO SHUT YOUR FUCKIN' MOUTH

#32 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4689 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Aaaanywho...

I realized last night that Superman probably uses The Implication to get laid. Like he rescues a chick and then flies up to the clouds with her and then he suggests sex while they're miles up in the air. There's no way she says no because he could totally drop her
It's the implication of the situation

So, Superman is an American Hero

and a rapist.

#33 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6842 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Do you think her fallopian tubes could handle his sperm? I guarantee you that when he comes during sex, he probally blows a load like a shotgun blast... right through her back! And if by chance Lois does get pregnent, what about her womb? Do you think it's strong enough to carry his child? He's an alien, for Christ sake. His Kyrptonian biological makeup is enhanced by earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan, the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way Superman could bang regular chicks is if he does it with a kryptonite condom, but that would probaly kill him! 

#34 PedroSpecialK

• 16945 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

#35 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2658 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

You know he's disgusted when he center aligns his face palm.

#36 Hildy

• 1584 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Goalie last 3 years.  Fun game.  Never skated as a kid, but broomball is fun.  Looking to upgrade to hockey though soon.

The really important thing is that broomball is usually played at the end of the night, but before the ice is cleaned.  The ice is pretty choppy, making the surface just frictiony enough to not suck.  There were a couple nights where teams didn't practice because of the holidays that were rough, but for the most part, there's not a lot of falling down. 

So this is just for a bunch of 12 year olds- do you think that I could get a bunch of $2.99 actual brooms from Building 19 and some sort of little soccer ball, and it'll still be entertaining? Shitty ice--hmmm. I won't be able to use the Homeboni. a disappointment for sure. 

Clearly none of you read the Twilight series (for which I salute you), in which the biological implications of human/alien reproduction were thoroughly explored.  The answer is for Superman to make Lois a vampire before she goes into labor.

#37 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12612 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Clearly none of you read the Twilight series (for which I salute you), in which the biological implications of human/alien reproduction were thoroughly explored.  The answer is for Superman to make Lois a vampire before she goes into labor.

I suspect a return salute is not merited.

#38 PedroSpecialK

• 16945 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

So this is just for a bunch of 12 year olds- do you think that I could get a bunch of $2.99 actual brooms from Building 19 and some sort of little soccer ball, and it'll still be entertaining? Shitty ice--hmmm. I won't be able to use the Homeboni. a disappointment for sure. 

#39 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12612 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

shorty was a cop.

#40 Dropkick Izzy

• 3439 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

JimBoSox is clearly on Team Jacob.

#41 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6343 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I'm not sure how Twilight made it in here, but I'm uncomfortable. Also, Superman is faster than a speeding bullet. I'm sure he could quickly pull out before blasting Lois through the back wall.

#42 SidelineCameras

• 915 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

If this is what happens in these gamethreads when there are three days off between games, then thank goodness for the shortened season.

#43 Hildy

• 1584 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

I suspect a return salute is not merited.

I could blame my daughter and say I was just reading them for quality assurance purposes, but that would be a bare-faced lie. They are horribly written, with a heroine who has the personality of a bowl of cold oatmeal, and a scary stalker vampire hero. 

I am ashamed. 

I'm not sure how Twilight made it in here, but I'm uncomfortable. Also, Superman is faster than a speeding bullet. I'm sure he could quickly pull out before blasting Lois through the back wall.

If he's that fast, maybe the guy has to worry about ready, fire, aim problems. Which brings us back to the kryptonite condoms.

Anyway, all I was saying is that there is a viable, scientifically proven method of carrying a half-alien baby to term if you are worried about it punching its way out rather than the more usual methods.  You don't necessarily need to resort to Wonder Woman's Wondrous Womb. 

Edited by Hildy, 05 February 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#44 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6842 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

If they made Lois a vampire in labor wouldn't her kid turn into Blade? But like a half superman Blade?

#45 Hildy

• 1584 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Are you calling Lois Lane a hooker? Or are you suggesting that  SuperBlade would grow up to kill his mother? Because either way, eww.

#46 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4689 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

I bet it shoots lasers.  Like people below the rape scene think there's some kind of fancy light show going on and get popcorn and shit and watch but really they are just watching Superman shooting loads.

I could blame my daughter and say I was just reading them for quality assurance purposes, but that would be a bare-faced lie. They are horribly written, with a heroine who has the personality of a bowl of cold oatmeal, and a scary stalker vampire hero. 

I am ashamed. 

If he's that fast, maybe the guy has to worry about ready, fire, aim problems. Which brings us back to the kryptonite condoms.

Anyway, all I was saying is that there is a viable, scientifically proven method of carrying a half-alien baby to term if you are worried about it punching its way out rather than the more usual methods.  You don't necessarily need to resort to Wonder Woman's Wondrous Womb. 

It's ok, we all do things for which we are ashamed.  That's why Superman always takes his victims into the clouds.

Didn't the pregnancy in those books end with the father eating the kid out of the mother's womb?  Goddamn those were messed up.  And that's coming from a guy who thinks about Superman rape in the watches of the night.

#47 MiracleOfO2704

• not AWOL

• 2737 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Do you think her fallopian tubes could handle his sperm? I guarantee you that when he comes during sex, he probally blows a load like a shotgun blast... right through her back! And if by chance Lois does get pregnent, what about her womb? Do you think it's strong enough to carry his child? He's an alien, for Christ sake. His Kyrptonian biological makeup is enhanced by earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan, the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way Superman could bang regular chicks is if he does it with a kryptonite condom, but that would probaly kill him! 

I might be one of the few that gets this, but reading this in H. Jon Benjamin's voice is better than Jason Lee's read.

#48 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12612 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

If this is what happens in these gamethreads when there are three days off between games, then thank goodness for the shortened season.

Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in the Port Celler game threads or something.

#49 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 6022 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I might be one of the few that gets this, but reading this in H. Jon Benjamin's voice is better than Jason Lee's read.

I got it. It made me smile.

#50 Hildy

• 1584 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

I bet it shoots lasers.  Like people below the rape scene think there's some kind of fancy light show going on and get popcorn and shit and watch but really they are just watching Superman shooting loads.

It's ok, we all do things for which we are ashamed.  That's why Superman always takes his victims into the clouds.

Didn't the pregnancy in those books end with the father eating the kid out of the mother's womb?  Goddamn those were messed up.  And that's coming from a guy who thinks about Superman rape in the watches of the night.

It did. First he turned his wife into a vampire, then once she was undead he ripped the little critter out with force. I think. I'm not going to go check though, because then the shame would only increase. 

Edit: I didn't get the joke, but it was funny at face value thank god. I figure 80% of the remarks in here go straight over my head anyways.

Edited by Hildy, 05 February 2013 - 10:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users