Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2013 Prediction Thread

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

So the Super Bowl is over.... Pitchers and catchers is right around the corner. I figured it would be fun to have a Sandbox thread where you predict the 25man opening day roster and the win-loss record at season's end.

My opening day roster:

1. Jacoby Ellsbury CF
2. Dustin Pedroia 2B
3. David Ortiz DH
4. Mike Napoli 1B
5. WMB 3B
6. Johnny Gomes LF
7. Jared Salty pants C
8. Shane Victorino RF
9. Steven Drew SS

1. Jon Lester
2. Clay Buchholz
3. Ryan Dempster
4. Felix Doubront
5. John Lackey

Bullpen

1. Hanrahan CL
2. Bailey SU
3. Tazawa SU
4. Morales LHSU
5. Uehara RHSU
6. Miller Loogy
7. Aceves SWING

Bench
1. Holt
2. Ross
3. Nava
4. Ciriaco

I think they will pick-up a LHH hitting Outfielder for the bench and when they do, he'd take the spot that I have Nava in.

Record : 86-76 just missing the playoffs.... For Bonus bragging rights put your list in the opening day batting order and the order the rotation will slot in at.

Edited by Hugh G Rection, 04 February 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#2 Sampo Gida

• 3,163 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

I think Breslow makes it over Miller and Sweeney over Holt.

My prediction is 88 +/- 7 W with a decent shot at the division in a weaker AL East if they are on the plus side of the tolerance (which could happen if they are exceptionally healthy).

Opening day batting order (CC)

Ellsbury

Victorino

Pedroia

Papi

Napoli

WMB

Gomes

Drew

Salty

Against RHP'ers

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Papi

Napoli

WMB

Victorino

Gomes

Salty

Drew

Rotation order

Lester

Buchholz

Lackey

Doubront

Dempster

#3 sancap14

• 233 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

It's hard to believe that after freeing up so much money last season... That's the rotation we're starting the season with. Not trying to beat a dead horse here either but that is one unimpressive roster. An injury to any of those 5 and this season is probably over. We need more depth.

Ells
Pedroia
Ortiz
Napoli
Middlebrooks
Victorino
Gomes
salty
drew

Lester
Buchholz
Doubrant
lackey
Dempster

Bench

Sweeney
Ciriaco
Ross
Nava

Here's hoping everybody stays healthy and the youngins continue to develop. There's no certainty in this game with any team but it seems as though the Red Sox have a whole lot more "ifs". 87 wins miss the playoffs.

Edited by sancap14, 04 February 2013 - 09:53 PM.

#4 Sampo Gida

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

It's hard to believe that after freeing up so much money last season... That's the rotation we're starting the season with. Not trying to beat a dead horse here either but that is one unimpressive roster. An injury to any of those 5 and this season is probably over. We need more depth.

Ells
Pedroia
Ortiz
Napoli
Middlebrooks
Victorino
Gomes
salty
drew

Lester
Buchholz
Doubrant
lackey
Dempster

Bench

Sweeney
Ciriaco
Ross
Nava

Here's hoping everybody stays healthy and the youngins continue to develop. There's no certainty in this game with any team but it seems as though the Red Sox have a whole lot more "ifs". 87 wins miss the playoffs.

I think the rotation has a lot of upside.  Lackey, Lester and Buchholz returning to 2010 form would make for an impressive staff.  Doubront is a good number 4.  Not so sure about Dempster.

As for depth, Rubby is waiting in the wings, as well as Webster, and Morales and Aceves can always be stretched out to start.  If they need more depth than that the season is over anyways,.

It was a weak free agent class, not anyone you really wanted to sink a pile of money into.  Should have a better idea what prospects will be close to MLB ready for 2014 after this year which will help prioritize needs going into the free agent season.  Better pickings for next year, especially pitching.

Edited by Sampo Gida, 05 February 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#5 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

I actually think that depth in the rotation is one of the stronger aspects of the Org. you have Morales who by all accounts is on the verge of a breakout as a starter, with other teams scouting him to try and pilfer him on the cheap, you have Rubby, who if healthy could be in the top 3 if he gets a shot. You then have fallback young types like Webster and Mortensen. I think the weakness in the rotation is more on the front end.... there is no true number 1 starter, it is a rotation made up of 3's and 4's.

As for Beslow over Miller.... I took Miller, because I think Breslow will be used in a trade during ST to try and get a stronger LHH outfielder/1stbase. I know the sox signed SWeeney and Overbay, but they should be able to get someone better with the trade chips they have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users