Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Super Bowl Game Thread

• Please log in to reply
2437 replies to this topic

#1 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16,919 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

6:30pm.

Niners -3.5. O/U 48.

49ers versus The Ravens. Harbaugh v. Harbaugh. Ray Lewis v. The Devil. Ray Lewis v. Deer Antlers. Kaepernick v. Alex Smith.

#2 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,304 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Not a big surprise, but like most Pats fans I'm SF all the way today.

And hopefully there's a funny ad or three.  Already seen the Jamaican/VW one that was decried as racist.  Not by Jamaica, who apparently embraced it, but by a couple of old white ladies.

#3 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,012 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Miss the old says of Syracuse/Georgetown at noon, Celtics/Lakers at 3:30 then the NFC kicks the shit out of the AFC at 6:30.

#4 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,347 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Just let us see Ray cry tears of agony. So sick of this guy.

#5 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,021 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Fuck the Ravens

#6 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4,238 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

I hate Baltimore but I think they're going to win the game.

#7 Phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11,312 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Murder them

#8 lostjumper

• 939 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

I'm rooting for an earthquake...

#9 Dehere

• 2,441 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Good morning from New Orleans.

I feel extremely lucky to say that this will be my tenth Super Bowl in person, and although I don't have a real stake in either team I'm so excited I can barely contain myself. The Super Bowl is by a huge margin my favorite event of the year and I believe it's the quintessential day in American life.

The days that we think of as major holidays - Thanksgiving, Christmas, the 4th of July - all strike me in some way as metaphors for the way we wish life could be but too rarely is. The Super Bowl is us as we really are. Everything that defines America for better and worse is in evidence here: corporate power, media influence, celebrity culture, excessive jingoism, the class divide, the embrace of competition, the way sports brings people and communities together like absolutely nothing else. It's all here. I often think that I could teach someone from another country more about America in four days at the Super Bowl than they could learn in four years at a university. And if that all sounds a little grandiose, well, cut me some slack. If ever there were a day for grandiosity, Super Sunday is it.

Wherever you are and whoever you're watching it with, enjoy the game. This is our day.

#10 JCizzle

• 2,382 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Nervous as fuck. A Niner loss here would be up there with '03 Sox, '09 Celtics and '11 Sox for me.

#11 Dan to Theo to Ben

• SoSH Member

• 5,041 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Whoever wins, it's gonna suck, I just don't want Flaccid Joe to have the one playoff TD record. He has 8 now, Montana with 11, IIRC. Can't stand either team, although I did sort of like the Montana/Rice niners, just not the pre-Santa Clara Jimbo version

#12 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,576 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Nervous as fuck. A Niner loss here would be up there with '03 Sox, '09 Celtics and '11 Sox for me.

It wouldn't be as bad as any of those for me (good job Culliver, Brooks and Sopoaga, you fucking assholes).

But I wouldn't want to be a part of the first 49er team to lose a Super Bowl.

#13 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,021 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

No one but Niners fans care about this.  It's just like that undefeated playoff record at Lambeau the Packers wouldn't shut the fuck up about.

#14 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,376 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Let's go, team that isn't the Ravens!

#15 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 6,295 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

No pregame dance for Ray-Ray. Warrior.

#16 fineyoungarm

• tweets about his subwoofer!

• 3,966 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

First SB in NOLA since the storm in '05. Purpose of that point is my belated observation that the game has been totally absorbed by the "event" and the event is now primarily the major annual convention of the media and entertainment businesses. For example, was on a flight coming home on Friday - sitting next to a FOX employee, who was advising those around her that the network had "reserved" the Ritz Carlton. She "couldn't wait to leave" on Saturday evening. Paul McCartney (noted American football afficianado) is here "to promote his brand". This thing has been corprate for decades, but the current extent of that and the focus on "the business" - I had no idea. Of course, the NFL is king of the media/entertainmnet hill - so it all makes sense.

#17 soxin6

• 194 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

No one but Niners fans care about this.  It's just like that undefeated playoff record at Lambeau the Packers wouldn't shut the fuck up about.

Being surrounded by 9er fans here in SoCal, I can honestly say that hearing about their undefeated Super Bowl record for two weeks is making me root for the Ravens. The people around me have been insufferable and they need to go back under the rock they have been hiding under for more than a decade.

#18 fineyoungarm

• 3,966 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Being surrounded by 9er fans here in SoCal, I can honestly say that hearing about their undefeated Super Bowl record for two weeks is making me root for the Ravens. The people around me have been insufferable and they need to go back under the rock they have been hiding under for more than a decade.

9er's fans in SoCal. Think about it. No team to call their own. Wonderful.

#19 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,576 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

No fucking shit, guess what my favourite football team is.

If the choice is losing the Super Bowl or losing in the NFC title game give me the scenario without two weeks of hoping for a parade every time. It ain't baseball where you still get a flag, there's no honor in losing a Super Bowl.

#20 DieHardSoxFan1

• Smarter than Theo, just ask him

• 2,777 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

If the choice is losing the Super Bowl or losing in the NFC title game give me the scenario without two weeks of hoping for a parade every time. It ain't baseball where you still get a flag, there's no honor in losing a Super Bowl.

I really needed that laugh. 

#21 JCizzle

• 2,382 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

It wouldn't be as bad as any of those for me (good job Culliver, Brooks and Sopoaga, you fucking assholes).

Yeah, I was disgusted by that as well. However, I have confidence that Jed is going to deal with them in the offseason. I was encouraged that him and Harbs came out very strongly against their words immediately after they hit the press.

#22 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,576 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I really needed that laugh. 

I've lived in England for six years, you clown, and I write in British English for a living. Plus I'm typing on my iPhone.

But hey, have fun watching my team in the Super Bowl.

#23 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,576 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, I was disgusted by that as well. However, I have confidence that Jed is going to deal with them in the offseason. I was encouraged that him and Harbs came out very strongly against their words immediately after they hit the press.

It's really pissed me off, it's just unconscionable that three players would choose this week to decide to air their views, when the 49ers were finally stepping out of the shadow of all the shit that happened over the past 10 years...including, as you may remember, a homophobic, racist, sexist video that basically spat in the face of everything that makes San Francisco San Francisco.

In a utopian world Harbaugh cuts those three guys and goes out to win 55-10 and they don't get rings, but I'll settle for 24-17 and a Jake Powell-style apology tour across every bar in the Castro.

#24 DieHardSoxFan1

• Smarter than Theo, just ask him

• 2,777 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

I've lived in England for six years, you clown, and I write in British English for a living. Plus I'm typing on my iPhone.

Sick burn, bro. "My team."

#25 There is no Rev

• through the velvety hallway

• 23,820 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Having not really thought about the game for well over a week, I find myself staunchly in the 49ers camp. Not sure where the SF hate/ambivalence comes from--Kaepernick seems like an excellent young qb, perhaps part of the class that is ushering in a new form of play that people prematurely thought was coming with Michael Vick, team plays tough and fast, and is just good football (although that line play shenanigans KFP pointed out is annoying, that's on the refs).

Baltimore on the other hand... Um... I liked Ed Reed a few years ago, so there's that.

#26 There is no Rev

• 23,820 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hey, out of curiosity: does anyone actually have the Super Bowl pregame show on?

#27 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,376 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hey, out of curiosity: does anyone actually have the Super Bowl pregame show on?

ESPN does

#28 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,322 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I watched far too much pre-game hype the last two weeks and never saw anything about the Brooks/Sopoaga thing until this thread. OTOH, Culliver was all over TV for a couple of days. Brooks/Sopoaga seem just dumb, maybe being steered into a room where the video was being taken without bothering to find out what it was all about. Wouldn't be the first dumb thing football players have done. How about the video of Gore, Crabtree, Willis and Bowman going into a strip club? Who cares.

#29 Remagellan

• 4,532 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I'm watching Ripper Street, then Girls, then I'll figure out something else to watch, because I can't stand Super Bowl pregame shows.   

#30 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5,985 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

It's so sad that he has to announce before the game he's not doing his dance. What a douche. I hope he gets hurt on the last play of the game, they lose and he can't walk again. Then someone does his dance over his body.

#31 Michelle34B

• 102 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

The NFC Conference Championship games between the New York Football Giants and the 49ers are two of the best games I have ever seen.    

#32 Lars The Wanderer

• 3,434 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

I am not at all as confident as most of the folks are around here about this game. I hope the 49ers win. It is going to be a nail biter.

#33 ilol@u

• 1,820 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Fuck John Fox, Peyton Manning and that stupid Broncos DB who got burned on the Jcoby Jones catch. the Pats should be playing today.

#34 fineyoungarm

• 3,966 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

I'm watching Ripper Street, then Girls, then I'll figure out something else to watch, because I can't stand Super Bowl pregame shows.   

Nazi Titanic is just wrapping up on The History Channel.

#35 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,347 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Fuck John Fox, Peyton Manning and that stupid Broncos DB who got burned on the Jcoby Jones catch. the Pats should be playing today.

A Gronk-less Pats team wasn't going to beat Denver anyways.

#36 There is no Rev

• 23,820 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

I watched far too much pre-game hype the last two weeks and never saw anything about the Brooks/Sopoaga thing until this thread. OTOH, Culliver was all over TV for a couple of days. Brooks/Sopoaga seem just dumb, maybe being steered into a room where the video was being taken without bothering to find out what it was all about. Wouldn't be the first dumb thing football players have done. How about the video of Gore, Crabtree, Willis and Bowman going into a strip club? Who cares.

I encourage anyone who is wondering to google the bolded--holy shit that's hysterical.

#37 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,021 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

There's honour in losing conference title games?

#38 cornwalls@6

• 212 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

It's so sad that he has to announce before the game he's not doing his dance. What a douche. I hope he gets hurt on the last play of the game, they lose and he can't walk again. Then someone does his dance over his body.

Also, if the first 49er to score a touchdown doesn't do the antler dance, he's just not trying.

#39 crystalline

• 2,376 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'll spoil this episode of Girls for you: Lena Dunham gets naked.

#40 quint

• I learned this face in prison

• 2,201 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Isn't there some other place you can go be a raging twat?

#41 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,186 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

There's honour in losing conference title games?

Ask Berry.

#42 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,322 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

The NFC Conference Championship games between the New York Football Giants and the 49ers are two of the best games I have ever seen.    

Last year and what was the other one? the Roger Craig fumble game?

#43 There is no Rev

• 23,820 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Isn't there some other place you can go be a raging twat?

That's what she said!

#44 ScubaSteveAvery

• the goats! think of the goats!

• 7,152 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'm more interested in how Spaceman's Bong managed to become a larger douche than Ray Lewis about this game.

#45 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,322 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

The Mercedes-Benz Kate Upton carwash is one of the commercials today. 

#46 There is no Rev

• 23,820 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I've now given this some thought, and I think a "raging douche" would be a seriously poorly designed product.

#47 Lars The Wanderer

• 3,434 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

I've now given this some thought, and I think a "raging douche" would be a seriously poorly designed product.

Or douche flavoring idea. I would imagine "raging douche" would be extra spicy.

#48 kartvelo

• 3,812 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

I saw about 45 seconds of SB pregame show. Some idiot was preaching about how Ray Lewis decided, after his retirement announcement, that his team would win, and he made it happen, and that will be his legacy - that he could accomplish whatever he wanted.

That was enough for me.

Edited by kartvelo, 03 February 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#49 ScubaSteveAvery

• the goats! think of the goats!

• 7,152 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

I saw about 45 seconds of SB pregame show. Some idiot was preaching about how Ray Lewis decided, after his retirement announcement, that his team would win, and he made it happen, and that will be his legacy - that he could do whatever he wanted.

That was enough for me.

I've found the Puppy Bowl IX more enlightening than the pregame show. 

#50 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7,776 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'm rooting for SF (dislike the Ravens and I now live about 10 miles from Candlestick), but this is a cool story for anyone looking for some pro-Baltimore feel-good stories: http://www.newsday.c...sease-1.4516066

Brigance went to my alma mater and was on the 2000 Super Bowl-winning Ravens, the 2001 Rams team the Pats beat in the Super Bowl, and (just for one game) the 2002 Pats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users